FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Andy Crowley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Andy Crowley
    Posted: 10/26/10 at 6:55am

I have been reading these things for a while, and it's really interesting and enjoyable to watch peoples' progress as well as pick up a few training tips here ad there.  That being said, I have finally decided to throw my hat in the ring as well.  I'm definitely not the strongest or biggest guy (probably one of the smallest, in fact, haha) but I think this will be a fun little experiment.

First the current numbers (lifetime pr in parentheses):

Body weight: 186lbs today

Bench: 305 (320)

Back Squat: 515 (525)

Front Squat: 350 (350)

Deadlift: 500 (545)

Pushpress: (255x2)

Clean: (320)

Snatch (185x3)

I haven't been able to do the last three lifts this off-season due to a problem with my left bicep.  It's on the mend though, and I am hopeful I can work my way back into these lifts soon.

Now a little overview of the highland games season:

The good:

LW: 61 something (ask Terry. He has the results)

HW (42): 41'

Hammers and sheaf are starting to come around finally.  Sadly, it didn't happen until after the season.  Also had a breakthrough in caber before hurting my bicep.  I'm optimistic about these events for next year.

The bad:

STONES!  They used to be my bread and butter, but now they went to crap.  OS specifically.  My base is too wide in my power position because I am not pulling my right leg under me enough during my glide.  This causes me to push off my front leg to the point of knee hyperextension while my back leg is off the ground and bent.  This takes away a lot of power.  This year's PR- 40 and low change.  Last year- 44'

WOB.  No PR this year.  15' used to be automatic with the 42 and I hit 13' last year with the 56 but this year I struggled to repeat with the 42 and only made 12' with the 56.  I'm not sitting on the weight long or hard enough, so a lot of my hip drive is lost.  Too much relying on back arch.  Like to leave the weight out in front of the bar.  

Inconsistency has plagued me since the beginning of my highland games career.  Now in my third year, I feel it is getting better, but is still the one thing I want to improve on the most.  As for now though, bring on the weights!

"Three hams will kill him." -A reliable medical journal

Proud memeber of the Northside Throwing Club/Wisconsin Department of Zombie Defense
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/10 at 7:04am

We havea pretty rigid workout plan, so this may get a little boring.  I think to combat that, I will try to narrow it down to the most interesting aprts of the workout.

Last night we did bench and guns.  Pretty much just an aux. day in the middle of our workout.  Trying to mix things up and see what happens.   

Tempo bench: 4x5@5-0-5 What a bear that was!

135,140,140,145 Helped diagnose some problems I have in bench.  Got me to really pinch my shoulder blades and keep everything tight.  I can definitely see the benefits. 

We also did some tempo skull crushers and grip work.  Luke and Wade did tempo curls.  I opted out due to my lame bicep.  I want to close the 300lb gripper sometime before I die!

Deads and front squat tonight.  We'll see how this goes...

Proud memeber of the Northside Throwing Club/Wisconsin Department of Zombie Defense
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/10 at 7:51am
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/10 at 4:05pm

Did a shoulder/trap circuit for a warm-up (presses/raises/power shrugs, etc.)followed by base week workout for deads and FS.

Deads: 5x5 up to 375.  Felt sluggish but all the weights went up easy.  I guess that is encouraging? Pretty meh.

FS: 5x5 up to 245.  Felt pretty good.  Nice and snappy.  It's light weight though, so I suppose that is to be expected.  All in all, a pretty uneventful night.

It's hard to get a bead on where I am at working with lighter weights.  I don't know what to think.  Just got to have faith that this will work out and get me ready for the big weights.  Goal for eight weeks from now: deadlift 530x2 and front squat 350x2.  Here's hopin'...

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/10 at 4:16am
Andy you skinny son of a you know what! When are you going to stop starving yourself and put on some size and join Wade, your brother, and myself?
The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/10 at 7:11am
Easier said than done my friend. I make no effort to stay small.
Mass gain has just always eluded me.   I am just embracing my "little guy" role while trying go get semi-strong. For now anyway.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/10 at 12:37am

Recent workouts. 

Saturday went to Roslik's for a throwing/meat-eating/lifting/drinking shindig.  It was a great time.  Brian Hare blew my mind with his hammer knowledge.  I hope I can get my body to do the things he demonstrated.  That dude can chuck some hammers.  We threw everything from weights to stones, and even a little discus.  Luke set some All-Fruit World records (verification of weights pending) for farthest throws ever while wearing a banana costume.  Lifting was uneventful for me.  I was having a very weak feeling day, but it was a heck of a time reguardless.  Wade got an easy 600lb trap bar deadlift.  Looked like he was going to jump off the floor with it.  Roslik, Hare, and Luke did some crazy 2" bar cleans.  At that point I was okay with being unable to do any oly pulls.  Looked like zero fun. 

Last night was load week for squats.  5x5 up to 395.  Everything felt great.  Very light, tight, and snappy.  I'm excited to get some big weights on my back soon.  Next week is recovery week, then things get a little more serious for peak week.  I can't wait.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/10 at 2:49pm

Bench and guns day.

Bench was 5x5 @ 7-0-2 tempo

Then DB incline for the first time since hurting my bicep (technically it's the first dumbell anything since the injury).  Nice and easy 3x8 @ 70s, 75s, 80s

Felt good.  Not much to say.  Pretty gassed after that.

For guns I just did 3x5 skull crushers w/ 45s on the easy curl bar and 4x10 on v-bar pulldowns with whatever the full stack is.  Tri's feel strong. 

My hurt bicep/elbow was feeling good so I tried some push press.  A wider grip took some stress off my bicep.  I was still afraid to go heavy, so I just did 2x5 @ 185.  My pressing muscles were pretty well shot, but the weights went up nice with minimal discomfort.  Tweeked something in my lower back a bit.  Feels better already though.  No worries.  Already jacked for tomorrow.  Woot.

Tomorrow is deads and front squat 5x5 for load week.  I'm excited.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/10 at 8:57am

Thursday's workout: I lied.  It's 6x5.  Went up to 400 on deads and 260 on fronts.

Deads went pretty well.  Strength is right where it should be.  Endurance, not so much.  I feel like I was way too tired going into my second set at 400 (5th set overall) and subsequently, my entire FS workout.  I'm hoping some of this has to do with my silly decision to lift with nothing but Jack3d and creatine in my stomach.  Morning workouts don't agree with me. 

I find front squat to be very tough after deads.  I haven't come close to failing on a set, but everything just seemds harder than it should be.  Then again, I'm not a very good front squatter.  We'll see what happens.  Tomorrow starts the much needed (but quite boring) recovery week.  I hope to get out and throw sometime before it gets too terrible cold.  Probably just some sheaf.  My everything hurts.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 1:03am

Lat night started recovery week.  Thank God for it.  I'm very worn down.  Didn't go heavier than 360x5.  Felt like poo.  Glad it's over. 

One good thing that happened though is I hang cleaned for the first time in forever. Only went to 225x5.  My timing is way off and my pull was wierd, but it felt good to do them again.  Some reps hurt my bicep, some didn't, but none of it was severe, and I feel fine today.  Pretty excited about that.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 5:24am
Why would you have gone up to 400 on deads?  400 x 5?  Or were you just testing your max for the program?

No way I'd do fronts after deads.  That would be too much for this fine specimen.
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 7:02am

I'm just following the workout.  For load week, my 4th and 5th set were at 400lbs.  That's with a 530lbs max (estimated because I don't quite feel i'm back to my former max, but 500 flew off the floor a few weeks back). 

As for fronts after deads, yeah it's a real B, but there isn't really anywhere else we can put them.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/10 at 4:52pm

3x5 @ 5-0-5 on bench.  Yawn.  Guns and grip work.  Double yawn.

Deads, fronts, and throwing tomorrow then only three twelve hour over-night shifts stand between me and peak week.

Nothing too exciting happened tonight. 

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/10 at 2:26pm

Recovery week for fronts and deads.  4 or 5...i don't remember...some amount of sets x 5.  Up to 245 on fronts and 345 on deads. Felt good and snappy.  Like recovery week should I suppose.

Threw some hammer today.  Went very well for me.  Was hitting pretty consistently over 90' in the LH.  Nothing huge, but a step in the right direction.  Thank you, Brian Hare. 

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/10 at 8:50am

Peak week has begun.  6x5 back squat with the heaviest two sets at 425.  Felt very very easy.  Especially the second set.  Felt like I could have done ten with no problem.  I'm very excited to start threes next week.  Five is so many.

Agenda:  Work the next two days.  Bench/guns wednesday.  Deads and front squat thursday.  Can't wait. 

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/10 at 4:07am
What exactly are we peaking for? Testing? Or just for the hell of it? Either I am not poking fun just trying to understand your program.
The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/16/10 at 8:45am
It's not really peaking in the traditional sense.  It's just the week where we get to our heaviest weights/most sets.  The workout is eight weeks composed of two cycles of base, load, recovery, and peak weeks.  The first four weeks is fives followed by twos and threes for the last four weeks.  The goal is to be able to do your 1RM four a double by the end of week eight.  I believe we're going to do this 2 or 3 times and up the percentages to keep the weights going up without having to retest maxes or whatever.  As we get closer to the season, I believe the idea is to transition into more explosive/ power/speed movements and of course throwing.  With such a long offseason though, we are just trying to get a very strong base during the beginning part.  I think that sums it up.  Luke could give you more insight though I'm sure. 

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/10 at 12:13pm

Deads up 425 for two sets of five. First set felt meh second set felt great.  The following 375 drop set felt like poo.  Little to no snap left.

Fronts up to 280 for two sets of five.  Breathing was hard and I was timid on the descent.  I got no bounce out the hole at all.  I was light headed for every rep in both sets at 280.   I need to figure out a better way to rack the weight.  As much as I hate the idea, I might try some sets "genie style."

Sunday starts the threes.  Thay will be a very much welcomed change.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/10 at 12:31pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about wednesday's workout.

Bench 10,8,5,3,1, 10+

185,225,255,275,295, didn't do it.

I was pretty well burnt out after the second set. My muscular endurance is not where it should be.

incline db, tempo flies @5-1-5 (why not?),skull crushers, pulldowns, light close grip, dip burnout

Not a whole lot of structure.  Just doing what feels good until it stops feeling good.  The Y angers me.  One power rack which is usually taken by people doing curls or shrugs, and a guy who stays on the one good incline bench for literally half an hour. 

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/10 at 11:00am
Haven't updated in a while.  Started with the threes last week.  Felt pretty good.  Fronts felt gggrrrrrreeeeatt though.   Wasn't really in the mindset for deads, but they went up easy.  Oh well.  Load week starts tonight.  Now is when things start to get serious.  I'm excited. 

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/10 at 1:11pm
Keep working those reps.  Maintain the intensity.
The man in the arena.
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/10 at 3:49pm

Squat went great tonight with the threes.  315,375,425,450,475,425.  I've done 475 for a triple before but never with as much ease and sauciness as tonight.  I definitely could have pounded out some more reps, but deviation is a no no. 

Bench again on Wednesday.  Goal is to shoot for a big three rep.  I like this workout because I can focus on "PRing" on a different set each week. 

I'm already sweating Thursday's deads and fronts.  I'll definitely need to be on top of my game, and in the right frame of mind.  Heavy set is 480x3 on deads I beleive.  I haven't pulled that much for reps since I hurt my back a year or so ago.  Guns up.  Let's do this.

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/10 at 3:55pm

Don't talk about it...Be about it.  In the words of Mike Smith:

"Get you some."

The man in the arena.
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/10 at 3:31pm

480 went up no problem for three.  Well, they went up fast and smooth. They felt like I was going to explode though.  The first rep always sucks then it gets better.  I'm happy with that workout.

Front squats were alright.  315x3.  I don't know why I'm not very good at fronts.  I don't know what the differential should be between front squat and back squat but 475x3 and 315x3 seems like a big spread.   Oh well.  It's getting better.

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/10 at 3:59pm

Haven't updated in a while. Figured tonight was a good time to start it up again.  Peak week for sqat.

Highlights: 500x2 525x1 I'm pretty disapointed in this.  Was supposed to be a double.  The first rep went up nice and easy, then the second one got wierd.  My tracking was way off and got stuck in the hole.  I feel I redeemed myself after by getting 550 for a single at about 185lbs bodyweight.  A NEW LIFETIME PR!  As excited as I am about that, it's still kind of eating at me that I missed my second rep at 525.  Shoulda been easy.  Oh well. 

Luke got 340x2 on hang cleans and wade got 325x2.  Lots of snappiness going on here. 

After this workout, I feel a 600lb back squat is achievable for me.  I'd like to get it by the end of the offseason.  We have two more cycles of this workout, and I have a lot of faith in it, in spite of my early doubts.  I know 600 is a big number, but I think, nay, I KNOW I'll get it.  Just a matter of time.    

Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/10 at 2:21am
Originally posted by Barry Barry wrote:

Haven't updated in a while. Figured tonight was a good time to start it up again.  Peak week for sqat.

Highlights: 500x2 525x1 I'm pretty disapointed in this.  Was supposed to be a double.  The first rep went up nice and easy, then the second one got wierd.  My tracking was way off and got stuck in the hole.  I feel I redeemed myself after by getting 550 for a single at about 185lbs bodyweight.  A NEW LIFETIME PR!  As excited as I am about that, it's still kind of eating at me that I missed my second rep at 525.  Shoulda been easy.  Oh well. 

Luke got 340x2 on hang cleans and wade got 325x2.  Lots of snappiness going on here. 

After this workout, I feel a 600lb back squat is achievable for me.  I'd like to get it by the end of the offseason.  We have two more cycles of this workout, and I have a lot of faith in it, in spite of my early doubts.  I know 600 is a big number, but I think, nay, I KNOW I'll get it.  Just a matter of time.    

That is a lot of weight being thrown around by you LaCrosse boys. Geez, way to make a guy feel insignificant.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/10 at 7:07am
Nice lifting.

For you.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/10 at 7:30am
...and I missed 550 on Sat.  FYI.
Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/10 at 9:44am
Psh, you guys are silly. 

Barry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/10 at 3:47pm

Bench day.

315 x 1.  Failed twice but finally got my timing/tracking/ all that good stuff down and it went up easy peasy.  If I didn't do wierd stuff, I probably could have gone higher.

Wade is ridiculous.  Failed at 435 last week.  Blew up 475 this week. Doesn't makes sense.  I wish I was a freak...

Did cleans again for the first time since whenever the last time I posted it.  245x3.  Nothing fancy.  Still hurts a bit and the timing is off.  I need to get back to my old form.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic