Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Joshua Siau

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/11 at 5:52am
Very, very, very sort of but not really general guideline that I use, but other people don't, necessarily.

First 2/3 of offseason (late October - beginning of Feb)....lift big weights.  Try to push my 1-rep or 3-rep max up by some significant amount.  I'm in the gym, religiously, 3 x / week... throw shot put or discus or something about once every two weeks.  Actually I throw more than that because this is my "track" season--- Such as it is.

I have no gym access curing Christmas Break so I just throw  shot put and discus a lot. I think it's a good break from pounding the weights really hard.

Last 1/3rd of offseason (Beginning of Feb - late March) .... lift smaller weights and make them go fast.  I do more Oly lifts (probably just high pulls and hang snatches, now)  and do some pylometics and general jumping around.   I start throwing Scottish more regularly around the middle of March.

The Season  begins (for me, mentally) around April 1st.  I lift 1x a week and throw 2x a week.  Lifting is lighter weights, fast, always with one or two basic core exercises in there.

In the 3 weeks before a couple select "Big Games"  I build up to working out hard 4x a week, then taper off 10 days before the event.  .....like Enumclaw and Pleasanton.  Must get at least 4-5 days rest before a big Games.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/11 at 3:11pm
so, Had a fantastic time at the First Belfair games. the small athletic field was kind of humbling. sunday, I ripped off a callous for the first time, and it hurt like a mother f#%$@r.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/11 at 4:08am
Josh your form is improving especially in your WFD!  lookin good!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/11 at 3:11pm

Thanks Jay, that really means alot to me coming from you.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/11 at 2:28pm
well, it's almost that time. I have the day off tomorrow, so my trip list is: Clean my car, buy snackage,  pack, load everything and everyone in the car, gas up the car, and head on down to my lodgings in Ryderwood. see you folks in Kelso!
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/11 at 4:46pm

As I was planning my trip for Kelso, it dawned on me: I'm coming up on the end of my second season in the highland games. and while I know this isn't any huge milestone, it made me realize I am really doing this. In most things I've done I give up long before now. but it's like I couldn't quit this if I tried. Like God has finally led me to what I'm meant to do.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/11 at 5:45pm
what a fantastic note to end the 2011 season on! I beat almost all my old scores, including my WOB score for even the weight I did throw. Guess that's my last Novice games.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/11 at 6:28am
I saw your Kelso numbers....BIG improvement for you, Josh!

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/11 at 7:59am
Thanks Alan.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/11 at 4:44pm

Got back to the gym today. I think I pulled a muscle in my ass.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/11 at 10:32am

so, got to the gym today. felt really really good.

warmup with 16kg kettlebell.

Power clean   20kg x 8 ; 30kg x8x2

Deadlift   30kg x8x3

squats   90lbsx5 ; 110lbsx5x2

elevated benchpress   70lbs x4 ; 60lbs x5x2

feels good to be back at the gym. can anyone think of any muscle group I'm missing?

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/11 at 5:44pm
OK, you had two-three weeks off. Call that your recovery period from all that throwing. Now....if you want to really improve, you won't miss that length of time again all winter. You can miss a day, maybe even two... but three weeks? Nope.

so the muscle group you need to exercise is the motivation muscle group.

Or NOT. It's all about priorities, never forget that.  You will set your priorities, and if they don't include 3x a week gym workouts, then that's fine. Your call. But then don't expect massive improvement in the throws  next season.  You need to decide what's important.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/11 at 1:01am
What's your workout look like over the next 8 weeks? 12? 24?
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/11 at 5:54pm

went back to the gym today. warmed up with Kettlebell. also used a machine that works my triceps and I think the biceps a little. two sets of 12 reps, 200lbs.

power cleans: 30kg x7 reps x2 sets

40kg x7 reps

deadlift: 40kg x8 reps x2 sets

50kg x8 reps x2 sets

squats: 110lbs x5 reps x4 sets

elevated benchpress: 60lbs x5 reps x2 sets

finished off with 5 minutes on the bikes and 20 minutes in the hot tub then pool. I have to say, I didn't think it would work, but it really does work to clean out the gunk. I'm not nearly as sore or stiff the next day.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/11 at 5:56pm
tell you what, if I feel this good after all workouts I'll have to bump up to 4 days a week in the gym instead of just 2!
Megan Melham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megan Melham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/11 at 4:04am

Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

tell you what, if I feel this good after all workouts I'll have to bump up to 4 days a week in the gym instead of just 2!

If you do decide to bump it up to 4 days a week I would suggest taking a serious look at splitting up your workouts into more manageable sections so you don't burn yourself out. Doing power cleans, DLs and squats all in one day can put some serious strain on your muscles and tire you out. Tired usually leads to bad form which leads to injuries.

Also, don't forget to throw assistance work and STRETCHING in there to keep everything happy. It's all about balance. Have you written anything down schedule-wise? What days you can work out, how much time you have, what you want to work on a specific day? All this stuff helps. My two cents.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/11 at 3:44pm
I think I talked my twin into going with me to the gym now and again. that should be a huge help with my motivation
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/11 at 4:10pm
I hate mud when I'm trying to throw. and apparently it
hates me. Messed up my ankle on a spin for open stone. last
time I train without my throwing shoes.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 1:58am

Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

I think I talked my twin into going with me to the gym now and again. that should be a huge help with my motivation

WAIT A MINUTE... YOU MEAN THERE 2 OF YOU? OMG

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 2:13am
Where's all the gym workouts since the last posted one on 10/4?
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 7:51am
there haven't been any. I haven't had the money to go, so
I've been biking around town.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 7:58am
Personally I think you have a real lack of motivation. I cant see how you would ever improve as Highland Games Athlete if you need to be "motivated" to use the gym and have not worked out in over a month. You might be just wasting your time. Perhaps Im being a bit harsh but I really cant see you improving if you cant get yourself motivated. Its what you are able to do when no one is watching you or pushing you, which shows what you are made of.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 8:36am
Josh, go buy a $5 , 50 pound sandbag at Lowe's. Wrap it  in duct tape and start picking it up and putting it down and doing deep knee bends.  Seriously.

Look on Craigslist for free weights that people want to get rid of. You can easily put together a bar and 100-200 pounds of weights for next to nothing.  Look on Craigslist for a free bench, they're on there ALL the time. 

This doesn't have to cost a lot.  but you have to DO IT.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 6:26pm
... I can honestly say I never even considered any of that,
Alan. I'll have to start browsing.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 1:41am

Rocks are free and come in various sizes. You can press, curl, push press, row, deadlift, spin, shoulder, carry, throw in multiple ways.

Also head over to http://www.rosstraining.com and read many articles.

Maybe not ideal for HG training, per se, but there's no such thing as can't. Only won't.

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 5:43am
Make a sandbag.  Go look on YouTube for sandbag workouts. They cost next to nothing and they are great workout implements.

Craigslist for weights. Even if you have to buy a few, and even if you have to use a 1-inch bar instead of an Olympic bar you can easily put together a rig with dumbells and enough weight to squat, press, and do deadlifts for minimal cash.

Slosh pipe for core.... go look on YouTube. This might cost you all of ten dollars.

Push-ups. Sit ups.  Get a 30-40 pound rock and pick it up and throw it all over the place.

Get a biggish truck tire. Just go down to the local tire store and beg them for a biggish truck tire. It doesn't have to be a tractor tire.  Now get a  3-4 foot piece of  half inch or even 1-inch  rebar from Home Depot.  Again, this might cost eight dollars, maybe?      Jump into the tire, jump out of the tire. Do it again.  Whale away  on the tire for 10 good slams with the rebar, leading with your right hand.  Now slam it ten times with the rebar, leading with the left hand.   Now pick up the tire and lift it over your head.   Do it again.  Repeat that routine for 10 minutes or until you go through the whole thing 3x.

Get a 20 foot piece of big, but cheap rope. Again...what?  Ten bucks, maybe 15 at Lowe's?    Tie it around the tire. Now drag that tire 100 yards down the street, with the tire in front of you, pulling backwards. Turn around and drag it back again, facing the other way.  Go as FAST as you can. Repeat.

Seriously, if you just did this...

A.)  that jump-slam-lift tire routine
B.)  20 minutes loading the sandbag and doing deep knee bends with it
C.)  5 minutes with the slosh pipe
D.)  tire drags for ten minutes
E.)  push-ups until you can't do any more.. as you get stronger, say when you can do 2 x 15, elevate your feet  on a milk crate or on the tire and keep going.
F.)  20+ sit ups
G.) 30-40 pound stone loads to your shoulder and then two-handed throws, 10x  forwards and then 10x backwards

If you did THAT  routine 3x a week all winter, you'd be an animal, Josh.. That routine will take you an hour, and the equipment is mostly free or less than ten bucks.

If you can scrounge a weight bench and a mess of weights and a bar off of craigslist then you can be even more specific.
Andrew Akins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/11 at 10:16am

Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

Look on Craigslist for free weights that people want to get rid of. You can easily put together a bar and 100-200 pounds of weights for next to nothing.  Look on Craigslist for a free bench, they're on there ALL the time. 

This doesn't have to cost a lot.  but you have to DO IT.

This works!!! All of my equipment I picked up from craigslist or the local recycle center (I'm there at least every 2 weeks). I have about 280 lbs of weights, a nice curl bar, 2 barbells and a Weider home gym with 2 - 110 lb stacks. I managed to get all of this for less than $30. The home gym was free from someone moving to a smaller home.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/11 at 2:19pm
went for a bike ride today with my Fiance. she's in even
worse shape than I am, so we just rode around the
neighborhood.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/11 at 10:55am
Josh.... SeaTac Craigslist.

mess of weights, couple of 1-inch bars, dumbell bars, clamps.  $25

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/2695940657.html

Camano Island....bar and hundred pounds of plates. Hey, it's not a lot of weight, but dude, they look like they're in good shape.... $35.  Get in the car and go get them.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/2657867680.html

If you bought those two things, you'd have enough weight to work hard all winter long.

Here's a nice, totally basic bench....$40

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/2694102439.html

You want to do more stuff?  Same money, nicer bench with uprights so you can do incline bench press...good for upping your open stone numbers, Josh...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/spo/2682058756.html

You team that bench up with the weights and bars in the first two links and you can lift your brains out all winter long, Josh and you spent less than $100.

Holy crap...a squat rack for peanuts!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/2694167399.html

Is that too much money?  Here's a cheapo bench and a crapload of junky weights and some rusty bars, but you know what?  They'll still makes you stronger.  THIrtY LoUsY BUckS.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/2691770491.html

If that's not trendy enough for you, then look at these...

Look, a whole freaking Marcy machine with a crapload of weight....TWeNTy FiVE BUcKs in Gig Harbor.  You might have to shoot WD40 into the bearings or replace some cables. Big whoop.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/spo/2683648843.html

Weider machine in Shelton...sure it's a '"machine" but you can do all sort of crap with this machine.  Lat pull-downs, flies, leg extensions etc. etc...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/spo/2693838163.html
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/11 at 2:09pm
I've been checking Craigslist since you mentioned it. I've
found a lot of things I like, now I'm just trying to narrow
it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic