Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Andrew Kanzig

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/19/11 at 5:48pm

Need to make myself more accountable, decided to start posting to my training log again.  Here it goes:

Flat Bench - 135/2x5, 185/3x5, 225/3x5, focusing on moving weight quickly and explosively, when touches to chest, pow!

Core Crushers - 95#, 3x5 to each side.

Lateral raises - 35/5, 40/5, 45/5, 50/5

Abs - 4x20

Did some free throw shooting afterwards to loosen up.  Always seems to get the "deadness" out of my upper body after a workout.  Need to seriously think about investing in a Tendo Power Factor unit.  Will be working on some hammer and stone throws indoors for tomorrow.  Going to try to alternate one day lift, one day throw, vice versa.

"He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson (english poet)
BigScot50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/11 at 3:32am
Today's workout: Throwing.

Indoor hammer throws - 15, working on accelerating on the upswing, generating more speed, keeping balance throughout, pumping feet.

Indoor stone work with shot - was going well, until my 10th throw, which caused the shot to explode on impact of the gym floor causing 1000's of mini lead shot to scatter about.

So throwing workout turned into lifting workout shortly thereafter.

Rack pulls - 135/3x5, 185/3x3, 225/3x3, 275/3x3.  Working on hip pop and moving weight as fast as possible.

Standing push press - 135/3x3, 185/3x2, again moving as fast as possible.

Abs - 4x20

Swiss ball and medicine ball pushups - 3x3, Doing these for core stabilization as my lower back is not the greatest.

Only two more days of work this week, maybe over the weekend can get some better workouts in.
"He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson (english poet)
mthompson33 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/11 at 3:37am
Andrew, just a thought on the alternating thing.  My current regimen is Throw one day, lift the next, then take the appropriate amount of rest/recovery before the next throwing day. Currently that is about 3 days for me, maybe different for you.  My next game is in mid September.  My theory is that I am fresh for the more technical throwing session so I can get as much as possible out of that.  Last night was 24 solid throws with 30# Stone and 19 solid throws with the HWFD.  Tonight will be deads and push press.  Not as technical so it is easier to maintain form when a little tired.

Just my $0.02
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
BigScot50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/11 at 3:54am
Appreciate it.  That's what I was thinking.  Going to be working with Duncan possibly on Saturday, which will be my next throw day.  Probably going to leave gym and throwing alone for a day to recoup.  I do appreciate any advice.  I know lifting, but learning how to appropriately train for this has been a challenge.  My next game is August 20th, so will see if new way of training will pay off.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/11 at 4:56am
What time Saturday Big Swole?
The man in the arena.
BigScot50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/11 at 5:08am
Anytime is good. I know earlier=lower temps. But getting up that damn
early is hard for us nightshifters. 10ish?weights, WOB,
Sheaf, right?
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/11 at 5:17am
See you at ten.
The man in the arena.
BigScot50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/11 at 5:28am
Word, maybe if you were so benevolent afterwards, we could partake
in some good, and I would like to see the power factor in action.
BigScot50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/25/11 at 9:57pm

7/24/11

Practice with Duncan, Mark, Nick, and Kyle.

Braemar style OS - went pretty well, still need to work on driving forward with my back foot and blocking harder.

Sheaf - once we got the uprights up (which took a little while to get a fairly tall sheaf tower up with only 5 people) practice went well.  Threw mostly 20 pound sheaf, made a PR of 26', just missed 28'.  Threw the 16 a couple of times, lost a bet to Duncan that I would be the first to top out the 36 foot tower, lost miserably mind you, should have tried this first before throwing the 20.

WOB - still working on getting that good pull, extending up high and straight, letting go at the top of the movement, not out in front.  Had the height on 13, but no dice.  For some reason, being 6'9" should allow me to dominate at this, but just not getting it where I need to, must be a timing thing.

Overall a good day.  Looking forward to a couple of weight days in the gym and another throwing day this week, maybe 2.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/25/11 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by BigScot50 BigScot50 wrote:

WOB - still working on getting that good pull, extending up high and straight, letting go at the top of the movement, not out in front.  Had the height on 13, but no dice.  For some reason, being 6'9" should allow me to dominate at this, but just not getting it where I need to, must be a timing thing.

Fully understand.  I'm only 6'3", but I have the arms and legs of someone that is 6'7".  In theory this is good, but in practice it requires a great deal more strength to stabilize those long legs and arms such that the proper power can be transferred into the weight. 
Matt Thompson

"If you wake up and you're not in pain, you know you're dead." -- Russian Proverb
BigScot50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/11 at 5:46pm

[/QUOTE]

Fully understand.  I'm only 6'3", but I have the arms and legs of someone that is 6'7".  
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, my reach is like for someone over 7 feet tall, I think that the shorter muscles are easier to make explosive.  In proportion, to get my body looking like some of the guys smaller than me that out throw me (i.e. humongous thighs, shoulders, etc) I would weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-425 lbs.  I just cannot handle that weight with my crappy joints, so trying to keep it lean.  I go 350 now, just can't imagine adding another 75 lbs.  Insane! 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mthompson33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/11 at 12:07am
Hey, had a thought last night while experimenting on WOB.  What position is your torso in at the bottom of your swing?  I realized that I was popping up too fast and getting my torso too vertical at the point I need to initiate the pull.  I am now striving to have a flat torso at the initiation of the pull.  Just a thought.  I could be wrong, but it felt pretty good last night.
Matt Thompson

BigScot50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigScot50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/11 at 5:55am
Acute hip injury slowing me down.  Was able to get a very brief workout done.

Stone throws-got 2 reps in.  Manager at gym comes in and says, "sir, I'm going to have to ask you to stop throwing that in here."  I replied to the effect that there have been about 6 managers of the place since I started working out there and the rest of them approved my throwing implement (since it is an indoor shot put).  He again asks me to stop.  I do and start walking to take it out to the car.  Another person working there asks him, was he throwing a hard ball in there.  I whip around quickly and say, "no, you stupid motherf**kers, it is an indoor shot, made to throw indoors on wooden floors, you stupid f**ks." 

Come back into the gym.

Bench press-3 sets of 5 with 225.
Chest flys-3 sets of 10.

Too pissed off to even finish the rest of my workout, left before I made that prick's head beat-up my hand.

Will try for a better workout tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic