FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Robin Knebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 36>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 1:53am
Solid
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

One man's opinion, of course.

Two.

But I knew it wouldn't do any good to express it. 
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/14 at 10:40am
This is the Interwebs and my opinion is worth exactly the medium it's printed on but I felt the need to express it none the less. I like Robin and as I am the epitome of "Those who can't do...", I figured he was worth the text :)
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:48am
I do appreciate people's feedback... sometimes I agree and rethink what I'm doing and other times I prefer to do my own thing.

So, I didn't start the volume training like I said I was going to, but only because I had some life things get in the way. I did start tonight. Started with Bench and seated rows. I stuck to the German Volume Training program as closely as possible. 4 seconds down, 2 up, 90 seconds between alternating sets of bench and rows. Started light but was definitely feeling it by the time I got to my 6th or 7th set.

Bench 10x10x205 alternating w/ seated rows 10x10.

Did two accessory lifts.

Flies 3x8

Lat Pull downs 3x8 - I've never really been able to activate my lats when doing pulldowns. I think something about the volume training fatigued some of my other muscles enough where I was forced to pull with my lats. They were cramping up like crazy during my last set. Plan is to squat tomorrow.

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 3:46pm
See, I think that's probably not bad for upper body. I just usually figure lower body has to be treated a little differently because of the abuse the knees and lower back have to take. And a little fatigue in the back goes a long way, ifyaknowhatImean.
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 4:11pm
Personally, I think high volume work has it's time and place. I'm doing the same right now; off-season. I don't do it all the time, but for the next three weeks, I'll be working higher volume in all my lifts. Again, opinion, but I've seen benefits from it. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 5:27pm
I'm going to switch to high volume too... I'll be doing 3 triples instead of 1.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 6:49pm
I'm gonna commit to doing it for at least the next 4 weeks, hopefully 6 but I think it's gonna suck so we'll see. I do plan on doing volume work for closer to 2-3 months but only going to do sets of 10 for the first 4-6 weeks. Should be squatting tonight. Hope not to vomit!
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/14 at 11:19pm
GVT

Front squats 10x10x225 w/ seated hamstring curls 10x10. The volume is officially turnt-up...

Had to choke a little vomit down towards the end...
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 6:52am
This just hurts to read.

What's your nutrition looking like during this period of extra-swole?
The man in the arena.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:51am
Nutrition???

I always have just eaten a shit ton of everything so as far as getting enough, I'm pretty sure I'm good.   I make sure to take in about 25g protein directly before my workout, about 25g during, and 50g after. I'm never gonna be the guy that worries to much about what he's eating throughout the day, unless I'm focusing on cutting weight.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 10:57am
Originally posted by rknebel rknebel wrote:

Nutrition???

I always have just eaten a shit ton of everything so as far as getting enough, I'm pretty sure I'm good.   I make sure to take in about 25g protein directly before my workout, about 25g during, and 50g after. I'm never gonna be the guy that worries to much about what he's eating throughout the day, unless I'm focusing on cutting weight.

That's too bad, given your already notable physical gifts. 

I do find it interesting that you pay some attention to intra-workout nutrition (a miniscule piece of the puzzle imo), and little attention to the rest of the time (a much larger piece of the puzzle imo). 
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 11:23am
Craig, I honestly just lack discipline when it comes to my diet. I'm pretty good about getting my workouts in, getting out and practicing when I need to, but I can't seem to do the right things in the kitchen. I probably should find a nutritionist and work with them to see if I can get it straightened out.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 11:28am
Not paying attention to nutrition is like putting 87 test in a race car. It'll do the job, but you're not maximizing performance.

It really doesn't take much to plug your macros into a cell phone app. Takes me probably 3 minutes/day to figure out what I'm eating.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 11:39am

I probably should find a nutritionist and work with them to see if I can get it straightened out.

just gonna leave this hear in case you really are interested, otherwise ignore.

http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2014/04/trevor-kashey-beardo-nerd-strongman-and.html?zx=15d819e8173979c9

This is the guy that does my nutrition. I was absolutely adamant I don't lose performance while working with him so it's been a dreadfully slow process. If I were willing to sacrifice more I'm sure I'd be much closer to my goals by now, but I'm in no hurry. I'm down several inches in my waistline while my legs are the same size yet leaner and my bodyweight isn't far off of where I started. My conditioning is much improved and while I haven't had lipids checked in a while, I suspect it's much improved. Trevor is a PhD(c) in metabolic biochemistry and works with several athletes from bodybuilding to strongman to endurance athletes. I'm not sure if he has his RD yet but I know that's on his to-do list. He's not cheap (approx. $40/wk) but I've seen much more expensive.

Anyways, like I said. No pressure. I'm not getting sponsored or paid to pass his info on, just sharing.

Regardless of what you do, you're an athlete and you train like one so there's no reason not to eat like one as well.

I know Mattso uses and is very pleased with Jesse Burdick as well so maybe give him a ring if you want options.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 5:37pm
I'll check it out Jake, but at $40/ week ??????? I got a buddy that lives in Minnesota now that does some nutrition stuff that I already hit up about helping me out. I got another local guy that I have heard OK things about. Might just take me sucking it up, dong some research, and stop being weak minded.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/14 at 6:56pm
Yeah man...don't pay for that stuff. Read a book, do your research, check and recheck the science. That volume can really beat you up without the right fuel...ask me how I know.

Do it big.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 7:42am
$160 a month is actually quite cheap to have someone do your nutrition imo.  
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/14 at 11:28pm
GVT:

Strict Press 10x10 w/ Lat Pull Down 10x10.

Accessories: Tricep press downs
             Curls
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/14 at 1:50pm
Last night:

Bench 10x10, Rows 10x10

Flies 4x8

Lat Pull Down 4x8

I keep thinking that I'm going to get used to this type of lifting and I won't be as sore when I wake up as I was the last time.....NOPE! I have been paying a little more attention to what I have been eating. I'm trying to get a ton of protein in me throughout the day. Lots of fruits and vegetables and most of my carbs in the AM. I'm not specifically tracking carbs, protein, fats, etc... but I am getting 100g of protein a day just from shakes and I generally eat quite a bit of protein throughout the day. I have gained a couple pounds in the last 2 weeks and I think I am noticing my muscles filling up a little bit.... I think.

I was 338 thee weeks ago and 343 last night.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:41am
Front Squat 10x10x225 w/ Hamstring Curl 10x10x?

4 second eccentric, 90 second rest between sets...

BARF!!!

Got a local fight promoter trying to get me on their card. Never participated in a sanctioned fight before but I've always LOVED fighting, not necessarily out of anger but just the 1:1 competition of it all... Could be a good time... Should I do it???
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:44am
Is it you and two nailbats vs. feral hogs?
The man in the arena.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:02am
If it were there wouldn't even be a question....I'd be in for sure.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:05am

WAR KNEBEL!!!

The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 3:32am
I wish I could find a gif of the "Fook me! Lookit the size of him!", but this will do:

Aim high. Stay hungry.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:06pm

Got a local fight promoter trying to get me on their card. Never participated in a sanctioned fight before but I've always LOVED fighting, not necessarily out of anger but just the 1:1 competition of it all... Could be a good time... Should I do it???

this may be a dumb question, but have you actually fought before? Many people like the idea of fighting, the 1:1 competition of it all, but not everyone is necessarily ready to fight. I boxed for 4 years and at no point did I think I was really ready to step in the ring.

If you're properly trained then I say go for it. If you just "know how to handle yourself" my advice would be to weigh the risk vs reward. You're a big dude. You'll probably be fighting a big dude. Big dudes hit hard. Usually, really hard.

I say this more for safety than anything as it would be silly to get hurt/set back over something like this for just getting in on a whim over an idea of what sounds like would be fun.

I guess I'm the Debbie Downer of the group.

If you have fought before then carry on. Keep us posted.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:42pm
I used to fight all the time when I was a kid. Mostly between two people that were doing it for fun. Fought some in college, same idea. Mostly everything was always bare knuckle, sometimes we would wear gloves. I've always loved fighting! I do some boxing every once in a while now, but there is no training involved. I've got a little wresting in my background and worked with a local guy a few years ago that has been doing judo, jiu jitsu, almost his entire life. Has his own gym and travels to Russia every year with his team to complete.

So, I am in no way trained but I wouldn't be walking in blind either.

I was kind of thinking the same way you were Jake and then I thought that the reason I do Highland Games is mostly just to compete and have fun so why can't I do this just to compete and have fun.

Right now it's just something I'm playing with the idea of. We'll see.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 12:54pm
I've been in at least a dozen fights growing up and even some in my adult years. In my experience in just sparring in a ring in full gear (gloves, headgear, etc), the worlds are vastly different.

I suppose just make sure you know who you're fighting against. I just don't want to see anything bad happen to you. I had a friend that followed the same logic as you (thought he was about 175lbs) and went up against a guy the same weight who it was also his first fight. The difference was this guy he went up against had been in training for the last 3 years and it was the most unmatched fight I've ever seen and ended very poorly for my friend.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just trying help look past the glamour of a sanctioned fight.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:01pm
If you like it, and it's fun to you, why wouldn't you?  Maybe you can make some money there too...
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:05pm
I need some clarity. Is this an MMA card (amateur I would hope) or a local Toughman competition?

If we're talking Toughman then hell yes, go for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 36>
  Share Topic