FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Nathan Parker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 46>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

One thing that might be causing your drift issue is moving before the weight has hit zero. You've got some drag on that thing and it's not like you weigh 3 bills. Your body isn't going to compensate for that without some cost. Your cost is lean. Which is why left side foul.

Wait until the implement is moving forward or at least is neutral and you shouldn't have to fight it by leaping left. Sean covers this with the observation that your left foot isn't down yet. You're applying force with 1 leg.

You have just nailed one of the issues I am having from time to time but didn't really know why.  This is why I read everyone's training logs.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 9:16am
these are my three favorite videos for wfd that I watch often (also read: constantly):

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Not from last night, but shows how I get close to fouling.  Most have been over the left line lately.

finally got a chance to watch this.

While getting your left down can never be fast enough, I think this drift here just stems from sprinting late. It's as if you're waiting for the weight to hit its low piont before sprinting. This is fine IF you're low point isn't off to the right (which it is). AS SOON as your left touches you need to be loading it hard and sprinting. Watch the vids I posted above. There is no hesitation or wait: left touches and sprint so hard you're going to pull the handle off the weight.

Craig condones a dreadfully slow cast. Why? So that the weight is moving slower and he has more time to react on it. He's got a sweet 92ft foul with a super slow cast and you'll see as soon as his left is down after that turn it's GO GO GO.

One turn drills will help you with timing and learning to sprint straight. Regardless, anytime you really destroy a sprint, there's a chance you're going to drift left a little. I've found its because after that first turn you're really gearing up for a massive sprint so it takes a tiny bit longer to "load", if that makes any sense. I definitely think it's easier to sprint straight when you're more blocked off in the back, but it's not like you were open in that video either.

When I threw my 90ft lwd at Pleasanton all I was thinking the entire time was GO GO GO GO GO GO GO. I wanted to get as far away from the weight as fast as possible.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 9:27am
Worked on this last night with Al Dargie.  When I nailed it there was a huge difference.  The comments were "that looked effortless" and "you were turning fast".....things I am not often associated with.
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 4:39pm
LWFD x 8-10?

Worked on getting left down faster. The first few throws felt really weird. Found my groove(kinda) around the 5th throw. It feels like I'm learning the event all over again. I didn't feel as fluid as before. All that said, I had big practice PRs the last three throws. 81-84ish. I have no idea if I solved the fouling problem, as I have no idea where my feet go after the first turn.

Will post video later tonight. We'll see.

Oh, and I blew a callous for the first time in three years. Womp womp.

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 11:25pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdJiJUJGZ5k&feature=share&list=UU46bfxOYXBD8AygVbZLIlfQ< id="mac_address" value="" ="">

Still fouling out of the left. Watched video from LY, and I was right down the middle.

Frustrating.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:29am
I think it has to do with pulling instead of pushing on the sprint. It appears as if you're naturally countering the weight and allowing your left shoulder to pull for your sprint instead of turning and driving straight. That's what I mean by slapping the right side of the trig. For me, if I visualize slapping the right side of the trig, it forces me to focus harder on driving straight and pushing the weight instead countering and pulling. Just a thought.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:31am

Pause the video when the weight is at 3:00 during your sprint and look at your body. It's clear that you're driving left instead of driving straight. Where your head is pointing and how your countering hard to the left.

grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:37am
Here's a visual of what Sully is talking about.....
You: Pulling weight, looking left, left shoulder is starting to open to left.  Look at the angle of your body.

Matso: Pushing Weight, Head Forward, Chest Forward, Left arm and Shoulder Not Ripping Left

Hope this helps you improve on those 80+ foot throws........Wacko
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:56am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

I think it has to do with pulling instead of pushing on the sprint. It appears as if you're naturally countering the weight and allowing your left shoulder to pull for your sprint instead of turning and driving straight. That's what I mean by slapping the right side of the trig. For me, if I visualize slapping the right side of the trig, it forces me to focus harder on driving straight and pushing the weight instead countering and pulling. Just a thought.

Yes and Yes.  I was so busy yesterday working on getting my foot down fast that I was forgetting the rest of the advice.  Will do next time.

Thanks!

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 11:58am
Slapping the right side of the trig with the implement, Sully?

And Nate, you're hitting 80, dude. Further than most will ever throw. Take your moment.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Slapping the right side of the trig with the implement, Sully?

Yes. For me this mental cue keeps me driving straight.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 1:04pm
Sean-  thanks for the compliment.  Need to do it when i counts(three throws).  With my schedule, extra throws are hard to come by.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 8:57pm
Bench

255x5,5,5,5,12

Close grip incline speedy

225x3,3,3,3,3

Squat

365x5,5,5,5,11

Step ups 18 in box

135 x 4 sets 5 each leg

Calves x 4evr.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
eddie.brown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddie.brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 9:56pm
I need to jump on your program.  My calves are puny.
Eddie The Brown
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 10:39am
Originally posted by eddie.brown eddie.brown wrote:

I need to jump on your program.  My calves are puny.

I need you squat program.  If you want large calves then talk to Zolk.  I'm merely trying to keep my socks up.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 10:46am
Better calves generally require new parents. 

Extremely close and weird spots while squatting can sometimes prevent growth. 

One or the other is probably responsible. 

ETA:  For srs, walking out squats is the best calf work imo. 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 3:58pm
Push press.
225x5
245x2,2
255x2,2
265x1
285x1
300x fail. PR attempt and nice spot by the floor.

Chin ups BW

Shrugs, HCBs

BW@249

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 7:30pm
The floor is such a bro. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 7:38am
Its not a real bro-spot unless it yelled "ALL YOU!"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 10:53am
I'm 36 today, so why not set a deadlift PR

225x10
315x6
365x5
405x4
455x3
500x2
550x1  a little shaky with the leg, and small hitch, but I picked it up.

This will be the last 1 rep max I attempt the rest of the season with any lift.  I feel I'm stong enough to do what I need to do.  Maintain and work on throws is on the menu now.

Pull dow party(wide, narrow, chin grip)
3x8 each

reverse hypers on fit ball and box jumps.

Brewery tonight

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 10:57am
Happy Birthday Nate.  Gonna rock the DP Belt Buckle to tha' brewery?

Good work with the DL.  You're almost fulsterkr.
The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 11:51am
Happy birthday Nate.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 11:55am
One of my favorite gifs...Tom my droogie...
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 3:55pm
Thanks Dunc and Tom. Been a good day thus far.

40/81 no fouls.

video later
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 8:46pm
That 550 pull is a mighty fine birthday gift. Happy Birthday and nice work.
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/14 at 10:01am
Thanks Sean!

Here's my 28 from Thursday

More throws today.

< id="mac_address" value="" =""> < id="mac_address" value="" ="">
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/14 at 1:56pm
Wanted to get about 10 good throws with the 28. Thumb said FU after about 4.

So I grabbed the hammers and warmed up with 10 winds each side x3

Then 52 tosses the the 16. no blades.

None under 105. Furthest at 115.

Toast.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/14 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Here's my 28 from Thursday

Smoooooooth!
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 8:28pm
Thanks Tom! Working on it.

Bench

265x5,5,5,5,13

close grip incline

225x5,5,5,5,9

I am lowering my % a bit for this phase to eliminated anything grindy. Felt good. Also, I'm liking the close grip incline. It's less stress on my shoulders and activates my tri's better.

dips and more dips
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 46>
  Share Topic