Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Myles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Myles
    Posted: 10/05/11 at 9:32am
This is my first post on my new thread on my training.  To state the obvious.  I am 51 years old, have been lifting weights for 34 years now.  I study the subject a lot, speaking with some people on this board every day on training.  I read and watch video every week.  I just completed two six week cycles of what I would call Gallagher type training working explosiveness and speed.  The first six weeks of this training was great, it let me practice throwing and I felt fabulous.  The second six weeks I seemed to loose overall power and my throws fell off.  I was not working with John and did not have all of his wisdom helping with that so don't use me as an example of that training.I am now into my German Volume training.  My plan for the off season has three cycles, the first is the German Volume.  The second will be a power phase and then a speed phase.  The first is for hypertrophy.  Now I am part German and have never used this program in all of those years of training, so I am going to try it.  I did legs Monday and I am scorched.  I have what is called a low ejection fraction.  My heart does not squeeze enough and as a result I am low on the blood flow.  So in the German work I am only doing 6 reps for the squat so I don't pass out.  I am going to try and work up with this and increase my work load.  I am also on Alpha and Beta blockers to make my heart stronger, they keep it from ever amping up.  So that is a little hurdle.  I have had surgeries on about every part of my body, or I have broke the bone there.  Just more hurdles.  I think I am really healthy and ready right now.  I enjoy training, I love training.  It is therapy for me and my head.  I have issues from being a very very thin guy growing up, graduated high school at 120 pounds and over 6 feet tall.  Big issues man.  So here I am with my first post and I will be back later or in the AM with what happened in the gym tonight.  I train at the YMCA on Bear Bryant Blvd in Tuscaloosa, Alabama if anyone wants to come by.  We can go for sweet tea and BBQ after.  The goal here is to get back to something I resembled a couple years ago.  I had a real tough knee injury, torn quad tendon and they had to do a quad bypass and work on my heart also.  Was a bad week.  But I am alive, lifting and throwing again.  I am slow and weak.  I don't know if 51 is the optimum age of regaining power and speed, but the problem is, that is how old I am.  So that is what I have to work with.  I have come back and pulled 12 plates and squatted 10.  So decent.  So here is my quest.  Please help me in any way you can.  Thank you brothers. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/11 at 11:42am
I went to the Y tonight, nice crowd.  Did a couple min of bike riding to get a little warm and then did some static stretching for the legs and lower.  I like to static stretch the workout after legs.  Tonight will do mobility stretching and PVC rolling.  I then did 10 sets of 10 on incline.  Only had 135 on the bar and used 90 seconds rest.  Got harder as the sets wore on and had to use a longer rest going to 120 seconds the last couple of sets.  I have gotten back up to a 355 incline since the open heart gig, so the number I used to start here was very conservative.  I have a defibulator in my chest, it sticks up so I have to watch out for that a little on my incline.  Can't be sloppy and screw up the ipod.  Then did 3 sets of side laterals to failure and three sets of push downs to failure and I was done.  Home for a protein shake in less than 25 minutes.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/11 at 12:09pm
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:06pm
I'm very much looking forward to this log. Thanks for starting it.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:13pm
This is going to be cool!
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:18pm
Yes, going to enjoy reading this one.  Good to have you posting, my friend.  
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/11 at 1:24pm
Tasty!
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/11 at 12:25am
Did my mobility stretching last night and PVC rolling.  I am so sore from Monday leg day it is crazy. 

Right now supplement wise I am doing Protein, I do some branched chain aminos, Flaxseed oil caps twice a day, fish oil caps twice a day, multi twice a day, niacin twice a day, alpha lipoic acid once a day,  and some C.  I am doing a Alpha blocker, beta blocker, 81 asprin, Zetia for cholesterol.  The idea of the niacin is also a natural statin also.  They have found I have real high cholesterol from nature.  That is the reason I had a ham biscuit caught in my aorta. 

I am not sure about my recovery with this new type of training.  I am only doing the 10 sets on front squat and incline.  I have only front squatted twice now since all my operations.  It is hard to keep the bar off the fib. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/11 at 10:10am
Yeah, keep a lid on that cholesterol.

I'm gonna be watching this one!
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/11 at 11:31am
I have had problems with the other statins, this one works on the cholesterol from the intestine, Zetia.  I have tolerated this now for a couple of months.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/11 at 12:02pm
Welcome to the training log club Myles! I look forward to reading your entries for inspiration in my training.

MM
Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/11 at 12:49am
Thanks Robin, but not sure anyone wants to take my path.  I just am not smart enough to quit.

Did a lot of mobility last night and a lot of PVC rolling.  Body feels much better today.  Doctor called with the lab results and likes what is going on and to keep this direction.  So that is good news for me. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/11 at 1:02am
Went to the gym last night and did some cardio.  Baab has me doing this 15 seconds wide open and then 15 seconds coasting on the bike.  It does work.  I made it a few minutes that way.  Then had a nice stretch session and got some TKE work in.  My legs felt much better.  Did my cuff work and some abs, the got some bicep in there.  Just did a few sets of concentration curls.  This will be one of the first weekends I am not going to practice throwing, just rest.  Have a cold on me right now.  3 kids will bring that gift home from school.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/11 at 5:49am
Cardio?  WTF?
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/11 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

It does work.

Works for what?
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/11 at 8:30am
Myles' most important muscle is IN his chest- it is a tolerable type of getting his heart pumping and moving his leg muscles fast w.out a load.

It has nothing to do w.lifting or throwing - 50+ 10 inch scar on chest GPP.

It appeals to him,so he will do it more often.

What's the best exercise?
The one you'll do .
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/11 at 9:37am
Work the heart = good.

I'm honestly surprised he let you have him do the more calorie consuming interval training, as opposed to going for a walk a few times per week (which is what I try to do, btw). 
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/11 at 10:50am

Interval stuff takes less time, is more effective and is tons more fun. And Myles? This:

Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

I am 51 years old, have been lifting weights for 34 years now.  I study the subject a lot, speaking with some people on this board every day on training. 

is badass.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/11 at 11:41am
I never said it didn't take more time, or that it wasn't "more fun". 

Can you show me a study that says it's more effective solely for heart/cardiovascular health, since that was the lone stated reason he is doing it?

I absolutely agree that it's more effective for burning calories over traditional forms of cardio. 
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:03am

I'll get right on that research, Craigor :)

I guess I just never consider walking exercise. A way to relax? A decent thing to do while killing time talking? Getting from 'A' to 'B'? Sure. But exercise? Does not compute unless you're walking up the side of a mountain.

And isn't anything above 85% of max HR cardiovascular work?

Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:18am
OK, the world knows I hate cardio.  Hate it, hate it.  It just is not close enough to the edge.  But just looking to get my heart rate up some and make it work.  Is walking a long time for a stroll better?  I don't know, but at least I did something in this arena.  Yea, Mike got me to do those, I listen to him some as we are 12 days apart in age and he does not have a scar down the middle of his chest.  I don't think my heart ever ramps up now anyway with the beta and alpha blockers.  It sure made me breath harder and sweat.  I had to run to the rack and do some curls to get a pump right after and get my mind right.  Friggin bike.  C, how far do you walk when you go for one?  I might try that out.  Sean, I love mass, it is what I have pushed for now for 34 years.  It is a lifestyle, a way of life, how you train, eat and think.  And contrary to anything my heart doctor thinks.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

I'll get right on that research, Craigor :)

I guess I just never consider walking exercise. A way to relax? A decent thing to do while killing time talking? Getting from 'A' to 'B'? Sure. But exercise? Does not compute unless you're walking up the side of a mountain.

And isn't anything above 85% of max HR cardiovascular work?

I figured you would, lol.  All the research I've seen indicates that interval training can be just as effective for cardiovascular health as traditional sustained aerobic activity.  So no argument from me there, they can be/are equal for that.   

Anything that raises the HR at all is cardiovascular work, but the THR is usually 60-85%.  So then we could discuss the theoretical THR, and how X amount of time at 60% would = X amount of time at 85%.  But I digress...

Interval training definitely is more calorie consuming, so for someone, like myself, who is trying to hold onto every calorie they consume to gain or at least not lose weight, instead of the 5 minutes of interval training, I'll just go on a 20-30 minute walk (brisk walk, if you will) and we'll both walk away with equal cardiovascular benefit. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/11 at 3:24am
I go 20-30 minutes, which is usually near 2 miles.  
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/11 at 8:33am
Proud of you Myles...  and thanks Mike B.  I've been hittin' the conditioning pretty hard now for 2weeks and I have noticed huge changes in my breathing and sleep.  i actually think i hit phase 4 sleep last night!! 
Im starting to tweak the Nutrition in also.  Im going to eliminate wheat and gluten.  I have noticed that all it does is bloat me and effect my sinuses..  So on with the oats, sweeties and brown rice!!  I have increased the protien to make up for the decrease in startch.  I will weigh in tomm.
Went to a Nutrition seminar yesterday and this Doc in Houston presented many cases of just getting people off nasty startches, lowered there Cholesterol in 5 days, over the course of a couple months these people lean out and MAINTAIN all muscle mass.
So assuming im 15% at 300 thats 45lbs of nasty ass fat, drop down to 10% now im at 285, which is not small.  Will I be faster? Will I be as strong? Will I be more flexible? Will I be more fit?
I believe yes to all answers ..
Im on a quest fellows...  Besides Im tired of this massive thing hanging off me called a stomach..
Sorry for the high jack Myles but you got me excited...  Bigger and better things to come from all of us..  looking forward to you coming out to train!!
G
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/11 at 8:41am
Geno, I am always appreciative of you and your information.  Thank you.  Are there 40 foot towers out there?  Cause your going to need them.  Will this change in diet clean up the tailpipe emissions?  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/11 at 9:54am
ha ha..  I have found that wheat was causing the bloating and emissions...
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/11 at 1:19am
I did nothing last night.  I just felt terrible.  If there is a glaring weakness, it is I am so schedule driven.  So even though I felt terrible, I got dressed and ready.  I got in the truck and drove part way there.  Was in full sweat just driving and it was not hot.  I turned around and came home.  Major progress for me.  I feel much better today.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/11 at 11:10am
Trying to make the heart and knee or leg so to speak get stronger.  Did 10 sets of 7 this week front squatting 155.  Easy weight, but after the 4th set I just can't recover.  Using 120 seconds between sets this week.  Was tough for me to get through this but did the 10 sets.  Kind of feel like pussy for this light weight to be just kicking me, but it is.  I was going to pull heavy after and I went to 315 but could not control my legs to the point of not being safe so I did not go on up.  So went over and did three sets of one leg curls to failure at 18, 12 and 8 reps.  Sat for a while and got it together to walk out to the truck.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/11 at 1:21am
PVC rolling and mobility stretching last night.  Sore sore sore. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/11 at 11:47am
Rode the bike a few minutes to warm up and then stretched a while on the legs.  They are sore.  Did some cuff warm up and then 10 x 10 on the incline.  Side laterals x 3 sets, push downs 3 sets, standing curls 3 sets and home.  Feel pretty decent, but sore.  I am just not a hundred rep guy, not close enough to the edge, but I am doing it. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
  Share Topic