Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Joshua Siau

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 6:29am
Do something every day and log it. BW squats, pushups, chin-ups, fatguy pullups, decent ab work, box jumps, hill sprints, overhead throws, etc. None of that takes any real equipment or gym membership. Just will.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 7:38am
^
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:08am
You gotta want it. 

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:20am
Originally posted by D. Haakenson D. Haakenson wrote:

I agree with Craig. I personally don't think that training with the heavy hammer is very valuable until you are throwing at least 100' in the light hammer, and probably the same with the weights. I'm not exactly an expert on this and my personal throwing numbers may seem a little low to be throwing around advice, but I never practiced with the heavy weight before last year and even then I only practiced it because someone else brought one out one day. At your level, the heavy implements will only bog you down and ingrain the slowness that you want to eschew. Just my two cents.

YMMV, IMO.

I threw well over 100ft lt hammer last year and didn't touch a 22 in training more than 5 or 6 times all year. I also went 116 with the heavy. You can achieve everything you need to (positions) with the 16.

Where I disagree is the hwd. Whether you're throwing in the LW class or the open (42hwd vs 56hwd) it is of my opinion the heavy is vital and the lwd is equal to the heavy to the heavy hammer. The 28 is light enough you can miss positions and still get a "decent" mark. If you miss positions with the 42 or 56 your "decent" mark is gone. The opposite however, if you hit positions with the 42 or 56, then the 28 is just a faster version of it much like the 22 is just a slower version of the 16.

Again, YMMV, but this is how I have my training set up. I'll throw the heavy hammer on occasion and I'll throw the lwd a handful of reps (which is usually about 1/4 as much as I've thrown the hwd) in a given practice.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:23am
Also, refer to this handy flowchart:

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:24am
I've never touched a heavy hammer outside of competition.

I'm just the opposite of jake when it comes to the weights. 
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:26am
You don't touch ANY of the implements outside of competition.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:31am
lol, I mean ever though.  Not just the last 8 years. 

I actually owned a 16lb hammer, true story.  Never owned a 22 though. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:44am
I've only recently begun practicing the 22 with any kind of regularity (once every 3ish weeks?) as to strengthen the push when the hammer is behind me because I can't reach max speed with the 22 in 3 winds like I can with the 16 and 4 winds just FFFFFs up my timing.

Craig, did you have to practice with the 56 first to learn the positions? For someone that is advanced I would agree (sort of, I still like the 56 over the 28) but someone just barely learning, don't you think the 28 would be too forgiving vs a 56? I'm curious about this.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:48am
Well, you're a way better hammer thrower than I ever was, so I defer. 

Nope, I always looked at the throws exactly the same, just one faster than the other. 

And especially not for someone Josh's size. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:50am
Very interesting, srs.

I could throw the lwd 79ft while my hwd was only 33ft. That's what I mean about the 28 being more forgiving. It wasn't until I put some serious time in with the 56 to fix positions that I started getting 38-39-40+ heavy. Consequently, thats when my 28 started moving up over 80 as well. I was stuck at 79 for what seemed like the longest time.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:58am
I suspect it probably has as much to do with body types and strengths as anything.  I threw 40+ long before I threw 80+, esp consistently.    
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 9:23am
Having met Josh and spoken to him face to face about this kind of thing, I would strongly recommend working with the 28 exclusively, or maybe splitting the difference and scoring some midrange weight...maybe a 35 or something.

I say this because Josh is:

1.  Not very tall
2.  Not very heavy

Without the foundation (i.e. cast, footwork, etc.) there really aren't any positives to come out of taking it in the teeth with the 56.  Not to diminish his abilities or be discouraging...far from it.  But the fundamentals don't change for Josh or Jake or Craig or me:

1.  Get a good grip, hook or otherwise
2.  Figure out how to cast and keep the weight off you
3.  Get your rotation/sprint under control
4.  Drive to zeBRO

Get the 28 Josh...or something in between.  The 56 won't teach you anything right now.  Holler at me later and we can rap about it.
The man in the arena.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 8:18pm
We'll, if that is what you guys think then who am I to argue with men of your caliber?
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 10:34pm
Pfffft...caliber shmaliber. We're just guys...same as you.

Minus the adamantium.

Now go practice.
The man in the arena.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/14 at 11:13pm
First entry of the year will be tonight, I have enough room in my small home gym to get some lifting done and I have tomorrow off so I will probably be lifting well into the morning.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/14 at 6:17am
Short and Stabby,
Another bit of unsolicited advice...if you haven't already...

PLEASE contact Mike and Mindy and get their book and DVD. More than any implements or marathon weightlifting sessions, their book/DVD will give you a solid technical foundation since you haven't really thrown enough to develop bad habits.

Not having bad habits is a good thing.

Drills, diet, and lifts...it's all there.

Or get Vincent's LAB or Stewart's dvd...both are solid. I've used them all and am better for it.

I'll we watching!

The man in the arena.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/14 at 12:15am
I'll look into that book. Mike who?

We'll I fell asleep before getting to post last nights workout. It was all dumbbell work, I'm still working to make room in my home gym for the straight bar. It looked a little like this:
Dumbbell curls: 5x10 25lbs
Dumbbell push press: 5x10 25 lbs
Dumbbell squats: 5x10 25 lbs
I wanted to do more but was just too tired.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/14 at 6:16am
I'll let you find it...it's all over this site.

Skip the curls buddy. Forever. Not being a d-bag but if what you have right now are 2 25 pound DB's, I'd be doing:

DB Squats
DB Single Leg Squats
OH Squats
DB Goblet Squats (might have to use a single db for these..kinda wonky)
Russian Twists with one DB (again, kinda difficult...YouTube)
Pushups/Renegade Rows
Kroc Rows (basically just do DB rows until you can't)

Don't fall into old habits Josh; one of the things that just kills me on this part of NASGA is how many people waste their time in the gym doing lifts "for the Games" that never really translate "at the Games." Don't get me wrong, having strong biceps is desirable...we don't want to have an obviously weak link...but for throwing, you'd be BETTER served by saving the energy you used up doing those 50 reps and doing more squats. More deadlifts. More OHP.

If you don't have a lot of time, and you don't have much space, then you really cannot afford to waste either. Spend your time and effort on things that matter, not just things that feel comfortable.

The best in the business have a fairly routine (some might say boring) stable of lifts. Certainly, they do other things as well (and very well) but when the dust settles, they bench, they squat, they pull, they press, and they clean/snatch. It isn't a secret.

Love ya to death man; I'm jumping your a$$ about this because I want you to do better. To do that, you have to commit to the long road of slow and steady.
The man in the arena.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/14 at 6:35am
What he said. 

Body building is cool and all but it's more of a reward for us throwers than our actual workouts. 

You can do it!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/14 at 1:26am
Oh man does that hurt. But a good hurt. I have the straight bar set up and funny 22, 33, and 44 lb weights.
Squats: 2x10 89lb
             2x10 111lb

Deadlift: 2x10 111lb
              2x10 133lb

Dumbbell
Push press: 2x10 25lb
                    3x10 30lb
This hurt like hell, but it was a GREAT hurt. I am going to be walking a few miles tomorrow morning before work so I don't seize up. Oh, and I spent the whole workout listening to Fork-Talk. Love those guys
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/14 at 5:46am
Better.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/14 at 6:09am
Much.

Also:
Single Leg Romanian Deadlift
KB Swings
KB Rows
Hill sprints
Stair runs

Move that body with purpose.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/14 at 8:33am
^
MOAR this.

Get a jumprope.  One of the best tools I have in the Ludus; certainly the one I use the most. 

Fast feet.
The man in the arena.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/14 at 12:08pm
As soon as this weekend of work hell ends I'll get back to it. For now I'll research some of those lifts. The stair runs I do everyday at work, 7+ flights of stairs to patrol.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/14 at 8:41am
You would be wise to take a few minutes today and think about Nan-in.
The man in the arena.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/14 at 10:00pm
Nan what?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/14 at 10:25pm
Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Think on this...
The man in the arena.
Todd Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/14 at 3:48pm
Duncan............................that was beautiful!
crouch,touch,pause,engage
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/14 at 6:33pm
Word.
The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic