FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Jake Sullivan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/15 at 11:20am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Thanks for the chat last night. No fouls out of the back.

did you take a step forward or did you adjust your entry?

I moved up about 3-4 in. Also tried to switch the feet a little bit sooner.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 10:08am
guess I'll throw in a little update from this past weekend...

7/25&26 - Enumclaw 2016

17.8# Ostone 48'2
22H - 98+
56WFD - 44+
Sheaf - 26
Caber 20' x 125# - 85deg
Wob - 15
28WFD - 83+
16H - 111+
24# Bstone - 35'11
Challenge Sheaf - 24
Skip challenge wob/caber

Overall 7th. Embarrassing.

Ugh. Started out well on Saturday. Ostone felt pretty good, might finally be getting there, now to get faster and put a little more pop on it. Didn't practice without blades at all for this and it showed. This was a shit-show. Hammers destroyed my overall. Both heavy and light wfd felt really good. Had a really big hwd but I drifted a little left and half of my left foot went out the left side, wing trigs so both must stay in. Shrug. Sheaf wasn't bad really, was playing with the new spin but nobody had a fork similar to mine and I kept losing every one way early so I would stand my last throw. At 28 I had height but left it in front on the 3rd attempt. Oh well. Caber wasn't awful, the higher and more upright carry worked great. Almost had the turn on my 2nd. Much harder to control and inadvertently carried it lower on my 3rd attempt so I didn't get going as fast or pull as hard. I figured WOB would be off. Horsepower is at an all time low right now from lack of doing anything heavy. This will promptly be addressed. Kept dipping my head and shoulder pressing the Bstone like a doofus. Cleared 24 on challenge sheaf and called it a day. My lower back was really hurting and I've got Detroit this weekend so no need to push things.

This season is proving difficult for me mentally. To underperform at the extent I am, its disappointing and embarrassing. I know I can throw better. Pleasanton is out, congrats to Mr Kasson for sealing that with a 12:00 on his caber. Gives me another week of training to come out guns blazing at Estes. Changing training around to allow for a little heavy work but not too much. Moving on.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:21am
One day heavy, one day speed/volume. 3 days of throwing. 2 days of rest. Boom.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

One day heavy, one day speed/volume. 3 days of throwing. 2 days of rest. Boom.

day1
5x3 snatch high pull
squat to heavy 5
5x3 speed squat
5 sump squat + 3 broad jump x4-5 rounds
pullups

day2
5x3 clean high pull
deadlift to heavy 5
thruster to heavy 5
5 sg deadlift + 5 weighted jumps x4-5 rounds
ring pushups + ring rows

day3
sprints
broad jump to high jump
one leg jumps

Then 2-3 days throwing with 2 full days off of everything.

Going to give this a shot going into Estes as I'm about 5-6 weeks out. Then it's 3 weeks comp in a row and will be dropping weight after Celtic.

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/15 at 8:20am
Drop day 3. You throw. That's enough plyometric/explosive work for a 270+ guy with dodgy knees.

You want a decent day 3? Do yoga. No, I'm not kidding.
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/15 at 9:12am
I'd drop day 3 and throw and also no more than 90% doubles in squat and deads.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:56am
Appreciate the feedback fellas, serious.

I would much prefer a full 3rd day off in my training, I'm just trying to figure out how to set it up.

Joel, re: 90%, I haven't gone 90% in months. I've been sitting in the 60% range with a focus on speed. That has helped tremendously when it comes to the speed events like wfd and hammer, however, the power events like wob and caber are lacking that big pop I used to have. That's why I'm going to 5s. I can go heavier (80% range) without too much setback.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/15 at 11:48am

Detriot 2015

• 18# ostone 45+ (DFL)
  • 28# wfd 80'4 (4th)
  • 22# hammer 105+ (3rd)
  • Caber 70 deg (DFL)
  • 56# wob 15 on 2nd (DFL)
  • Overall 6th out of 7.

Smh. The disappointing trend continues.

I didn't train one bit between the comp weeks and it showed. Primary reason was to rest my abs and recover my legs. My abs felt good, but my legs were dead. Just nothing there. Fouled a bigger ostone which could've bumped me up a couple places, not sure what it would've done for the overall. Missed 1st attempt at 15 which bumped me some spots on wob as well. Put everything I had into the lwd and it just wasn't flying. Last throw on the hammer felt great, just no speed behind it. Eh, what can you do. Had a good time regardless. Got home and headed up north for a sweet family camping trip. That was pretty awesome.

Fast forward to today. Looking forward to training the next 5 weeks to prep for my last string of comps: Estes, Loon & Celtic. Going to bump up the pounds a bit, add some bands to speed work and try to be a bit more efficient with my injury work-arounds. As a compromise, going to give myself an extra day/week to recover so I'll be training 4x/wk (between lifting and throwing) and 3 full days off. Right shoulder still bothering me pretty bad so I need my ortho to take a look and see what's going on. I'm not convinced it's simply an impingement any more. Thankfully it doesn't affect my throwing on the field, but it directly affects training which is indirectly affecting throwing. Lower back is still giving me some problems as well. Going to see a chiro to take a look, I have a hunch my pelvis is tilted and causing the issues. It's def not structural, I just can't get the spinal erectors to loosen up. Excuses, eh? Staying positive though, I'm confident I can still get close to the top by the end of the season.

With that being said, I'll hold on throwing until this Saturday, so I hit the garage this morning:

WED 8/5 - DAY1 @ 440A

• Hang snatch high pull - triples to 185+doubled mini band x5sets
  • Box squat - 365x5, 385x5, 405x5
  • Speed squat - 225+dbl MMs x3x3sets
  • 135x5 jump squat + 3 broad jumps x4sets (wouldn't call them rounds, way too much rest between)
  • 3 dead hang pullups + 12 hanging knee raises x3sets

Accidentally doubled the monster minis instead of choking them on the speed squats. Went with it though, these were terrible and awesome at the same time. The stability requirements while the bands increase resistance is remarkable. Speed on these were about 2.2f/s which isn't too far off of what I'm going for so I'll keep this weight for now. Box squats were tough but it felt good to get something relatively heavy on my back. It's been a while. The banded snatch pulls were really awesome. Just a single band, doubled around the bar and standing on each side. Really forced me to finish my pull vs letting off. Also, raised the PVC a little so it was just under shoulder height. Great sesh has me pretty wrecked right now.

Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/15 at 3:24pm
Your speed is not a weakness, so why use up all that energy there.  Your weakness now is really health of the shoulder and back.  Work that.  Do some shoulder rehab, yoga might be a nice card to pull there as sean said, same for back, something restorative.  Don't loose your mind in doing any of that either.  Peter posted a great article on working shoulders last week with no pressing really overhead. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 11:18am
Hey Myles, great insight. Thanks! In honesty though, I do enjoy speed work. I feel I can keep intensity high without taxing my body too hard. It def has its place imo.

crazy sore from training this week.. I guess taking 3 weeks off will do that to you.

Drug my ass into the garage at 430a and laid on the floor for 45 mins, finally got started around 515...

FRIDAY 8/7 - DAY2 @ 515A

• Clean high pull triples with 225 against a doubled mini band for 5 sets
  • 4" deficit pull triples to 405 for 3 sets
  • Thrusters up to a triple with 275

Was supposed to some snatch grip speed pulls, rows and abs but ran out of time from taking too long to do everything. Ugh.

Throwing tomorrow then a regularly scheduled training week next week. Glad to get that first week back in the gym over with.

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 10:20am
Threw on saturday, it was ok. Sprinklers kept turning on in the field which made it tough to throw in. Hammers were the highlight with a best a 131. Getting long and loose again, using the hips to accelerate, working on catching the ball sooner. Really need to get hammers back on track and this was step in the right direction

Threw yesterday morning, some stone and hammer. Hammer was meh, didn't have much time as I was finishing up and couldn't hit the positions I was looking for. Stone felt ok. I'm so hoppy through the middle and it's taking forever to get my left down. Just something else to work on. Ugh.

MONDAY 8/10 - DAY1 @ 9PM
    Snatch high pull triples up to 225x5 sets with a doubled mini band
    Squat to 275x5
    19" box squat to 365x5x3sets
    Squat singles 365, 415, 465
    Speed squat triples against choked monster mini bands 225x5sets all >2.46f/s
    4 Dead hang pull-ups + 12 knee raises x2 rounds
    banded ab twists x12 x4sets

Minor tweak in my right adductor throwing stone yesterday, finishing too early which forces my right to come around before it's ready so I skipped the jumps. Dropping the squat jumps indefinitely. Making some other minor tweaks as well. Decided to put something relatively heavy on my back. This would be a post injury PR, despite it's speed. Felt heavy but felt really good. Definitely more in the tank. If I had to guage this was somewhere in the high 80 to low 90% range. Went back to a traditional box squat and realized that my hips have gotten extremely weak. Tried to rock much less, obv there is a rock when you sit down but from there, hips and glutes to pop up. There wasn't any popping with the 365 but it was hard work and a step in the right direction.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/15 at 11:01am
Threw wfd and hammer Wednesday. Wfd feels great. Working a faster left leg after the sprint for a longer push into the field. Mental cue is to get my left down while my chest is facing 9:00. As always, drive to zero. Sup?

Going through a bit of a restructure phase on hammers right now. Working on a more hip dominant push into the field vs just turning my torso. By doing this I'm getting a much much stronger push in front and across me, however, it's a bit more difficult to catch and drive the hammer behind me. Hoping to have this dialed in in just a couple more practices. Numbers weren't bad by any means, just missing that backside acceleration.

Was supposed to lift yesterday but stayed up too late Wednesday and had some stuff to take care of last night. Got after it this morning, well, as best as you can get after it with <5hrs sleep. Shrug.

FRIDAY 8/14 - DAY2 (partial) @ 515a

10 mins stationary bike
3x 1/4mi jog in 2:22, 2:07 and 1:56 respectively
1.5" deficit deficit pulls up to 505x1x2sets, dropped the deficit and went 505x1 off the floor
RDLs 315x5x2
Standing abs against avg band 2x12

Had to cut this short as I got started a bit later than usual. Still need to do my thrusters and rows so I'll do that tonight (my 2 year old asked if we could workout when I got home from work, haha).

Some notes: Sean talked about "the exercises that make you feel strong". I'm quickly (re)discovering what those were. So far: box squat, deads and RDLs top the list. Also on the list are front squats, push presses and bb rows so I'm working on phasing them all back in. Rather than heavy front squats and push presses, I'm really digging the heavy thrusters so I'll stick with those. Need to get after the back work again. The deficit pulls put a lot of strain on my left spinal erector (the one that's been bothering me since the accident). When I switched to pulling off the floor, I was able to be a little more upright and while it was harder (more quad involved), there was almost no pain. That's a win. Guess I'll be pulling off the floor. I suspect I'll likely be adding bands every one in a while as those have always helped my pulls.

Slowly I'm trying to up my volume while allowing for more recovery during the week. Lowering time between sets, adding in the cardio, etc.

Run felt hard but really good this morning. Legs felt awesome afterwards. Going to try to get back after this on a regular basis.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/15 at 10:30am
Threw Saturday. Overall pretty meh. Couldn't catch a weight to save my life. Stone was about average and hammer was blegh. On the plus side, I crushed a 16 wob by 3-4" by changing my pull. No change in the path of the weight, however, as soon as the weight drops into position, instead of trying to pull up, I just threw my shoulders back hard. Boom. I like it.

Threw yesterday, some stone and hammer. Footwork getting smoother and smoother with the stone.

Restructuring hammer as well. Changing my entry a little and trying to get longer sooner. The longer I can be long, the more time I have to apply force. I'm not a power thrower like Dan so I've got to rely on speed and positions. Trying to be more mindful of rotating my hips to push the ball (right knee/hip pushes left for push in front, left knee/hip pushes right for push behind), at the same time I'm trying to get farther ahead of the ball. Hammer is one of those events that I understand so it doesn't take me too long make changes. Been doing a handful of hammer throws with every practice and I suspect relatively soon I'll have it where I want it and just be able to work on speed.

TUES 8/18 - DAY1 @ 5A

Spent a little extra time on mobility and stretching my back this morning, I would have preferred to get started at 430

Snatch high pull from pins just above knees - triples against doubled mini band up to 225x3sets
Hip snatch 135x3x3sets
Squat to 315x5
19" box squat 315x5, 335x5x2sets
Squat 365x2, add knee wraps 415x2
Hanging leg raises with banded ab pushdowns for 2x12

Passed on the speed squats and jumps again. I came forward on the 2nd rep with 415 which lit my back up. Was looking to go 465x2 but didn't want to push it too hard. Regardless, was already pretty fatigued. Hips felt smoked from the beginning and the box squats were no joke. Hip snatches felt really good. I did these way before when I first started throwing and really liked them. Def feel like they somewhat mimic the wob in the sense of throwing your shoulders back hard. Will swap the bands around a bit next week.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/15 at 9:14pm
Your action motivates me, love the vids, love the fact you get up and train at an insane hour and the dedication.  Just great stuff.  Nothing given, all earned. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:26am
Thanks Myles, I appreciate that. I was never an athlete growing up. I didn't play football or wrestle or any of that stuff (I wanted to, trust me). So I figure if I want to be great at something then I've got to earn it. Countless hours later and I have a decent grasp on most of the events. I still have my frustrating moments, though. The videos you miss are the ones I don't post of me kicking and throwing the trig, slamming the stone into the ground, etc. Plenty of that goes on, haha, though less now than in previous years.

onto today:

Threw wfd & hammer this morning (530A), which was a fairly good session.

Been working on few different things for each:

wfd
1) flatter orbit
2) longer push on the entry
3) lower center of gravity
3) faster left leg into the front
4) keeping hip in front of the weight

Went well. Was having issues flattening the orbit because it would case my low point to drift on the entry. Today I actively kept my arm/shoulder back so it would drop where I wanted before I started pushing. This also kept my hip in front, right where I want it. The longer push on the entry adds more speed and sets up a stronger sprint. Keeping my center of gravity lower lets me put more of the throw into the implement vs just hopping around. Faster left leg is letting me catch it sooner with a longer push into the field. Went 49'6 with the 49# wfd and just shy of 89 with the 25#. I like where this is going.

hammer
1) looser
2) longer
3) hips on a swivel
4) push knees forward as well as in, get long by pushing knees forward and extending, not by just standing up
5) stay in front of the ball

More good progress. Focused more on my knees and hips here vs the others. Trying to keep my hips in front of the ball at all times, driving the ball to the left by pushing my right knee in and forward, then driving the ball behind me by pushing my left knee in and forward and quickly snapping my hips back to catch and start driving again. Only had time for about 6 throws so I didn't get to work it too much but this felt really good. Finished with a very low effort 125. I'll have some more time this weekend so hopefully I can get the new positions drilled in to where I can get some speed behind it. It definitely feels more efficient. Looking forward to pushing the envelope on this.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/15 at 12:00pm
This post is excellent.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/15 at 11:18am

THURS 8/20 - DAY2 @ 430PM

• 400m jog x2, both under 2:00
  • Deadlift up to 545x1
  • RDL 315x10x2
  • Thruster up to 305x1
  • curl/pushdown circuit x2
  • Wide cable rows 2x10
  • Ab wheel 2x10

Trained with a couple friends at a local gym. 545 felt easy peasy but didn't want to push things too hard so I stopped there. Going to add some reps in next week. Hams, glutes and low back like whoa on the RDLs. Thrusters felt great as well, 305 is a PR, though considering I've only started doing them heavyier recently, I suspected a lower PR was a given. Maybe I can bump this up a bit over the next few weeks? Finished off with some BBing stuff and some beers for a good day.

Didn't throw any this weekend, just hung out with the family. Played legos, went on a date with the missus and had an overall great time.

MON 8/24 - THROW @ 530A

Stone stand no reverse, stand w/reverse, south african drill and full spins x5ish each. Working on a stronger block with my left arm, staying lower throughout and landing more wrapped.

Hammer x8 working on the rear side push. Finally got it figured out again. Trying to be loose left me with noodle arms which wasn't translating to the implement. Locked right arm on the push in front and locked left on the push behind got it moving faster. Now I need to drill back in the timing of each wind, starting with the finish and working back. Feeling positive here.

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/15 at 10:18am

TUES 8/25 - DAY1 @ 5A

• Snatch high pull off pins, warmup to 225x3, 225x3, 245x3, 265x3, 275x3
  • Pullups bwx5x5sets
  • Hip snatch 135x3, 155x3x2sets
  • Squat up to 315x5
  • 19" Box squat 315x5, 365x5, 385x5
  • 225x5 speed squat against choked monster minis + 3 broad jump into high jumps x3 sets

Ugh, humidity like crazy today, went through 2 shirts. Pulls against bands working well as I took the bands off today and worked up to a 275# snatch high pull that felt pretty strong. Really digging the hip snatches as well, can really feel the hip thrust and upper back pulling on the weight. I'm also liking the squatting up to my work weight. Starting out with 135x10 then 185x5, 225x5, 275x5 into 315x5. Gives me a little extra volume on the legs and I'm def feeling it. As I start going heavier, going to continue to work this warmup clear up to my working weight. The box squats felt great this week. Sitting back and letting my hips fire off the box. Starting to feel some improvement here. I know you guys aren't a fan of the jumps but man the speed squat/jump to finish things off were pretty great. No pause in the squats and no lockout, just boom boom boom boom boom. The jumps really iced the cake too, broad jump that went immediately into a high jump. Great stuff.

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/15 at 1:21pm
Threw yesterday. Slow, sluggish, etc. Finished off with 1 or 2 decent feeling throws on the 49# wfd. That's what I get for rolling 3 nights in a row under 6 hours sleep. Hammer was a shit show in the morning, no ability to increase speed, no ability to fire, etc. Ugh.

Fast forward a couple hours. I threw hammer again at lunch due to the terrible morning session. Hammer is a key set of events for me. It's where I make up lost points in stones. My hammer has to be top notch going into these final 3 comps of the year. Watched a couple of my previous videos, namely the hammer vid before Sacramento last year (went 145+ in sacramento) as well as the 155ft 14# hammer from earlier this year. Took some time to think about things then went out on the field and tried to replicate. First wind is a huge reach and catch, combined with a right side push, not allowing the angle to get too steep. My best throws are flat(ish) and into the field. More in, less up is a big throw for me. Second wind should be longer but with a very fast snap to the right side. This wind I just focus on getting my shoulders out of the way. Less really about adding speed to the ball (adding speed is an indirect accomplishment) and more about moving myself out of the path so I can have an extremely long #3. #3 should be all push, all the way around. Despite tech feeling much better, after 2-3 failed throws (#2 and #3 being the exact same speed, distance around 128-129), I went back yet another step and focused on segmenting the throw. Working on the finish, then acceleration behind me on #3 into the finish, then acceleration in front of me on #3, into behind me and into the finish, etc. I didn't have tons of time so I just focused on a relaxed #1, #2 and #3, however, on #3 I was trying to catch the hammer at 3:00 and accelerate all the way around into the finish, essentially being 450 degrees (360 + 90) of acceleration. This yielded about 125ft which is certainly progress. Only problem here is the delivery itself. I kept losing the hammer early way off to my left side. I suspect this is from blocking too soon vs turning into the field. Slowed my last throw down even more and worked on the 3:00 catch coupled with a very deliberate turn into the field on the finish. Went 121ish but accomplished what I set out to. That's the step forward I'm looking for. From here, it shouldn't be too tough to get everything else back on track as it's mainly just a speed and timing issue from here on out.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/15 at 1:24pm
last hammer from yesterday

Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/15 at 8:42pm
Coupling power snatches and tuck jumps I find to be a nice combination- I have absolutely no worthwhile input into hammer technique
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 10:25am
tuck jumps? what are those?

ugh, trained this morning. I would have preferred to train last night so I would have a day rest before throwing tomorrow, but the cards weren't stacked in my favor. In other news, I bought a Concept2 Rower. My wife has been using it the last few days and she seems to be a fan. I've been having her do a 500m warmup followed by a few mins rest before a 12:00 HR row and finishing with a 500m sprint. I hopped on it last night for a minute or so. No warmup, just started slow and worked into a sprint to finish the last 150ish meters. Finished the 500m in 1:40 and considering about 2/3rds of it was at a relaxed 1:50 pace I'll take it. Took a good couple minutes to catch breath and man, I was worked from the last bit. Fun times, looking forward to working this in on a semi-weekly basis.

FRI 8/28 - DAY2 @ 5A

• 400m jog x4 rounds in 2:37, 2:21, 2:17 and 2:13 respectively - the recovery was probably worse than the actual jog itself
  • Deadlift up to 405 for 5 singles- easy and fast
  • Ring rows (feet elevated) 3x8
  • RDL 225x10x2
  • Thrusters up to 225x5

That's about all I had time for. Lower back was really yelling at me from all the hammer work on Wednesday so I didn't push it too hard. It's been pretty tight the last few days. I need to get better at stretching and recovery work.

Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 5:30pm
Jump up high and "tuck" you're knees to your chest
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 10:21am

Threw Saturday. It went well.

Back has been absolutely destroyed the past few days so I took Sunday and Monday off of everything. I wanted to train Tuesday morning but was just too tired so I opted to get up earlier this morning and squat before throwing. Well, rain destroyed that plan, but since I got up at 2:50 anyways, I just went on with it.

WED 9/2 - DAY1 @ 4A

• Snatch high pull from pins against doubled mini band - 225x3x4sets
  • Pullups 9x3
  • Hip snatch 155x3x3
  • Squat up to 455x3
  • Hanging leg raises w/banded ab push downs 2x12

The triple at 455 is the most I've done this year. I singled 465 a couple weeks back so I'm happy with the progress since I'm only squatting heavy every couple weeks. This workout took about 65-70 mins (not including warmup/stretch). I could've pushed it a bit faster but I'm not unhappy with this pace.

Poll for seasoned trainees (Craig, Myles, Sean, Roslik, etc) :

What is better?

a) less work, more frequency

b) more work, less frequency

I like spending less time in the gym. I hate sacrificing training to do so. There are 1-2 lifts (each) from day1 and day2 that if removed would drop the workout time from 90-100mins down to 60-70 minutes, ideally 60 mins woudl be great. This would create a "need" for a 45-60min day 3 if I wanted to still get all my work in. Having a 3rd day that takes 2 hours to get through isn't going to happen, however, if it's only 45-60 mins, I could handle that. Additionally, that 3rd day would be less extensive than the others as it would be more of a dynamic effort type day. Thoughts on this?

Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 11:39am
I am not any of those people, but:

- Neither or both can be better. Prioritize movements that work best for you (in all ways including what works and what doesn't hurt you) and set it up so training clocks in at 60:00 or less

- You do not need a day 3 in the gym. There is no way you can't succeed on 2 days a week in the gym. No way. If two days/week makes the rest of your life more manageable or just better in general then it's all win.

Lift twice a week, throw twice a week, be awesome. 

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 11:53am
Thanks Jeff. It was a general question so the more answers the merrier.

For the record, I don't want to just throw and be merry. I'm extremely competitive so while I give off a "meh" persona a lot, I want to throw MF far, set world records, win WCs. I don't even know if that's possible (for me), but I'm willing to put in the work (to an extent, obv) that is needed.

I like what you said about programming enough to fit a 60:00 slot. Good take-away.

Throwing twice a week (and improving) is not feasible (again, for me). There are still too many glitches due to not having thousands of throws in a t&f background. My improvements come from 3 to 4 and sometimes 5x/week throwing. I prefer to throw 3x/week but I'll throw the extra day if I've got something specific to work on.

I'm personally not a big fan of training blocks. Maybe that's why I have a hard time grasping the minimalist theories. When I stop for 4 weeks to train speed work, I can feel my top end strength dropping. When I stop for 4 weeks to train strength, I can feel my speed dropping. All the while, months go by and no actual progress is made. So, the way I set things up is to work strength and speed in the same week, albeit different times. If anybody has a solution for this, please feel free to speak up.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 12:24pm

Throughout my throwing career I did:

b) more work, less frequency

The reason being is that once I was moving weights and doing the training that I thought I needed, it was going to be a longer session, no matter what.  Hell, sometimes the main movement alone took 60 minutes with warm up. 

That being said, your definition of work and my definition of work, is likely very different.  I never felt the need, nor do I still, to do a bunch of different exercises. 

I think you’re fine to incorporate both heavy and speedy movements throughout, notwithstanding the validity of all the stuff you include.

So if I had to vote from your options, the easy 3rd day is the move. 

Honestly, if I could go back and do it all again I would squat every other week, deadlift every other week, and press every other week.  I did this a lot of the time anyway, but I made the mistake of squatting and pulling in the same week on more than one occasion...like 15 times probably.  It took awhile for that sink in.   

Now that things changed, I'm going with less work, more frequency.  I squatted last night...total time including warm up:  20 minutes.  Boom. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/15 at 11:25am
Thanks for chiming in Craig.

Threw some 16 hammer yesterday. Had a handful of 130+ throws. Still not satisfied. Very rigid vs loose and still missing the push from 2:00 to 10:00 that I had before. Frustrating. On the plus side, 130-135 is still a decent throw so I shouldn't be losing too many points. I've got 1-2 more hammer practices to try to snap back into the groove before Estes Park next weekend.

THURS 9/3 - DAY2 @ 5P

• Deadlift singles to 585
  • Thruster singles to 295x2sets
  • Ring rows 2x10
  • Ring tricep extensions 2x10
  • Ab wheel 2x10

Probably should have done some Meadows rows but I didn't think about it until I was finished. This took about 70 minutes and I stopped to play with the kids several times in between sets. Def like this better. Lower back is really sore today. Shrug.

Had an MRI on my right shoulder this morning as I don't feel it's an impingement like we previously suspected. I'll get into the ortho asap to figure it out.

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/15 at 12:32pm
My $0.02, I guess:

Best overall season I had was 2 days a week in the gym. Like Craig said, more work. I was doing the two day version of 531 and it just worked for me. Bench/Squats and OHP/DL. A little BBing work at the end to hold it together. Then 2 days a week of throwing, mostly groove work for like 3-5 throws with 2-5 balls out after that on probably 3 events/day.

I see some of the guys throwing the weight or hammer like 30 times in a session and all I do is feel how that would tear me in half.

Granted, I'm a bit delicate but I think once you've got a pretty good idea how things are supposed to be thrown, you should be making every throw count in some way and not just using volume to do the work.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/15 at 12:40pm
I agree with volume work re: throwing. I think it's necessary in the beginning, however, now I have specifics I want to work on, I can typically accomplish what I need to within 5-10 throws. My throw sessions are definitely shorter than they used to be.

I'm just sick of being in the gym for a long time. 2-3 big movements mean I'm going to be stuck there for 2+ hours. I don't like limiting rest between sets either because then I'm just exhausted the entire time. I don't want to not enjoy training. Also, after 2-3 big movements, I'm exhausted for my assistance stuff and end up just skipping it all together. Ugh.

At the end of the day, more time training is less time I can be doing something else: playing with my kids, reading (information obv, pleasure reading is for pansies), misc projects, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758>
  Share Topic