Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Adam Brezina

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Adam Brezina
    Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:15pm

The reason for starting this forum is to gain much needed knowledge of the highland games from experienced amateurs and pros.  I figured I need more knowledge to go into my training.  I am 6'3'' and weigh 220 and know I have much weight to gain.  I throw about three days a week and weight train about four.

1/18

Throwing in the complex

LH- high 90's x10 and farthest 100'6- farthest with trying spikes

LWFD- not that great, about ten throws farthest 58'

Braemer- got a new stone (23lbs) x7 around 29'

Skinny guy trying to get big
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/11 at 10:26pm
Thanks for logging Adam!
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 1:08pm

1/19

Weight training day

3x10 25lbs plate hammer winds- feel these will really help me keep my arms long and hips moving

close grip incline press 6x doubles up to 275 for a single

Neider presses with bands 4x5 with 95lbs- very strange and hard to control but when taking the bands off for speed, became very simple

Shrugs- 3x10 215lbs dumbells (not highland games related but felt that i needed to do them

Weighted dips- 3x10 90lbs

Planning on having a good day of throwing tomorrow.... gonna work some WOB and light hammers in for sure

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 1:14pm

Hammers and weights my friend.  Hammers and weights.

Looking forward to taking the field with you in Phoenix.

The man in the arena.
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 1:36pm
when Adam figures out how to stop eating like a junior high girl and puts on some weight he is going to be very tough- has loads of potential and a ton of explosive strength. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 1:58pm

Duncan- same here cant wait to compete with some of the best guys in the games right now.  I feel I have so much to learn from you guys.  Hammers and weights are def I feel two of my biggest weeknesses

Shawn- I had six mcdoubles today.  I am thinking into getting stock in McDonalds I eat there so much.  Any advice

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 2:04pm
day in and day out- eat till your stuffed and then eat some more! (eating becomes not a lot of fun, but eventually you'll gain the weight)
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 4:00pm
Shrugs are good, especially at the beginning.

So says the guy who knows jack squat, but hey...they helped me.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/11 at 4:11pm

Adam, you and I are in the same boat.  The folks on the list are perennial Am Worlds/Pleasanton/ECC/Top 25 kinda guys.  Part of me just wants to watch.  Mike Dickens, finally healthy.  Brian Austin, finally found the intensity button.  Shawn Baker, stronger than most people half his age and still learning technique.  Brian Hare, the man just keeps getting better.  Van de Walle, another guy who can just beat you with hustle.  Jake Sullivan is apparently going to make the trip as well...I hear he was grown in a lab.  Jon O'Neil, well, what can I say that hasn't been said; the guy was everywhere last year.

It will be a good day.

Make your weaknesses your strengths...it makes you a more consistent thrower.  Consistency counts.

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/11 at 2:14pm

1/20

LH- becoming more consistant with this.... 97-98' seem to be my average today with a high of 99

WOB- one event I feel I have excelled in and took time away to work on other events, now have to find my timing.  Not so great, 13'6ish.

Stones- 16lbs braemer style and open- both 38ish.  Need to work on my separation when throwing, and getting more explosion when releasing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/11 at 2:15pm
Duncan, yes this is a hell of a class to be competing in.  I am looking forward to the drive and motivation of the competition.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/11 at 12:56pm

1/21

rest day

1/22

working out with the powerlifters

Low rack deadlifts- 5x3 up to 550.  Need to strengthen my deads, i feel they can help me greatly with cabers and WOB.

Low rack squats- 4x3 up to 400 and a single for 500

Glute ham raises- 2x10 (man do I hate these)

neck lifts with weight 3x10 up to 200lbs

seated calf raises 3x10 up to 350

gonna have a rest day and back to throwing monday.  what is an appropriate time to start going to bands and explosive lifts before the competition?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/11 at 12:01am

1/24

Chest day- bench triples up to 315 in triples.  Havent done in a while so I know now I need to definatly work on this again.

Decline- triples up to 315.  225 starting to work in some explosive sets.  Dont really know when to start transfering heavy lifts to explosive lifts before a games.

Cable Flys- 3x10 up to 110

1 handed barbell snatches- singles up to 135.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/11 at 4:00pm

1/26

Push Press- Doubles up to 245 and a single 255.  Took it down and 185 for 5x3

Hang cleans- doubles to 275 and 5x triples at 185

resistance bands for WFD- 3x10

One arm Deadlifts- finally hit a PR with 365- very happy on this for the day

Hammer winds- 25lbs plate, really thinking these might be helping my hammers

Gonna throw tomorrow some HWFD and hammers- need all the help I can get

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 2:48pm

1/27

Threw in complex with Shawn

LH- 10 throws- very consistant with all throws, 98-100 ft.  Threw new PR with spikes and over all at 102'1''.  I guess I am on the one foot a week plan.

LWFD- another one I never was consistant at with this implement.  Last season throwing 52' consistant now throwing 59' very consistantly.  Trying to become more at 60+

Braemer- I hate that stone Shawn.  Couldnt get a good handle on it whatsoever.  28 I think was the farthest. Whomp Whomp Whomp

Taking a rest day and back to heavy lifting

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/11 at 3:07pm

"102'1''"

Beating me...like a drum.

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 11:09am

1/29

Trained with the powerlifters today

had a good light day, felt good on the body

Zerchser? box squats- triples to 315 and a single at 405

leg curls- 3x8 up to 4 plates

"The punisher" ( an unoiled, broken hack squat)- 185 for 3x8

Calf raises- 400 on sled 3x10

Need to relearn how to WOB this week.  Timing is off

Duncan- thanks for the encouragement, hows the knee?  Any signs of life coming to PHX yet?

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/11 at 11:14am

Adam,

Good work man...just keep working those fundamentals.  You seem to have a good strength base...now dial it in!  I'm very interested to see how you fellas fare out there.

I am out for Phoenix...sent Secksy the email earlier.  2011 looks like it could be a wash for me.  Knee is just not coming together.  Too much fluid on it too often.  Too much cartilage getting eaten up, and WAY too much lateral instability.  Looks like another visit to Dr. Giggles in the near future.  But then comes Dr. Feelgood, and that's all good.

Catch you on the flipside!

D

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/11 at 3:22am

1/30

One handed snatches- single up to 140.  New Pr kinda excited about this

Snatches-up to 185.  Havent done these in a while, suprised I can still do this

Bench- 3x5 up to 330

Speed squats- up to 315 for triples

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/11 at 5:35pm

2/1

Explosive leg day

leg extensions- 3x10 up to 4 plates and 5 reps of 5 plates

Close stance squats- 3x5 explosive up to 315.  One set of 405.... not very explosive.... ok not at all

Close stance leg press- 400lbs explosive 3x5

Anyone have advice on explosive speed workouts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/11 at 3:57pm

2/2

Cold day here in PHX throwing with "old man river"

LH- 12 throws worked on getting long.... helped on the cold since i really couldnt generate any speen- farthest 96's but consistant at 94-95

WOB- 13'6.  numbers arent great but happy that my timing is developing.  good shots at 14 again.

HWFD- learning new technique with it.  farthest 28 but happy with the new info.  feel this can help me into the +32's

studied video today and cant wait to apply to training tomorrow.

Throwing again tomorrow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/11 at 3:06pm

2/3

Throwing with Shawn

HH- havent used in a while but implied long arms for 10- average 75s but farthest is my PR at 79

OS- need to get the steps down again.... and a new stone (+17lbs bowling ball) ha ha.  mostly 32's

LWFD- trying new technique with pushing the weight around me.  makes sense and trying to apply.  Any tips? 13 throws for 58 averages. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/11 at 1:20pm

2/4

Neider presses- 135 3x5 working on explosive speed

High Pulls-225x6, 315x3, 275x5x2.  followed by 185x3x5

Dumbbell flys- 45,55,65x10

Calf Raises-3x10

Forearm curls/grip- 185x7x3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/11 at 8:25am

2/5

Trained with the powerlifters

Deadlifts off 5in box- up to 405

Front squats- got up to 315 for easy triples.  tried 405, couldnt break 90

Bands straight leg deadlifts- 5x3 with 225 and bands workin on speed

One handed snatch (trying to catch up to Mr. Baker)- Pr at 145.  150 seemed very close

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/11 at 3:37pm
Adam, you need to sets your sites higher than a decrepit old man
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/11 at 1:49am

Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Jake Sullivan is apparently going to make the trip as well...I hear he was grown in a lab. 

I'll take that as a compliment, thankyouverymuch.. Bummer you're out bro, was looking forward to sharing the field with you.

Adam, your #s are getting better, I'm impressed, keep up the great work buddy.. I'm looking forward to heading out there in a couple weeks, I'm thinking saturday the 19th, sometime in the early afternoon? It'll be my last training before the games so we'll hit it hard then shut it down and go get a burger or something? Thoughts?

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/07/11 at 2:03am

Originally posted by adambrezina adambrezina wrote:

pushing the weight around me.  makes sense and trying to apply.  Any tips? 13 throws for 58 averages. 

Something I learned from Andrew Hobson at the last few clinics.. on the cast, I'm only casting it to about my chin, maybe upper chest level whereas I used to cast it up to my eyes. I'm waiting for the weight to get around to about 10 o'clock, then getting that right foot set and left foot around as fast as possible.. at that point, you wait for the weight to get to 6 o'clock and really dip those hips down and load them, as soon as it gets to 6, drive hard toward the front of the trig, then dip and wait again (which is a VERY small amount of time because if you pull too early or too late, your throw will be off).. as soon as the weight hits 6 again, give it everything and keep that chest super high.. just saturday I was messing around with casting heights and put a consistent 4' on my throw by changing to the upper chest height on the cast. I'm going to stay with that and get consistent to see what it gives me..  It's probably different for everyone, just figured I'd share what's going on for me though.

I gotta say, the clinics have helped alot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/11 at 3:37am

2/7

Explosive snatches- doiubles 185.  Worked on speed

Speed DL- triples at 405

back felt a little tight so I decided to take it easy

Shawn- ha ha I gotta keep up with the very strong, old, decrepit man

Jake- what you are describing sounds a lot like what I have been trying to do.  Thanks for givin me the times, i will run through those and see how they work out.  I think these are really gonna put a helping on my wfd.  text u later to tell u how it went

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/11 at 3:40am

Jake- practice and everything sounds great.  Especially the food ha ha ha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/11 at 3:44pm

2/8

Back felt better

High Box squats- triples up to 675.  After, explosive triples 315.

Jump Squats- triples to 315x4.  Superset with quick jumps

Dont know what they are called- "gripped dumbell like caber and did practiced throwing"- used 130lbs for triplesx4

High Jumpsx3 and 30yd sprints- did these three times

I feel I need to start getting more explosive lifts in since PHX is coming up.  Throwing the next two days with Mr. Baker.  WOB, LWFD and LH for sure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic