Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Rob Meulenberg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Ramius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/15 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

I put on some nice strength this winter.
That's actually kind of mind bottling.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/15 at 7:21pm
When is your debut?

The USA kilt is good luck. Wear it.

Just sayin'
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/15 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

When is your debut?

April 25th.  Sacramento.

Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

The USA kilt is good luck. Wear it.

On it.  Will do.

www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/15 at 7:30am
3/29/15

Throws at ALB.  Did OS, 42 wfd, 28 wfd, LH, and a coupe sheaf pulls.  Grammer and Hamelin had a strict "no measure" policy going on, so I have no ideas on distances.  I think I made a breakthrough on why my 2 spins have sucked ass.  Can't wait for the snow to melt to try to test the theory.  I had one LH that was moving, but I lost the grip and fell on my ass.  LOL.

3/30/15

Sore.  Did some KB conditioning.

3/31/15

Front squat:
365x10

RDL:
225x8,10,12

Abs.

4/2/15

Strict press:
205x6
225x2
265x2x2
275x2

Seated log:
190x10,14,13

*Massive shoulder Pump

Tris.  Lasagna and Trailer park boys.
www.sportkilt.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/15 at 8:37am

I had one LH that was moving, but I lost the grip and fell on my ass.  LOL.

You know what that means, right? You were doing things correctly.

In order to go big with hammer, especially if you're not super flexible, it usually feels like you're riding the ragged edge of control anyway.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/15 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

You know what that means, right? You were doing things correctly.

In order to go big with hammer, especially if you're not super flexible, it usually feels like you're riding the ragged edge of control anyway.

Yep, an even more so, I know why I lost it too.  It felt good, fast, and long.  And on my last wind, I got anxious a bit, and pulled on it a bit, took it out of orbit, and this caused me to screw it up.  

Just knowing I am getting close to the point where the hammer is moving, and realizing WHY I am making mistakes is a great take-home from that practice.

www.sportkilt.com
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/15 at 11:28am

Trailer park boys.

I need to get on it with the new season. one of the best shows out there.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/15 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

flexibility has nothing to do with it. Every time I've gone over 140, the 3rd wind feels utterly out of control. That's kind of an indicator as to whether I know it'll be a good throw or not. Haha
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/15 at 8:06am
4/4/15

Box squat:
405x3
495x3
585x5

Seated GMs:
225x8x3

Calves.  Abs.

4/6/15

Close grip 3 board press:
365x5x3

Db press:
105x12x3

Tris.  back.

www.sportkilt.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/15 at 8:27am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

flexibility has nothing to do with it. Every time I've gone over 140, the 3rd wind feels utterly out of control. That's kind of an indicator as to whether I know it'll be a good throw or not. Haha

This. 

There's a point in big hammers where two things could happen: 

1) You throw the hammer really far. 
2) You take a nasty fall. 

That's the line you must ride if you want to throw big hammers. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/15 at 10:47am

4/4/15

Box squat:
405x3
495x3
585x5

... well... ok then

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/15 at 10:49am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

There's a point in big hammers where two things could happen: 

1) You throw the hammer really far. 
2) You take a nasty fall. 

That's the line you must ride if you want to throw big hammers. 

This still happens to me on occasion.... in competition nonetheless.

My biggest cue is pressure against my hand. Every wind should have progressively more pressure against my left hand when the hammer is behind me. This lets me know I'm staying in front of it. Push with the right hand when the ball is in front of you, push with the left hand with the ball is behind you.

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/15 at 11:29am

[/QUOTE]

This still happens to me on occasion.... in competition nonetheless.

My biggest cue is pressure against my hand. Every wind should have progressively more pressure against my left hand when the hammer is behind me. This lets me know I'm staying in front of it. Push with the right hand when the ball is in front of you, push with the left hand with the ball is behind you.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.. Gonna have to try this cue..
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/15 at 11:09am
good training with you this past weekend big guy. Good luck in Sacramento!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:19am
Thanks Jake.  Thanks again for having me.  I had a blast.  Glad I made the detour there.

4/11/15

In AZ staying with Jake Sullivan

morning

Hang snatch:
up to 205x2

Hang clean:
up to 285x1

Deadlift:
up to 605x5

-One set of pullups.  Smoked!

afternoon

Stone: 6-8 standing; 5-7 MSA

-Stands felt really good.  I think one was out around 47'.  Open went about the same.  LOL.  Blowing past my positions.

HWFD: 5-6 1 spin, 4-5 fulls

-Felt terrible.  Maybe a best of ~37'.  Jake really worked on my entry.  I think I made some headway on this here.  

LH: 5 or so tosses

-Distances weren't great, but I worked on my positions with Jake and I really fell I can make more progress this season.  A best of maybe 115' or so.

-Had a great time in AZ.  Now I'm in New Mexico and it's fricking awesome.  Never knew it was so nice.  Back in Maine on Friday...
www.sportkilt.com
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/15 at 2:07pm
where in NM are you at?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/15 at 2:29pm
Santa Fe. where are you at?
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/15 at 3:15pm
I'm 45 minutes south of you in Corrales (albuquerque)- your welcome to come by and train if you have the time
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/15 at 9:24pm
Damn, wish I could.  At a conference and no car.  And I leave tomorrow.  If I ever make it back here I'll let you know.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:18pm
Too bad, Santa Fe is nice- if you are near the Plaza try and get to Pasqual's for breakfast and get the polenta with red chile- IMO outstanding
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/15 at 11:25pm
I may just do that tomorrow.  I am in the Hilton downtown so close to it.  Just checked their menu...they ain't cheap!  LOL.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:00am
Shawn, made it Pasqual's for the polenta dish.  Yum!  

Got home Friday after a long travel day.  Trained Saturday...it sucked.  Tired and jet lagged.  Threw yesterday.  It sucked.  I am assuming still tired and jet lagged.  LOL.  Hope to get out to the field for a couple walkthroughs before Sacramento this weekend.

www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/15 at 4:37pm
Woodland Games - 4/25/15

Well, my pro debut went about like I expected.  Can't really complain too much expect hammers, as it was like I have never thrown them ever.  I went up against Matt and Andy Vincent, Dan Williams, and Chuck Kasson.

22# BS: 36+ (5th)
16# OS: 45+ (4th)
56# WFD: 34'9" (5th)
28# WFD: 70'7" (3rd)
22# hammer: 81' (5th)
16# hammer: 110' (5th)
20# sheaf: 27' (PR) (tied 3rd)
56# WFH: 16' (1st)
Caber (19', 110#): 1:00 (3rd)

Overall: 5th (out of 5)

-Stones were rusty, but in line with my few practice sessions.  No one went really big with them

-Weights were meh.  The nerve damage in my hand is (I think) getting better and I really feel like I may be able to throw the weights bigger as the season progresses and my hand/grip improves.

-Hammers were embarrassing.  To be like 15' off what I can throw is upsetting.  I almost fouled out of HH.  Just could not keep any balance.

-Sheaf was surprisingly good.  I hit a PR and then had a couple good attempts at 30'.

-WOB went well.  It took me 3 attempts to hit 14' (lol) then I was clean with 15 and 16.  I had 3 great attempts at 17, and one screenshot showed that I had 17'6"...just peaked in front.  Hopefully big things can happen in WOB this year.  If you asked me if my first pro event win would happen in my 1st games, I would have laughed.   If you told me it would be in WOB when Andy and Dan were competing, no chance.

-Caber was nice.  Turned my first stick in a pro game.  Went 60d, 1, 930.

-Overall, I had a blast.  The morning events were a bit humbling, but I know the numbers are there.  Just have to coax them back out.
www.sportkilt.com
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/15 at 6:22pm
Nice Job!
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/15 at 6:29pm
Great work man! The numbers will come back. 

Cant wait to throw/room with you again this year. We have a lot of Dr. Pepper to drink!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/15 at 6:51pm
Congrats on the debut, look forward to throwing with ya this year!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 4:26pm
Thanks guys. Dave...looking forward to it.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/15 at 7:41am
4/30/15

-Beautiful day outside, so we did some stuff outside.

Strict log press:
work up to
270x5

Bent over rows.  JM press.

5/1/15

-Had a little time to throw.

HWFD: 2 stands, 2 1 spin, 10 2 spin

-Nothing that great, but trying to worry less about distances and more about the right technique and timing.  Set a flag at 35'.  Got past it on all.  Most were 37-ish.  Long of 39'.

5/2/15

Back squat:

work up to
495x10 (belt only)

-Smoked after this.

Yoke:
Did a run of 80' with 650#

Pullthroughs.

-Some throws today.
www.sportkilt.com
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/15 at 8:58am
No big deal, just a casual 495x10. 

Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/15 at 9:46pm
Never can go wrong with a Bubbles gif!

5/4/15

-Every spot I tired to throw at yesterday was occupied or under water, so I pushed it to today.  This meant a quick speed squat session followed by some throws.

Box squat:

405x2x10

-Still a bit sore from Sat, so I opted just bar weight.  Felt good by the end.

Stone:

5 stands, 10 MSA - cone at 45'.  Had no issues with that.  Most around 47'.  Had a couple near the end at 49+ (one at 49'9").  Stone still not great, but it is the first decent session I have had.

LWFD:
3 1 spin, 10-12 fulls - cone at 70'.  Had no issue with the cone.  First couple were nice and easy, right about 70-71'.  Cuing myself to get my damn right foot down.  Last few were decent.  Had 2 over 78'.  Getting there.

-Want to throw some hammer tomorrow.  Maybe a few pulls on the ol' sheaf.  Then ALB.
www.sportkilt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
  Share Topic