Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: S. Gray

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: S. Gray
    Posted: 9/09/11 at 2:04am
Squat: worked to a new PR of 625
Bench: attempted a new PR of 410 but gave out
Deadlift: surprised myself with a new PR of 465
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/11 at 2:07am
Made a makeshift implement out of two 25lbs plates, some chain, and a Dee Ring to practice throwing...works really well

Only have a 16lbs and 8 lbs sledgehammer to practice hammer swings and throws

I have several large river rocks to practice putting
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/11 at 2:48am
I have been training on Saturdays for the past 2 years with a great training partner who is in the 198 weight class for powerlifting.  He competes at the nationals and worlds and has been training for approx. 10 years.  I initially began just helping him out as was more or less not interested since I had several HS football injuries that (I thought) prevented me from lifting big weight.  I could barely bench more than 240 and what I thought was a squat was around 300.  I didn't even touch the deadlift anymore.  But with persistence and encouragement he not only got me lifting but I am lifting more now than I ever imagined I could.

In less than 2 years I was wide-stance parallel squatting in the low 600s with just knee sleeves and the "z" suit which is a little thicker than underarmour briefs.

I have been interested in the Highland Games for nearly 10 years and now that I have established a foundation of strength I am beginning to start working on the throws in a local field with makeshift implements now.  I am also hoping to find some guys in my area interested in throwing and lifting as well. 
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/11 at 11:47pm
S. Gray, congrats on the BIG lifts!!
Where do you live at and what games are you planning on attending?
Stay with the training and keep posting your workouts.
B. Gray
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/11 at 9:21am
I live in the Metro-Detroit area.  I know that there are some games that take place around here, I am just not sure who to get in touch with except for maybe the Detroit St. Andrew society which I am going to shortly.

Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/11 at 9:29am
Squat really, REALLY sucked today.  After some warm-ups sets I was struggling with 400.  My back kept getting knotted up and torqued my hips into a strange position that was just hard to get out of. 

Bench press went a little better than last week, ascended to 365.  Left shoulder started to lag and without a side spotter, I dropped to 315 and did two sets repping out.

Deadlift was again interesting.  Last week I hit a PR of 465 and thought that I would just do some nominal sets since my back was sore from the squat.  Oddly enough, I just kept getting more and more flexible and was feeling good, so I went for another PR and hit 470. Dropped to 315 afterward from 1" deficit and brought my legs real close and worked on getting that tightness out of my back.

Hot Room, Sauna, and Hot Tub for about 15 min each afterward.

Flexibility and mobility this evening before bed.

Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/11 at 5:19am
Got restless last night and instead of resting I spent some time on the neck harness, biceps, and sledgehammer swings.

Neck harness:  5x20 #30

Biceps: EZ curl bar alternating 15 curls with 15 reverse curls

Sledgehammer #16 work of a hybrid cross body hammer curl with a wrist snap releasing to other hand and going into a shoulder lateral lift. 

50 reps each arm.

Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/11 at 10:49am
Monday, I did hip snatch as well as clean and jerks.
I also did some dips and assisted pull-ups..50 reps each.

I am trying to figure out a good routine for snatch and cleans but instead of trying to find the right one I am just going to have to figure it out myself.

Feeling like crap with this head cold but still going to bust some arse.

TONIGHT:  Front Squat, Leg Curls, Calves, Power Curls and Cardio
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/11 at 10:53am
Yesterday's Front Squats, Leg Curls, Calves, Power Curls and Cardio went worse than expected.  What I thought was a cold turned out to be horrible allergies and just got worse as the night progressed.  I am glad though that I got some movement in since I haven't front squatted since my ankle injury which was last November AND this was the first time I ever did the Power Curl, which was one of the best moves I have ever done...boy, did I ever get the gym look like I had no clue what I was doing.

Today I am getting some lifting straps.  I have been doing shrugs for a long time but once I get to doing sets with #315, my grip usually give out.  I tried a friend's the other day and was pushing nearly #600.

Today, I am doing barbell shrugs and dumbbell rows and am going to start going for higher reps. 
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/11 at 4:00pm
Left Ankle is more tender than usual.  I thought that by now most of the post-op/therapy and nearly three months of work and lifting would have taken care of it by now but it still throbs and stings from time to time.

Right Knee is sore I think from rotational training on cable machine when I was to stiff in the beginning and wasn't articulating my joints through the movement.

Tomorrow, back to using CAT on Squat and Bench for triples.  The bands and chains just add a level of soreness that just cannot be replicated anyway else.

I am also in limbo trying to figure out if what I do on Saturdays should stay the same or be altered a bit.  Though I train with a powerlifter who goes to both Nationals and Worlds and I usually follow his template so to speak, I am thinking about switching over to a 3rep PR rather than a 1rep.  I will have to think about this more because I am doing great and my strength is constantly improving...I AM A SLOW LIFTER!! 

Getting into Highland Games which is the direction I am heading in, all I have read and listened to deals with being as FAST as possible in a given movement.  I know that with dropping bar weight and adding either a band or chain my speed is much better. 

We have been doing REverse bands for a while and I am just now getting into the groove with the DL variation.  My REverse band squat is 730 parallel and the Bench is about 500 touch and Go..no pause.  With reverse band the concept of CAT is utilized except that the Bar weight is what's being manipulated via bands retaining the weight of bar with a stretched load which assists the explosive concentric phase which must be carried through especially if you don't want to dump the weight. 

Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/11 at 7:22am
Finally a break in the sinuses which led to feeling better lifting.

Going heavy and making PRs on the DL had me today going light/moderate on all lifts just to give the CNS and joints a nice break since I am not used to hitting a squat and two deadlift PRs in three consecutive weeks. 

Squat:  ascended to 500 with triples and a single at 575
Bench: ascended to only 315 with triples
DL: ascended to 315 with triples

Focused on exploding as hard as I could esp on squat and bench with the DL being just for blood flow and stretching.

Was going to focus on CAT today but after talking with my training partner we decided to begin right after we come back from Latvia for the WPC worlds.  This will help keep us focused on alternating every other week doing Heavy one week and back off another as well as really setting up for some solid #s at the competition for him and for hitting a 650 on squat for me in Nov.
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/11 at 1:16pm
9/20/11

Power Snatches, Pwr Cleans Press, and Standing Jerks

PwrSnatch: worked on using broom stick and bar for about 15 mins...still getting use to the movement.  Worked on triples once I started adding weight.  Worked up to 125 from bar with 5 lbs increments.

ClnPress:  worked with broom stick and bar for about 5 min again still getting use to the movement.  Worked on triples up to 155 from the bar with 10 lbs increments.

Standing behind neck Jerks:  Experimenting to see if I like the movement.  Used the PusPad to keep from slamming on my neck.
Worked on triples up to 225 lbs from 100 with 10 lbs increments.

This was quite a bit of volume but with low reps and very small jumps, I found that I maintained very good form.  This week really helped establish a base for these three lifts for me to work off of in the future with tweeks here and there esp. as I learn and watch more.

Incline hammer press: From 50-270 with sets of 3 and 5

Rope Cable Curl from 30-150-30 with sets of 7-10
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/11 at 1:25pm
Squat 630
Bench 380
DL 225

Worked on a new PR on Squat of 630lbs. Went down and up slower than I would have liked but breaking the 625 mark has been a huge psychological boost removing that mental barrier. According to marks on the rack, I cut it just shy of parallel so I watched video over and over and realized I did not have my stomach full of air like I usually do. 

Only singled up to 380lbs on the bench then switched over to reverse bands and doubled up to 450lbs.  With only one spotter today decided to leave it there and save 500+ for another day.

Deadlift:  SUCKED....warmed up and could barely pull 225 from the floor.  Went back to warm up weight (135) and did 10 sets of 5.  I then went sumo stance since back was still tight and did three sets of 225 for triples. 
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/11 at 2:54pm
October 1st:

Squat went really bad today got up to about 400 and couldn't even go down...my low back was extremely tight.

Bench Press was like it has been for a while...stagnant in the low 3's

Deadlift went well though as I did sets of 5 singles making sure they were dead deadlifts with no bounce with the top set at 365.

My training partner and I are going to Monster Garage Gym in Illinois to train this weekend.  Preparing for Worlds he want to get some solid feed back along with at least one more time in an intense environment before November's WPC in Latvia.

My Plan is to Squat 650, Bench 415, and Deadlift 475
Morthain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morthain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/11 at 11:58am
I went to MGG this weekend and did 650.2 on the Squat and had the best training session ever.  Though I did not put up what I had planned for on the bench and DL, the whole experience along with the best squat ever was well worth the time and money.  I attempted 661 but failed at the bottom, which is fine because I was really wanting to push myself to the limit since there were plenty of spotters and I was super jacked.  The 650 only felt like 300 on my back I was so excited.  Now it is time to really see what all this is going to offer me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic