Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Robin Knebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 36>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:34pm
It's a local MMA amateur fight. Although most of the SHW guys in Oregon are just big fat guys that think there tough....kinda like me!

Craig, that's kinda where my head is now. I just think it would be a fantastic time, plus I don't care about getting punched in the face. Call me crazy but I enjoy that side of it also.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:59pm
That side of it fades with age, trust me, so you may as well do it while you still enjoy that side, lol.

Make sure someone takes video so we can watch it!
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 1:59pm
Dude, your athleticism will be, more than likely, above anything you'd face.  I'd love to watch!  

I would never do it, but simply because I've never been in a fight. Not one. Not even as a kid; kind of feel like I missed out. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:05pm
It's not too late Dan, just go have some beers at a bar any weekend night.  At your size, it'll happen....it always does...

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:09pm
You know, considering my constant verbal diarrhea, its a wonder I don't get punched in the face every time I walk PAST a bar...
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:11pm
Haha!  I think I'll pass, Craig!  With a face like mine, any busting up will only make it worse; the world doesn't want that.  
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

It's not too late Dan, just go have some beers at a bar any weekend night.  At your size, it'll happen....it always does...

This is the truth. I don't go out much but at least 50% of the time there's always someone that wants to prove they're tough by picking a fight with the biggest guy in the room. Doesn't help that when I drink I lose any ability I had to think rationally.

If I end up going through with it I'll definitely film it.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

Dude, your athleticism will be, more than likely, above anything you'd face.  I'd love to watch!  

I would never do it, but simply because I've never been in a fight. Not one. Not even as a kid; kind of feel like I missed out. 

Trust me Dan...you didn't miss anything.
The man in the arena.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

Trust me Dan...you didn't miss anything.

I don't know... It's definitely not for everybody but I think Dan would have been a brawler!
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by rknebel rknebel wrote:

I don't know... It's definitely not for everybody but I think Dan would have been a brawler!

Hmmm. I see Dan as a "turn the other cheek" kinda guy. Lol
swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/14 at 11:03pm
Robin I think the key is what someone else already mentioned, find out who your opponent would be first.  If it is against someone with a similar fighting background as yours then that could be alright but if it is someone with some training things could get bad.  In an mma fight the striking is the least of your worries, if you get battered and bruised so be it, bruises heal, what I would more worry about are your joints.   One of the more common injuries in mma are tendon tears, look at how many UFC guys are out right now because of knee problems, I think in the last year near all the champions have rescheduled fights or are on hiatus due to knee injuries or something (Hendricks was a bicep tear).  I don't mean to be a debbie downer but I would hate for you to have to take time off of your training or throwing because of an injury from a fight that was supposed to be for fun.   
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/14 at 5:26am
To be fair, the majority of those injuries you are talking about, Ray, occur in training as opposed to the actual fight.  

Also all the people with the "oh nooooez, what about the throws?!??!", you do realize that Robin only threw in 3 games last year, right?
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/14 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

To be fair, the majority of those injuries you are talking about, Ray, occur in training as opposed to the actual fight.  

Also all the people with the "oh nooooez, what about the throws?!??!", you do realize that Robin only threw in 3 games last year, right?

I've got quite a few more games lined up this year...I had more lined up last year but had back surgery again.

Either way I'm not Dan or Matt and although I can make a little money here or there it's still mostly for fun and a great physical outlet for me. If I choose to go through with it...not sure if they are going to be able to find someone for me or not... I'm not going to be too concerned about injury. I put my body through more when I'm in the gym or on the field practicing my throws.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/14 at 11:58am
This volume work sucks. I was hoping to adapt and be a little less sore as the weeks went on but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Last night:

Strict Press 10x10x155 w/ Lat Pull Down 10x10. Normally 10 reps of 155 would be fine but the 3-4 second eccentric piece is kicking my ass.

Tricep press downs and curls as well.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/14 at 12:41am
Lift tonight:

Deadlift 10x10x405.

This definitely made me wonder if the benefits from volume training is worth the way this made me feel. WAY WORSE THAN SQUATS! But, I made a commitment to stick to it for at least 6 weeks so that's what I'm gonna do.

This is the first time I've deadlifted since I started the volume work because it is supposed to come on leg day. I don't want to skip either deadlift or squat so I added it this week to another day.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/14 at 12:44am
Let me know how you feel tomorrow when dem DOMS set in...!!!
The man in the arena.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/14 at 12:47am
Every workout in this volume ish is chock-full o' DOMS!

My body wishes I never started but I'm hating & loving every second of it!
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/14 at 9:56pm

Let me know how you feel tomorrow when dem DOMS set in...!!!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/14 at 11:57pm
tumblr animated GIF
The man in the arena.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/14 at 2:59am
Kind of a stressful weekend. My youngest turned 2 on a Saturday and we had her party today. Caught myself reminiscing about my oldest who is now 6 being the same age and how lucky I am to have great kids. Then I started feeling old...so I went to the gym.

Since my last post I've done a chest day.

Bench 10x10 w/ seated rows 10x10.

Today I did don't squat 10x10 and hamstring curls 10x10.

Starting to notice a little size change in my delts and quads. My rear delts have put on some size and my entire shoulder front to back is looking quite a bit thicker because of it. My quads are a little beefier also.   Hard to tell until I put my pants on and then they are a little snug. The only real notable change visually is in the vastus medialis. ...I think that is the right term for the portion of your quad on the inside and close to your knee.

The volume work has been a nice change and I'm starting to see it pay off a little, although I don't like doing it. I usually really look forward to going to the gym. Now I dread it because of this volume Ish.   Can't wait to start lilting heavy again. Got 2 more weeks of 10x10 volume and then I'm going to work into some 10x5 volume work for 4-6 weeks. At the end of that I'll get back mostly into my 5x5 max strength stuff. That's the plan for now.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/14 at 12:57am
Lift tonight:

Strict Press 10x10

Lat Pull Down 10x10

and I did...drum roll.................................................

CARDIO!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/14 at 1:10am
"Hard to tell until I put my pants on and then they are a little snug"

I read your log and mine are too.  Strange.
The man in the arena.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/14 at 1:26am

"Hard to tell until I put my pants on and then they are a little snug"

I read your log and mine are too.  Strange.

Not sure how comfortable I am with your pants getting tighter while reading my log...but to each his own I guess.   
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/14 at 1:47am
So when's the fight?
The man in the arena.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/14 at 3:06pm
So far no takers. There are a good 10 decent Super Heavy Weights in Oregon and im sure a bunch that aren't any good but so far nobody wants to do it.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/14 at 2:59pm
Gym last night:

Got tired of 10x10 so I stopped at the end of week 5 instead of 6. It sucked but I'll probably do it again next year.

Started 10x5 yesterday.

Bench 10x5, Rows 10x5.

Haven't touched anything really moderately heave for a while so it took me a few sets to get comfortable. It was crazy how fast 5 reps was over when you get used to doing 10 reps every set.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/14 at 4:38pm
Lift last night:

Front Squats: 10x5x315. - First 5 or 6 sets were pretty easy, 7 and 8 got hard, 9 and 10 felt almost impossible last couple reps but I did it and my quads are blown up. Shoulders and triceps tomorrow.

Hamstring curls: 10x5xstack.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/14 at 10:52am
I've done a shoulder day and chest day since my last post. All 10x5.

Last night:

Dead lift 10x5x515 - Started pretty easily but quickly got tuff...

Hamstring Curls - 5x8
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/14 at 3:05am
Lift tonight:

Strict press 10x5

Triceps press downs 5x8

Lat pull down 5x8

Feeling pretty good. Having some minor strength gains every time I go to the gym. I feel like I was in a plateau before I did the 10x10 and now it seems that I may be out of it.

Will do 10x4 next week, 10x3 the following week, and then jump back to 10x5 the next week but with heavier weight than my first 10x5 week.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/14 at 9:15pm
Lift tonight:

Back Squat: 10x5x455. This sucked. Almost barfed!

Hamstring Curls: 5x10xstack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 36>
  Share Topic