Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: ADAM KEEP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/11 at 10:17pm
Today was a good one! If I am here for 2 more months I am going to make the best of it! I am missing the months of pregnancy though that my gf and baby are making the most changes and it is a serious bummer!

Power cleans from below the knee. All sets 3 reps.

135, 225, 275, 315

Bottom position incline bench. Set these up in the rack and paused and relaxed at the bottom of each rep. All sets 5 reps.

Bar, 135, 225, 275, 295, 315

DB rows 4 sets of 12

DB overhead press 3 sets of 6

Chin-ups did 30 total reps. These are rough for me due to the plates in my left arm, ouch!

Finished with some tricep stuff and ran 1/2 mile (didn't have time for any more).

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/11 at 10:26pm
Skipped rope for 5 min. Ran 1 mile. Rowed 1000m, Finished with a bunch of grip work. Feeling great!
105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/11 at 6:12am
Had a not so good workout today. I have been up forever, making trips back and forth to the airport here in Crete, and it seemed like my avionics systems were just hating on me today. To top it off, I basically ate nothing but junk food all day.

Warmed up with some rowing.

Box squats. All sets 2 reps. Minimum rest.

Bar, 135, 225, 315, 365, 405, 455, 455, 495, 520. These went up easy, but it is the heaviest I've gone in a long while so i didn't want to push it.

Finished with a bunch of stuff like leg presses and back extensions, then rowed 2000m. It's all I really had time for. Had to go back to the airport again!
105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/11 at 1:11am
Didn't have time for cardio yesterday due to moving hotels. We are in a really nice 5 star resort thing now, not bad!

Today's training...

Hang Power Clean and Push Jerk. Did 1 hang clean and 2 push jerks.

135, 185, 225, 275, 275, 295, 315, 315.

Pullups 35 reps.

Close Grip Floor Press. All sets 2 reps.

135, 225, 275, 275, 295, 315 for 5 sets.

Finished with some dumbbell work for chest and biceps. Then i skipped rope for 10 min. I will make sure to do some cardio tomorrow! Can't look like a slob on the beach here ;-) Haha!
105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/11 at 3:00am
Yesterday and today I woke up and did a mile run, 10 min on a bike, and 15 min skipping rope. My back is feeling good lately and I am hoping it is going to continue like this!

Deadlifts. These were all speedy as hell! I didn't want to go heavy of course, but I'll take anything really right now because i just love deadlifting! All sets 2 reps. Rest was 40 sec.

135, 225, 315, 405, 455, 495, 515 for 5 sets.

Front Squats. All sets 2 reps. Rest was 1 min.

135, 225, 315, 365, 405.

Finished with some lunges and some assistance stuff. Did some light rope skipping and abs.  
105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/11 at 4:14pm
I've had some awesome training sessions lately, but this deployment is kicking my butt so I haven't been able to log my workouts. My back is feeling great and I think my dead might go back over 700 again this year!
105kg pro strongman
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/11 at 4:16pm
Brutal.  Keep it up man!!!  Get that 7 on film!
The man in the arena.
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/11 at 4:28pm

I have a vid of me pulling 700 beltless from early 2009 at about 225lb. I'll have to find that one. This one will be a bigger milestone for me though as I am doing it post injury and not with the "made from steel" back I used to have.

Thanks a ton though man! Maybe one day, if I try real hard, and I eat all my veggies I can pull like Benni! Hahahaha!!!!

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 6:54pm

Well...it's been a while. Things have been rough on my side of the world. I was deployed in support of the conflict in Libya, but was pulled on 15 April due to my dad passing away. Luckily the Air Force has a good program/plan to deal with these things and I was on a plane 4 hours after being notified and was flying stateside. I've come to terms with it and am back to feeling as normal as possible. Training has obviously been slow, light, and reppy.

May 13-

Powercleans- worked up to 355x3 (this is a pr for me, even before the back injury)

Finished with a bunch of back work and some distance running.

May 17-

Box Squats- worked up to 500x2 for 3 sets then did 405x2 for another 6 sets. All reps were really explosive. I guess I was just feeling it today.

Finished with 3x12 GHR and 300m sprints.

I have changed my training up a bit. I need to do more reps! I need to crush my next PT test so I don't have to test 2 times a year. I missed the excellent category by .2% last time so I will get it this time I am sure of it!

I can't wait to get throwing! I am home now and back into a normal routine. I also have a new job here for the next year that will keep me home so I can train all I want. I bought a 16lb shot so I am going to go toss that this weekend. 

