FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Rob Meulenberg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Rob Meulenberg
    Posted: 12/21/11 at 3:36am
Hi all.  This is my first online training log in probably 7 years or so.  I think it is time.  I like this forum; everyone is very helpful and it seems like a real community (not unlike you will find at the games themselevs).  I know a handful of the guys posting their training logs here and I would like some accountability in my training as well. 

Anyway, about me.  I have been competing as a pro in strongman since 2007.  I have been riddled with injuries since about 2008 which IMO prevent me from ever really putting together a good strongman contest.  I have also totaled IPF elite in powerlifting in the 125kg class (and APF elite in the 140kg class).

I did my first games way back in 2005 when I lived on the West Coast.  I moved back East in 2008.  I competed in three games last season, which I would consider my first real season.  I met some amazing athletes on the field who have inspired me to focus even more on the games in 2012.

I train at a private gym called Silo Barbell in Bangor Maine.  We have everything from a monolift, Forza bench, Ivanko kilo set, specialty bars, logs, axles, stones, etc.

Since I live in Maine so most of my off-season training will just focus on lifting and not throwing.  But I will say up front, I am a lifter who is trying learn how to throw! 

My basic split is 2 upper movements and 2 lower movements per week. 

Here is my training from yesterday.

12/20/2011

Warmup:
Hip mobility

Deadlift (raw):
135x5
225x5
315x2
405x1
495x1 (add belt)
*all done with hook grip
585x1
675x1
*added straps last two sets
315x7 (hook grip)

-This is the heaviest I have pulled since June.  My back has been screwed up so I was pleased.  The last set is my effort to try to kill the feeling in thumbs to get used to the hook grip.  I can use it for throwing no problems...but holding on to heavy pull with it is still a challenge.

Zercher out of pins with SSB (no belt):
155x5
245x4
335x2
425x1
335x4 (arms thrashed)

-The 425 was much harder than anticipated.  It must be due to the SSB's center of mass differing from a normal bar which changes the lifting leverages considerably.

Reverse hypers:

200x15x3

Stability ball abs:
3 sets of 12

-If I can pry the camera out of my wife's hands, I will try to get some video when I can.

Edited by rob meulenberg - 11/21/14 at 12:11pm
www.sportkilt.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 3:40am
Thumbs Up
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 3:55am
Good to see you at it Rob.  Train smart and will see you on the field at Belfast if not sooner.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 4:38am
Nice Rob! Once he gets his form down we are all screwed!

And stops throwing in Converse All Stars
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 5:33am
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Once he gets his form down we are all screwed!

I swear if I had a nickel for every time I've heard this....I'd be filthy rich. 
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 6:51am
Instead of just filthy.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 7:03am
Exactly.

Instant hi-jacking here, gonna be a good log Rob. 
Andy Vincent View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 10:02am
Glad to see you logging Rob!
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/21/11 at 2:06pm
Call me Captain Cliche
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/11 at 1:25am
Jeff, what is wrong with Chucks?  :)

Craig, I already feel part of the community with a quick thread hi-jack!  lol

12/22/2011

Warmup:
Hip mobility, TKE

Push Press:
135x5
185x5
225x5
*all warmups for work sets
240x4x4

- My push press has always sucked.  I have pressed 380 on a log, but my barbell push press has never been strong.  I feel very uncomfortable in the rack position.  Time to remedy this.  The work sets felt easy.  Not to get all "bro" on you all, but I got a crazy pump from the working sets.

Incline bench press:
135x5
225x5
275x5
315x3 (grrr...missed 2 reps)
315x5 (got a spot and lift-off so ensure I made all the reps)

-I was planning to go heavier, but the shoulder pump really limited me.  It was insane.

Pullups:
BWTx5x4

Face pulls:
doubled mini band x 20 x 3

Windmills:
45x10x3
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/11 at 1:30pm
12/24/2011

Warmup:
Hip mobility, TKE

Box squats (raw):
145x5
235x3
325x2 (add belt)
325x2 (add choked blue bands)
415x2x8 with choked blues (90 seconds rest)

-Hips very tight this morning.  Speed felt great.  Got heart rate over 160 after set 8.  Returned below 120 in about 2 minutes.  Conditioning needs to get better.

Medley work:
225# keg for 80' walk with a load over 56" yoke
200# sandbag for 80' with load @56" followed by 225# keg 80' with load @56"

-The second set made me work.  Sandbag was too easy, but keg felt surprisingly hard.  Will add a third leg in next week.

Sled drags:
200# for 80'
300# for 80'
400# for 80'

-Quad were trashed after this.  Again, a bit too easy for me though so I need to bump the weight up.

