Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Alison Tostevin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: Alison Tostevin
    Posted: 12/22/11 at 12:49pm

So I was told that I had to start a log to hold myself accountable for the journey that I have recently decided to take.  Then I was told that I didn’t have to do anything but that “I WANTED to be held responsible.”  So, here we go, I hate it when people are right!

A little background: .  I am 30something years old and this will be my 5th season competing.  I threw my first shot put at the age of 7, and my first discus at the age of 9.  I had a fair amount of success as a youngster, and then I stopped growing 5’4’’ is all god gave me.  Though I was able to continue to have success and got myself a small scholarship to a D1 school.  My first year I red shirted, having major shoulder surgery to my off shoulder.  Injury sustained as a self-taught indoor weight thrower in high school.  The next three years of school did nothing but make me hate throwing and hate sports in general.  I took 8 years off from doing anything I mean ANYTHING.  4 years ago after some pressure of the Director of the Maine Highland games, I signed up for my first games.  Today I am a much happier person, a little bit healthier and having so much fun.  When a stated doing the games I joined a power lifting gym, and have been training there since. 

I am a very coachable person, always have been, but I have no confidence in my own knowledge in the gym, I feel lost, as if I am not doing anything effectively.  This has kept me with a trainer who only knows how to train for powerlifting, and even then it’s powerlifting from the early 90s.  I have gym PRs of 375 squat (with knee wraps), 155 bench, and 300 deadlift. 

So here I am today. I took my first step to the “new Alison.”  With help from some great people on this board I have my first training program made for a thrower.  I have also embarked on a new food program, with the goal of losing a fair amount of weight in the next year.  40-50 lbs between now and May for a total of 80-90 lbs by this time next year.  (yup im putting it out there)  I also hope to hit some goals in the gym of squatting over 400, getting my bench up to around 170 and pulling 350.  I would like to see my distances increase as well.  BS from 30’6’’ to 34’, OS from 38’5’’ to 41’, HWD from 34’ 8’’to 37’, LWD from 64’6’’ to 71’’, HH from 57’8’’ to 62’’, LH from 68’5’’ to 74’, Sheaf from 20’ to 24’’ and WOB from 12’ to 14’.  I would also like to turn the caber with way more consistency. I might be the worst hammer thrower ever.

12/22/11 ( I had to make a few modifications as my helper has been busy and unable to answer a few questions I have with the program)

Easy 10 min walk on the treadmill

Stretching and rolling

Squats

1x10@55

1x10@75

1x10@95

1x10@105

1x10@125

1x10@140

1x10@150

1x10@160

1x10@170

-last set rep 8 9 and 10 where the only times I felt like it was rough.. 

I did what I call the ab strap, 3x15@90lbs

Deads

2x5@100

2x5@105

2x5@110

1x5@120

1x5@125

2x5@140

-did these quick with good pop through the hips, felt really light.  Hopefully I will figure out if I have the weights correct based off my maxs

Finished it off with a dash around Sam’s Club grabbing food for the holiday and avoiding all the yummy samples I can no longer eat. 

"Stand in your own space and know you are there."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/11 at 1:31pm
Thumbs Up
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/11 at 10:37pm
Good for you Alison.  We are all here for you if you need us.

Merry Christmas

Al
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/11 at 11:56pm
Hooray Ali!!!

Good to see you on here and making "New Years Resolutions" well before new years. Me thinks this will be successful for you!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
MJurkoic View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJurkoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:23am
OUTSTANDING, Alison.
Loki: I have an army. Tony Stark: We have a Hulk.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/11 at 12:44am
Do Work!!!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 12:33am
Ahem...you've been training.  Make with the posting.

Also, the deal I mentioned earlier:

You mentioned you were having belt "troubles."  Been there, so I understand the issue.  Get to your desired weight, get me your measurements, and I will buy you a Forever Lever like mine in whatever color you want.

It is written...

Friends don't let friends lift in Valeo.
The man in the arena.
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/11 at 12:28pm

12/27/11

I see a carrot/new weight belt has been dangled in front of me, good thing veggies are on my menu.  I will hold you to that Duncan!

Spending the holidays at my folk’s house, we have a weight set up down in the basement, it’s not ideal but it’s better than nothing.  Really only things missing are more dumbbells and more space. 

Stretching, some rolling, oh how I love to roll.

Push Press Strict

7x10@45

3X10@55

Pulldowns

1x10@65

4X10@70

Bench

2x10@45

3x10@70

Dumbbell Rows

1x10@20

4x10@25

Diet is going well, very impressed with myself and my ability to no crush under the pressure of Christmas goodies.  My one down fall was making the rolls for Christmas dinner.  Who has the person who is not eating grains make the fresh baked rolls, I had one I admit it.  Other than that I have been on track for the week.  Meat, veggies, fruit, and H20.  

ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/11 at 2:20pm

12/29/11

It is funny how when you are enjoying yourself in the gym you never want to leave.  I spent almost two hours in there tonight.  Now granted there was a lot of talking at the end, none the less I felt great when I left.

Stretching and rolling

DL

1x10@45

1x10@95

1x10@115

4x10@135

2x10@145

Cleans (hang)

1x5@78

1x5@88

3X5@100

Was there when a guy who used to be ranked in the top 10 in US in OLY lifting, he said my form was pretty decent.  I took that as a good thing.  We debated for throwing what was better cleaning from the floor or from the hang? Don’t think we came up with an answer, and I might be more confused now then I was before I started.  This is the first time I have done cleans in about 5 months, not really sure what my max is for them either so today was kind of a try out as to what I could do with the amount of reps.

KB Swings

5x10 at 35lbs

Think I should have gone up to the next weight on these, again, not really sure where my strength is with some of these exercises so it all a bit of an experiment.

Diet is going great!  Made it through a stressful evening last night without diving in to the amazing peanut butter fudge in the folk’s fridge.  Got on the scale today, 10 days in to my new food journey and I was surprised to see the sale fall 9 lbs., seems a little much for 10 days, maybe I’m not eating enough.  I feel great don’t really feel hungry or fatigued.

ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/12 at 9:06am
1/2/12
Fist work out of the new year!

Squats
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@125
1x10@150
1x10@160
3x10@170
2x10@180

Goodmorning (learning the motion on this one never done it before)
5x5@100

Deadlifts (with red band a various resistance)
1x5@135 no band
4x5@135 banded
5x5@135 banded tighter.

I have not been home for more then one night in the last 10 days.  Which was apparent when I woke up this morning and there was nothing for me to eat in the house, well nothing that I will allow myself to eat.  So taking some antibiotics and vitamins on an empty stomach and then going to work out might not have been the best of ideas.  Came very close to vomiting but pulled it together in the end and got through the deadlifts.   Better planning is always a good thing when trying to eat right, wont eat bad but I need to eat. 
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/12 at 11:10am
Good work! Way to get after it!

Goods are the BEST sister, the best. As far as form go - start by sticking your ass out - at the bottom you should look like the number 7 - drive back up by leading forward with the hips. I use a pad on this pretty religiously to avoid bruising.

Side note on the vitamins, they don't do you any good on an empty tummy, you won't absorb them. Don't make yourself sick trying to do right!

Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/12 at 11:40am
Thanks Britt,
I know I should never take meds/vitamins on an empty stomach, I had two pieces of cheese before I took the pills, but it wasnt enough.  Like I said poor planning on my part, I could have had some of the granola hidden in the back of my cupboard, but I wont let myself do that right now.  Its all a learning process, I just want to stay on or a little above the curve. 
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/12 at 9:47am
1/4/11

Push Press Strict
5x10@45
5x10@55

Pull Downs
1x10@70
1x10@80
1x10@85
1x10@90
1x10@95

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@55
1x10@70
2x10@75

Dumbbell Rows
1x10@25
3x10@30
1x10@35

Ab Strap
3x15@90

I am still trying to figure out correct weights for some of these exercises.  Trying to figure out what feels right for that many reps and sets when I am used to doing much heavier weights for much lower reps and sets.  Its all a process I am assured.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/12 at 2:28pm
Hi Alison! Great to see you posting this. Hope you have a wonderful 2012.
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/12 at 8:14am
1/5/12

I maybe should have taken a day away from the gym.  Sore from Tuesdays workout, lower back mostly, and some inner thigh, and triceps are very sore from yesterday.  Alas I did not take a day off.  I have been warned that I need to listen to my body and not try and kill myself because it will only hurt me in the end.  But its Thursday and I always work out on Thursdays!.   Split the work out in to, two sessions due to some work coming my way.  

Deadlifts
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@115
7x10@145

Goodmornings, used a safety bar as I was training with a friend who is going to have shoulder surgery in a few weeks, she can't use a straight bar. 
5x10@100

Jumped into a phone booth and became cleaning woman.  Same friend as I was training with cleans houses for a living, with her surgery and my lack of employment I will be helping her with her accounts during her rehab. Spent 2.5 hrs scrubbing, vacuuming, mopping, washing, a huge house, who needs 5 bathrooms?  Kept my lower back lose when all it wanted to do was stiffen up.

Back to the gym.

Cleans(ha ha cleans on the day I was cleaning)
1x5@78
4x5@88
So last week I made an oops when I calculated my weights wrong on my cleans, darn 5lb plates sneaking in to the OLY plates that are all Kilo, so I was thinking I did about 12 lbs more last week then I actually did.

Kettle Bell Swings
16kilo Bell=35.2lbs (good math)
5x10@35.2lbs

I am still trying to figure out where I should be on some of these exercises weight wise. 

On the weight loss side of things down another 4 lbs for a total of 13 in 16 days!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/12 at 9:05am
I'm so jealous of gyms that have bumper plates! I have the urge to drop weights and not get kicked out haha
Jeff Kaste

ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:59am
1/11/12
Been a busy week for me, had a big interview yesterday spent most of Monday preparing for it, spent Tuesday doing it.  So first day at the gym this week. 

Squats
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@125
1x10@150
1x10@170
3x10@185

Goodmornings
1x10@45
5x10@105

Deadlifts (first two sets no bands, last 5 red bands)
1x5@45
1x5@145
5x5@145

Ab Strap Crunches
3x20@90

Put my weight belt on for the first time in about 4 weeks.  I hadn't needed it until squats today.  4 weeks ago at the power lifting meet, I needed help to get it in the first hole.  Today I got it to the second with out any help at all.  Something has to be working !!!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/12 at 12:48pm
who needs a scale when you have the weight belt! Go Alison!
Jeff Kaste

ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/13/12 at 1:38pm
1/13/12

Overhead Press
2x10@45
3x10@55
5x10@60

Pulldowns
1x10@85
2x10@95
2x10@100

Benchpress
1x10@45
1x10@55
1x10@70
2x10@80

Dumbbell Rows
2x10@30
2X10@35
1X10@40

In the middle of my overhead pressing the owner of my gym comes up and tells me that the guy who taught me how to lift back in high school passed away on Sunday.  His name was Ernie Gilbert and in Maine is was one of the great lifters.  He also had a love of track and field. Coached the woman who hold the high school national record with the 8lb shot. Summer before my SR year of high school he got a bunch of the better throwers in the state together.  There were 6 or 7 of us, three days a week we got together and throw and then we went to his gym and we lifted.  He taught me how to squat, dead lift, bench press, clean, and snatch.  He introduced me to the coach at UMASS who has lifted at his gym as a teenager.  Thats how I got my scholarship.  Heck my prom date was one of the guys I threw with during his sessions, Nick didn't have access to a tux, so "Gilly" as we called him lent him his tux.   I had not seen him in over 12 years and I am not sure he knew I was back lifting and throwing.  As I was lifting the bar over my head I got more then a little teary, that man gave me so much, and I pushed the weight up a little faster and a little harder.  He will be missed.

rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/12 at 11:43am
Sorry to hear that Alison.
www.sportkilt.com
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/12 at 11:55am
Someone like that touches a lot of lives.  The best memorial is a memory.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/12 at 11:15am
1/15/12

Made sure to make it to the gym today, was alone for most of my work out.  I like it better that way.

Deadlifts
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@125
1x10@145
6x8@155

My lower back was killing me today.  Not sure if was from sleeping in at my folks place last night on the pullout, or because I wore heels for most of the day yesterday.  I hate heels, only wear them for special occasions.  So in between each set I would go lay flat on the bench with my feet on the bench, seemed to relax my back long enough to get another set in.

Cleans (from the hang)
5x5@90
These felt surprisingly well considering how the dead lifts felt

Goodmornings
2x10@105
3x10@115

I have gotten more comfortable with the movement and think I can stand to take some more weight with these, going to give it a shot.  Not to much pain in the lower back here either.

Kettle Bell Swings
3x10@36
These killed my back and I didnt get all my sets in,  not sure what the deal is. 

Got home took a really hot shower and have done some rolling and stretching, back seems just fine.  Who knows, I have never understood my body, why start getting it now.

Yesterday I went to the furnural of my lifting mentor Ernie "Gilly" Gilbert.  There were about 200 people there for the public memorial.  His wife spoke towards the end, and asked for anyone he helped with weight lifting to stand up.  More then 3/4 of the auditorium stood up.  She then told us all how in power lifting you wanted to see at least two white litghts after your lift.  She looked up and said "Earnie these people standing are your white lights,  I think it was a good lift."  But perhaps my favorite moment was when Earnie Hackett said the thing he always remembers Gilly saying was "Just pick it up!"  That really is all we have to do!
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/12 at 12:46pm
I was acused today of not putting all my workouts up on my log.   Well today is the end of my third week 4 workouts a week, and I admittedly didn't do two workouts one each of the first two weeks.  So I should have 10 workouts posted.  By my count with tonight's entry I have 10 workouts, that's all I should have.  So poo on you!!!

1/16/12
Bench
1x10@45
1x10@55
1x10 @65
1x10@70
1x10@75
5x10@80

Strict Row
5x10@70  need more weight on this one too easy!

Clean and Jerk
5x5@95

Pull Downs
2x10@90
3x10@100

Abbs
3x15@90

My lower back is still feeling crappy,  but got through the cleans, the jerks were just fine. 
Weight is coming off nicely,  looked back at the actual figure from December 16th and we are creeping up on 23 lbs.  Pretty cool if you ask me!

ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/12 at 10:44am
1/17/12

I should have taken today off.  I knew it on my way to the gym, I knew it when I was there, and I knew it when I left.  But I also knew that I wasn't going to be able to go tomorrow so I needed to go today.  I cut my workout short, my back was just not having it.  What can you do.

Squats
1x10@55
1x10@105
1x10@125
1x10@150
1x10@170
3x10@185

Goodmornings
5x10@105

Ab Strap
3x10@90

Toast I tell you!!!
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/19/12 at 4:21am
1/19/12

Did things in a different order today so that I could bench with a friend of mine.   Decided to take some heavier weight and was happy with the results.

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@75
1x10@85
1x10@95
3x10@100

Chest Iso Row
5x10@120

Overhead press (was killing me, had to go a little lighter couldn't get it with out a kneedrive.  This is usually my first exercise on this day)
5x8@70

Pulldowns
5x10@100

It was nice to train with someone else today.  I think I need to go heavier on my benches in general, but 100 is a little rough for me to get out of the rack on my own.  Might try lowering the height down. 

Felt good today strong, its amazing what breakfast before you lift can do for you.

ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/12 at 10:12am
1/21/11

Day in the gym started well, didn't end as well as I would have liked.   Text message to coach "I am afraid I have injured myself."

The last two lower body days I have been feeling massive amounts of tightness in my lower back and upper bum area, so I spent some extra time stretching, and rolling today, like a good girl.  Don't think it helped too much.

Deadlifts
1x10@45
1x10@95
1x10@135
1x10@145
1x6@165
2x5@185
1x3@205
1x3@225

Up until today I haven't gone heavy enough to need a belt, plus 20lbs heavier ago getting in to a good conventional set up was just not happening with a belt on.  But today I wanted to go a bit heavier and put a belt on that was much too big fo rme but loose enough that I could get it down on my hips a bit further.   The lifts went great!  I felt strong and had no pain in the lower back region while doing them.   Then I take the belt off to do some cleans, and the second the belt comes off I am in pain.  Went to do some more stretching to see if I could get loose.

Hang Cleans
3x5@90
That was it back was just getting too painful and couldn't get it to relax no matter what I did. 

KB swings
I went real light on these to see if it was just the weight that was hurting my back, but these were perhaps the most painful part.  Ended up doing 2x20 @ like 16lbs or something and it hurt so so bad and I realized that I was doing most of the work with my arms anyway so I just bagged. 

So I have been home for about 4 hrs now,  done a lot of laying on the floor and stretching, done some hot and freezing cold shower, and taken a fair amount of tyenol.  Here is hoping to feeling better tomorrow.  

ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/12 at 8:04am
So my back is feeling 85% better then it did yesterday.  Not sure what that means?  I have had my back go out on me before like it did yesterday and it has taken me days and days to feel better.  So I am at a loss.  Will get to the gym tomorrow for some upper body, will probably not do the cleans that the program calls for though.  Next week is this deload thing you all speak of.  
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/12 at 5:08am
1/22/12
Wanted to get in the gym before football started.   Was a little leery as my back was still not feeling good.  Did some stretching when I got up, and some more at the gym.  Was pretty happy with the results.  Only pain and it was more discomfort then pain was on the chest rows.

Bench
1x10@45
1x10@75
1x10@85
1x10@95
5x8@100

Chest Rows
5x8@120

Pull Downs (went real light on these was a bit afraid of how my lower back would feel)
5x15@80

Incline Press
5x10@50

No on to this deload week you people speak of.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/12 at 6:14am
Deload is awesome.  Super light lifts, lots of good rest and good calories.  Cardio.  Make it easy on yourself!
The man in the arena.
ATost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ATost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/12 at 6:30am
I am very afraid that taking it easy will make me complacent.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic