Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Sean Urquhart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/14 at 9:44pm
Monday - 7/21/14

Upper Lifting/ Hammer/ Stones

OHP
   240 x 5

Incline Bench
   285 x 4
   135 + Chains x 5 x 3 (speed)

Rows
   4 x 10

Upper Back
   4 x 10

#16 Stone
   Glide/Stop Drill x 5
   Glide x 15+(best @ 52')
      *Been watching a lot of vids of Sean Betz. I need to get my left leg down sooner and work on opening up where my feet land so I'm not so closed off in the power position.

Hammer Winds x bunches between sets

Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/14 at 10:16pm
Tuesday - 7/22/14

Lower Lifting/ Hammer/ LWFD/ WOB

Front Squat
   395 x 1
   255 x 4 x 3

Jump Squat
   115 x 4 x 3

Clean Grip Snatch
   185 x 3
   200 x 2
   215 x 1
   225 x 1 (slight lockout at top)

GHR
   3 x 8

Plank x bunches

Hammer x winds between sets 
WOB x 8
LWFD x 15+

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/14 at 8:33pm
Wednesday - 7/23/14

HWFD x 10
LWFD x 5
Hammer Winds
Landmine
Light Hamstring stuff

Thursday - 7/24/14

Upper Lifting and Stones

Push Press
   315 x 3 (PR??? maybe)
   255 x 3 x 3 (speed)

Chins
   BW x 4 x 12

Incline DB Press
   80 x 20

Upper Back
   4 x 10

Planks

#16 Stone
   Standing No Reverse x 5
   Standing w/ Reverse x 5
   Glide x 10

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/14 at 8:39pm
Saturday - 7/26/14

Lower Lifting 

Front Squat
   400 x 1
   260 x 5 x 3 (speed)

Trap Bar Jump Shrugs
   225 x 3
   250 x 3
   275 x 3
   300 x 3 x 3

RDL
   4 x 10

Planks

Hammer Winds x between sets

Sheaf x 12

Sunday - 7/27/14

HWFD x 10
LWFD x 6

Have Dublin Irish Festival next weekend. Gonna hit the gym two more times and practice through Wednesday. 

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 2:14pm
Monday - 7/28/14

Found a few new stones. Weighed them when I got home. Everything from 14.3 to 16. Unfortunately, the stone that I like the best is the little one. 

Stones
   Facing x 5
   Standing x 5
   Glide/Stop Drill x 10
   Glide x 15+
      Best throw was 55+ using the itty bitty stone (14.3 lbs)

Hammer Winds x bunches

Tuesday - 7/29/14

Got in a very quick and early lift before driving all day with my wife. I took her to see Michael Buble. He is soooooo dreamy - lol. 

Upper Lifting

OHP
   Worked up to 240 x 1

Incline Bench
   Worked up to 275 x 1
   185 x 4 x 3 (speed)

Meadows Rows
   120 x 3 x 10
      *Been holding the bar on the collar during rows to help with grip strength.

Upper Back 
Landmine
Hammer Winds

Wednesday - 7/30/14

Lifted in a commercial gym (same place I used to lift about 4 years ago). I was able to talk the guy at the front desk into letting me skip the $10/day charge and instead he gave me two weeks free. 

I also witnessed a personal trainer performing inverted leg presses while laying on the floor in the smith machine. I asked if he wanted to squat with me in the rack and he said front squats are just too hard. He compared front squats to lunges and preferred to do neither. 

Lower Lifting

Front Squat
   Worked up to a quick 405 x 1

Clean Grip Snatch
   185 x 3
   205 x 3
   220 x 2

RDL
   255 x 3 x 5 (speedy)

WFD Line drills and hammer winds in the drive way.

Resting until Dublin Irish Festival on Saturday. 

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/14 at 10:19pm
Saturday - 8/2/14

Dublin Irish Festival

1st Overall Am A's

Despite getting first, I had the lowest performing day of the entire season. I really had no excuses.

Open Stone - It took all my might to squeek out a 47'. I've gone over 50' with this stone multiple times. My second attempt would have been my best but the stone flew off my fingers and there were some nasty popping sounds that went with it. 

HWFD - This was very sad. No pop even though I felt strong and fast. It took extras just to hit 37'. I kept hoping that something would click and I'd have a big throw but it never came.

LWFD -  Same as above. Took extras just to hit 72'.

HH - My first attempt was probably my best. However, I hit the ground on the release and then the hammer hit the side of the cage as it entered the field. It still went 85' so I think it may have actually been a decent throw had that all not happened. Ended up with 90'.

Caber - Big ugly stick. Going into the third round, Jason Thomas and myself were the only ones to get a turn. By the end of the third round, Boom Marble and Juice Baker both managed a clutch turn to knock me down to fourth. 

WOB - Cleared 15' on my third attempt. This is the 3rd or 4th time this season it has taken me 3 attempts to clear 15'.  This needs to be fixed.

Sheaf - The only highlight of my day. Cleared 32' (which is my pr) on my first attempt. I also watched Braidy Miller clear 39' with the #16 sheaf. He is quite the manimal.

Next up is Am Champs in Minnesota. Plan is to iron out some technique issues, lighten the weights a bit, and maybe rest one more day than usual before the comp.

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 8:03am
Originally posted by SeanUrq SeanUrq wrote:

Plan is to iron out some technique issues, lighten the weights a bit, and maybe rest one more day than usual before the comp.

THIS!! 

I hardly do anything the week of a games and if I do it's light, low on volume and before Wednesday. 

This games is the motivation you need to show up big at Am Champs. Good luck man!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 8:20am
Do it BIG!
The man in the arena.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 10:12pm
Jeff - I'm thinking I'll be using your game plan next week. Normally I train heavy (90%+) up to Wednesday with reduced volume and I rest on Thursday/Friday. I've always done it that way. But this past weekend the events were horrible. 

Duncan - I'm just trying to hang with the big dogs.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 10:16pm
Sunday - 8/3/14

Helped a buddy move for most of the day. Elevator was out of service. No bueno.

Monday - 8/4/14

Legs felt like jello for most of today.

OHP
   225 x 5
   185 x 2 x 3
   165 x 2 x 3

SSB Squat
   315 x 3
   340 x 3
   365 x 3
   225 x 3 x 3 (paused in bottom position - quick on way up)

RDL
   225 x 3 x 10

Chins 
   +25 x 3 x 10

Sheaf x 15

Glide/Stop Drill x 15
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/14 at 9:11pm
Tuesday - 8/5/14

HWFD x 10ish
LWFD x 10ish

Wednesday - 8/6/14

Close Grip Bench (first rep paused)
   325 x 2 x 3
   225 x 3 x 3 (speed)

Speed Clean Pulls with Shrug 
   275 x 3
   315 x 3
   355 x 3
   405 x 3 

Box Jumps - 15 total reps between pulls

Rows - 4 x 10

Stones
   Glide/Stop Drill x 5
   Glide no-reverse x 10+
   Glide w/ reverse x 3

This was the first time ever doing a glide without a reverse. It felt awkward at first but soon felt quite natural. I think this may become a more regular drill. I'm not sure what specifically it helps without reversing but the cool kids are doing it so you know how that goes. 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/14 at 7:43am
Helps your block. With the reverse, people tend to blow through the block and jump rather than just switching feet in order to stay in the box/circle. I do a lot of non-reverse throwing in practice. It's a life saver.

If you can find recent videos of David Storl of Germany, like from this summer, he has thrown 21.97m in the shot with no reverse after going 21.75+ with one. Pretty crazy!
Jeff Kaste

Barge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/14 at 11:22am
A college throwing coach here in CO (at CSU) doesn't allow his throwers to reverse until after their first year of throwing.

Kind of like Jeff mention, you get too excited about jumping into the air and switching your feet instead of maximizing the amount of contact time you have with a reverse. The non-reverse teaches you to use the ground and push as long as possible.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/14 at 7:16pm
Thanks guys. That definitely helps. I wonder if this is true for wfd???

Here is my PR (51'1'') from earlier in July. Not sure if I missed the block. I watched some vids of David Storl and noticed that he stays lower through the glide and that my left arm just kinda floats about whereas his is tucked right into his side like a pitcher in baseball.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/14 at 7:21pm
Friday - 8/8/14

OHP
   230 x 5
   160 x 3 x 3 (speed)

SSB Squat (3 second pause in hole on all reps)
   315 x 1
   345 x 1
   365 x 1
   385 x 1
   225 x 3 x 3 (speed)

Clean Grip Snatch
   135 x 3
   165 x 3
   195 x 3

Chins/ Dips/ Suspension Strap Rear Laterals x 2 rounds of 15 reps each

Glide no-reverse x 10
Glide with reverse x 3
   *Used the lighter stone today. All without reverse were around 50-51. All with reverse were above 52.

LWFD x 10+
   *I've noticed lately that as I get fatigued, I'm not replacing my feet on the first turn and moving too far in the box. Not a concern but its not allowing me to take the number of reps that I would like.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/14 at 9:15pm
That throw looked really solid. You went up and over your left blocking leg which is exactly what you want. Your upper body could be lower in the back (but so could mine!) Otherwise, well done!
Jeff Kaste

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/14 at 5:47pm
Jeff - Thanks. I'll be sure to work on staying lower.

8/10/14 - Sunday 

Close Grip Bench
   185 x 5
   225 x 5
   275 x 5

Trap Bar Jump Shrugs
   250 x 3
   275 x 3
   300 x 3
   325 x 3
   350 x 3

RDL
   225 x 8
   250 x 8
   275 x 8

HWFD x 8
LWFD x 5
Hammer winds between sets

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/14 at 8:04pm
Tuesday - 8/12/14

I seem to have come down with some sort of head cold and my 8 month son has the same. He is doing far worse than me. This will put an end to training this week. Time to rest and hope for the best at Am Champs this weekend.

Close Grip Bench (first rep paused)
   300 x 6
   225 x 4 x 3 (speed)

Chins
   BW x 4 x 10

SSB Squat
   315 x 3
   225 x 4 x 3 (speed - all reps paused in hole)

RDL
   225 x 3 x 8

HWFD x 5
LWFD x 5
Hammer Winds x 5
Glide/Stop Drill x 5

Finished practice just as the rain and thunder began. I'm feeling very lucky to have gotten in some throws today.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/14 at 9:16pm
Minnesota Ren Fest Amateur Champs - 8/16/14

2nd Place Overall

This was my first time competing at the Am Champs and hopefully not my last. It was also the first time I've competed at such a competitive and prestigious competition so the nerves were definitely there in the beginning. Going into the comp I just wanted to hold my own and really didn't set any high expectations but that would soon change after lunch.

Heavy Hammer (6th) - 90'8'' - Not happy but not disappointed either. I'm not much for hammers so this kinda hurt to start the day but at least it was over with quickly.

Braemar (4th) - 39'11'' - This was a season best. When the judge pulled the tape I thought for sure I was at 40' but I forgot to tip the man...lol.

Open Stone (2nd) - 48'2'' - Stone had a nice shape and feel but my left arm block seems to be getting lazy as the season progresses. There was really no reason not to throw 50+.

HWFD (2nd) - 37'3'' - This seems to be my average this season. Its okay in local games but when you're throwing against guys like Crowley it doesn't help much. I was very lucky to stay in 2nd when Rob was creepin' up at 37'.

LWFD (3rd) - 72'6'' - My first throw felt the best and probably was the furthest but I fouled over the trig. Going into the final round, I was in 2nd by 1/2 inch in front of Rob but he managed a nice toss to take 2nd easily. 

Took a one hour lunch break. Had some nice shepherds pie (one of my favs) and then Eddie, Karl, and I found a cute little pirate to give our spare bucks to so he could enjoy his day. I'm sure the pirate thought Eddie was some sort of giant as he approached. 

When I got back to the tent after lunch, I was informed that I was in 2nd with 17 points. This came as a total surprise. I hadn't really followed the points closely up to this point because I really had just hoped to place with a respectable finish.

Caber (5th) - 70 degrees - It was a nice caber...17' and about 130 or more. I had three nice pulls but never developed any speed to get it moving. Only 3 or 4 guys were able to turn it. 

Sheaf (tied for 4th???) - 26' - As Karl would say, "you weren't even close to 28." And he was right...I was probably lucky to clear 26' that day...oh well....Sometimes they fly and other times...you throw sheaf like me - lol.

At this point I was informed that I was in 1st place by 6 points. Uhhhhhhh WHAT??? Now the pressure really sank in. And as Craig and J-Wow pointed out, I choked. 

WOB (tied for 7th???) - 14' - We opened at 13'...easy. Moved to 14'...easy but kinda ugly. That's okay, I'll fix my pull at 15'. First pull - knocked the bar. Second pull - sat the 56 on the bar for what seemed like an eternity and rolled back towards me. I swear that weight sat there forever. Ok, one last pull left. Lets man up and get it done. Third pull - knocked the bar...and slowly crawled into a hole because I just left the door wide open for Rob or Adam. Rob and Adam both cleared 15' and 16'. They went to 16'8'' and neither cleared. That meant Rob took first in wob and Adam took second. 

At this point we're all trying to figure out the math from previous events (there were a lot of ties) to see who took 1, 2, and 3. After all was said and done, Rob and I both had 32 points and Adam had 34. Rob took first in wob and I didn't have any firsts so he was awarded first place based on count backs and I second. 

I was pretty disappointed to drop the ball at the end when it mattered the most but I was also very pleased with the result as well. I didn't have an outstanding day. I didn't really hit any decent numbers. I just managed to keep my stuff together and I was consistent for the better part of the competition. Like I said earlier, I've never been involved in such a nail biter before. It was fun and exciting and I hope to be able to throw with these guys again in the future. Next up is the East Coast Championship in Virginia in 2 weeks. 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/14 at 9:26pm
Awesome work, Sean. Really it's all about being consistent at those games! Sucks that someone told you where you were as you probably would have smoked it all if you didn't know! Haha

Good luck at ECCs man, that's a fun one too!
Jeff Kaste

KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 9:07am
Great job Sean. Your day was the most consistent, you just picked the wrong event to get 7th. :-)

Hope to see you back in 2015.
"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:00pm
Thanks guys. Its no biggie...if the events were in a different order, the story would have ended the same but taken a totally different twist. It is what it is. 

I hope this is the first of many appearances at the Am Champs. 
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 7:06pm
Tuesday - 8/19/14

Started back at school...ugghhhhh. I'm gonna miss hanging with my boy every morning. 

After feeling itty bitty in a game of giants, I need to add some volume and hopefully some size. The season isn't over but why not start now.

Upper Lifting

OHP
   245 x 1
   220 x 5, 3, 3, 3

Dips (alternated with) Fat Rope Chins
   BW x 4 x 10

Suspension Strap Pull Aparts
   BW x 3 x 10

WOB x 10
   *Didn't touch the bar on any of my reps. Everything cleared.

Gide/Stop Drill x 10

P.S. - I don't have a bar to practice WOB...hehehehe

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 7:08pm
8/20/14 - Wednesday

Lower Lifting 

SSB Squat
   315 x 3
   340 x 2
   365 x 1
   315 x 5 x 3

Snatch High Pulls
   135 --> 230 
   *Sets of 3 

GHR
   BW x 3 x 8

Landmine
   25 x 3 x 8

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/14 at 7:33pm
8/22/14 - Friday

Super stoked to have been chosen to compete with some awesome dudes at North vs. South. Thank you Nate and everyone else involved for the opportunity.

Upper Lifting

Close Grip Bench
   335 x 1
   295 x 5
     *3 waves back and forth

DB Rows
   140 x 3 x 10

Dips
   BW x 20, 15

Susp. Strap Rear Delts
   BW x 2 x 10

HWFD x 8
LWFD x 5
   *I seem to be dragging the weight through my first turn and sprint. Focus today was settling into the first turn and actively pushing the weight. When I did this correctly it made an immediate difference in my distances.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 4:00pm
8/24/14 - Sunday 

Lower Lifting and WOB/ Stone

Front Squat
   365 x 1
   315 x 3
      *Performed 3 waves

Snatch Pulls with Shrug
   275 x 3
   315 x 3
   340 x 3
   365 x 2 x 3

HCB 
   2 x 15

WOB
Glide/Stop Drill

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 6:46pm
Monday - 8/25/14

Upper Lifting

OHP
   245 x 2
   220 x 5, 4, 4, 3

Dips (alternated with chins)
   +25 x 3 x 10

Fat Rope Chins
   +25 x 3 x 8

Susp. Strap Rear Laterals
   BW x 3 x 12

DB Curls
   2 x 8

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 7:30pm
So. Much. Swol. 

Nice. 
Jeff Kaste

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/14 at 8:49pm
I'm trying Jeff.

You know you need to change something when your wife asks you why all the other athletes look so much more muscular Ouch. (This was after seeing photos from Minnesota and the athlete bios)

Plan today was to throw weights and stones and do some hammer winds. I've barely practiced since Am Champs and I have ECC's this weekend. As soon as I put my shoes on and got outside, the sky unloaded a pretty nasty storm. Hopefully I can get in some reps later this week.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:18pm
-_-

there's like 4 guys on the circuit that look muscular.. the rest of us are just marshmallows
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 32>
  Share Topic