FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

PERFECT HAIR FOREVER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 9:34pm
My last hammer handle broke during warm-ups, so I switched to sheaf practice. 25-26 is getting pretty automatic. 28 is in reach.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 7:36am
What are you using for standards, Mike? And that 25-26 is 20#? Sheaf has to be a major focus for me this year. I'm tired of giving away that many points. Any tips/tricks/magical advices?
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:23am
Mike, if I talk sweet to you, could I get raw footage of that 44' HW of Dunc's? That's a gorgeous angle.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:45am
NOBODY wants to see that.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 9:09am
I know I'm nobody, Dunc. It just seems rude to point it out ;)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 9:33am
GDAMMIT SEAN!

You know I can't quit you!

I think I have it on my cell; Mike is always good about catching people's best throws and playing "Real American" as loud as an iPhone can when the situation calls for it. 

All that being said, it was a lucky shot...not sure you will learn much from it.
The man in the arena.
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 9:33am
Boom. Self burn. Sean, PM me your digits, boo. ;)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 3:29pm
I am 8 lb. up since my last comp, and I haven't touched a barbell in over 10 days. I threw stones and weights today. Stones were a hot mess, so I moved on since both weights need way more work.

I've been trying to transform my WFD style, and I think the dividends are starting to come. I haven't tried throwing thiis new way in competition yet, simply because of the potential for disaster. In short, I've been watching and kinda imitating throwers closer to my size. There are some timing issues and force application cues that are unique to those of us who aren't monstrously big and strong. In my opinion, they differ between HWFD and LWFD as well. I made some big strides in speeding up the implement at the right times today, but getting my body to respond and sprint at the right time is still challenging. Today was all range throwing, but a few LWFD snuck out to 63-64.

Ice on the knee, food in the belly.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 3:50pm
I am intrigued, Mike. I'm kind of in the same spot right now. I need that sprint but it's dodging me right now.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 5:54pm
Yep, this is interesting to me too, can you elaborate on what specifically you're working with the weights? And maybe link some of the vids you mentioned? 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 4:42pm
Switching gears to speed work since I'm in the middle of early season.

Squat
45x5
135x5
185x3
205x3
225x3x6
225x5 paused

OHP
135x3
165x3x8
165x5

Superset Chins/Dips
10/15, 10/15, 7/10

Concentration Curls
28x12x3 - Yes, this is exactly what you think it is.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Mike Beech Mike Beech wrote:

Concentration Curls
28x12x3 - Yes, this is exactly what you think it is.

You mean awesome?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

I am intrigued, Mike. I'm kind of in the same spot right now. I need that sprint but it's dodging me right now.

Originally posted by eclarkhb eclarkhb wrote:

Yep, this is interesting to me too, can you elaborate on what specifically you're working with the weights? And maybe link some of the vids you mentioned? 

Specifically I am focusing on speeding up the implement throughout the whole throw. Whenever the weight is moving toward a low point (behind me, basically) I am trying to "work" the weight and accelerate it there. I have been watching a lot of Odden's videos and some Matt Doherty and Bro-zina here and there. What I have noticed is that relatively smaller guys have to really add a lot of work during the cast and first turn instead of casting gently and then sprinting balls out.

With the 56, I feel like I have to be a lot more stable, rigid and aggressive to achieve the positions I need to create that acceleration. I have seen progress from doing that, and speeding up the implement has been enough to get PRs.

With the 28 though, I have to work on getting my feet and body to catch up with the implement now that I am adding speed to it throughout. My feet look very quick on the first turn, but my sprint is mis-timed and slow. It feels like I need to "fire" my muscles to sprint at the exact moment I add force to the weight, and that will get me to the front quickly. That's what I'm working on now.

On both weights, I am also finishing too high, and this is oddly related to not turning my right foot. If I can pre turn, it give me a split second more time before I have to land, thus allowing me to get a little lower and do that final "work" on the weight and explode up to finish.

Or something.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 11:52am

"With the 28 though, I have to work on getting my feet and body to catch up with the implement now that I am adding speed to it throughout. My feet look very quick on the first turn, but my sprint is mis-timed and slow. It feels like I need to "fire" my muscles to sprint at the exact moment I add force to the weight, and that will get me to the front quickly. That's what I'm working on now."

FWIW...I have some ideas.

1.  "I have to work on getting my feet and body to catch up with the implement now that I am adding speed to it throughout."  My understanding is your body should ALWAYS be in front of the implement.  I have found, in my limited experience, that if I can get my body to the trig first the throw usually takes care of itself.

2.  "My feet look very quick on the first turn, but my sprint is mis-timed and slow."  Know why that is?  Because this: "It feels like I need to "fire" my muscles to sprint at the exact moment I add force to the weight, and that will get me to the front quickly."  One of a few things are going to happen here...first, you'll hit it just right and BOOM goes the dynamite.  Or, you will completely mis-time this and end up over-accelerating and fouling.  Or, even worse, you'll end up at the trig with the implement WAYYYYYYYYYYY in front of you thereby killing whatever final push/pull and lift you had planned.

You are stupid fast.  Stupid.  Proved that at San Antonio.  Get your body moving quickly so you can get to the trig in a hurry and then, maybe, start thinking about putting a little more English on the cast.

Free advice.  Worth every penny.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 12:05pm
That right foot is KILLING my progress. I need to stop planting the heel. Heel plants, hip stops, weight slows, sadness reigns.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 3:21pm
Thank you, Dunc. It's still hard to think of myself as "fast," but after hearing enough people compliment me on it, I am starting to count it as a strength.

1.) You are absolutely right about this. I think that's where the disconnect is now that I am learning to push the implement through space. In reading your log, my next several sessions are going to be focused on what Sully was talking about with keeping the hip ahead of the implement, and getting the feet into position. I know I have the speed and agility to accomplish this, but it's the old story: reps.

2.) So, explain in greater detail what you are getting at. Is there a better way to cue myself or time the sprint at that moment, or is it just a cautionary statement?

I think you are probably right about not pushing the cast so much. I think the real results were coming from pushing it after the first turn and at the finish. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 4:36pm
Beech.. to be honest, I'm only able to sauce that cast with success maybe 20-30% of the time. With that being said, if you can juice the cast AND KEEP YOUR POSITIONS THROUGHOUT that shit is going to fly. Watch Brebner's 94f WR lwd on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ5EdOfGNAs

He destroys the cast and just adds speed from there. I like to work lower % throws up to max effort throws in practice. I'll start with some low 50-60% type effort one turns, focusing on the finish. Then a couple with a beefier sprint and a bigger finish. Then a couple that are about 90%. These fit somewhere in my 5-8 one turns warming up for fulls. From there I go to fulls and focus on a low effort 50-60% sprint and maybe a slightly bigger effort finish for a couple throws. Then slowly add to each. When I'm at 100% sprint and finish and the throws feel good, then I'll add speed to the cast. If these throw off my positions I'll back down to just the sprint and finish again.

Both of my prs on weights have been with a faster cast. It all comes down to whether I can still nail positions or not. Speeding up the cast exponentially speeds up the finish.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 5:39pm
This is good stuff.  If I may add $.02 . . . make sure to continue to push the weight and counter it and not slip in dragging it.  It's an easy thing to do when applying what has been said above.  I do it all the time sadly.  But, I am old, and weak, and don't have the obsessive discipline of Dunc and Jake.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 7:53pm

Changed the angle of my cast to set me up for better hammer orbits, and used a very simple cue to keep myself long and extended in the hips and arms throughout. Got some distance out of that. Still not countering enough in the last two winds - have to keep from tightening up as the speed increases.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Mike Beech Mike Beech wrote:

used a very simple cue to keep myself long and extended in the hips and arms throughout. 

Which was what Mike?

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 9:28pm

Which was what Mike?

Tom

"Long"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

What are you using for standards, Mike? And that 25-26 is 20#? Sheaf has to be a major focus for me this year. I'm tired of giving away that many points. Any tips/tricks/magical advices?

I missed this, sorry. I am using a 25' street lamp in front of my house. I haven't really made it happen in competition yet, so any advice from me is suspect. I've really just gained some height by paying close attention to the natural path of the bag, and trying to see where it makes sense to accelerate it, and where it's counter-productive.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 10:14pm
So much good stuff in here. I can't really offer any tips to help Mike, so I'm just gonna lurk in here & keep soakin up the knowledge...

Thanks all!!
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 10:14am
Damn, that's a great idea on the light standard. Thanks, Mike.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/14 at 2:00pm
Saturday - Houston Highland Games

Braemar: 32-7
Open Stone: 41-2 - Still didn't nail this as hard as I wanted, but I won't complain.
HWFD: 29-1 - None of us were throwing this particularly well. My finish was MIA.
LWFD: 61-4
Light Hammer: 95-3 - Not terrible, but not enough by far. I am crawling back to relevance in this event.
Caber: The real caber didn't make it to the games, so we threw a baby stick for distance. I was like 5th.
20 lb. Sheaf: Came in at 22 ft and no-heighted. Height was fine, just missed front, left, then right. Ugh.
WOB: 11

I came into this one feeling pretty dialed in. First half of the day went expected, but I had my usual meltdown in the later events. After I get clear of the next two games, I need to let my injuries heal and then train hammers, caber, sheaf and WOB exclusively. I can't notch wins if I can't hang in these events.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/14 at 2:59pm
Hang Snatch to OHS Triples
Snatch to OHS Single
175x3

Cheat Curl
135x10x3

KB Snatch to Press
55x10x3
I used the 55 kb between sets to work on my WOB setup as well. Trying to feel the active push, because it really had an effect last weekend, I just couldn't control it.

A few rounds of hammer winds and WFD casts in the front yard.
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/14 at 4:45pm
still dont know what time im picking your sweet ass up

jammin on the one.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/14 at 7:09pm
You did tell Beech that he and I are sharing the couch, right? LOL
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/14 at 7:19pm
Correction: Rob sleeps on the couch, I sleep on Rob.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/14 at 3:24pm
Hammer practice was a complete bust. I thought I really had some things figured out, but executing them eludes me. Moved on to WOB:

13 needs to become automatic instead of a once in a while thing. I am pushing the weight back deeper than ever before the pull, and I can tell it's working. I'm just not timing it well enough. Help?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
  Share Topic