FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Sean Urquhart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 32>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by SeanUrq SeanUrq wrote:

Monday - 4/14/14

Duncan - Thanx but I've got a lot of work to do if I'm gonna catch up with you and Parker in the weights

I'm going to choke you. Your form is spot on and I can't not foul right now. Nobody is sleeping on you. Especially not me.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 9:26pm
"Duncan - Thanx but I've got a lot of work to do if I'm gonna catch up with you and Parker in the weights"

Said no one ever. You're not fooling me Sean...
The man in the arena.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 5:22pm
Tuesday - 4/15/14

Jake - Thanx. Technique felt much better. Its strange that sometimes if I take some time away from practicing an event, it feels sooo much better when I come back to it a week or so later. And faster??? You're like the teacher that just keeps giving homework. Ugghhhhh - lol LOL

Duncan & Nate - You're both throwing 10+ over what I'm throwing in pretty much everything. If this is your idea of mind games you both are evil evil men Wink

Upper Lifting

Snow = no throwing

OHP
   250 x 3 x 1
   220 x 6, 5, 5, 4

Close Grip Bench
   315 x 5, 5, 4

Weighted Chins
   +60 x 5 x 5
   BW x 3 x 12

Fall-Outs - 3 sets
Curls - 2 sets
Upper Back - 2 sets

Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 8:59pm
Thursday - 4/17/14

Lower Lifting and WOB/Stones

Speed SSB Squat w. Chains
   205 x 2
   225 x 2
   240 x 2
   255 x 6 x 2

Snatch from high blocks
   worked up to 225 x 3 x 2

Speed Pulls w/ Shrug (snatch grip)
   315 x 5 x 3

WOB
   Righty x 6
   Lefty x 6

Stones
   Standing #16 x 6
        *Best @ 47' - womp womp
   Glide #16 x 8
        *Everything over 49'...3 @ 51+.

Standing felt blahhh. Numbers were extra blahhh.

Glide felt slow and awkward but when I went to measure my throws, I was pleasantly surprised. Although the glide felt kinda ugly I must have been hitting the correct positions b/c I shouldn't have thrown that far.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/14 at 6:33pm
Saturday - 4/19/14

Upper Lifting and Stuff

Push Press
   285 x 1
   300 x 1
   315 x 1
   330 x 1
   340 x 1 PR!!!

Speed Incline Bench w. Chains (+60 at top)
   150 x 8 x 3

DB Rows
   100 x 65 total reps between sets of bench

WOB x 8
   *Something finally felt right.

Light Hammer x 15
   *Started nice and slow to work on some things. Sped up as practice went on.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/14 at 6:40pm
When do u compete again Big Swole?
The man in the arena.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/14 at 11:15am
Man that Push Press looked easy! Congrats on the PR!
Highland Games 40+ Masters Competitor &
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Purple Belt
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 4:02pm
Duncan - May is getting a little crazy. I had a weekend open up so I just signed up for Bridgeport, WV on 5/3. I'm flying to Albany and then back to Ohio for Beltane (Akron, OH) on 5/18. That will be a doozy. I'm going to a gradation on Saturday the 17th, flying out at 5:30 in the morning on Sunday the 18th, and then driving straight from the airport to the game. And then I have Alma, MI on the 25th. I've never gone to Bridgeport or Alma so it should be fun. 

Eric - Thanx. I realized I hadn't push pressed in about a month so I wanted to see where I was. 

Sunday - 4/20/14

#22 Stone
   Toes Facing x 5 (best 38')
   Standing with Reverse x 5 (best 41')
   Glide x 5 (best 42') - This is in preparation for the 18 lbs open stone at Alma, MI

#16 stone
   Glide x 8 (best 50')

Light Hammer Winds x 15

Monday - 4/21/14

HWFD
   3 Warm-Ups
   Full x 5 (best 39' - everything over 37' consistently the last few practices)

LWFD
   3 Warm-Ups
   Full x 5 (best 76' x 2 - Practice PR...Average was 74+ which is an improvement)

Glide/Stop Drill (throw at 50%) x 10

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 4:43pm
Wait Sean...are you going to Albany on the 10th???

I'LL BE THERE!!!! 

More incentive 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Wait Sean...are you going to Albany on the 10th???

I'LL BE THERE!!!! 

More incentive 

+1

And I'll be there.

Even MORE incentive.

This will be fun.  You'll be in our backyaaaard and some glorious ball busting will ensue.  I just wish Waddell was going to be there as he can always unleash an out-of-nowhere perfect zinger.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 5:45pm
Right!? But seriously, wtf Waddell??

It's that dang'd "family" again, isn't it? Always getting in the way of broing out. 

But SUPER seriously, I miss you. And you, Roberto. We shall reunite....soon
Jeff Kaste

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 7:49pm
Can't wait to see what happens when you actually get to let loose a bit Sean.
The man in the arena.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 8:32pm
Nice PR on the push press

Also, the offer still stands for crashing at my place for Alma.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 9:24pm
I wish I was going to Albany. I messaged JVG months ago b/c I've wanted to go to Albany for quite some time. Unfortunately its just not in the cards. I'll be there on the 17th for my sister-n-law's graduation from Albany College of Pharmacy. The 10th is Mother's Day weekend and its the first for my wife so I want to make sure its something special. Although she's not super into all that sentimental crap, she might be a little upset if I miss out. She's okay with me going to Bridgeport on the 3rd when her birthday is the 2nd so that was pretty cool. 

Sorry Duncan. I'm a little on the reserved/quiet end but I'm sure with some liquid refreshments after a game it'd be all good. I for one need a little more encouragement. 

Thanx Nate. I'm still considering crashing at your place. Originally it was going to be a family trip to Detroit to visit my grandparents but now that seems to have fallen through. I'll let you know soon. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 6:15am
Booo! I understand how it goes though. Good luck this May, man! Hope I see you around!
Jeff Kaste

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:24am
No rush
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:31am
"Sorry Duncan. I'm a little on the reserved/quiet end but I'm sure with some liquid refreshments after a game it'd be all good. I for one need a little more encouragement. "

Not what I meant Big Swole...I want to see what happens when you are powered up and throwing in good conditions!
The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 11:56am
big push press
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 7:16pm
Duncan - Did you feel that??? I'm sure the breeze reached you all the way in Tx as your comment clearly went over my head - lol. I think I can start hitting some bigger numbers once my confidence comes back and I learn how to throw. 

Sully - Thanx. I'm slowly adding weight. I think I've only increased about 20 lbs in the past year on the push press. Slow and steady.

Tuesday - 4/22/14

Upper Lifting

OHP
   255 x 2
   210 x 4 x 6

Close Grip Bench (used a small piece of carpet on my chest and my shoulders felt AMAZING)
   275 x 3
   315 x 3
   330 x 3
   345 x 2 

Fat Rope Chins
   +35 x 6 x 6

Curls - 2 sets
Upper Back - 2 sets

Glide Footwork x 20
Sheaf x 10

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 5:59pm
Wednesday - 4/23/14

Vey short on time so I flew this pretty quickly.

Lower Lifting

Front Squat
   315 x 2
   345 x 2
   375 x 2
   405 x 2

Speed Pulls w/ shrug (snatch grip)
   345 x 5 x 3

RDL
   225 x 3 x 8

Landmine - 3 sets

Hammer Winds between sets

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 6:09pm
Thursday - 4/24/14

Felt kinda blah but got the work in.

Throwing

#16 Stone - Toes Facing x 6

#16 Stone - Standing with Reverse x 8 (47' x a few)
        *For whatever reason, my new standing style doesn't seem very productive when I use my #16 stone. When I throw the #22 with the new style there is a significant improvement from before. Not sure why the #22 feels better than the #16 with this different style.

#16 Stone - Glide x 12 (50+ x a handful)
        *Really focused on landing in the power position with my left and right staggered so I could open my hips. When I did this correctly it was evident in my throws.

LWFD x 10 (avg 74' - 2 @76')
        *Started around 60% effort with focus on positions and noticed that my distances were pretty decent. Added a little gas and I hit a few around 76'. Once I really put forth effort the distances began to decrease. The comment that farther throws feel effortless was evident today.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 6:23pm
My guess about the 16# stone is you're not pushing it hard enough for long enough. With a heavier stone you have to be actively aggressive with the pushing even before you begin the throw. 

Try actively focusing on pressing it into your neck hard throughout the entire stand/glide. You'll feel the difference in your flick. It screws up less with more pressure.

Of course this could just be me, but yeah my advice. 
Jeff Kaste

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/14 at 8:46pm
Jeff - Thanx for the advice. Anytime I can reduce the amount of times I screw up is a good thing. I had done that in the past but have gotten lazy over time. I never thought it would have affected my standing throws with a lighter stone but it makes sense. I'll give it a go next time I throw the 16 from the power position.

Saturday - 4/26/14

Upper Lifting and Practice

Push Press
   275 x 1
   300 x 1
   325 x 1
   275 x 5 x 3 (very very minimal leg drive - nice and fast)
      *I really liked the down sets with minimal leg drive - I felt it more as an upper body movement unlike my normal push press with involves quite a bit of legs. 

DB Rows
   100 x 6 x 10

Fall-Outs x 3 sets
Upper Back x 2 sets

Stones
   #22 Standing Toes Facing x 5
   #22 Standing with Reverse x 6-8
   #16 Glide x 10

Light Hammer Winds x bunches
   *Did a few winds without blades and things felt really good. Put on the blades and everything just completely fell apart. This was not fun. 