105kg pro strongman
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/11 at 12:25am
Sorry to hear about your dad, Adam.  Good luck the rest of the season.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/11 at 1:23am
Very sorry to hear Adam. 
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/11 at 7:54pm

Thanks guys, it means a lot!

Yesterday's training.

I am back on normal duty now so squadron PT is going to happen every Wednesday and then I will do my pressing afterwards. Gonna be  long while before I hit any pressing PR's I guess.

Squadron PT consisted of loads of pushups, situps, lunges, skipping, bounding, and running. I had a good sweat going on after this for sure!

Hammer Strength Speed Pressing (used bands on these) I like using the hammer strength machines for most of my speed work. I know it sounds silly, but it allows me to be as explosive as possible and not have to worry about technique, just all out explosiveness.

10 sets with 90lbs per side and bands for 2 reps and 20 sec. rest.

Dumbbell bench press (suck royally at these!!!)

90x10, 105x10, 125x6, 125x6, 125x4

1 Arm Dumbbell Push Press

125x2 per side for 4 sets

Weighted Dips

45x5, 90x5, 135x5 for 3 sets and a 4th sets of 4. Was going to do the 5th rep but some dude walked up and told me not to get hurt doing that! WTH?! You don't say that to someone lifting! It totally through me off and I stopped for fear of...yep, hurting myself! Grrr! I think I will start with these next week. I want to work with 4 plates on these again so I can get back up to the 5 I did last year.

Military Press

135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/11 at 6:42pm
Threw my 16lb shot a little yesterday. It was the first time in a long while (maybe 2 years). Everything was right around 45 feet. After all the training I did the day before I was pretty happy with this. I think with a bit more practice I'll be reaching 50 feet, which would be great at my size! I think I'll throw again Saturday or Sunday.
105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/22/11 at 9:39pm

Training on Friday wasn't great. Work was super busy and I just didn't eat enough. I did go in and get at it though so it wasn't a total loss.

Power cleans

Did loads of these working up to 355.

Finished with a bunch of pullups, rows, and conditioning. For conditioning I did sledge hammer slams on the tire for 10 swings and then sprinted 200m for 5 sets as fast as I could.

Went out and threw my shot for 10 throws on Saturday and Sunday. I need to work hard on these. My Standing throw is way too close to my glide. Might try to learn the spin soon I think too. Best standing throw was just over 46 feet and best glide was just over 49 feet. This was a 16lb shot. I want 50+ bad!!!

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/11 at 6:49pm

Had a good one today! I wanna be fast!

Box squats

135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 430x5, x5

Front squats

315x2, x2, 365x2, 405x2 (should have done these first, I wanted to keep going, but didn't have the energy)

Kettlebell swings/Med ball throws

32kg x10 and 6 30lb med ball throws for 4 sets. I'm wondering if the pull through motion of a kettlebell would simulate the WFH very well? Hmmm....

GHR's for 3 sets of 12 holding a 10lb plate.

Finished with some conditioning of 6 sledgehammer swings and pushed my car up a hill 100ft for 3 sets.

Sledgehammer slams 2 sets of 20.

105kg pro strongman
Styler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Styler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/11 at 3:42am
Good stuff! looks like 50 will go down in no time!
Spencer Tyler = Awesome!!!
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/11 at 7:01pm

Originally posted by Styler Styler wrote:

Good stuff! looks like 50 will go down in no time!

Thanks dude!

I don't know if anyone has seen them, but muscledriver has pretty compact medicine balls that going as heavy as 50lbs. Would be good for throwing indoors when the weather is bad. I have 2 40's and 2 30's in my gym and they are awesome!

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/11 at 7:04pm

Wednesday training.

Started with Squadron PT. Lots of pushups, situps, jumping jacks, lunges, squats, and running.

Speed incline on Hammer Strength machine against bands.

45lb per side plus bands for 10 sets of 3 with 25 sec rest

Bench

135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 245x3, 265x3, 275x3, x3 all sets with tons of band tension. Yowza these were hard!

Incline Dumbbell with fatgripz

85x10, 100x6, x6, x6, x6

Push Press

185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3

Bradford Press

85x20, x20, x20

Finished with some grip and called it a day.

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/30/11 at 6:58pm

Last 2 workouts were pretty light. I ended up going to Cornwall this weekend and didn't have time for real sessions. On Friday I ran a bunch and did a ton of pullups and abs. Monday I just did a bunch of kettlebell work and ran a bunch. Looking forward to training tomorrow!

If you are ever in England, Cornwall is an amazing place to visit! So much to see and do and is just naturally beautiful. Also, go see Stonehenge. I know it just looks like a bunch of rocks in a picture, but up close they are unreal!

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/11 at 5:34pm

Tuesday: Cardio for 30 min. 15 elliptical, 10 run, 5 skip rope.

Wednesday. Tried to keep the rest periods short and kept moving the whole time.

DE Flat Bench (crap I suck at bench!)

warm up, 265 for 10 sets of 2 with 20 sec rest.

Sort of DE bench (just trying to be fast with a little heavier)

315 for 5 sets of 2 with 30 sec rest.

Push press

135x3, 225x3, x3, 275x3, x3, 315x3, x3, 335x1, 355x1

Incline Bench

135x10, 225x10, 245x8, 185x8, x8, x6, x6

Ring Pushups

12, 12, 12, 12

Finished with a 1 mile run with a 20lb weight vest on. Holy crap that was hard!

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/05/11 at 7:19pm

Thursday: Ran a mile in 6:55. I wish I could keep that pace for the 1.5 mile run.

Friday:

Power Cleans

135x2, x2, 225x2, x2, 275x2, x2, 315x2, x2, 335x3, 355x2, 365 for 6 fails! I missed every one of them because they bounced off my chest. Bummer.

Deads superset with pullups

365x5/5 PU, 405x5/5 PU, 495x5/5 PU, 405x5/5 PU my back was not happy with me after these. I really need a break I think.

Did a few other things here, but can't remember. Starting today (monday) I am, on my life, going to lift lighter for once. I have been going heavy for too long and that is what created the back injury for me. I miss heavy deads bad, but I think trying to chase them down again is going to ruin my back. I really want to throw now though so that is going to take priority and a massive deadlift is not necessary.

Squats and kettlebells tonight.

105kg pro strongman
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/11 at 3:03am
Originally posted by adam keep adam keep wrote:

I miss heavy deads bad, but I think trying to chase them down again is going to ruin my back. I really want to throw now though so that is going to take priority and a massive deadlift is not necessary.

We have never met and you don't know me at all, but I think you really need to take your own comment to heart for at least this throwing season.  You can still lift heavy, but avoid deads and power squats and focus on power cleans (even just hang cleans), front squats, and maybe some very strict RDLs, Good Mornings, or Back Extensions for your lower body lifting.  Besides, you already have a superb deadlift!

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/11 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Pingleton Pingleton wrote:

Originally posted by adam keep adam keep wrote:

I miss heavy deads bad, but I think trying to chase them down again is going to ruin my back. I really want to throw now though so that is going to take priority and a massive deadlift is not necessary.

We have never met and you don't know me at all, but I think you really need to take your own comment to heart for at least this throwing season.  You can still lift heavy, but avoid deads and power squats and focus on power cleans (even just hang cleans), front squats, and maybe some very strict RDLs, Good Mornings, or Back Extensions for your lower body lifting.  Besides, you already have a superb deadlift!

Dude I fully agree! Back squats don't actually hurt at all, not even a niggle, it's just the deads. I can even power clean with very little discomfort! Training is going to be light for a while though, I am promising myself that! Thanks for the comment!

Monday:

Back Squat (Went light and reppy! Gonna be this way for a while.)

Warm up

275 for 10 sets of 2 with 20 sec rest. Then, 275 for 3x12.

Kettlebells. Used a 24kg for the whole session. Finished as fast as possible.

50 2 hand swings

25 1 hand swings

50 hand to hand swings

Cleans 2 sets of 8

Clean and Press 2 sets of 8

Snatch 3 sets of 5

Front Squat 3 sets of 10

Finished with 1/3 mile run and 10 med ball slams for 3 rounds.

Back felt fine after this. I will keep up what I can and practice all the throwing I can.

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/11 at 5:35am

Tuesday: Ran 1 mile in a 20lb weight vest.

Wednesday: Went to a wedding so I didn't have time to head to the gym. Did a kettlebell workout at home instead.

Used a 24kg kettlebell for entire workout.

Cleans 3x6 per arm

Snatch 3x6 per arm

50 1 hand sqings per arm

Clean/Squat/Press 3x6 per arm

Clean/Press/Squat 3x6 per arm

100 hand to hand swings

Then finished with 100 pushups and some grip work.

Thursday: Ran 1.66 miles doing it in a tabata interval style.

I did a little throwing today as well. Tried the South African style throw for the 16lb shot and on my first throw I matched my PB in the glide. I think I will continue to try to learn this and maybe put up some big throws.

The wedding I went to was amazing! It was for WSM athlete Terry Hollands of England. It was a literal "who's who" of strongman. Svend was there as were plenty of the giants. It felt so weird being the tiny guy there, haha! Also there was so much food I was nearly sick from eating. I had a piece of lamb as big as my head! Yikes! All the strongmen were talking about how fun HG is and how it just seems like everyone gets along better. This really made me excited to get competing!

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/11 at 4:23am

Friday:

Warmed up with Plyos and skipping rope.

Pullups 45 reps

Band Pullaparts for 4 sets of 20

Kettlebell work. Used 24kg for everything but the side bends where I used a 32.

50 side bends per side

Swings/cleans/snatches 6 reps of each for 3 sets

Overhead hold and walk-walked with kb overhead for 100ft then switched hands, did this 2 times per side.

Walking lunge/press 15 reps per side

Finished with... 6 swings, 6 front squats, 6 cleans, 6 swings, 6 front squats, 6 snatches, 6 swings, 6 front squats...with no rest, ouch!

Did a 1.5mi run to finish. Feeling healthy! The kb work doesn't hurt my back at all, in fact it feels great! I didn't do any cleans or anything like that to give the back a little more rest. I will keep with the kb work for a while and do 1 or 2 barbell exercises before hand like squats, bench, overheads, cleans, snatches, and whatever else. Hopefully I can stay explosive and healthy.

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/11 at 2:10am

Monday:

Warm up

Reverse Band Squats (trying to be extra fast on these, speed stayed untill the last set and I was just not poppy at all)

155x3, 240x3, 330x3, 365x3, 405x2 for 10 sets with 20 sec rest.

GHR 3x10

Kettlebell work. Used an 80lb bell for entire workout.

50 hand to hand swings

25 1 handed swings per side

25 cleans per hand

25 high pulls per hand

Clean and press 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 per side

Finished with some running and ab work.

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/11 at 2:55am
Oh I forgot to add, I threw a few times on Saturday but didn't measure anything thinking none of them were great. Well today I went out and measured the holes I created in my lawn (oops haha!) and I had a handfull at 46-48 feet and one of them at 51!!! I don't know what I was doing when I tossed this, but I need to get it back!
105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/11 at 6:55pm

Wednesday: Did squadron PT which was run 450m do 25 pushups, 25 situps, 25 squats and repeat 3 times.

After PT...

Incline speed press

225 for 10 sets of 2 with 20 sec rest

Push Press

275 for 10 sets of 2 with 30 sec rest

Kettlebell work. Used 2 24kg bells

Double Swings 2 sets of 25

Double Cleans 3 sets of 15

Double Clean and Press 10, 8, 6 reps

See Saw Presses 3 sets of 8 per side

Single hand high pull 3 sets of 15 per side. Used a 90lb bell for this.

Finished with 20 1 handed swings per side, 15 cleans per side, 10 clean and presses per side, 5 snatches. Used a 24kg for this.

Ended the workout with some hammer strength incline presses. Used 4 plates per side for 5 sets of 3. I think that comes out to like 7,000lb presses right? Ok, maybe not that much...

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/19/11 at 12:14am

Friday:

Went out and threw the shot for 10 or so throws trying to work on tech. Lately I have been forgetting to open up my hips when I release and the shot is going nowhere!

Tried using a couple of kettlebells for WFH and WFD and they don't feel the same, but certainly better than nothing!

Fat Bar Pullups for 40 reps

Kettlebell work. Used a 32kg bell.

50 2 hand swings

25 1 hand swings

50 hand to hand swings

Cleans 2 sets of 8

Clean and Press 2 sets of 8

Snatch 3 sets of 5

Front Squat 3 sets of 10

105kg pro strongman
adam keep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam keep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/11 at 4:27am

Monday:

Oly Squat

warm up then 350x3, 405x3, 455x3

Hang Power Cleans

Warm up then 225x3, 275x3, 315x3

Kettlebell work. Used 24kg bell.

6 swings, 6 front squats, 6 cleans, 6 front squats, 6 snatches, 6 front squats and did this for 5 rounds non-stop.

Finished with some bicep junk and ran 1.5 miles, then 10 throws with the shot. After all of this I was still hitting 48 feet. Promising I suppose.

Back is feeling really healthy now. I hope it stays that way!

105kg pro strongman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic