Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: JB Cochran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: JB Cochran
    Posted: 1/23/12 at 11:47am
These are my very first attempts at throwing WFD. Actually it's my first attempt at throwing anything like this. I watched a couple of videos of people throwing, put a few 5# plates on the ballistica, and off I went. I have to admit the whole motion felt awkward. I felt like I was out there just jumping around in circles and throwing a weight at the end of the motion; it felt jerky and uncomfortable. So how do I improve?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN-ZsaItnow&feature=youtu.be
Virtute et labore.
JB Cochran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/12 at 5:25am
Lat pulldowns
Machine curls
Bentover rows
Hammer curls

Deadlifts
115x5
115x5
135x5
135x5
225x3
315x1
325x1 PR
Virtute et labore.
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/12 at 5:49am
Originally posted by JB Cochran JB Cochran wrote:

These are my very first attempts at throwing WFD. Actually it's my first attempt at throwing anything like this. I watched a couple of videos of people throwing, put a few 5# plates on the ballistica, and off I went. I have to admit the whole motion felt awkward. I felt like I was out there just jumping around in circles and throwing a weight at the end of the motion; it felt jerky and uncomfortable. So how do I improve?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN-ZsaItnow&feature=youtu.be

The GF and I are working drills for this right now.  If that was your first few attempts, you did damn good (or you cut out the falling down parts).  Smile

First thing get used to the first cast.   Your weight movement is completely seperate from your body movement.  In fact you are trying to lead the weight around on the first turn.

I would do some first turn drills as a warm up.  This turn is the the one that kills me the most in my throws.  So the first turn needs to be - Swing, Cast/turn, Plant feet.  Ditch the weight behind you.

Where you are breaking form is you are casting (swing up to the side) THEN turning.  This kills all the momentum of the weight and you have NO orbit left.  Re-watch those vids and see that the cast is actually just the start of the turn, the whole body starts to move with the weight.  (To me it actually feels like the weight is moving me, then I know my orbit is working.)

Just watch the first bit of each throw.  They are turning w the cast.  Drilling just that first part will also help you with foot placement because you are checking it.  OH...and that vid has one bad thing for beginner, I still fight this...the first turn SHOULD be slow.  The more you rush it starting out the more bad habits you will learn.

Do like five or six first turn drills each time before you do the full two turns.

(edit - your third attempt was closer at getting the cast and turn at same time, but that is one where you rushed it.)

---------
I have very few social interaction skills, so I just throw stuff instead.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/12 at 5:52am
First of all, I would stick to one spin and really getting used to the motion. You are using an ooooold technique, with the weight swinging past you to the left and then you following. 

After you swing behind your back put the weight out to the right/in front of you, almost at a diagonal of where you are and then spin forward underneath it.

It sounds difficult in words but go on youtube and watch some videos of ryan vierra, larry Brock, craig, Greg Hadley has a lot. Anyone doing WFD and you will see what I mean about the position of the weight.
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/12 at 10:05am
After work I did some first turn practice and a few more throws, as suggested. The whole thing felt a lot smoother when I tried the suggestions I was given. It felt like the weight was pulling me around rather than me trying to force the weight around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV02z06w644&feature=youtu.be
Virtute et labore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/12 at 9:19am
Today I started a 5X5 routine. I'm not sure what my 5 rep max weights are so today's workout was more of an experiment to find out.

Front Squat:
95x5
115x5
195x5
205x5
215x5

Bench Press
95x5
120x5
145x5
165x5
170x4 (no spotter, didn't want to push it)

Power Clean - this was my first time ever doing these
95x5
120x5

Weighted Hyperextensions
10x8
25x8

Pull Ups
3 sets of 10

I'm not sure about the Power Cleans. My left wrist isn't too good, so trying to shelf my arms at the top doesn't really work. I end up in more of a press position.
Virtute et labore.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/12 at 12:17pm
Good man.  I have a similar wrist issue...maybe think about working high pulls?
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/12 at 4:56am
Today was my light day.

Squat
115x5
135x5
185x5
185x5

Military Press
65x5
95x5
115x5
125x2

Sumo DL
135x5
165x5
195x5
225x5

Conventional DL
375x1 - New PR

Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Good man. I have a similar wrist issue...maybe think about working high pulls?

I've never tried those, but I will if it'll give my wrist a break.

Edited by JB Cochran - 2/08/12 at 5:01am
Virtute et labore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/12 at 6:06am
Squat
110x5
135x5
165x5
190x5
220x3
165x8

Bench (Probably my least favorite exercise)
95x5
120x5
140x5
165x5
185x2
140x8

High pulls
75x5
90x5
110x5
115x5 - this only happened with awful form and pushing with the knees

Dips
BWx3 - there was supposed to be 3 sets of 8, but it wasn't happening.

Weight sit-ups
25x8
30x8 (medicine ball toss)
BW roll out x 10
Virtute et labore.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/12 at 6:11am
Yeah man, high pulls can be a tough lift.  See if you can scrounge up some Shawn Baker or Gene Flynn vids.  Better yet, ask Shawn to cameraphone one of his lifting sessions.  Dude has SERIOUS ups.

Good work on the lifts.  Consistent gains.

Steady.
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/13/12 at 10:16am
Squat
110x5
140x5
165x5
195x5
220x5

Dumbbell Bench
45x5
55x5
65x5
75x5
85x3

Barbell Row
55x5
75x5
85x5
100x5
110x5

Tricep Pulldown
100x8
120x8
150x8

Since I hate regular bench press so much I tried DB bench instead. I'm not sure if one is more/less beneficial than the other, but at least it was a chest workout.
Virtute et labore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Cochran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/12 at 6:30am
This workout was supposed to happen yesterday, but it didn't. I just got switched back to night shift, 7 pm to 7 am, and it's really screwing up my workouts, my nutrition, and especially my sleep.

Squat
110x5
140x5
165x5
165x5

Military Press
80x5
105x5
130x5
140x2

DL
135x5