Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Andrew Akins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/13 at 9:24am
5/6/13

OHP 1x5x175, 1x5x90, 1x3x110, 1x5x120, 1x5x140, 1x5x155
Lat pulls = a lot
Front squats 3x10x160
easy conditioning

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
Andrew Akins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/13 at 9:36am
5/8/13

Easy quick stones.
Hammer winds, no release. Working on mental cues.

BB and BW complexes.

5/9/13

Hammers - less than 15 throws, all 3 wind. Great breakthrough. Very pleased with the progress on this. A couple more sessions before Victoria maybe I'll break 100'. I hope...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/13 at 1:44pm
Triple digits in Victoria - that would be awesome!   Wishin' you the best!
Watch for falling rocks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/13 at 9:30am
5/10/13
DL 1x5x160, 1x5x200, 1x3x240, 1x5x260, 1x5x300, 1x5x340
Front squats 5x5x160
ab roller

Not much chance ot throw over the weekend. Threw a few times though, nothing big, just going through the motions.

5/13/13
Lt Hammer x 15   All 3 wind. All consistant and farther than I've been throwing with 2 wind, had one at about 95' uphill. Worked on the mental cues. Feeling good about hammers.

5/14/13
Easy session
OHP, lat pulls and a few pull ups.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/22/13 at 10:12am
5/19/13
Victoria Highland games.
First off, what an outstanding event, well run and attended. Shout out to Ray Siochowicz, Carl Jensen and everyone else that helped them for putting on such a great games. Cant wait for next year.

Hammers were ok. Nobody was throwing particurly well though.
HH 74'6" 3rd - this was within 1.5' of PR first event of the day, I'm ok with that
LH 90'5" 3rd - wanted more.
WOB 14' 3rd - Surprised myself on this. only 2nd time hitting 14'
Br 23'9" - this was like throwing a head, a big heavy head with no handle.
OS 32'8" - failed at spin, went to glide to try and get a decent mark
HWD 34' - First throw was garbage, 2nd throw lost out the side and took a tumble, Took the 3rd easy to get a decent mark. 9" off PR
LWD 47'6.5" - 1st throw was meh, 2nd and 3rd were great distance, easily over 50. Too bad I fouled both.
Caber - 11:45 - got all 3 turns. Thrilled with this since I only turned 1 all last year
Tied for 4th overall.
Know what I need to work on for B'ham

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/13 at 9:17am

Have done three easy sessions since Victoria. Nothing big, upper, lower, upper with some conditioning for good measure. If the weather cooperates (total garbage all weekend) I'll get some throwing in today or tomorrow. Otherwise I'm looking forward to Bellingham this weekend and will try to make the clinic on Friday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/30/13 at 9:15am

5/29/13

No throwing since its been raining since Saturday evening. Bleh

BB and BW complexes. thats it. I feel good and even though I've not been throwing, I feel ready for B'Ham.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/03/13 at 9:19am

B'Ham games

Awesome job by Bret and Jay putting this event on. Everything was smooth, well run and enjoyed by everyone.

HWD 34'1" - 3rd  throw, no fouls today, good for me. I need to relax more. It always goes farther.
LWD 50'1.5" - Happy that I'm back over 50'. Need to relax more.
Br. 27'5.5 - Close to PR. Felt allright
Open St  34' 7.5" PR  2nd - I have abandoned the spin and will only glide. 2nd and 3rd throws were PRs
LH 91'11" 3rd - This is feeling better. Got some great help at the clinic on Friday by Ryan. Need to work on the release as I still have T-Rex arms.
WOB 14' 2nd - No misses till 15'. Came much closer to 15' hitting the bar twice. More legs.
Sheaf 20' - Need to make a 16# bag to practice with.
Caber meh - No turn

4th overall in some great competition. 3 weeks til BC 
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/03/13 at 1:12pm
Nice work, Andrew!
Watch for falling rocks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/13 at 9:06am

Thanks Greg. still lots of work to do though. I really want my hammer numbers to come up and got some great tips and ideas from Ryan Stewart. Should be throwing tonight, weights and hammer.

5/4/13

OHP 1x5x75, 1x5x90, 1x3x115, 1x5x125, 1x5x140, 1x5x160

Squats 3x10x160
Lat pulldowns - a bunch, wasnt really paying attention, felt good though
Lots of stretching

bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/13 at 11:27am
Good throwin buddy!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/13 at 9:07am
Thanks Jay. Great job by you and Bret at B'ham. I'm gunnin for ya though. I'll be ready for ya at Skagit!

6/6/13
HWD  x20 throws - 70-80%
New grip is working out well, no problems taking that many throws. Worked on hitting positions and the finish. Hopefully hammers tonight or tomorrow morning.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/13 at 9:40am

Ummm, I've been doing... stuff. No really.

Been throwing every other day, 15 to 30 min, one event per day. Nothing hard, no full effort, just hitting positions and being consistant.  Havent been able to lift much as the shop is trashed. The by-product of my daughter coming home for the summer break. But I have done some BW work. I have been mowing excessively and went Mt biking.

In all, I feel good, strong and ready for BC this weekend.
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/13 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Andrew Akins Andrew Akins wrote:

Thanks Jay. Great job by you and Bret at B'ham. I'm gunnin for ya though. I'll be ready for ya at Skagit!

Uh-oh.  

Getting kinda heated amongst the old growth here in the Northwet.   

People throwing all kinds of better this year.
Watch for falling rocks!
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/13 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Andrew Akins Andrew Akins wrote:

In all, I feel good, strong and ready for BC this weekend.

You go, Andrew!
Watch for falling rocks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/13 at 12:23pm
6/22/13
BC Provincial Games.
Good weekend in Coquitlam. Karyn and Wade did an outstanding job with the games.
Weather was muggy all day and I never seemed to get everything firing on all cylinders.

Br.  24' 1.5" - should have got more.
OS  33' 2.5" - better than Br but i felt like 34' was there.
HH  70' 11" - Meh. Know I can do better. having trouble getting blades in and then kinda rushed the throw.
LH  90' 7" 3rd - Still hitting over 90' consistantly so I'm pleased with this. Still trouble with blades though.
HWD 34'3" / LWD 51'3.5" - Still getting over 34'/50' and I feel the form is improving on this.
WOB 13" -  Starting to feel gassed and couldn't get 14'
Caber - The suck. Same stick in Victoria and I couldn't get a single turn. I was pretty wiped out though.
Sheaf (20#)  18" - Same as WOB
4th overall on the day. I'll take it. There was some outstanding throwers on the field and as always I learned some new things.

bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/13 at 1:09pm
4th in that group is a Win...lol!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
  Share Topic