FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Rhombicuboctahedron 28lbs Weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhombicuboctahedron 28lbs Weight
    Posted: 12/12/11 at 7:59am
This is my first try at a 26 sided 28lbs weight.  Steel outside, lead fill.  Only thing I did not make out of scrap steel was the chain and shackles.  Next up are 42/56 weight and hammers!  This is also my first try at posting pictures, so hopefully that works too.
Throw Far! Throw Loud!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/11 at 8:03am
Very cool looking!  (except the D handle, of course)
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/11 at 3:42pm
I just like saying " Rhombicuboctahedron".
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/11 at 12:41am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Shut your whore mouth. D-handles are all!
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/11 at 5:09am
I get a +1 Damage with that weight.
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/11 at 1:09pm
Nice job Garrett. I'm both jealous and motivated. I will have to try that myself. The blocks and cylinders are just too common
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/11 at 10:51pm
Tis a very cool weight.  It would be awesome to have some spikes off it and you could team it up with Jasen VG's skull weight.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
aaron a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/11 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Shut your whore mouth. D-handles are all!

For the WIN -BOOYA
alberta scottish athletic association
Ak thrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ak thrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 3:43am
I tried to load a pic of  my 28# flail for distance  .. But it has 16 spikes on it , 18" long ,with a D-ring handle ( I could even make it with a O-ring handle )
Remember when mom told us never throw stones ?
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 4:49am
I've seen this work of art. Truly magnificent.
The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 7:03am
AK Thrower's 28lb. Spiked WFD ~

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 7:10am
Awesome.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ak thrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 7:22am

Thanks Kaelyne for posting ..

Thanks Craig .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/12 at 3:14pm
Here's my variant of Garrett's design (credit to him for the inspiration). I elongated the top portion to give it a pear shape. The weight is stainless encased, lead filled. total length is 17.75" and the weight is 28.05#. There is a homemade swivel on the handle (note the zerk "grease" fitting and the set screw in case the eye nut needs to be changed out. I cut and re-welded the top link, so the weight is pretty much permanently set up, unless I take a cutting wheel to it. , according to my scale which matches the local UPS store's
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
MacRae73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MacRae73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/12 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by The Queen The Queen wrote:

that could prove very dangerous on that "rhythm" back swing behind the legs......

TELL ME this thing has been used in a comp SOMEwhere......

very stinkin cool....

I'd buy one just to display it !
MacRae73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MacRae73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/12 at 4:29pm
Oh, and the octa-gonal-droma-bella one is pretty stinking cool too (despite the unpronounceable name), but come on, SPIKES?  thats hard to top......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ak thrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/12 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by MacRae73 MacRae73 wrote:

Originally posted by The Queen The Queen wrote:

that could prove very dangerous on that "rhythm" back swing behind the legs......

TELL ME this thing has been used in a comp SOMEwhere......

very stinkin cool....

I'd buy one just to display it !

Thanks !!  Glad you guys like it !!   Im in the process of making a full set of weights with spikes !! Including hammers ! Big smile  I will be done with my 42 & 56 # WFD soon . My plan is to have a games throwing all event ( but with spiked weights ) and calledthem "The Wicked Warriors game " and plan to donate all money to Wounded Warriors
Old Dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Old Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/12 at 6:31pm
+1 on the Wounded Warriors donation.

Well done, sir.
Over Fork Over
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/12 at 1:29am
@ mike,  like the weight, but why make it 17.75" long.  that .25" will cost inches on the other end.  But, def like the pear shape and the D-ring with a thinner looking handle.
titanium 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titanium 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/12 at 3:24am
I'd just like to be there when your explaining to airport security what it is !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ak thrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/12 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by titanium 2 titanium 2 wrote:

I'd just like to be there when your explaining to airport security what it is !

But really ....... its a large Christmas ornament !  Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/12 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

@ mike,  like the weight, but why make it 17.75" long.  that .25" will cost inches on the other end.  But, def like the pear shape and the D-ring with a thinner looking handle.

It actually started out a little long. I heated and reshaped the chain links to make them shorter and fatter (no jokes please). I just need to tweak them back to get it back to exactly 18". 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/12 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

I wish I could just edit the last post, but since I can't, here's reply #2.

The handle is 5/8". I think that is ideal. any smaller and it really bites into my hand and larger gives me less of a hook grip. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/12 at 4:35am
Here's my newest 4 implements. The 28 and 42 are versions of the rhombicuboctahedron with elongated panels and are stainless. The HH and 56 are standard shape and made of mild steel.
celtuckian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/12 at 7:06am
Cool
Brian Ely
"Well, throwing harder didn't work" - T. Brazewell
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/12 at 8:20pm
thats cool as shit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/12 at 7:38am
next up, rhombicuboctahedron kettlebells, with smaller handles to so we can use KBs to more closely mimic HG implements

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ak thrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/12 at 2:57pm
I just finished my 42# spiked weight for distance and working on my 56 !!
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/12 at 8:49am
Since we're into 26-sided shapes, I would suggest the Great Rhombicuboctahedron...

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GreatRhombicuboctahedron.html

Might as well roll with an equilateral zonohedron, am I right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic