Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Daniel McKim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Daniel McKim
    Posted: 1/15/11 at 3:12am

Well, the time has come for me to throw my stuff on-line.  I have been creeping on everyone else’s logs, so I’ll provide my training to see if it gives anyone a new exercise or something.

First, let’s talk supplements.  Here’s what I use:

Creatine: Kre-Alkalyn – PH buffered creatine bliss!  Way better than just regular monohydrate powder.

Protein: Isoflex from Allmax – smooth, great-tasting and great on my stomach.  One thing people don’t realize that I feel is important for protein is whey protein isolate vs. concentrate.  When I used cheaper, concentrate protein, it never really settled on my stomach, and most of it ran right through me.  I feel I get better gains from an isolate as my body absorbs it much better than concentrate.  Look at the labels!

Pre-workout: Nothing specific here, just whatever I have.

Post-workout: Wazy maize starch from Primaforce – This is a tasteless powder that has just calories and carbs.  I will also do some honey and water right after a workout instead of the starch.  A dietician friend of mine got me doing this.  He’s a former strongman, and it’s actually been great for me.  There’s a bunch of science behind it, so if you want me to explain it, I will, but I have the starch or honey right after I lift, then 20 minutes later I have my protein.  The starch or honey raises my glycogen levels back up so that my protein goes right where it needs to.  Sounds crazy, but it really helps me.

My workouts (core lifts that I do every time in parenthesis):

Monday – Chest and Tris (bench, close grip bench) flys, tri extensions, etc.
Tuesday – Anterior Legs (hang clean, front squat/back squat) heavy step ups, lunges, squat jumps, etc.
Wednesday – Back and Biceps
Thursday – Shoulders (incline, seated military press, standing behind neck press) raises, shrugs, etc.
Friday – Posterior Legs (hang snatch, overhead squats) leg curls, str leg deads, glute ham, etc.
*I also do abs three times or more a week; just throw it in as a super set towards the end of my workout.

I typically do an eight week training cycle that I periodize through the time.  So, the first few weeks are higher reps and then as the weeks go on, I do lower reps.  So, usually the first two weeks are sets of 12 with it going down to 2s and 1s on week eight.  After that, I take a full week off.

This cycle, I’m doing something different; and it’s going really well.  I’m finding that after six weeks of hard lifting, my body is getting worn down and my last two weeks are rough.  So, I’m breaking my cycle into two-six week periods.  I’m doing six weeks of higher rep, hypertrophy work, then doing six weeks of lower rep, mass time, with a week off in between the two. 

My periodization is based mostly on NSCA CSCS stuff, as that is where my history and certification lie.  During the season, I do numerous of these cycles, and sometimes break it into mini-cycles with my attempt to “peak” at the close of the season.  That being said, I try to be fresh and “peak” for every games, but as the season progresses to September, I will spend less and less time in the gym, which is hard but worked really well this last season.

So you know my history, here's my bests:
Bench - 515
Incline - 435
Front Squat - 425
Hang Clean - 405x3
Hang Snatch - 315x2

As you can see, I have some work to do in my legs, but I'm getting better!  I went up 90 lbs. last year in my front squat as I finally got dedicated and focused on my legs. 

I’ll post what I did this last week, and hope to keep it up to date from there.  Oh, and I know you already know this, but all my work is done drug-free. 

Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/11 at 3:16am

Monday, January 10, 2011 (Week four of training cycle)
wt: 299

Bench 5x10
315, 345, 365, (added bands and did two more sets at 315 with bands)
Close grip bench 3x10 (225 was about it, my chest and tris were torched after squeezing out the band presses)
Db flys
Dips
Overhead tri ext
cable tri kickbacks
Various abs (roller, crunches, etc.)

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/11 at 3:21am

Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Wt: 299

Hang Clean 4x4 - 275, 315, 345, 365
Back Squat (tweaked my knee a few weeks back, nothing bad, just feel some pressure; fronts hurt, so I started doing back squats for the first time in over six years.  My first few weeks I was so sore, I could barely walk as I try to take these below parallel) - 3x10 - 315, 345, 365
I haven't been back squatting really since college, so this is great for me!   Even then, it was low on my back, legs out wide, just to parallel and even then my max was 600.  I couldn't do these reps then, so I'm hoping for good things over the next eight weeks. And yes, I know my bench is the same as my squats. 

Stationary lunges 3x10 - 135

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/11 at 3:23am

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Back and Biceps

pullups
lat pull down
bent over rows
seated rows with rope
donkey pull ups
str bar curl
db hammer curl
cable curl

Favorite day of the week!  Get my swole on!

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/11 at 3:29am
Thursday, January 13, 2011

Incline 3x10 - 275, 315, 325
Seated Military 3x10 - 185, 205, 205
Standing behind neck press 3x10 - 115 full length bands makes this super tough for me.  The balance, the resistance, the fact that I've already done more than 60 similar presses in the last two exercises
Shrugs - 4x10 - 475.  Here all I'm experimenting with is feeling the weight and letting it stretch me, then exploding up.  I have a mental block on hang cleans once I try to get over 405, so I want my body to get used to heavier weight and hopefully it teaches it to explode through that block when it comes time again to put that weight on (in about three weeks)
DB raises 3x10 - single arm, full range of motion
Back db raise - 3x10 - lie backwards on an incline
Abs
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/11 at 3:35am
Friday, January 14, 2011

Hang Snatch 4x4 - 185, 245, 265, 285 (could have done more than four; my snatch is feeling really good lately, so I decided to keep myself hungry for a possible 295x4 next week)
Overhead Squat 3x10 - 185, 225, 225 (I feel these have helped my snatch and my back to be perfectly honest with you)
Hack Squat 3x10
Leg curls 3x10
Calf raises 3x15
Straight leg deads 3x10 (I do these with cables on a shoulder machine to be honest with you.  I hold them low and EXPLODE from the bottom all the way through so my arms are straight and finish about chest height).  Odd lift, but seems to really get my hammies.  I try to concentrate on accelerating the weight through the bottom like I hope to do in the WOB.  My WOB was lacking this past year, so I've added more things like this one and other other glute/ham stuff to try and get that part of me stronger.  We'll see how it works!
Glute/ham raise 3x10
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/11 at 6:26am
Your kinda strong, dan. Maybe I should start drinking dr pepper.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/11 at 4:36am
Dan thanks for the log. The honey after a workout sounds interesting.
Will enjoy following this log.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/11 at 12:17pm

The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/11 at 12:39pm
Very strong in the o-lifts!!!!  Impressive!
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/11 at 1:07pm
CraigGallo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigGallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/11 at 4:32pm
wow dan those r impressive numbers.
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/11 at 10:07am

1/17/11
Wt: 299.5

Bench 4x8 (first set is more of a warm up)
- 315, 345, 365, 385 

Close Grip Bench 3x8 (bands)
- 225, 245, 245

Plyo push ups 3xmax#
- These are just clap push ups without the clap.  Push up high and land my hands are two platforms, one on each side. 
- 10, 8, 9

Db Flys 3x8 (nice and long stretch)
- 35, 40, 40

Overhead one-are db ext 3x8
- 40, 45, 45

Cable tri ex 3x8

Ab roller 2x10 (first five go out and back, next five go out and hold for five seconds)

Med ball v-ups 2x10

"Guys Day" with my two boys and and a hour-long nap.  Great day.

Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/11 at 9:28am

1/18/11

Hang Clean 4x4
- 275, 345, 365, 375
- Cleans are feeling pretty good lately.  I feel like I've fixed a couple of things, so I'm excited for the next few weeks as I drop the reps and try and up the weight.  Like I said earlier, the four plate jingle gets in my head, and I've only conquered it a few times.  I'm hoping, with the adjustments in training, I will handle it better this training cycle. 

Back Squat 3x8
- 345, 365, 385(10)* had something left in the tank; should have upped the first set.  This is good though, I'm not at the point of collapsing like I was for the first few weeks.  This is my first training cycle of back squats in over five years (been doing fronts for years), so I'm pretty pleased with my progress thus far.

Squat Jumps 3x8
- 180, 180, 180 (hexbar, jump from floor)
- I remembered why I hate these.  Explosive, but tiring.  My cardio for the week!

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/11 at 9:42am
Hang clean 4 x 4 @ 375 

Dan, you are amazing.
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/11 at 10:25am
How did you not clear 18' last year?
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/11 at 11:59am
Dan is like that teenage russian girl that is warming up with our maxes.
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/11 at 1:16pm
Dave, I didn't even clear 17' last year!  I need some serious technical help; I've lost my mojo! 
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 1:09am
Dan's house is about to get seriously noisy, congrats.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 2:31pm

1/19/11

Back and biceps day, so nothing really to report.  Did a bunch of lat pulls, rows and various curls.  Swole day.

Did have a new pr in pullups at my current body weight.  15. 

Did find out my wife and I are expecting twins!  Should be here first part of August.  Ought to be even more lively in my home soon!

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 3:27pm
I'm laughing at how you inserted that tiny little detail at the end. Congratulations, Dan!
ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/11 at 11:40am
Congrats on the twins.
Do you consider your training kind of like power bodybuilding ? Seems like a lot of volume..? Compared to most highland guy's anyway.
And I'm assuming that you cycle back the volume and training days during your throwing throwing season ?
Just curious..as obviously what your doing is working extremely well...glad your posting here...
Take Care
crum
=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/11 at 11:59am
Congratulations on the upcoming twins
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/11 at 12:23pm
Congrats brother. A double blessing for sure.
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/11 at 2:23pm

Ken, you're dead on.  I LOVE to lift, so I hit it five days a week.  The best way for me to do this without getting beat up is to break up the body parts, much like a bodybuilder.  And yes, next week is my last week of 8s, then a week of deload, then it's six weeks scaled down each week; sets of 5s to 4s to 3s and 2s to 1s.  Then, it's off a week, then back to the top!  By doing this sort of periodization, I've found my muscles are always challenged and sore virtually every week; a feeling I love!  During the season, I still lift five days a week, but if I have a games, I'll lift upper body on Monday, throw on Tuesday, Lower body on Wednesday and throw on Thursday.  If it's late in the season, then I might even take a whole week off of lifting completely (which is hard to do).  I feel that because I hit it hard most of the year and early in the season, my body can sustain some decent strength levels late in the season when I back off the heavy lifting.

Hope that makes sense!  Don't mean to bore you!

1/20/11

Incline 3x8
- 275, 325, 340 (had to get a *touch* on the last one)

Seated Military 3x8
- 205, 215, 230

Standing Behind Neck Press 3x8 *strict, knees locked*
- 165, 185, 185
- haven't done this full on in a year or two, they killed me, especially after the incline and seated military.  Gutted it out, and my rear delts are feeling it tonight.

Shrugs 4x8
- 475, 475, 545, 545

DB Front raises 3x8 *full range of motion*
- 30, 30, 35
- I really like these.  I've had some left side trap and shoulder pain and knots over the past year, and these really seem to get in there deep.  I prefer to go the full range above my head to "mimic" a release in the WOB.  This is nothing more than time for me to visualize a big throw.  I like it.

Rear delts 3x8

ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/11 at 4:39am
Ha Ha....not bored at all..thanks for the response...I'm an old bodybuilder at heart and I love training also....
crum
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/11 at 3:14pm
1/21/11

Hang Snatch 4x4
- 225, 255, 280, 295

Overhead Squat 3x8
- 225, 245, 275

Leg curls 3x8
Calf raises 3x20
St. Leg deads 2x8
Glute/ham 2x8
Cable crunches 2x15
Leg lifts off bench 2x15

Poor quality video of hang snatch to follow ... hopefully. 
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:03pm
1/25/11
Wt: 300

Bench
315x8
365x8
385x8
405x7
315x8 bands

Close Grip
225x8x3 with bands

Inverted grip db bench
110x8
130x6 ehhh ...
120x7
- pecs were cashed

Tri ext. machine
1 arm overhead ext

Body is tired, really.  I'll thoroughly enjoy a light week next week.  This is where the mental toughness is hard; knowing your body is tired and needs a break, but hoping it (and you) can hold on for that week off.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/11 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

Did find out my wife and I are
expecting twins!

Congrats to you both. Awesome news.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/11 at 12:40am

1/25/11
Wt: 300

Bench
315x8
365x8
385x8
405x7
315x8 bands

Close Grip
225x8x3 with bands

Inverted grip db bench
110x8
130x6 ehhh ...
120x7
- pecs were cashed

Did find out my wife and I are expecting twins!  Should be here first part of August.  Ought to be even more lively in my home soon!

Grats!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
  Share Topic