FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Big Daddy O'Neill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/12 at 3:39am

Log catch up....

Im doin Matt Vincents program and loving it!

In the 4th week of current block

5 x 5 Squats and Bench
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/12 at 12:37pm
Monday Squats 12 x 3@  420# 
Front squats 225 x 5/275 x 3/315x3

Bench12x 3 @ 300 pounds
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/12 at 12:40pm
Tuesday WOB and Sheaf   12 reps @ 12 -14 feet @42 #
Sheaf No swing x 10 to 20 feet
5 reps with swing 20 plus   
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/12 at 12:41pm
Wednesday OHP
12 x 3 @ 224
deads 12 x 3 @385
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/12 at 12:48pm
Is that your 60%?  Because those are my maxes.

I intend to make you pay for this continual emasculation.

By increasing my max to your 65%.

Watch for falling rocks!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/12 at 7:30am
LOL! Sorry Greg... you can beat me up on Sunday!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/12 at 5:27am

Saturday Hit fast session just get blood in muscles, had to get something done today. Close Grip Benches and tricep push downs... CG Bench up to 405 x 2

Sunday Big throw session with guys from Seattle

Hit Stones /weighs and WOB. Huge Caber, broke it. then 85 degress after repair. Sheaf session was best of the day. all else was meh....

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/12 at 4:45am

Monday

Squats and Bench ala Matt Vincent program.

Squats 3 warmups 135/225/ 315 

Work sets 8 x 2 @ 420

bench warmup 135/225/

work sets:

8 x 2 @310

Hammer winds 10 sets

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Greg York View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg York Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/12 at 7:18am
Geez, Jay.   You're an beast!  

I thought I was gonna die Sunday night.  Had to rest all of Monday, and it was all I could do today to roll and stretch.  You're a better man than I am for being able to keep to the routine!
Watch for falling rocks!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/12 at 8:28am
I have to be honest, I was pretty stoved up Monday. Squats always loosen me up for some reason. By the end of the session I was good as new!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/12 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by bigirish01 bigirish01 wrote:

Monday

Squats and Bench ala Matt Vincent program.

Squats 3 warmups 135/225/ 315 

Work sets 8 x 2 @ 420

bench warmup 135/225/

work sets:

8 x 2 @310

Hammer winds 10 sets

Nice work Jay, so you are liking Matt's program eh.  I think after Victoria I will be starting into that.
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/12 at 4:46am
I really do like it. Its very simple and takes very little time. Its intense but it works well!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/12 at 3:36am
Throws!
Sucked.... Got all set up on edge of baseball field and at 6 sharp, all the goddamn baseball kids and their MILF-Hunting and Pedifile coaches showed up.
So I got 10 throws on the LWFD before I packed it up.
I guess something is better then nothing
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/12 at 9:33am

Throws!
Sucked.... Got all set up on edge of baseball field and at 6 sharp, all the goddamn baseball kids and their MILF-Hunting and Pedifile coaches showed up.
So I got 10 throws on the LWFD before I packed it up.
I guess something is better then nothing

I have the same problem with Little League baseball at the park I go to throw. I never really liked baseball to begin with and now they are giving me even more reason to hate the sport.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/12 at 11:39am
Big Jay, you gettin' ready..

"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/12 at 1:51am

Yes sir! I have Monster World Champion World Record holder in my class... ring any bells Geno? LOL

Im really lookin forward to taking the field with you!

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/12 at 2:38am
Gonna be a great time Jay.  Looking forward to meeting you..  Forgot you were in my class..lol  We do have some big ass dudes in our class..

Gene Flynn
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/12 at 4:43am

May 5, 2012

Training with Brett and Stephanie.

Weight over bar.Sheaf toss numerous attempts. Hammer throw and caber with some Newbies we are training for Bellingham Games.

May 6, 2012

Training with Angie.

Braemer stone Hitting positions and then threw PR average 28'6' - 29'6". Good day for throwing.

Lwfd. sINGLE TURNS OUT TO pr OF 48'- 49'

Double turns all throws Over 50 and 51... good day trying to hit my positions and mental ques.

Hammer 16pound, numerous throws, no PRs but used some new techniques and tweeked them a bit.

Great day becaue I was training with Angie all day and getting her ready for her first competition in Victoria, BC in 2 weeks!

Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/12 at 2:34am
8May 12
Squats and Bench per Matt V. Program.
Back is tweeked from 2 days in a row of throws.  but Squats always make it better
6 sets of 1 at 75%  (450)
Fell good.... I was a little tentative but after it was done I felt great.

Bench
6 sets of 1 at 75% (335)
hard to get good position on bench.... did a slow descent and explosive Push.
Tricep push downs....
 threw foot ball to the kiddos...
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/12 at 10:42am
Ok, Im back.... done slackin on my log....
I realized that the reason my hammers and weights are all down this season, is simple...I havent trained them enough.... My Caber and Sheaf are my strong suit and thats probably due to my off season strength training. So back to basics.... THROW MORE...LIFT less...Lift like a thrower!
15jun
SO....Friday was just LWFD 8 singles and 6 fulls. meh....

16jun Lifting...squats and bench 3 x 5 at 60%  felt good!
WFH (42)pulls  8-10 praciticing follow through
Sheaf pulls from ground flew off fork.... 8-10 throws. then 6 fulls practiced full follow throw like Gene Flynn does on his 36' throw.... BAG FLEW!!!! may have to work on this!

17 jun training with Angie and Steph Lathrop
Braemer x 6
HWFD (42) 2 singles and 4 fulls
LWFD 3 singles and 8 fulls... I cant get my left foot down to engage after my first turn....it just grazes the turf and I cant plant it fro some reason... any ideas? anyone?
throws were meh....
Hammer 16pound.... 8-10 throws....  meh.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/12 at 10:50am
Tuesday 19 Jun
Hammer 16 pound  3 1 wind releases... best of 75'
did approx 18 to 20 throws. hit 88 feet which for me in practice is good considering my hammer is way down. tried the dynamic start ala Matt Vincent.... i like the way it gets me to pull on hammer harder initially.

LWFD about 4 single turns and 6 fulls....meh   tired from hammer.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/12 at 1:00pm
I do a few sheaf pulls from the ground every couple of workouts. It really pounds home the point of using the legs!  I gotta thank Bill Gray for getting me to do that.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/12 at 1:25pm

I cant get my left foot down to engage after my first turn....it just grazes the turf and I cant plant it fro some reason... any ideas? anyone?

after you land that first turn, you should be immediately shifting your weight forward. Think about loading up your left leg to the extent that you're actually pushing off of it for your sprint. That might help.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/12 at 2:43pm
Thanks Jake... I will definately work on it in practice and my games Saturday!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/03/12 at 12:56pm
Throwvaganza on Jun 30
About 12 throwers at practice.
Lots of open stone and LWFD work for form and technique.
Hit PR Open stone with 35 feet on a shuffle.... gonna stick with this.
HWFD 42 5 throws within 3 feet of PR.
LWFD throw and video analysis with Greg York! Awesome... really got a lokk at what I was doing and how I can improve! Very Happy with session!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/19/12 at 10:19am
Skagit Highland Games this last weekend.... Highlights: Took 2nd to my Idol Brett Milton. Tied him in Braemer 26'9" (25#Stone)  PR with that size stone, tied for 1st. BEat Brett in WOB on count back and he was not aloowed to spin! lol 
Sheaf ...Last man standing at 24'  took Throw to tie PR at 26 feet...out of gas. I need to start comin in later. Im wasting good throws at low heights. At 20' the bag went at least 7 feet over the bar.
LWFD finally hit 50+ throw.  Hammer was better then last few games for sure... I need to hit 90 and be consistant with that, before Pleasanton. Caber was ok, only Brett and I turned it in our class. We shared stick with A class and only 2 turned it there as well. Brett and I were all all tied up with a 12:00 on first pull. Next pull I hit a weird bounce and it went over with a 930... done at that point. Bret is a legend in caber and hit 12:00 and 12:30. I hit an 11:30 on last Throw. Could have been epic... I knew I would need 3  12's to even consider beating him. Good match!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/19/12 at 10:23am
Rested for the week ala Gene Flynn advice. NO WEIGHTS THIS WEEK Cry
Gearin up for Portland this weekend. Took a few throws to keep footwork fresh.
1 turn with 42 WFD
3 pulls full spins best over 30... just staying slow and moving through positions
4 pulls with 28... hit 2 over 50' with minimal effort... shut it down
4 throws with light hammer.
Rest and Ice and Ibu and stretching an drolling til Saturday Morning .... Portland, Baby!!!!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/12 at 11:01am
Aww you having weight withdraw..  Meathead!!  Oh yeah I am too-lol !!  Kick some arse this wknd..  Stay long and loose!!
HOORAH

Gene Flynn
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/12 at 11:34am
see ya tomorrow Jay - will be a nice battle I think :)
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/12 at 4:31am
GET IT DONE!!!
The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic