Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Year 18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Year 18
    Posted: 11/05/12 at 10:56am
Took advantage of the time change to drag my carcass into the gym this morning before work. My first time back in ~ 8 weeks, boy am I out of shape. I usually take a month or two off after my last comp, but all that Halloween candy and pumpkin beer (LOVE that stuff!) has been taking a toll.

My plan is to do a bunch of conditioning/bodybuilding stuff over the next few months, mostly light weight w/ higher reps. Today was a circuit of wide grip DLs + high pulls + jerks + front squats + OH presses. 8 reps of each with 135#, repeat until you can't (I did 4).

I was pretty happy with my season overall. I had a few big throws, matched my #2 lifetime best in the light hammer, was pretty consistent in the stone and the caber, and competed at my 10th Celtic Classic. It's weird being one of the oldest guys on the circuit, and its sad not to be throwing with HBIII, Ryan and some of the other athletes I "grew up" with. But I'm still enjoying the heck out of being on the field with my buddies old and new.

Here's to next year!

Edited by Mr. Natural - 8/21/18 at 12:20pm
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/12 at 11:04am
Another great log title!

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/12 at 8:55am

Managed to stay up way too late watching the returns last night. Hooray for Comrade Obama! Mandatory abortions for all, let the redistributing begin!

Full disclosure: I actually voted for the Green party, in honor of Myles.

Anyway, it was back to the YMCA this morning for day two of the great de-fattening. Four sets of a DL/front squats/push press complex, 8 reps of each, plus some assistance stuff. Even did some curls in the squat rack - that's good, right? Shocked
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/12 at 11:30am
Being that one of the best arenas has opened in your backyard..you're going to support the Nets right?
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/12 at 1:30pm
The place is great, less than a mile from my house. But c'mon, the Nets will always be from Jersey!
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/12 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Mr. Natural Mr. Natural wrote:

The place is great, less than a mile from my house. But c'mon, the Nets will always be from Jersey!

true story.

arent you also getting some amazing soccer stadium back in town too?
jammin on the one.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/12 at 8:46am
Update: I just discovered that I'm a huge fan of the Brooklynettes.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/12 at 7:58am
Easy here on the board there liberal lips.  Will send you a new photo later so you can see what is on the menu for the weekend.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/12 at 1:54pm
Had a free hour over the weekend, so I managed to get in a quick snatch complex. Did 5 sets of 6, pop-and-drop Hungarian hammer thrower style. Then it was some pec deck action to work on the beach muscles (I have been to the beach once, despite my glow in the dark complexion).

Hypothetical question: if a cute girl with a nose ring and short shorts starts doing power cleans right next to you, do you:
(a) complement her technique and ask her what sport she does;
(b) offer constructive criticism about triple extension and sticking her butt out more; or
(c) keep your mouth shut and go home to your loving wife?
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/12 at 2:26pm
C
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/12 at 2:30pm
Hey Dave kingsboro college? What kind of neighborhood?any good burger/ beer joints around? Daughter has a ball game next week11/24 so will be in crooklyn - more familiar with manhattan joints- just wondering and let me know if you and the misses want to see a Bway play in the new year. I know someone in Big Fish wink wink( coming in 2013 spring)
JUST BRING IT /

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/12 at 3:03pm
A is probably the correct answer.  

B is just a no-no for anyone.  Never offer unsolicited advice in the gym.  Ever.  

C is a weird two parter.  I mean the second part is obv, but I'm not sure how talking to a random person at the gym constitutes anything other than that.  
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/12 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Hey Dave kingsboro college? What kind of neighborhood?any good burger/ beer joints around?

Nope, Bed-Stuy. We're out of town that wknd but you should check out Junior's, or head over to Brighton Beach for some russian noshes.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/12 at 9:22pm
Been to juniors...Brighton beach scares me..Terris chiro had a mail order bride from there he used to tell us storys bat the Russian mob hunting his scientist dad ( her chiro is a hoot...went to school with dr Ken and was a chiro for us Olympic lifting team when Tommy kono was coaching)
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/12 at 8:19am
Never give unsolicited advice, that is the road to disaster every time.  Had a guy cleaning while standing on two bosu balls at my gym the other day and clearly it was not working at building any muscle for him, just sat there and enjoyed the show w my mouth shut.  I wish I had Don w me at the time, as the guy was from Boston.  Would love to have had Don's commentary on the show.   
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/12 at 6:02pm
Back in 1990 was walking into juniors while a crackhead who had rifled the register was trying to make his escape when myself and 2 6-4 bookends from the nypd hockey team were walking in the door/ he quickly met the floor with his face and me the rookie in the plainclothes unit got stuck with the arrest so while I had 5 hours of paperwork and processing my partners were eating like kings in juniors..crap...oh well went the next were it was all good
JUST BRING IT /

will barron View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '03, '04, '07, '08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/12 at 12:57pm
update needed ya pansy.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/12 at 2:11pm
LOL, black pot kettle-caller. Too busy/lazy/drunk to work out this week. Thinking I might shut it down until Thanksgiving and focus on my primary objective for the Holidays.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/12 at 8:55am
Well I guess I can be a drunk AND an athlete at the same time, just like I was in college (and that 18 year stretch just after college). Just hope that my liver holds together. You hear me liver, hold together!
Tuesday: Hammer snatch complex, 5x6. Strict press, 5x5.
Thursday: One block sprintervals, all the way to the gym and back, plus some pec deck.
Sunday: Throwing! Stone, 1-spin 28#, 28# hammer. Nothing major, but it felt great to be back outside.
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/12 at 9:24am
this?

jammin on the one.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/12 at 9:37am
Recap of the last two weeks: intermittant lifting of wimpy weights, large doses of overeating. Also tried Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey - better than I thought it would be, but think I'll stick to 101 and Old Overfelt.

On Saturday I competed in the Staples High School Barron Brothers Throwdown Classic, a semi-recurring-maybe-if-we-feel-like-it grudge match between all of the best (or worst) throwers visiting their parents' house who happen to not be too drunk at the time. Bragging rights are hyooge, and I'm happy to say that I edged out the win in three out of five events. The Red Barron got me in the braemar and open stone, I got him back in the 1-spin 28#, 2-spin 28# and 28# hammer.

I also managed to thoroughly outdrink him that night - poor little guy can't hold his Overfelt!
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/12 at 12:07pm

You drink? 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/12 at 1:28pm
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/12 at 2:15pm
Gravitating to the good hooch
JUST BRING IT /

grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/12 at 9:30am
I had to share a dream I had with you and Zolk in it last night!!!

I ran into you guys in a bar and both of you had long flowing mullets that extended down to mid shoulder length!!!  Yours was red and a little bushy but had a nice flow.  Zolks was tight and curly.  Aka Billy Ray Cyrus.  You were both wearing leather vests and working on a career as a tag team in the WWE!!  Awesome dream......
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/12 at 10:10am
I would totally quit my job and leave my family to do this. Zolk, you in?
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/12 at 10:27am
It was something like this:

and

So beautiful......

Edited by grasshopper - 12/04/12 at 11:06am
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/13 at 9:44am
Nothing much to report. Been throwing when I can, but it's been either too cold or too muddy to get a lot of quality reps in. Today I got in and did some 17/20 Hammer pulls and speed deads, trying to remember what what being fast feels like (I've given up on ever feeling strong).
Working on my outfit for Arnold, I'm thinking genie pants are a given. Anybody know if they still make those inflatable Incredible Hulk muscles?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/13 at 11:43am
Don't forget to wear a tank top with those pants. 

Have you been to the Arnold before?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/13 at 12:17pm

Nope, first time. You and Kara going?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic