FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

QC Games Registration is Open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QC Games Registration is Open
    Posted: 8/14/12 at 10:35pm
What: Multi division 9 event Heavy Athletics Competition
Where: Centennial Park, Davenport Iowa
When: Sat, Sept 15 starting at 9:15 am
Cost: $30
Registration can be made from:
https://sites.google.com/site/iowahighlandgames/qc-games

additional information can also be found on that web page.

Edited by McSanta - 8/16/12 at 6:47pm
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/12 at 11:24pm
The web page says check in is at 8:30 and throwing starts at 9:15.  Please clarify the difference from what you've posted above: "starting at 9:00 a.m.".
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 7:25pm
if your ready to start at 9:00 then you will be ready to start at 9:15
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/12 at 7:30pm
I stopped by Blue Cat Brew Pub for a beer.  Dan Cleveland, owner, brew master, and Highland Games thrower, again agreed to trade a 1/2 barrel of his Scottish Terrier Beer for registrations,

So 1/2 barrel of beer will be taped at the end of the event.

Scottish Terrier is a beer he brews every year in honor of the Games.  It his Scottish Ale.
Mark McVey

McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 6:55pm
We Need your registration paid For  OR at least need people signed up by the Sept 2 +/- a day or two,
to get T-shirt Order in; to order food, water, Gatorade,  ... Judges, ... all the fun stuff of running an event
My co -AD is retiring w/ some of the responsibilities falling on me.
Mark McVey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/12 at 10:09pm
My check is in the mail!  This is a great games!
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
RoadWarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/12 at 9:53pm
Can we throw the 22' caber this year?
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/12 at 10:43pm
I thought about rounding the bottom of the pole and bringing it out for fun.  You may get splinters from this pole.  We will see if I have time.

The QC games is part of a marketing campaign called the East West River Fest.  It combines several festivals, Orchestra Concert and art fairs on the weekend before the games and the weekend of the games (as well as the days in between).  The point of this is for those coming out of town, the festival put together a program of things going on which can be viewed here: http://www.visitquadcities.com/ewrf/program.pdf
Mark McVey

McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/12 at 12:41am
My  Cabers for the big boys...

Sir Charles -- 16'1", taper factor 84%, 100 lbs, Caber score of 756

Ancient Athletics Caber -- 16'1", taper factor 84%, 125 lbs, Caber score of 927 (used at waterloo and QC games last yr)

Queen Vicki
-- 17' 10", taper factor 87%, 116 lbs, Caber score of 989 (used at waterloo)  -- It was used once in competition, and has not been turned

Tall Scott
--- 19'0", taper factor 86%, 120 lbs, Caber score of 962 (used at waterloo) -- I think only Nathan and Daniel McKim has turned it

Master Callenge Caber -- Big D --17'6" long, taper factor 84%, 115 lbs, Caber score of 932 --- Sorry, this is for the Masters, but if  Isaac wants another shot at it, he can.... Nathan, Emily, ... ??

I got one caber that only two people have turned, another that has not been turned, and you want a 22' caber????? ... I am sorry, I forgot that I cut 2' off of it this summer ....  IF I ROUND THE END,   20', taper factor of 86%, 95#,  caber score 899 

Wilt  is still around but will be trimmed down -- 20' taper factor 60%, 115lbs caber score 769 -- An easy turn for such a long caber --- It is to spindly and will be cut down to smaller caber to avoid breaking and ruining it -- but it is cool to see a 20' stick being turned as Jeff Armstrong and others did the last time I brought it out    

Mark McVey

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/12 at 12:55am
Taper factor?
The man in the arena.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/12 at 8:30am
Taper factor - a ratio .... Length of top to balance point divided by length from balance point to handle

So a taper of 100% is balanced in the middle

If I recall correctly, my Colorado lodge pine barn poles average out in the mid 80's well those Missouri red cedars average out in the 70's. -- really no surprise there

So Wilt has like a fat top and a skinny handle ... The kind that will cause a break if dropped about 3 to 4 feet up from the handle
Mark McVey

Tim Pinkerton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Pinkerton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/12 at 9:08am
Originally posted by McSanta McSanta wrote:

My  Cabers for the big boys...

Sir Charles -- 16'1", taper factor 84%, 100 lbs, Caber score of 756

Ancient Athletics Caber -- 16'1", taper factor 84%, 125 lbs, Caber score of 927 (used at waterloo and QC games last yr)

Queen Vicki
-- 17' 10", taper factor 87%, 116 lbs, Caber score of 989 (used at waterloo)  -- It was used once in competition, and has not been turned

Tall Scott
--- 19'0", taper factor 86%, 120 lbs, Caber score of 962 (used at waterloo) -- I think only Nathan and Daniel McKim has turned it

Master Callenge Caber -- Big D --17'6" long, taper factor 84%, 115 lbs, Caber score of 932 --- Sorry, this is for the Masters, but if  Isaac wants another shot at it, he can.... Nathan, Emily, ... ??

I got one caber that only two people have turned, another that has not been turned, and you want a 22' caber????? ... I am sorry, I forgot that I cut 2' off of it this summer ....  IF I ROUND THE END,   20', taper factor of 86%, 95#,  caber score 899 

Wilt  is still around but will be trimmed down -- 20' taper factor 60%, 115lbs caber score 769 -- An easy turn for such a long caber --- It is to spindly and will be cut down to smaller caber to avoid breaking and ruining it -- but it is cool to see a 20' stick being turned as Jeff Armstrong and others did the last time I brought it out    

I am...intrigued.  Looks like fun.
"Big ain't Strong...Strong is Strong."
Visit our training page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Get-U-Fit-Training-Systems/ 119414814828174
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/12 at 9:11pm
Publicity is starting in the local newspaper and other printed press (usually get coverage after the fact so this is a good sign.  Ihe link is to a free magazine distributed in resturants and other entertainment sites.  It appeared in yesterdays paper.

As PR to get people to come out, its good but I wish they went with the Lightweight National Championship angle rather than the cross training of local college throwers.  Any press is good press.

Also had a TV station go out to Kris Davis house when he was running a practice and do filming and interviews that will be aired on the most watched local afternoon community news and interest program.  The reported tried some fo the events and will be doing the narative for the peice.  So if you ranked throwers who are planning on coming register, I can give him talkign points about who is coming ... they will just use the rankings, but talking points non the less ... good for a sports crazy area. 

Mark McVey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/12 at 11:28pm
Bump!
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/12 at 9:20pm
If you plan on coming, please get your registratino in as I need to get the T-Shirt order in next week

Register here: 

Mark McVey

McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/12 at 9:47am
Looks like:
* I can split Masters into 40-49 and 50+
* Women and B's will throw in the same flight unless there is an increase in registration in the next few days

Wednesday, Sept 5, is the cutoff day to guarantee a t-shirt -- design is below

Mark McVey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/12 at 10:15am
I would definitely like a shot at a 22' caber!
Road Warrior View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/12 at 12:10pm
Sorry to be a bother, but is it possible to post the other Divisions in the results. please.  would like to0 get my totals for training log.Big smile
The only thing I have to prove is that I'm not affraid to TRY !
K-Tron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Tron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/12 at 12:47pm
Thanks again Santa for orchestrating another great games! Also, a big shout out to Rebecca Yoder as a 1st time judge of the ladies' division. As always, great competition and fun. Who knew a highland games competition is a great way to get rid of the flu :o]
Katie Steingraeber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/12 at 7:33pm
Thanks to Mark, Merl, Chuck and the crew for another awesome competition.  This always one of my favorite competitions of the year.  Great field and lots of great sponsors.  And someone made a whole slew of delicious cookies.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/12 at 2:47pm
+1 to everyone expressing their thanks for such a GREAT games!  Things ran quick and smoothly. 

Big thank you to Rebecca Yoder for her dual-hatted role as judge and thrower in the women's groups!  And thanks to Isaac Burchett for helping us with the caber as our last event of the day!

Sadly, Mark presented a well-deserved plaque to Chuck and Vicki Teas as they retire from Highland Games.  I for one will miss them a lot!!!!

And the cookies were GREAT (especially the ones with the M&Ms). 
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Yoder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/12 at 3:12pm
Thanks K-tron and Sammy! Katie, hope you're feeling better.
It was good seeing everyone again. :-)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic