FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Sean Urquhart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 1:23pm

Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

-_-

there's like 4 guys on the circuit that look muscular.. the rest of us are just marshmallows
www.sportkilt.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 8:29pm
Rob - That is pretty sexxxxaaayyyyy!!!

Jake - Those guys that you are calling marshmallows are still pretty big/strong dudes though.

Training......

With the ECC's this weekend, I was finally able to have a little cram session for practice yesterday and today. I noticed that I have either a strained oblique or bruised rib. Its most noticeable in the stones when I'm leaning over with separation from the hips/shoulders. If the glide sucks I might just stand all of my throws. 

Wednesday - 8/27/14

#16 Stone
   Glide/Stop x 5
   Glide no reverse x 5
   Glide w. reverse x 5

Hammer Winds x 10

Sheaf x 10

Thursday - 8/28/14

Close Grip Bench
   335 x 2
   295 x 6
      *repeat wave x 3

SSB Squat
   365 x 2
   315 x 5
      *repeat wave x 3

DB Rows - 2 x 10
RDL - 2 x 10

HWFD x 8
LWFD x 8
Hammer Winds x 10

Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 8:48pm
Good luck man! Fight through the paaaaaain!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/14 at 9:12pm
8/31/14 - East Coast Championships - VSG

1st overall

The day started out great but soon everything came crashing in around me. I'm making quite the name for myself as the guy that blows the lead. 

Open Stone - 1st - 47'+ - My rib/oblique (still don't know what's wrong) was really bugging me in the power position. Justin Kaye let me borrow his belt for the day and it made a noticeable difference. Thank you. The box and field were uphill pretty bad but I was still able to glide comfortably. I had two out to 47'. I've gone over 50' with this stone but considering my condition and slope of the field, I'll take it.

HWFD - 1st - 38'8'' - Super happy with this number. I hit 39'9'' back in May and haven't hit 38' since then so it was great to finish the season with a decent number in the heavy weight.

LWFD - 1st - 74'+ - First two throws felt great. I tried to speed things up a bit on my final throw and it just didn't click. Its frustrating that I still need to go slow in the light weight to hit better distances.

Caber - 3rd - 12:15 - Big stick 16' and about 130 lbs or so. I was sitting in second until the third round when everyone else decided to start turning the caber and getting better numbers. Thanks again Marble and Baker..lol/jk.

Took a short lunch break. First major mistake of the day. Only ate two poptarts and no water. I continued with this trend of not staying hydrated or fueled and it was evident by the end of the day. I was in pretty bad shape and had to stop to spend the night on the drive home. 

HH - 3rd - 88'+ - Nothing to say here. I crapped the bed. One of my lowest marks this season. But I'm happy to take 3rd to Thor after he threw a 4' PR. He had a great day in hammers and deserved to whoop my butt. 

Second major mistake of the day. 

Sheaf - 7th - 23' - Oh that's right. You read that correctly. Here is where I almost completely blew my entire day. Missed my first attempt wide right. Made my second. Moved to 26'. Missed all three wide right. This has never happened to me before at such a low height. At this point, I blew a 6 point lead and am now tied with Matt Hand (he took first in sheaf) at 16 points going into WOB. 

Third major mistake of the day.

WOB - tied for 2nd - 13' - Basically we can just say that whatever screw up I had in sheaf came back to haunt me in WOB. I missed every attempt at 14' a good foot above the bar but out in front each time. The last time I went out at 13' was early April. 

Matt Hand and I ended up tied for first on points but I took the overall because of 3 first place finishes. I'm happy to take first in the ECC's but I made things way closer than I would have liked. My afternoon really sucked. Props to Matt for keeping the pressure on me. 

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 11:35am
Sean, what are you eating night before/morning of a comp that you're bonking so badly?

Water? Well, stay sipping all day. Or coconut water's good for that. Sip it all day and poof.

Grapes are a decent all day snack because it sounds like you're like me and the idea of loading up at lunch is just bad.

But eat like a savage the night before, man. And tons of water that day too. It'll help you coast. Steak and eggs for breakfast and you're golden.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 11:37am
Add in 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed. 
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 7:40pm
My normal routine is much better. This may have been the most dehydrated I've ever been at a game.

Normal routine:
- Eat clean all week but increase carbs (mostly rice and oatmeal) the last few days of the week.
- Drink lots of water all week, almost no pop, drink a few glasses of coconut water the day before.
- Morning of the comp I'll load up with large amounts of oatmeal and a nice protein source.
- Sip water continuously throughout the day, munch on pb&j and oatmeal creampies between all events and/or attempts.

ECC routine:
- Drove all day Saturday and drank zero water the entire day, I did finish off an energy drink and 44 oz Mountain Dew.
- Ate minimal all day minus a burger and fries from McDonalds the night before.
- Ate a small breakfast from McDonalds before the comp.
- Drank almost no water the entire comp until the very end when I felt like absolute poop and had a pounding headache (dehydration). I drank a few gatorades instead of my normal water.
- Ate two pop-tarts at lunch and one more later in the afternoon before I embarrassed myself on sheaf.

Its my own fault. I didn't prepare in advance to follow my normal routine the days leading up to the comp or during the comp. I'm pretty sure my dehydration and lack of food resulted in me not completing the drive back home afterwards as well.

Grapes and coconut water sound good but I'm used to loading up. I eat snacks throughout my entire workout when I'm lifting and usually munch on food during my drive to practice. I was just stupid and lazy.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/14 at 7:16pm
Yay...I'm alive.

Took a week off from lifting and throwing. I don't have much of an appetite if I'm not training. I ate 4 meals per day instead of the usual 6+. At the end of the week I dropped down to 240...ahhhhhh Unhappy. If I'm not eating all day I start losing weight immediately.

Saturday - 9/6/14

Close Grip Bench
   335 x 3 x 2
   295 x 3 x 6
     *Alternating sets

DB Rows
   140 x 4 x 10

Dips/ Susp Strap Rear Laterals/ Curls/ Meadow Shrugs
   2 cycles through with no rest

Sunday - 9/7/14

SSB Squat
   365 x 3 x 2
   315 x 3 x 5

GHR 
   BW x 5 x 5

Snatch High Pulls
   Triples up to 205

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/14 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by SeanUrq SeanUrq wrote:

If I'm not eating all day I start losing weight immediately.

Having a hard time feeling bad for you lol
Jeff Kaste

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/14 at 5:50pm
Jeff - My wife feels the same as you. When I was dropping weight for my wedding a few years back, I started out by eating half a bagel instead of the whole bagel (I really didn't want to go on much of a diet). I lost weight within days of just doing that, mind you I was eating about 2 bagels throughout the day as a snack. 

Upper Lifting

OHP
   245 x 2, 2
   220 x 5, 4, 4

Dips (alternated with chins)
   BW +50 x 4 x 10

2.5" Fat Bar Chins
   BW x 5 x 8

Susp Strap Rear Laterals/ DB Curls/ Meadows Shrugs
   2 cycles through circuit and 10-15 reps per exercise

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/14 at 7:55pm
If I look at a bagel I put on weight. 

Cherish it...for the love of god CHERISH IT!!!!
Jeff Kaste

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 9:27am
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

If I look at a bagel I put on weight. 

Cherish it...for the love of god CHERISH IT!!!!

He's in a strength sport, fergawdsake! It's a freakin curse!
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:08pm

J... When I was dropping weight for my wedding a few years back...

I'm gonna pretend I did not read this so I do have have to slap you in January.
www.sportkilt.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:56pm
How else was he going to fit into that dress, Rob?
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 1:07pm
whomp whomp...

Come on Sean...
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 1:31pm
I'm not here to judge, Dunc.

Just label.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 2:18pm
If the dress fits...
The man in the arena.
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 3:10pm
How many times must I say it?  Its a KILT!

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 6:53pm
Ohhhhh you guys....lol

It is a curse Sean. Putting on weight has not always been the easiest for me. It happens but slowly. When I started 4 seasons ago I was a little over 205 lbs. This season I hovered around 250 lbs.

My students saw a picture on my board at school of my son and I wearing matching kilts. They asked why we were wearing skirts. Then a little girl spoke up and commented, "Those aren't skirts. Those are skilts." I almost died laughing. 

You guys can label away. I've got the prettiest little chicken legs of any highlander out there. 

Thanks Nate. That was actually a really cool wedding reception. My Grandma Urquhart ordered the Urquhart kilt from a kilt maker in Scotland and my wife wore a traditional Chinese wedding gown that her mom brought back from China. When we walked out for the reception, we walked out to "Shipping up to Boston"

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 6:56pm
Rob - You may have to slap me if I start poopin' the bed in WOB.

Wednesday - 9/10/14

Lower Lifting

Front Squat
   365 x 5 x 2

Elevated Stiff Leg Deadlifts
   225 x 5
   275 x 5
   300 x 5
   325 x 5

Band Leg Curls
   Avg x 2 x 25

My oblique/rib is still bugging me. The discomfort has not gotten any better in almost a month. During lifting there are no lifts that cause discomfort except for the bottom position of the SLDL. I'm gonna have to figure out what the heck is a matter.

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 8:02am
Sean, I feel your pain on the weight thing. When I met my wife, I was 182# soaking wet. When I started the games, I was 195. Was an uphill fight for years to get to 230. Gorged myself silly and hit 265 for like a day. Felt gross, stopped eating like a pig and was 250 in like a week.

I was 240(maybe) in Bellingham. When the injury tally started rolling, I lost weight like I had cancer. In August, the first thing Greg Hadley said to me was "What happened, man?" I think I was 220.

It's all artificial weight :) I ever totally stop lifting weights and my system will re-assert itself and I'll be a buck eighty five.
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Sean, I feel your pain on the weight thing.

It's all artificial weight :) I ever totally stop lifting weights and my system will re-assert itself and I'll be a buck eighty five.

I'm with ya on all of that.
jammin on the one.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 8:25am
I kind of feel bad for you guys.  Besides when I got first got diagnosed 2 years ago and felt really bad (and got down to like 265-270 for a month or so), I have not been below 280 since...dunno.  Maybe 2005?  lol.

20 stone.  I always wanted to weigh at least that.  At my peak weight in 2009, I was nearly 22 stone!

I keep saying one of these days I will back off and (try to) lose weight.  My wife keeps asking if that day will ever come.  
www.sportkilt.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 12:04pm
No one is a special snowflake.  

No one defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Discipline with your food.  And training too, I guess.    

I too started highland games at around 200lbs.  It took me a little over 11 years to put on a 100lbs or so.  6-10lbs a year, every year.  It was a fkn grind, but doable for anyone imo.  Your body gets used to it, and you'll hold more and more. 

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/14 at 1:09pm
^^ +1

I should add my timeline.

Started training at age 18 in 1995.  Weighed ~180#.
Easily got to 200# by 1996.
By graduation (1998): weight 240# (sloppy)
1998: Started grad school - diet back down to 220#
2000: First powerlifting meet; weight 225#
2001-2003: hard powerlifting training; slowly go through the classes 242 to light/mid 275er
2004: First trip to USAPL nationals; weight 270#
2005: Started strongman; weight 280#
2006: Win pro card; weight 285#
2007-2008: injuries, but ~290-295#
2009: Compete in America's strongest man; weight 305#
2010-present: Highland games, 285-295# at any time.

Craig's numbers are right on. 5-10# per year, on average.
www.sportkilt.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/14 at 2:53pm
I agree with so much that all you guys wrote about. 

I do feel that some of my weight is artificial. But I've also stayed above 245 for about two years now so I'm hoping some of that weight has stuck.

It is definitely a grind and takes effort every day. Craig is right, discipline year in and year out. 

That's nuts Rob. At 18 we were about the same size (185 lbs). The only problem is it took me about 6 years to put on 20 lbs. Then once I started training for throwing my weight increased rather quickly but has stalled as of lately. 

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/14 at 3:02pm
Friday - 9/12/14

The Sam Adams Workout

Stein Hoisting Competition - First Place

Went to the local pub for drinks but ended up entering the Oktoberfest Stein Hoisting competition. All of the other guys dropped out by 3 minutes. I was left with some non-lifting dude and he gave me a run for my money. He bowed out around 4:30 and I decided to stop at 5:00. The girl promoting said that last year the winner in Germany lasted for over 14:00.

Saturday - 9/13/14

Upper Lifting

Close Grip Bench
   330 x 3 x 3
   295 x 8

DB Rows
   140 x 10, 10, 8, 8

Dips
   BW x 40 reps in 1:00

Susp. Strap Rear Laterals
   2 x 15

Curls
   4 x 8

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/14 at 5:30pm

Friday - 9/12/14

The Sam Adams Workout

Stein Hoisting Competition - First Place

I'd expected nothing less. Well done sir. 
Jeff Kaste

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 8:30am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

No one is a special snowflake.  

No one defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Discipline with your food.  And training too, I guess.    

I too started highland games at around 200lbs.  It took me a little over 11 years to put on a 100lbs or so.  6-10lbs a year, every year.  It was a fkn grind, but doable for anyone imo.  Your body gets used to it, and you'll hold more and more. 

So you're going on record as saying genetics mean absolutely zero with any of this shit? :D
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

So you're going on record as saying genetics mean absolutely zero with any of this shit? :D

That is exactly what I'm saying.   Geek

Or I'm saying that anyone can put on 5-10lbs a year for quite some time, if they want to. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 32>
  Share Topic