Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Super Masters question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Masters question
    Posted: 7/06/12 at 12:32pm
I've seen the term "Super Masters"  associated with lighter weights before, but the only guy I know who's throwing at 70+ is Vern Alexander and Vern probably would eat a 20 pound weight between two pieces of sourdough, for lunch.  Hold the mayo.     However, we might have a mere mortal who's nearing 70 join our throwing group so I'd like to figure out what the deal is, here.

BTW, anybody who decides to START throwing at 69 years old is not a "mere mortal", IMHO.  They're THE MAN. Period. With Balls.   ...... But I digress.

SO...."Super Masters"...  when does it start, and what are the weights?   i'm thinking 12 pound light hammer, 16 pound heavy...21 pound LWFD and 35 pound HWFD/WOB.  yes, no?
getyoukilt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/12 at 1:45pm
21.5 womens masters heavy could work for super master light. The rest would already be in any good AD's aresenal. Might have to make a sheaf but easy enough. 

For what its worth there were 5 in the 70+ group at MWC this year ( My dad was third, how do I live up to that- awesome !). Dean Ross will be eligible in november. I have heard of a few others. There was an 81 year old at a game I did many years ago. I think you can put together a good group depending on location.
"     " - Harpo Marx
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/12 at 1:52pm
Do we really need MORE classes or different kinds of implements? I say HELL NO.

But if you insist on doing this wouldn't it be better to simply drop some events? Instead of creating a new HWFD implement why not just drop the event and have them only throw LWFD.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
rogerws76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerws76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/12 at 4:48pm
I don't know about this.  Personally, when I get to be 70, I'd still like a shot at all those records Vern's been setting  ... IF  ... I'm still alive! Tongue
Roger
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/12 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

But if you insist on doing this wouldn't it be better to simply drop some events? Instead of creating a new HWFD implement why not just drop the event and have them only throw LWFD.

Just because someone is older doesn't mean they don't want to throw the same number of events the rest of us throw. What or who does it hurt to allow someone to throw a lighter weight when they reach that advanced of an age?

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/07/12 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

I feel this would be the best solution. No 42 for distance and no heavy hammer period.
Old Celt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/12 at 10:34am
The Super (or Senior) Masters Class was started at Capital District Games in New York about 10 years ago. The idea was to get some of the Legends of the Games to throw again. Such as Ed McComas, Jim Pauli and others. The age limit is 60+ and the weights are 20/21# LWD, 35# HWD and WOB, 12# and 16# hammers, 14# sheaf, and 12# stone. Capital District Games and Southern Maryland Celtic Festival are still running the class.
Malcolm Doying (The Old Celt)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic