Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Robin Knebel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/15 at 3:16pm
I don't even want to know how THAT happened.

Nice work, big man. Vic's certainly become a premier games over the last decade.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/15 at 6:06pm
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/15 at 7:11pm
It wasn't anything weird... just a typical Saturday night.

The only wrinkle was that the parapalegic midget hooker forgot the booze. Then I was like "so now what are we supposed to feed the baby?". The baby overheard and started crying which startled Jeff so he took his balls out of the blender...one thing led to another...Pink Eye!!!
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/15 at 7:14pm
Like he said, typical Saturday in Texas.
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/15 at 10:22pm
WAY TO REPRESENT !!!! It was fun hangin out with ya again!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/15 at 11:56pm
Thanks Jay. Great times...that we will recreate here in a couple weeks!
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/15 at 5:21pm
Got a couple lifts in earlier this week. Got my standards set up and got some wob in last night.   The 16' mark that's been on there for years seemed a little high so we measured and its about 3 inches high. So 16'3" was pretty automatic.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/15 at 1:51am
Lift tonight:

Close Grip Bench/Deadlift:  Didn't want to spend a lot of time in the gym so I basically super-set everythhing.  CG Bench 5x5x275/Deadlift 5x5x405(fast).

Strict Press/Lat pull down/Face Pulls:  4x10 w/ all 3.

Was out of the gym in less than an hour.

I really like only lifting once or twice a week while throwing.  I'm not really getting any stronger necessarily but I'm definitely not losing anything...and my throws continue to get better w/ the continued practice.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/15 at 6:56am
Originally posted by rknebel rknebel wrote:

I really like only lifting once or twice a week while throwing.  I'm not really getting any stronger necessarily but I'm definitely not losing anything...and my throws continue to get better w/ the continued practice.

Agreed!!
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/15 at 11:35pm
Good practice tonight:

HWFD:  Only 2 throws under 41.  One was my first throw which was 38ish.  Had another 6 or so that were 42 and up.

LWFD:  Didn't take many and was just trying to work on some things.  80 has been automatic for the most part so far this year.  Had one around 84' today.

Heavy Hammer:  High of 104'.  

Light Hammer:  Had a great practice the week before Victoria but haven't been able to recreate it.  Long was 124-125' today.  Nothing under 120.

WOB:  Couldn't get 16'6".

Didn't take a ton of throws in each event.  Didn't want to get too beat up.  I think that outside of the HWFD I only took 4 max in all the other events.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/15 at 6:21am
Solid practice numbers. Good luck at the border battle man! Gotta rep 'Murica by dropping some bombs on our enemies!

...too soon?
Jeff Kaste

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/15 at 10:22am
7 weeks till Portland.. dun dun dunnnnn
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/15 at 3:02pm
Thanks Jeff...Bellingham is one of the best times I have all year. The USA vs. Canada is a cool concept, the party on the field afterward is great, and then Karaoke at the Mexican joint is sweet.

Practice numbers were good in some ways, not great in others. My weights aren't flyers, but my hammers are. So the fact that I'm throwing my weights that far are encouraging, but I should be throwing my hammers better. Heavy hammer was good actually...

I'm pumped for Portland Jake but I've still got three games between now and then which makes it seem like an eternity. I heard Kahanic was coming out, which I think will be a good addition. Nasty Nate will be there too which is awesome. Should be another great comp. as always.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/02/15 at 1:28am
Lift tonight:

First, I spent the entire weekend putting in new flooring in my house. Had to tear the old floor up, put in new subfloor and then the new floor. So, although I didn't lift in was f'kn wrecked. Got a bunch of battle wounds including running a box cutter down my knee cap. Tried to use bandages and compression to get the bleeding to stop which was a no go, so ended up using some spray tack and then super glue over the top of that...shit stung but did the trick.

Now the lift:

Close grip bench: 135x?, 185x10, 225×10, 245x8, 275x5x2.
...superset w/ facepulls 4x10

Strict press: 185x8x5
...superset w/ lat pull downs.

Gonna get a thrown in on Wednesday and then I have my first games of a busy month in Bellingham this weekend, then Utah next weekend, 1 weekend off, and then Alaska. Should be a lot of fun
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/15 at 8:37pm
Bellingham Highland Games "Border Battle USA vs Canada"

Bellingham was a blast as always. Bret and Jay do a great job overall running the athletics and they do all the "little things" many AD'S don't necessarily do to make sure the athletes have ideal conditions. I also really enjoy the idea of the border battle and the team concept as well as there are a few specific throwers I always enjoy throwing with. Games were up and down for me ad far as performance. I started pretty strong and then faded off after tearing a pretty large hole in my hand....such is life...I'm not too worried about it.

Braemar: 41+ This is a great stone but has a handle that makes it really difficult to get a tuck, but once you do it fly's.

Open Stone: 49+ PR. Not sure of the inches. This was a pretty good stone, a little heavy 17# but easy to tuck and get a good push, and a couple of us hit PR'S with it.

HWFD: 44' PR. I came into the comp knowing I have some big HWFD throws in me and was hoping I could pull them out. Although I hit a PR with a pretty solid distance, I did not throw very well. I was off balance, was not getting a drive to the trig. Most of my throws I was literally at least 2' away from the toeboard. Took 3 extras to try and improve and break the field record but no dice. On my last throw I tore a BIG NASTY HOLE in my hand which really hurt the rest of my day.

LWFD: 73'. My hand was killing me and I just couldn't muster a decent throw. I was bleeding everywhere and had to wrap my hand with pre-wrap and tape. I'm typically good for 80+ on any given day but there was just no way.

Light hammer: 118+. Still struggling with my hand but hammer wasn't as hard on it. It didn't keep from doing anything. Only hard part here was trying to get my tacky right. The tack sticks really well to the tape on my hand and my first throw almost went into a crowd of people. Got it together and threw a decent throw on my 3rd.

Sheaf: 26'. Struggled here again with my hand. The big handle put pressure right down on it so I had a hard to driving through with my right hand. Hit 29' hard on the way up but it didn't want to let it over.

WOB: 15'. Another really difficult event on my hand. Ended up throwing with only 3 fingers which made the timing pretty tough. Still should have had 16' but at this point my hand stuff was too much in my head.

Caber is Caber...I suck at it. Scored a 60 degrees on a stick that nobody even got close to turning. Think it was good for 5th or 6th, not sure.

Overall 4th. Chuck, Pilling, and Stewart were top 3. Utah next week. Need to get some big throws to make sure I qualify for the claw.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/15 at 12:49am
Quick maintenance lift tonight.   Nothing special. Did some pushing, did some pulling, and did some squating. Used moderate weight, did moderate reps, at a decent speed.

Got Utah this weeknd. Should have ideal implements and ideal conditions to put up some big numbers. I'm slowly watching my name creep down the list for the claw. Need to make a jump this weekend or I'm gonna be left out.

Also, just added another big game later in the year that I'm pretty pumped about. Turning out to be a pretty good year.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 10:01am
Originally posted by rknebel rknebel wrote:

I'm slowly watching my name creep down the list for the claw. Need to make a jump this weekend or I'm gonna be left out.

unlikely for you, though I'm actually getting a bit worried. I've got some damn good numbers on the board (52 stone, 48 hwd, 89 lwd, 142 lhammer) and I'm at #10 right now. F.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 10:19am
You'll be fine.   Might be number 10 on the rankings but not all those guys are going to apply that are ahead of you. Your probably top 4 of guys that have applied if not better. The only person left in that top 10 list that I know is going to apply is Spencer. Kinda doubt that any more will. If I have a good weekend and Wally doesn't get a bunch more applications I think I can still squeeze in too. Gonna have to make a decent jump though....Caber points are killing me.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 10:26am
Caber points. I have yet to figure out how those work.

That's probably why I'm always shitty on those ranking boards. 692points, lmao.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 10:38am
Turn a real stick, you goons ;)
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 11:09am
^I'll settle for turning any stick really.. shrug
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 11:24am
"Settle"...this is why you do not own the caber ;)
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:02am
^I do not own the caber because I don't have a 400+ clean like 3/4 of the other guys on the field. LMAO.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:30am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

^I do not own the caber because I don't have a 400+ clean like 3/4 of the other guys on the field. LMAO.

I never even had a 300lb clean.  That excuse is invalid. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:53am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I never even had a 300lb clean.  That excuse is invalid. 

don't you have an arm to heal? haha

rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/15 at 4:08pm
Utah Highland Games:

Had a great time this weekend. Really enjoyed throwing with this group: Myself, Ryan Stewart, Josh Goldthorp, Dan Williams, Jon O'neil, Chad Gustin, and Greg Bell was on the mic! It was hotter that sh!t. Had to be close to 100 degrees.

Braemar: 41'10. PR Tied Dan Williams for 2nd.

Open stone: 50'2.5" PR Tied Jon O'neil for second.

HWFD: 41'6". 2nd. Hand was still bothering me from the giant callous tear from last week. Could do everything I would have liked but still pit together a decent number. 3rd throw my hand ripped open again...it sucked.

LWFD: 76+. 3rd. This is a big dissapointment for me but with my hand getting torn up again and having a hard time throwing I can't be too unhappy.

Heavy Hammer: 107' PR 1st. Fort throw was 103' which led the group until Hosh Goldthorp unleashed a 103+ on his last throw. Squeaked out the win on my last throw with a 105'+. Took extras and got 107'+ on my last throw.

Light hammer: 125+ 2nd. Awful close to a PR but I may have been a little short by inches.

Sheaf: 30'. Ryan, Josh, and I all cleared 30'. Not sure who was in what place by countbacks. Dan Williams won this event easily. He had some throws that had to have been approaching world record height. He just didn't put it together when it counted at the end.

WOB: 16'. Ryan and I both cleared 16' Not sure about countbacks again. Dan won and went on to take shots at his spinning WOB WR @ 20'5". One was plenty hight but he peaked in front. Chad Gustin took 2nd with an 18' spinning throw.

Caber: No idea. Thunk I was last. Caber continues to haunt my dreams...gotta start practicing and work on being patient.

Overall went:

Knebel
Williams
Stewart
O'neil
Gustin
Goldthorp

Could have been Gustin then O'neil. Can't remember. Pretty happy to get my first pro win. Hopefully this is just the start. Got Alaska in 2 weeks...

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/15 at 7:39pm
Great work man!! Huge day!
Jeff Kaste

rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/15 at 9:24pm
Thanks Jeff. I felt good most of the day. Not sure if it made much difference but my mind set was different during this game than others. I went into it really focusing on each specific event because I was thinking more about gaining points for Enumclaw than the actual win. Seems to have made a little difference.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/15 at 1:19am
Lift tonight:

Bench 4x5
Strict Press 3x8
Deadlift 4x8
Lat Pull Down 3x8
Face Pull 3x8
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/15 at 2:27pm
Got out and practiced some WOB and Sheaf. First 4-5 throws sheaf felt normal. Was probably up around 30 feet give or take a little...decided to try something different I saw Dave Brown do at my games a couple years ago. Changed the way I stuck the bag and went with a narrower grip on the fork. First couple were weird but as I got the hang of it they were going several feet higher, at least that's what I was told, than my other throws.

Wob felt good. Clean threw 16'3, went up to 17'3" and was hitting the bar. Best Wob has felt in a couple weeks...I think having my hand pretty much healed up makes a big difference.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
  Share Topic