Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Interview with Craig Smith (12/16/09)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Craig Smith (12/16/09)
    Posted: 8/24/11 at 7:40am
Interview with Craig Smith (12/16/09)

Here is my interview with Craig Smith, Strong man and Highland Game thrower.  I have known him now for about 10 years.  We started near the same time and competed with each other as an AM.   I have roomed, competed and sought his advice.  He still coached or advises me as I run most things I do on the field or in the gym by him.  I love this guy, so here it is.

How old are you?

What city do you live in?

Dayton, Ohio

What do you do for a living?

I'm a Probation/Pretrial Officer, and have been for the last 12 years. 

What do you drive?

2009 Chevy Malibu.

What music are you into now days?

I enjoy most forms of music, with the exception of classical.  The standard for me is old school hip hop or harcore rock/metal.  Anything from Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, and Slick Rick to Hatebreed, Pantera, and Soulfly.

What beer do you buy to drink?

Typically, Miller Lite.

Republican or Democrat?

Neither.  But certainly more conservative in my ideals.

Favorite actor?

Matt Damon.  Rounders, the Ocean's movies, the Bourne movies, Good Will Hunting, etc...  Great actor and seems like a funny, down to earth kinda guy.

Are you more a sci fi guy or western?

Neither, but western if I had to pick.  Action and Comedy is pretty much where I roam.  That is, unless we count Tombstone as a “western”, as it doesn’t get any better than that movie. 

When you go out to eat with Kara, what do you wear?

Jeans and a t-shirt.  If I'm really getting fancy, I may put on a belt or a collared shirt.

What do you like to watch on TV?

I don't watch much TV, but we seem to watch the CSI shows semi-regularly.

Tell me how you met Kara your wife?

We actually met at the Stone Mountain Highland Games, but knew each other for quite some time prior to that from being in similar sports, knowing some of the same people, and frequenting some of the same message boards.  She came to watch the competition that day, and the rest is history. 

Tell me some of the things she has won?

Oh wow, where do I start?  She has competed most recently in Weightlifing, Powerlifting, and Strongman.  She has won Powerlifting Nationals multiple times in various federations, won Bench America, and has set and broken many All-time World Records. 

How many kids do you have and how old are they?

I have two, Makenna is 7 and Keegan is 8. 

Where were you born?

Dayton, Ohio.  I went to school at the University of Cincinnati, but then came back to Dayton as the job opportunity was better.

What sports did you do growing up?

Soccer, from as young as I can remember until I was 13.  Then switched to football until I tore my ACL/MCL and didn't play the last couple years of high school for fear I would be too slow.  I was a wide receiver.

How did you get into lifting weights?

I think like most boys, I always wanted to be big and strong from when I was young.  Looking at bodybuilding magazines will do that.  I lifted for football in high school, and continued after that, but didn't really get consistent until I was in college.  I remember being a freshman in college and pulling a 315 deadlift.  I thought that was big time, lol. 

How did you get into the highland games?

I was in college, training on a regular basis and working as a personal trainer in a gym.  My manager at the time, Mike Creemer, was into strength sports and often had copies of Milo around.  We saw highland games mentioned, found one close by, and after watching thought it would be fun.  I also began competing in Strongman at the same time.   

What was your first game?

Carrollton, Kentucky (1999)

Who was at your first game?

Kerry Overfelt, Bill Macdonald, John Smith, Lannie Pullon, Doug Ballard, and I am sure I’m forgetting some others.  I was terrible, like most first timers, but enjoyed it so much. 

Talk a little about competing as an am and what you liked?

I competed for a couple years with very little training just because it was fun and something to do on the weekends.  The camaraderie in Highland Games is unlike any other sport.  Everyone is accepting and always willing to help.  

What was your favorite game as an AM and why?

Hmmm…I did so many games as an Am that’s it would be difficult to narrow it down to a single game.  I traveled a lot to the south and threw many SSAAA games, which included being on multiple North/South teams, being on the USA vs. Scotland team, and winning the SSAAA Championship my last year as an amateur.  So I have to give thanks to the SSAAA and all the games they put on.  The East Coast Champs in Alexandria, Virginia was also a favorite, because it was such a goal to get to that game, as well a stepping stone to the Pros for many athletes.    

What is your favorite event?

It’s a tie between the stone and the caber, and could vary depending on what game we’re at.  They are my best two events, so it’s easy to say they are my favorite. 

What was your best or favorite throw at a game?

I’ve been lucky enough to hit a few decent throws in my career, but winning the Open Stone at the National Championship in 2007 with a 55’5” throw ranks really high.   Another memorable throw for me was throwing the heavy hammer 114+ in Frederick, Maryland in 2004.  The reason for that one is that while traveling to the game with Kerry Overfelt, I told him that I was going to throw 114’ the next day.  I called my shot, very Babe Ruthesque. 

What do you think about the spin in the WOB and how it changes the game?

I’m honestly not a fan and I think it should be an entirely different event.  It has changed the game tremendously though, some would call it evolution.  I would much rather prefer it to be viewed as more of a power event, and have the athletes stand and deliver.  I’m quite sure I’ve given up some prize money in the last few years by not committing to the spin.

Who do you follow in philosophy in weight training?

There isn’t one person or one philosophy that I follow, although I think a lot of people have some valuable information.  My training was always self-constructed, and evolved through trial and error.  It is still evolving to this day.  It’s a very long journey, and I have learned a lot.  I doubt many people would do what I do, or have done, despite the results that I have gotten. 

Tell us some about traveling with Kerry, as we know you run with him a lot.

F that guy... 

Seriously though, Kerry has been one of the best friends I have ever had.  We have spent an immeasurable amount of time traveling and competing together over the last 10 years, and I attribute a lot of the success that I have had to him.  I don’t know anyone who has worked harder than him to be a great athlete, and he deserves every accolade that he receives.  He has helped me more with throwing than anyone else, and I still look to him for coaching every single time we are on the field together.  On top of that, we are both insanely competitive, which makes for some fun times.  He is terrible at mini-golf though, and typically cheats in an attempt to win. 

What turns you on still throwing, what do you dig still to this day?

I still like to compete, but more than that I enjoy the people and the atmosphere.  2010 will be the fourth year that I haven’t touched an implement outside of a competition, so it’s hard for me to have expectations like I used to with regards to how far I throw things.  

What turns you off throwing?

Not much really, but after years and years I can see how people get burned out. 

How much poker do you play in a week?

I usually play about six days per week, anywhere from one to five hours a day, depending on what else is going on.  

How did you get started with playing poker?

I have played games/cards my whole life, so it was just a natural step I suppose.  I played off and on for quite some time, not really getting serious until late 2007.

What else do you do for fun?

Hang out with the family.  I have an awesome wife and awesome kids, and spending time with them is what I like to do.  That is also part of the reason I don’t compete as much as I used to, I enjoy being at home.   

Are you into the clan and history of the games, or do you just dig the throwing?

The throwing is what brought me in, but you can’t help but get wrapped up into the culture as well. 

How many games will you do this next year?

I have already cut out most the long distance travel, so I am planning on 5-7.  That’s what I said in 2009 too though, and I ended up competing at 10 or 11 games. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic