FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: JVG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/11 at 1:14pm
DL
96,135,225,315,336x5, 357x10
Incline Press
185x5x5
Shoulder Flexibility stuff, stretching and mini band pull aparts

short and sweet, was running late from a fundraiser thing, throwing tomorrow if weather permits.

chickswithstevebuschemi'seyes
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/11 at 2:20pm
missed Friday session, threw lots over the weekend.

Open Stones, most around 35. Hit a 36+ with my 15lber, all with horrible form also.

LH, third time this year with this. No tacky, first session out grouped at 72, second grouped at 75, went 2" short of 80' today. Feeling good.

LWFD. Turns were slower than my old dog. So I brought out this old 22lb guy I used to practice with. 5 throws with that......lotsa speed. Then back to the 28....all that speed was right back to where it used to be. 45-50's.

HWFD. Hitting the right spots, feels good....but the distance isnt there yet. Not worried, it'll happen. 30-31's.

Set some new goals, all attainable.
I've had no problems putting my time in at the gym, but admittedly have limited throwing time in. I read a book a few years back in regards to the 10,000 hour rule. I'll probably never throw that much, but you get the point. Its all about putting the time in.

malcolm gladwell

Also, since the weather is breaking.....and soccer/dodgeball season is almost over. I think I'm going to go from 2 to 3 days in the gym, in 3 different gyms, and throw twice a week.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/11 at 3:46pm
Farmers Walk
225x60'x2, 315x60'x2, 405x60'x2

Incline Press
95x10. 135x5, 165x5, 195x5, 215x3, 225x3, 235x3

Bent Over Rows
165x5x5

Strict Press w/15" camber bar
100,120,140,160x5

Rack Pulls
315, 405 x5, 500x3x5

then played half a game of soccer in goal.

feeling good, keeping strength high (for me) while starting to feel lighter and creating speed.

my dog says whats up

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/11 at 6:00am
Last nite

Squat
148,198 x 5, 235,285,333x3, 365 x4

Prowler Runs

2"Axle , ground to overhead
95x2, 115,135,161,211.5,231.5 x1
then cleaned 261.5.....couldnt get the press
back to 211.5 x 7

mini band pull aparts

lots of caber today. friend has some land, went and harvested some good stuff. she's going to try and write off a portion of her land as a "caber farm"
love it.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/11 at 2:04pm
Incline Press
95,135,185x5 225,235,245x3

Yoke, 60'
292x2, 292x2, 432x2

miniband pullaparts, snatch stretch

SLDL
215x3x3

first games is this Sunday, pumped.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 8:23am
i did this yesterday

vid
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 8:36am
Don't let him sandbag, he did everything I did, only he did it farther and faster.  Jasen is going to do some serious stuff in Lightweight this year in Highland Games and Highlander.  He's come back from that year off eith a vengance. Great job man!!!!  I'll get your FW and the end of your sled up when I get home.
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 8:42am
JVG,

"HWFD. Hitting the right spots, feels good....but the
distance isnt there yet. Not worried, it'll happen. 30-
31's."

I need the secret! I weigh in 192 (this morning) and I can
get the 56 out to 21 and some change.

30' is awesome!

Jase
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Jason Cherry Jason Cherry wrote:

JVG,

"HWFD. Hitting the right spots, feels good....but the
distance isnt there yet. Not worried, it'll happen. 30-
31's."

I need the secret! I weigh in 192 (this morning) and I can
get the 56 out to 21 and some change.

30' is awesome!

Jase

how much are you yelling?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 10:40am
yelling?

I used appropriate punctuation; only two exclamation
points. Capitals when called for. <shrug>
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 11:00am

yelling?

I used appropriate punctuation; only two
exclamation
points. Capitals when called for.
<shrug>

You sure did, but I was referencing your
throws, not your interwebbing.
I like to yell when I throw.
Aldo....those hwfd #'s are with the 42, so
you're right with me.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 11:37am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyAb7dHVV_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcy4Ry4v17Y

There ya go, sorry I missed the starts.  I couldn't catch my breath then get my camera open and recording fast enough.

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/11 at 2:12pm
My bad.

Nope not a yeller. Does that help?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/11 at 7:25am

My bad.

Nope not a yeller. Does that help?

doubtful.
however I yell lots for some events and not at all for others.
i yell at cabers.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/11 at 7:34am
Well done Jasen and Andrew, lots of WIM in those videos.  
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/11 at 8:13am
WIM? - Please enlighten me...
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/11 at 8:23am
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/11 at 8:28am

Thank you, very much. I really appreciate that. 

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/11 at 8:33am
threw for a few hours yesterday
then gym

Squat, 149, 198, 238x5, 278, 313, 343 x 3
DL 275, 315, 365 x1

not so great numbers, but at least I got something in.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/11 at 1:42pm
played soccer tonite. I quit the league, but the team I started went another session. Their goalie couldnt make it, so they recruited me back for a double header.

First game, we won, I allowed 2. Killed it.
Second game, same thing in the first half. Then I felt like my team got confident with me back there or something, cause there were a load of 1 on 1's. All quick ass little hi school kids. I got drilled a bunch, off the chest, everywhere. Until I took one from about 10 feet away in the face.
I knew I was going to have a nosebleed so I just took my shirt off so I wouldnt bleed all over it and starting walking off. Pretty sure their usually goalie wouldve been uber pissed. I really dont even care, if anything I just proved to myself that I can pretty much take the physical abuse and shrug it off.
The other team was asking if I was "on the juice" as the youngsters were calling it. Obviously not, but I'll take it as a compliment.

Oh yah, and I threw 7 PR's on Saturday. Its amaxing what an 18 month off season at the right gym can do for a fella.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 12:31am
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 12:43am
Originally posted by vonguinness vonguinness wrote:

Oh yah, and I threw 7 PR's on Saturday. Its amaxing what an 18 month off season at the right gym can do for a fella.

thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 1:24am
Ya, Jasen is an animal this season. 
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 4:21am
s00ner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s00ner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 8:36am
didn't realize you were a LW...solid numbers in the gym... you gonna be at KC next month?
Training to improve is nice... but I train to humiliate the competition. - Shelby Starnes
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 10:42am
Originally posted by s00ner s00ner wrote:

didn't realize you were a LW...solid numbers in the gym... you gonna be at KC next month?

Thanks.

nope, this is actually my second real season throwing, so I dont think I was on the radar for invites. I cant really count the one games I did last year because I was out for a good long while with an achilles tear. Hoping this years numbers will get me my invite to next years LW gig.

I've got lots more work to do in the gym, and even more to get that strength and speed to carry over to throwing. You're throws are looking real solid, especially those hammers, like whoa. I'm sure we'll see each other sooner than later.
s00ner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s00ner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 11:12am
I only threw as LW once last year and it wasn't put on NASGA. But I managed to grab one of two open slots in KC this year.

This is my second season also.  My offseason was bad in terms on lifting due to a groin injury but my throws improved big time.  I think you need a certain level of strength, some events more than others.. .but nothing beats throwing to get better at throwing.  My hammers sucked last year and over the offseason I probably did hammer 3-4x per week. Now I need to bring up the other events...

Training to improve is nice... but I train to humiliate the competition. - Shelby Starnes
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 1:52pm
yah, I gotta get my HWFD nailed down. I'm consistently 3' short of last years average. Need to be more like 36ish to get the points I want. That.....and just do what I do in practice with the sheaf in an actual games.

Good Luck in KC.

tonite.

Box Squats for speed
45,135,225x5, 315x5x3

Incline Press
135x5x2, 190x5x5

Snatch
95 t0 165 by 5lb increments via 1 rep

lotsa stretching, lotsa mini band pull aparts

besides a 70mile canoe race, my next games/strongman isnt until June 25th, gonna try and fit a nice cycle of some weirdo 5/3/1 stuff in there. One PL movement, One Strongman, One OLY movement per workout.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by thegnome thegnome wrote:

Ya, Jasen is an animal this season. 

thank you sir.
that's just a year or so of frustration coming out. rawr.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/11 at 2:49pm
Squat
59, 147, 195, 245, 333 x3, 365 x2

disappointment. hit 365 for 4.... 6 weeks ago. however, i've been throwing lots and hitting a few weddings, so it makes sense.

yolk, all for 120'
292, 392, 452, 502.
only the third or fourth time doing this, happy with the 502 for that distance with no drops.

overhead medley
100db,100keg,200axle,200 log   that medley for 3 rounds
thinking about taking it a little slower on the first 3, so I have some in the tank for reps with the log.

axle deadlift
318,382,432x1
the bar was there from the overhead stuff, so why not. looking for 450 when fresh.....feel pretty positive i could get that. for the the deadlifting i've done in my strength travels, its still a crappy lift for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>
  Share Topic