Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Rob Meulenberg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 9:11am
Great job Rob. Was nice to meet you, and hope to see you back in 2015 (assuming you are not beating up Kaste in the pros by then).
"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 3:40pm
Thanks Kevin.  It was great to meet you.  Glad you had me out!

Oh yeah...Jasen, yep.  A one-spinner for sure.  haha.  I'll 2 spin next year.  Finally.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 1:59pm
Pleasanton Games - 8/30-31/2014

I have wanted to compete in Pleasanton for a long time.  I used to live in Dublin and had attended the Games back when I did strongman.  I always said if I ever get serious in the games, I had to do Pleasanton.  Well, 8 years and 3300+ miles later, I made it.  Thank you to Steve Conway for allowing me to throw here this year.  Also, HUGE ups to Mike Qutermous who was a very fair and consistent judge for the Ams both days.

There was a lot of good talent here, guys who I just faced in MN like Adam, Karl, and Cory, and of course Duncan felt good enough to throw here so I knew it would be a hard fought competition.

Day 1
17# Open Stone: 41+ -7th

-Ugh. I could not tuck this stone at all and my mind got to me in the warm-ups.  I decided to stand only, and it sucked.  Way to start, Rob.

56# wfd: 33+ -4th

-Ugh, again.  I tore a callous 4 days out, so I was hoping for the best, but I re-tore it on the first throw.  Crappy number, but at least I held onto 4th.

-As of here, I was mentally killing myself.  Had a nice pep talk with myself, and an awesome text from John Halloran who basically said buck the FFFFF up, and I got over it.  New comp from here.

16# hammer: 125' (PR) -1st

-More like it.  Great release; long orbit.  Needed this throw to beat Adam and I came through.  Feeling better.

Caber: 12:30 -2nd

-Like Duncan said, not too long or heavy.  Only like 18'5", maybe 105-110#.  Still though, only Breezy and I turned it.  Adam takes first with a 12:10.

56# wfh: 15' -1st

-Hit 15' on my first, and was right there with all 3 16' attempts, but that damn knock off bar did not agree.  lol

-Went into Day 2 only 2 points behind Duncan in second place.

Day 2
26# Braemar: 32+ -4th

-Holy moly.  If you've never thrown a bowling ball, come to P-town and throw one.  Very tough stone.  I was having fits with the grip, but Duncan calmed me down and on my last throw said "Put your hand here" and boom.  Moved up a lot.  How's that for that dude...by this point I was the only guy who had a chance (albeit slim) of beating him and he is giving me advice to throw farther.  Class act.

28# wfd: 70+ -4th

-Handed shredded to shit.  Dug DEEP down.  Duncan gave great advice: "It's going to hurt like hell if you don't throw it far, so you might as well put one out there".

-At this point, I had no chance of winning unless I won HH and Duncan placed last.

22# hammer: 98'+ (PR) -2nd

-Hammers were definitely the highlight of my weekend.  Had some great series here.  Breezy had a 102+ to get me, but I am pleased with hammers.  Still a long way to go but it is nice to see the hard work pay off.

Overall: 2nd

Had a blast competing with everyone.  Loved hanging out with Duncan and Adam.  Good dudes.  We had a lot of fun over the weekend.  Loon in 2 weeks, then off-season.
www.sportkilt.com
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 5:22pm
Rob, awesome throwing my man! I wish I had seen more of it or more of you in general but I suppose that's what next year is for! 

Oh and Loon...Cool

Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 1:26pm
Tore my oblique.

Onto North/South.

Nothing to see here...

Censored
www.sportkilt.com
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 1:27pm
Damn! Get well man!
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 3:31pm
Hope you heal up quick Rob!
Aim high. Stay hungry.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 4:35pm
Cry

Heal up boss. 

I hear the recovery for a torn oblique is just peaches and cake. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 5:39pm
I've been there.

Twice.  

Ugh.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/14 at 9:44am
2014 Season Recap

Well, I finally had a season I felt was up to my level of expectations, yet I can't help have a bad taste in my mouth of things left undone.  After having both 2012 and 2013 decimated due to injuries, in 2014 I stayed relatively injury free and really made some big leaps in my throwing abilities.  

Number one thing I see was that I trained very little this summer, and instead spent most of my time on the practice field.  I also competed more than I ever have in one season, and I believe that time under fire is what builds character and takes people to that next level.

I really had 3 goals this season: Get invited to Am Worlds, Pleasanton and North vs. South.  I am happy I accomplished all these goals.  Winning MN was not something I envisioned at the beginning of the season, but as time went on and my numbers were improving, I felt I had a shot.  Really bummed to not have won Pleasanton, but Duncan was flat out better those two days.  And very upset to miss Loon, as I really wanted the New England title.  Waddell and McCallum would have not been easy to battle that day for sure.

As far as numbers, I hit nearly all of my season goals, except for officially cracking 40' HWFD and my sheaf was down (but I hardly got to contest it this year).  Currently ranked 6th on the NASGA board; I wanted top 10 so I am happy.

My season bests this year were:
BS: 41'11" @ MN Ren Fest (PR)
HWFD: 38'11.5" @ Maine Celtic Celebration (PR)
LWFD: 80'3" @ Maine Celtic Celebration (PR)
HH: 98'10.25" @ Pleasanton Games (PR)
LH: 125' @ Pleasanton Games (PR)
WOB: 16'10" @ New Brunswick Games (PR)
16# Sheaf: 30' @ Albany Games
20# Sheaf: 26' @ MN Ren Fest (PR)

-Open stone was great first half of season, but shit the bed second half.  Need to find my mojo again.  Braemar kept getting better as season progressed and I learned to actually use my legs on the thing!

-Weights were fairly solid.  I am finally dealing with my grip issues for HWFD that had been limiting me.  i thought it was arthritis related, but it turns out it might just be nerve damage I have been dealing with all season.  No wonder my grip felt crappy!

-Hammers...I was most pleased with them this season.  I put some serious work in on hammers this year.  Like work to the extent of about 90% of my practices containing hammer.  I turned it from an obvious weakness, to something that won't cost me a championship (see MN).  I still have a lot of work to do, but I feel good about them.

-WOB finally clicked this year.  16' in the second half of the season was like automatic.  Almost made 17' a couple different times; right there.  Definitely on the right track.

-Sheaf I hardly practiced since I hardly contested it.  But I am happy that sheaf did not COST me a championship (see MN)

-Caber finally felt consistent this year.  Expect for when I nearly lost myself a championship (see MN), I turned decent sized sticks fairly consistently, and I felt very confident on my picks.  Getting there...

My goals for 2015 are:
BS: 43'
HWFD: 41'
LWFD: 83'
HH: 106'
LH: 132'
WOB: 17'6"
20# Sheaf: 30'

Tough, but doable numbers.  If I put the time in, I don't see why I can't achieve these goals.

I am done for the season.  I am letting the oblique heal up, but plan to get back to practicing soon to get ready for N/S.  Team North has our hands full, but I will do everything I can to help try to bring home a victory for us.   
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/14 at 12:10pm
Time to revive this.  Been training pretty hard.  Went back to my roots - in many ways.  Closed down our gym and moved all my stuff back home; I am now back to basement training, so that is awesome.  Missed it.  

Also re-dedicated myself to going back to following a more "traditional" Westside approach.  It got me far, so why not ride it to N vs. S and beyond.  

Weather here has been crap (12" of snow on Nov. 1), so except for a fun session I had with Dirk Bishop about a month ago, throwing has mainly been non-existent.  :sad face:  It is what it is.

I have been getting my body worked on for about 3 solid months now.  I have some bad nerve issues in my left arm/hand due to crazy tight muscles in my forearm, triceps, and delts.  Been getting routine adjustments, Graston, and crazy deep tissue work almost every week.  Slowly working.

Only 2 short months till North v. South.  Can't wait.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/14 at 12:19pm
11/20/14

warmup: bike, mobility

Bench press against doubled minis:
185x3x9

Strict OHP:
barx5
95x3
145x3
165x3
195x3
215x3
145x12

-Shoulder issues getting me here.  Shut it down.

Dips:
3 sets of 8

Lat pulldown/Pendlay row superset:
3x12/3x8

-some DB work for rear delts.
www.sportkilt.com
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/14 at 3:03am
For Christmas I want a Rob "MurdaMaine" Meulenberg Public Enemy recital.

I've been so good.

Also, glad to see you back.  Good talk today.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/14 at 4:56pm
Duncan, done.

11/22/14

Warmup: bike, mobility

Deficit Deadlift (off ~3" box):
barx5
135x3
225x3
315x3
365x3
405x1
495x1
545x1
585x1

-Shut it down here.  Still babying my back a bit.

Pause squat (3 sec pause):
135x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3x3

Reverse hypers:
140x15x3

Abs
www.sportkilt.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/14 at 11:25pm
lose
Previous
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/14 at 5:12am
me and the felon known as William Drayton  aka Flava Fav   yeahhh boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/14 at 9:17am
Dan that is awesome.
www.sportkilt.com
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/14 at 10:22am
Oh snap MurdaMaine, shit is about to get real
Skinny guy trying to get big
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/14 at 7:29pm
Flav should've got the F out of dodge
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/14 at 8:58pm
Flav coming off a 3 day crack binge/comes home/neighbor(62 year old college professor)says HI,Flav says why you banging my wife?/neighbor says WHAT?/Flav pulls out..380 and pegs 7 shots at neighbor/ clip jams/we respond(had been eating breakfast in the car,reading the paper at Yankee stadium(4 blocks away) as I enter a15 story building elevator opens an a distresses shirtless, .380 in the waistband see s us and wants to draw on us/we pull our 9s say to Flav(who we know from public enemy and living in the neighborhood) Flav thinks about it,then puts his hands up and says you got me. Haha. Good times. Funny story-not my most notorious or heroic arrest but lots of shits and giggles all the way around!
JUST BRING IT /

Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/14 at 8:14am
Thread has all I need, pulling legit, Dirk Bishop sighting, and the Law.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/24/14 at 10:04am
Dirk Bishop-besides being a hoot to be around/the man oozes class. MWC in New Hampshire-Dirk was raking in the hardware(me not so much) well we tied in WOB but they only had one gold medal-they gave it to him/no biggie but Dirk hunted me down thru the day and gave it to me said I earned it. Chuckled but was touched. On the mantle next to the wife's world champ ring and her HOF placque
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/14 at 8:48am
I could have closed this log up with Myles' post. Awesome. I was training, then took a week off or so as I was out of the country.  Back home and back to work.

12/10/2014

abbreviated wamrup tonight

Box squat against greens:
335x2x8
405x1
455x1

-30 sec rest or so.  Good speed.  Gassed; my trip took a bit out of me!

Arched back GMs:
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5x2

Abs.  Done.  Good one.

www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/14 at 2:47pm
12/11/14

Bench against mini-band and 2 chains:

135(?)x3x9

Can't really remember weight.  Then a crazy amount of tricep work.  Done.

12/13/14

w/u

Deficit DL (standing on 3" block):

135x3
225x3
315x2
405x1
495x1
545x1
585x1
635x1

SSB squat:
155x5
205x5
245x5
295x5
335x5
385x5

Shrug/row complex.  Calves. Abs. Done.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/14 at 9:43am
12/15/14

mobility warmup

Bench press:
add 2 chain per side (80#)
barx5
135x3
225x3
add 3 chain per side (110#)
245x1
275x1
add 4 chain per side (140#)
295x1
315x1

Close grip 4 board:
315 with 80# chain x 5 x 3

Tricep work.  2 sets of bis.

12/16/14

mobility warmup

Box squat against greens:
315x2x8

-Low back super tight today.  Could not get loose so kept it lighter.

Front squat:
135x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
325x5

Shrugs.  Abs.  Done.

-We also got to throw some shot yesterday afternoon with one of the track coaches at the university I teach at.  Nothing big, but I am actually trying to learn correct power positions.  Hope to throw some 35# weight "our style" tomorrow.
www.sportkilt.com
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/14 at 11:35am
Nice deficit pulls
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/14 at 2:18pm
Thanks Ryan!  You too.  That 625 looked easy.
www.sportkilt.com
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/14 at 6:15pm
It was the 605 for 3 that killed me lol! Deficits are one of my favorite lifts. What ever I can deficit I can usually pull 50 lbs more from the floor. Just an indicator lift for me. Love seeing some big pulling numbers. Keep em coming.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/14 at 11:00am
12/18/14

mobility warmup

Bench press against minis and 1 chain:
155x3x9

Strict OHP:
barx5
95x5
145x5
195x3
215x3
235x3
145x11

Shoulders. Face pulls. Tris. Bis. Fun.

-We also made it to the Field House earlier in the day and threw some indoor 35# (our style).  Worked some single spin and a bunch of 2 spin.  It was surprisingly good.  Distances were where they should be (if I can extrapolate what the distance of a 2.5 stone weight should be on what I've thrown a 2 and 3 stone weight).  Hope to make it out there a couple more times before NvS.

www.sportkilt.com
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/14 at 1:05pm
2 spins?  How were the distances compared to your typical 1 spin?  If you can get that smooth and really build off your 1 turn, I predict big things for you this year.

Merry Christmas

Al
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 32>
  Share Topic