Reverse hypers:

200x12x3

-Overall, a good workout.  I forgot to hit my abs, but otherwise, I was pleased with the workload.  I would have liked to do the speed work at a faster pace, but my training partner is taller and does a lot less weight than me so we spend the off time switching the weight and height on the monolift.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 2:30pm
12/27/2011

Warmup:
Rotator cuff, hip mobility

12" Log:
90x5 (log is 90# empty)
180x3
230x3
270x3x5 (75 seconds rest between sets)

-My legs were still wobbly from Saturday's workout which made these sets hard.  I have been trying to learn how to power jerk ever since the Olympia strongman when I finished 2nd to last in the log...and everyone was jerking like a champ.  I need to be consistently pressing 380# or so on the log.

Barbell Clean and Press (one clean):
135x5
225x3
275x5
305x0 (miss clean)

-I am very happy with this.  I get about 10# per rep...so I should be well over a 300# strict press.  My PR all time is 315x3 (no clean) but that was over 3 years ago so this is the strongest my press has been in awhile.  Looking at the video, I just missed the 305#; I was just not getting under it at all.  I have not done cleans in awhile (well, not barbell cleans).  I feel like I have lost a lot of explosiveness so I am hoping to adjust to some movement that may help me regain this...

Tate press:
75x10x3

Tricep pushdown with choked green band:
3 sets of 20

-A good workout.  I ran out of time for abs; will hit them tomorrow.  I have some video.  I will try to post it after this post.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 2:37pm
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 3:04pm
Looking strong man!  Interesting pressing technique on the barbell presses, I've never seen anyone look up through the whole movement.  It obviously works for you though!

Mustache?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Andy Vincent Andy Vincent wrote:

Looking strong man!  Interesting pressing technique on the barbell presses, I've never seen anyone look up through the whole movement.  It obviously works for you though!

Thanks Andy!

This is part of the reason I am taking video...I never knew I did it that bad!  It is always a problem at contests.  Dione or whomever is always saying "head through".  If I keep reinforcing it in training, it gets harder to correct at contests.  I think part of the reason I do that so badly on the BB presses is because I lean way back like the old time pressers.

Originally posted by Andy Vincent Andy Vincent wrote:

Mustache?

You know it.  It is winter break here and instead of my typical beard I grow at this time, I want a bad-ass mustache.  Next time you see me hopefully you think I am Sam Elliott.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/11 at 12:38am
I think another thing that doesn't allow you to realize is how high up you're actually starting your press.  You're at like nose height or higher when you are actually starting your presses.  Not sure if that's on purpose or just a lack of flexibility, but it's definitely a ROM shortener.  Assuming it's the latter, you'll need that flexibility for the games so you might want to put some focus there.  I've been working on it personally for like the last year.  

The oly press is cool, and is making a comeback imo. 

Oly press positions for those that don't know:

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/11 at 1:57am
You are totally right Craig.  I really didn't notice my starting point until I looked at the video.  I had not videoed myself in a long time and this shows why you should.

I think it is a mix of flexibility issues as well as being so bent back.  When I am doing my reps, I feel the bar hit my neck so I think "good rep".  In reality, they are good reps (for what I am doing), but I could be doing my self a better service my making sure I am looking forward and getting the flexibility back so I can touch my chest/clavicles.

Thanks for the input!  Yet another thing to work on going forward...
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/11 at 1:19pm
12/28/2011

Warmup:
TKE, Back extensions

Deadlift (raw):
135x5
225x3
315x3
405x2
495x1 (add belt)
*again, all these sets with hook grip
585x1
635x1
675x1
725x1
*used straps on these sets

-Pulls felt great.  Had a little more in me.  This is the best my DL has felt in some time.  Good to be moving in the right direction.  I did not do another heavy movement as I am feeling a bit beat up so I did accessory work after this.

Reverse hypers:
200x12x3

Seated leg curls with choked green band:
3 sets of 20

Ab rolls with stability ball:
3 sets of 10

-Finished off with PVC rolling on quads for max effort pain.  Good workout. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/11 at 1:22pm
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/11 at 3:58pm
looks like you might have a little more in you Rob - awesome pulls.

Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 12:28am
Big Pull.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 6:52am
Thanks Hapy and Craig!
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 2:05pm
Wow Rob looking strong!
"Stand in your own space and know you are there."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/11 at 2:35am
Thanks Alison!

12/29/2011

Geez, a bit fried tonight.  Been hitting it very hard and I needed a break.  Plan was to hit some push presses and do some throws.  Also wanted to get home to watch FSU beat Notre Dame (FSU alum).

Warmup:
Some rotator cuff, stretching

Push Press:
barx5
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
*all these sets needed to try to warmup the shoulder for full flexibility.
275x8

-I have some video of these I will post next.  Immediately, I notice a few things.

1) My grip is preetty wide when compared to other push press videos (see, for example, Andy V's recent awesome video).  I did this so I could get the bar to touch my clavicles.  I still had some difficulties.  I need to improve this still.

2) I am STILL LOOKING UP!  It feels like I am getting my head all the way through.  Although this was better than my Olympic press video, I still need to work on getting the head through. 

Standing throws:
Took about 5 throws with a 16# rock in 15 degree weather.  Awesome conditions!  I would have kept going but I launched the stone into a creek and was not venturing in there is the dark.  Will dig it out on Saturday.  Best throw about 40'. 

LWFD (one turn):
Took about 10 throws before my homemade weight broke.  Was very cold, but I actually felt good.  I hit one ~63', which believe it or not would be a games PR.

I have some crappy video of these (too dark) that I will post.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/11 at 2:38am
275x8 - Also, never noticed my legs are so wide.  I can't believe it has taken me so long to start video taping myself again!!!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/11 at 2:42am
This is my first ever throw video to post.  I am sorry about the crappy quality.  It was dark out.  I know my form leaves a lot to be desired, so please be gentle.  :)  It is not so easy to throw in the cold when you have crappy form to start with!!!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/01/12 at 8:44am
12/31/2011

Warmup:
Hip mobility

Box squats (raw):
145x5
235x3
325x2 (add belt)
415x2
435x2x6 with choked blues (60 seconds rest)

-HR ~150 after sets.  Felt very explosive.  Taking it a little easy on Thursday really helped.

Atlas Stones on 48" platform:
200x1
245x4
315x1

-1st days doing stones since bicep tear in Sept.  Felt good...still feels hard to attack them.

Medley:
200# sandbag, 225# keg, 250# keg all 80' with load over 56" yoke

-Wow, this was fricking brutal.  Holy hell.  I had to drop the keg and re-pick at the 40' mark on the last leg with the 250 keg.  Good conditioning.  Leg were wobbly as hell.

Sled drags:
200# for 80'
300# for 80'
500# for 80'

-Brutal sled drags.  I had to lower the weight by 50# at the 40' mark for the last set.  My lungs were burning after this.

*Overall, a tremendous workout.  Finished off with some foam rolling on the quads and going over to the creek to dig out my open stone.  If the snow continues to hold off, perhaps I can throw a bit next week.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/12 at 2:24am
Really fried today.  Took an easy day.

1/3/2012

Warmups:
foam rolling, rotator cuff

Bench press:
135x10
*add doubled minis to each side
185x3x8   *change grip width every two sets; 60 seconds rest between sets

-I am thinking about doing a powerlifting meet in NH in March so I want to start benching again.

Dips:
BWT for 3 sets of 5

-I was actually excited about this.  Ever since I separated both ac joints, I have not been able to do dips, especially at my current bodyweight of ~290#.

Overhead tricep extensions:
95x10x3

Ab twists on GHR:
3 sets of 5

-Done.  Easy quick workout.  The plan is for some heavy squats tonight. 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/09/12 at 2:47pm
Wow, this board has a lot of active loggers.  Take a deload week and you are almost on the 3rd page.  lol

I was feeling fried so I scrapped my training last week and just ate and got fat.  Got back in the gym on Saturday.

1/7/2012

*No warmup today.  No reason...just laziness.

Box squats (raw):
145x5
235x5
325x3 (add belt)
415x2
455x2x6  with choked blues  *90 seconds rest

-Squats felt snappy.  Rest did me good.  HR got up to ~150-155.

Frame carry:
140x40'
320x40'
500x40'
600x40'

-All felt easy.  First time I have done any heavy Farmers or frame since the summer.  Bicep felt okay.

Medley:
200# sandbag, 225# keg, 250# keg all 80' with load over 56" yoke

-Same as last week's medley.  This was just plain hard.  Stopped at the 40' mark again for the 3rd leg.  I need to push my mental toughness better on this medley.

*No sled drag today.  Got caught up BSing with friends.

1/9/2012

Warmup:

hip mobility

12" Log:
90x5
140x5
180x3
230x2
270x1
320x1
370xmiss
370x1

-Hell yes!  My log is coming back.  My PR is 380 at the 2009 America's Strongest Man contest.  But I missed 360 at this year's Olympia in September.  So to hit 370 right now is awesome!  I felt I had some more in the tank.  Wish I did not forget the camera so i could have seen it.  I am very excited.

Bench press:
135x5
185x3
225x3
*add doubled minis to each side
205x3x8   *change grip width every three sets; 60 seconds rest between sets

-Good and snappy, although my left bicep hurt a bit on the sets.  Not good as that is the one I tore back in August.

*Finished off with some back work.
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/10/12 at 2:34am
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

This is my first ever throw video to post.  I am sorry about the crappy quality.  It was dark out.  I know my form leaves a lot to be desired, so please be gentle.  :)  It is not so easy to throw in the cold when you have crappy form to start with!!!

Biggest problem I see is you're throwing with the wrong hand.  Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 32>
  Share Topic