Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Daniel McKim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/11 at 2:41pm
1/26/11
Wt: 299.5

Hang Clean
225x3
275x3
365x3
365x3
385x3
395x3

Cleans are feeling much better the past two weeks.  I spent some time watching video of my hang cleans from a month or so ago.  I feel like I corrected my pull.

Back Squat
365x8
385x8
405x8

Lunges
135x5 each way (x3)

120 crunches
Ab roller - five out and back, five out and hold for five seconds x 3
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 12:28am
Nice workout Dan.  Really impressed with your squats, for a guy who doesn't train legs that hard.  Yeah right.  405 for 8 is great.  Looks like your cleans are up there, as always.  Wheat thin said that he did 440 hang clean, in college, and that you better get past that number.  I bet you will.
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 12:56am

Dan,

Are we going to see some video?

Who is Wheat thin?  440 hang clean is major.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Pingleton Pingleton wrote:

Dan,

Are we going to see some video?

Who is Wheat thin?  440 hang clean is major.

Wheat thin, is Nathan Wheat.  He is a 6'8" 330lb monster roaming around Omaha.  He competed with Dan in college and is a mutual friend.  He is freaky strong and big.  I brought him out one day to try the games and he liked it, but not really enough to train for it.  He claimed a 440 hang, and I believe him based on his other lifts.  He had a great throwing coach and lifting coach in college, Andy Meyer.  

Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 2:18pm

I know, I know, Peter. 

My video camera is evidently "old," as it's now four years old.  Our laptop died, so we bought a new computer that doesn't have a firewire input ... no adapters at Best Buy.  They told us it's old!  So, I have video of my 295x4 hang snatch from last Friday, but no way to upload it!  So, I'll try my phone camera next time until I can afford a new video camera.

Sorry! 

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 2:26pm

1/27/2011
Wt: 300

I'm real pleased with my body weight gain over the past few months.  I finished the season about 290, then after a few weeks off, hit my training at 280.  I've been going up, for the most part, about half a pound a week, which has been great for the mid-section.  I was hoping to be 300 by April, so I'm ahead of schedule a bit.  I'm guessing to maybe hit 305 in five weeks from now.  I know this sounds trivial to some, but the past seven months I've really focused on my meals, calories and protein intake.  It's been good.

Incline
315x8
325x8
335x8

Seated Sh Press
205x8
225x8
235x8

Pull ups 3x8

Side db raises 3x8

Shrugs
585x8 (x3)

Curls

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 2:31pm
Oh, and thanks for following.  It's crazy, but doing this has helped me track and plan my program better.  I know I do things differently than most, but that's what I believe you have to do; do what works for you.  No person is the same, so why would we all train exactly the same? 
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/11 at 1:38am
I looked through your log. You don't do any power cleans(from the floor). Any reason? 
Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 1:45am
Full power cleans are how I hurt my back three years ago, and
it took me two and a half years to fully recover. Plus, I don't
think they translate near as well as the hang clean and hang
snatch. I feel that those two put you most in the positions you
are in while throwing. All our throws are from the hip level
with the legs in a slightly bent power position.

Just my philosophy.
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 4:39am

1/28/11
Wt: 301

Felt absolutely miserable Friday morning (no matter how many times I do it, 4:30 a.m. just comes so early).  I thought it was just fatique and soreness, but I wound up calling the workout early and going home from work.  Strep throat.  Bad.

I'm never to make excuses, but considering I had strep, I am really pleased with my last set of hang snatches.  I tied my three-rep PR: 305.  Now, it's ugly, and took me five pulls to get three in, but with how I was feeling, I now understand why the pull was slow and not explosive.  I did get it on my phone though; again, I know these reps are ugly, I normally feel much more explosive and stronger than this. 

135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
295x3
305x3

Valenti View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '10, '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valenti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 10:17am

Dan those are balsa wood plates how dare you try and fool us with bogus numbers...I would think better of a national champion and a man of god....how dare you.

almost highland games season let the ball busting begin!

"All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego...brains don't mean sh!t"

Capt. Tony Taracino
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 12:32pm
Strong fellow.  
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 2:23pm

I remember you telling me thats how you hurt your back.  I'm uncomfortable doing traditionl dead lift(thats how I hurt my back), so cleaning from the floor has the same effect.

Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 10:38pm

Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

Full power cleans are how I hurt my back three years ago, and it took me two and a half years to fully recover. Plus, I don't think they translate near as well as the hang clean and hang
snatch. I feel that those two put you most in the positions you are in while throwing. All our throws are from the hip level with the legs in a slightly bent power position.

Just my philosophy.

Dan,

FWIW, while I mostly agree with your philosophy, and totally understand your reluctance to include Power Cleans in your training after what happened in 2008, one thing needs to be said for the benefit of others (with all due respect of course).  You are an extremely strong guy, very experienced in the weight room, and a great thrower, all of which makes the following observations even more instructive.

"Full Power Cleans" per se are NOT what hurt your back.  As the old joke goes (sorry) - Power Cleans are not bad for your back, but whatever you were doing certainly is!  Specifically, you let your lumbar spine flex significantly as you initiated the pull from the floor, putting your back in a VERY poor position under very significant load (365 lbs.) while accelerating hard.  This is basically the equation for a lower back injury.

You still have the video posted on your website:

http://www.believethrower.com/5.html

Stop the video at 0:23 and again at 0:38-0:39 (repeated in slow motion).  Not good!  I literally cringed when you posted this at the time and I came very close to sending you a message telling you to stick with Hang Cleans (which you perform very well), then a day or two later you posted that you had hurt your back:

http://www.nasgaweb.com/forums/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=654 4&KW=Bulging+Disk

The point I am hoping to make for others is not to blame an exercise for one's failure to do the exercise properly, and also to point out the significant downside of doing any given exercise improperly.  Just because some prominant thrower or coach says an exercise is great doesn't mean you should necessarily include it in your program if you do not know how to do it properly or are unable to get into the proper positions for some reason (lack of mobility etc.).  Doing a great exercise improperly is usually much worse than not doing it at all.

Again, no disrespect Dan!

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/11 at 9:36am
Come on, Valenti!  At least capitalize the "G" in God!  I expect more out of an adult ... let alone an Ohio State employee ..
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/11 at 10:41am
Watching those snatches made me realize again why you turn every caber.  The bar gets over your head and behind you super fast.  Huge pulls.
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/11 at 2:37pm
You're very kind, Sean, thanks.  I changed my grip a bit, and after a couple of weeks, I started seeing a much faster and explosive pull.  I'm hoping it translates to a new max PR over the next few weeks.  It's given me a few new rep PRs, but we'll see how I do with a heavier single! 
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/11 at 5:22pm
Dan, could you expound on what your doing with the grip there to help explosion.  Thanks.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/11 at 7:13am

Sure! 

I had noticed in the past that when I struggled with a weight, I would get it somewhat high, but I would wind up pressing it into a lockout all too often.  So, I started watching some video of Olympic lifters and how they would snatch.  I noticed that their hands were at the very end of the bar thus, shortening their pulling distance.  When I started doing it for myself, I found that it kept me from pressing it at the end as well as shortened my pull. 

So, it was really simple, but by moving my hands out wider I created a shorter, quicker pull for myself. 

As I looked at more video, I realized that most everyone does it this way!  How had I gone so long doing snatches with my hands so much closer than everyone else!

Like I said, it took a couple of weeks for me to get used to the new pull, new placement over my head and strain on my shoulders, but it's been a great change. 

Old grip: 310x1 PR hang snatch
New grip: 315x2 PR hang snatch

I have a big number, for me, that I want to hit within six weeks, and I feel that my new grip will help!  We shall see!

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/11 at 2:51pm
2/7/11
Wt: 293.5

Down seven pounds in one week. Strep throat killed me!
So, this is my first day back from being sick; I've got
some eating to do to catch up.

In all, today was not good, but I guess I should have
expected that.

Bench
385x4
405x4
425x3
425x4
315x4 bands
345x3 bands

Close Grip Bench
225x8 bands
275x4 bands
275x4 bands
315x4 bands

Pullover and Press (close grip press for reps after each
set of four)
140x4
140x4
140x4

Db flys
Tri ext.
120 crunches
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/11 at 2:01pm
2/8/11
Wt: ? Forgot to weigh in

Hang Clean
225x4
275X4
315x1
365x3
385x3
395x2 *failed on the third attempt

Squat
315x4
435x4
445x4
445x4

Lunges
185x4 each leg
185x4 each leg

Hex bar squat jump
180x5
230x5
230x5

I've transitioned into my heavier phase, and next week
looks to keep the reps going down in the program. I'm
sore as all get out as it's been a while since I've hit
these low reps. It's great though; I feel great with the
volume I've hit, and I'm pumped to throw on some heavy
weight over the next few weeks. I didn't get the mark I
wanted in hang cleans today, but as I go down to 2s and
1s, I'm excited, because these reps feel much better than
they ever have.
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/11 at 5:06pm
Sorry this is a bit behind. My evenings have been so
packed that I haven't been able to sit down at a
computer. Don't worry though, I didn't miss a workout!

2/9/11
Wt: 293

Pullups
Lat pulls
Seated rows
DB rows
Str bar curl
Db hammer curl

2/10/11
Wt: 294

Incline
315x4
345x4
365x4
370x4.5 *got a touch on the 5th

Seated Mil. Press
225x4
245x4
255x4
255x3

St. behind the neck press
135x4 bands
155x4 bands
155x4 bands

DB side raises
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/11 at 5:16pm
2/12/11
Wt: 294

Hang Snatch
185x3
225x3
275x3
295x3
315x2 PR Tie *Couldn't get a third rep to fall. I hope
to get this and more next week; I feel I'm due!

Just didn't have the pull today. I usually feel the
strongest and most explosive on the pull part of the
lift, but today it felt slow and methodical. On the flip
side, once I caught the weight, I felt really good
standing up with the weight, which is usually my weak
link in the lift.

OH Squats
225x4
275x4
315x4
365x3 *fourth rep fail

Leg curls
Calf raises
Gluteham
Str. leg deads for speed
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/11 at 4:11am
Basic , hard and heavy
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/11 at 6:43am
strong fellow.  
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/13/11 at 10:37am

Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

Full power cleans are how I hurt my back three years ago, and
it took me two and a half years to fully recover. Plus, I don't
think they translate near as well as the hang clean and hang
snatch. I feel that those two put you most in the positions you
are in while throwing. All our throws are from the hip level
with the legs in a slightly bent power position.

Just my philosophy.

For basically all sports, the hang stuff is money. Full cleans are for olifters. 

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/14/11 at 2:28pm
2/14/11
Wt: 299.5

Bench
315x8
365x5
425x3
435x3
450x3

Close grip bench
315x3
365x3
375x3

Floor press (first time for these ... man they fried my
shoulders! I did these on the smith machine since it was
my first time; didn't want to hurt myself)
315x3
405x3
405x3
425x3

Skull crushers 3x6
135, 155, 155

DB Flies

One-arm dbs overhead ext

Banded crunches 3x30

*Overall a good day. I was surprisingly happy with the
floor press. It worked me harder than I thought, and I
could really feel it getting deep into my anterior delts.
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing Sean and Sroka! This is
why I like the training logs, always learning something
new to try!
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/11 at 12:18am
It may hurt your shoulders more on a smith machine because the resistance path is so fixed.  I bet it will be better in a rack.  Your a pressing machine, Daniel.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/11 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Sean Betz Sean Betz wrote:

It may hurt your shoulders more on a smith machine because the resistance path is so fixed. 

Agreed.  Get out of the smith machine. 

Originally posted by Sean Betz Sean Betz wrote:

Your a pressing machine, Daniel.

Agreed.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/11 at 1:19am
Used the smith machine one time in the past 20 years for pressing and I tore my cuff and labrum that day. 

I would love to see you doing the overhead squats, that is big weight there.  Very impressive. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
  Share Topic