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 4:25pm
Sunday - 4/27/14

Will be competing at Bridgeport, WV next weekend. Thinking about taking this week a little lighter than normal. I'm in search of some PR's...its been too long.

Lower Lifting and WOB

Speed SSB Squat (with chains +60 at top)
   205 x 2
   225 x 2
   245 x 2
   265 x 2
   285 x 5 x 2

Snatch High Pulls (PVC @ nose height - 1 rep mid shin/ 2 reps knee)
   worked up to 225 x 3

Trap Bar Jump Shrugs
   225 x 3
   250 x 3
   275 x 3
   300 x 3 x 3

Landmine
GHR
WOB

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 6:20pm
Good luck! Slay some of those PRs!
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 7:39pm
Same goes for you man. You've set the PR bar pretty high. Anything under 3-4 is no bueno.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 5:31pm
Monday - 4/28/14

Raining all day = no practice

Did a few drills goofing around in my family room and my son thought it was the funniest thing on earth. He couldn't stop laughing.

http://youtu.be/OyJ46b2nzI4

Tuesday - 4/29/14

Rained all day but finally quit in the afternoon. Got in some weights.

Upper Lifting - so proud of myself...I kept everything under 80%

Close Grip Bench
   275 x 4 x 3 (fast)

Speed Incline with Chains
   115 x 6 x 3

Fat Rope Rows
   BW x 6 x 10

Upper Back
Curls

HWFD x 12
LWFD x 6

56 felt pretty bad. All of my distances were about 2 feet under normal. 28 felt right on. We'll see what Saturday holds.

Tomorrow will be lower lifting (under 80% again I hope), stones, hammer and then resting until WV.

TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by SeanUrq SeanUrq wrote:

Monday - 4/28/14
Did a few drills goofing around in my family room and my son thought it was the funniest thing on earth. He couldn't stop laughing.

That is made of 100% awesome.  Thumbs Up
Aim high. Stay hungry.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/14 at 6:39pm
Thanks Tom. He went on like that all night. I kept pretending to play all sorts of sports and he was just cracking up the entire time. 

Wednesday - 4/30/14

Keep things nice and fast today. 

Lower Lifting n' Stuff

Front Squat (75%)
   315 x 6 x 2 

Clean Grip Snatch
   Worked up to 205 x 3

Step-Ups
RDL
Fall-Outs

Sheaf x 8
Hammer Winds (stupid rain) x bunches
Glide/Stop Drill x bunches

Now for some rest before Bridgeport. I've never been to this comp but I always enjoy MASA games so it should be a good time.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/14 at 8:37pm
Saturday - 5/3/14

North Central West Virginia Scottish Festival - Bridgeport, WV

First time to these games and hopefully the first of many. Had a fun day and always a pleasure to throw with the MASA crowd.

Took 1st overall. 3 Personal Records and 4 Field Records (although I can't recall which event was the fourth).

Braemar (36') - The judge was very strict that our feet could not move at all. We had to set them and then get in the power position. Any foot movement was a foul. It was tough compared to how I normally throw (step back and then go) but she was fair to all athletes. 

Open Stone (PR/FR - 50'2'') - Had a really good feel on this stone. I've gone 48' with this stone before so I knew it was possible. Tried for a few extras but they were all 49+. 

HWFD (FR - 37'4'') - I expected more in this event but my feet weren't turning. I wore new spikes and with the long grass, I was sssslllooooowwwww. Next games I'll be going for 1/4'' spikes to see if that helps.

LWFD (FR - 74'5'') - Again, I would have liked better numbers but this is good for how I've thrown so far this season. I know some bigger numbers will come in the next few months.

HH (PR - 92'6'') - Wow, not sure where this came from but I was happy. Still have lots of work to do.

LH - (108+) - I've got a real problem with the LH compared to the HH. From my 2nd to 3rd wind, I noticed that the speed I had built slowed down considerably to maintain control. This happened on every attempt and everyone noticed. If I can work backwards or maintain control, I'll eventually hit some better numbers.

Caber 17' 130 lbs (3 turns - best of 12:00) - It was the same big boy from Ohio last year, where I only managed one turn at 9 o'clock. This time I managed 3 turns with my worst being 11:00. I was very happy with this. 

Sheaf #16 (27') - Ohhhhh the frustration. Again, I am capable of so much more. Missed welllllll above 30' but outside each time. After everyone was done, I took one shot at 31'. I opened my stance slightly and bam; the bag flew well over the bar and threw the uprights. This needs to stop happening.

WOB (PR - 14'6'') - I have been trying to mimic how my left arm feels during practice with my right arm. It worked, as I finally passed 14' in what seems like an eternity. I took three throws at 15' and destroyed the bar on the way up each time. The bar is metal and welded to the support beam so there is not much give. I hit the bar 3 times and pushed it back each time. I easily had the height. This is another event much like sheaf where I gotta do it when it counts. You only get points if you can do it on game day. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 32>
  Share Topic