Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Sean Urquhart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/13 at 6:37pm
Saturday - 3/9/13

Upper Emphasis

Back from camp with my 5th grade students. It was a great experience but man was I glad when we got home.

Flat Bench Throws
   65 x 5
   80 x 5
   95 x 5

Push Press
   255 x 2
   280 x 2
   295 x 2
   (add belt and wraps)
   310 x 2, 2, 2
   275 x 6

Speed Incline Bench
   185 x 3, 3
   195 x 3, 3
   205 x 3, 3

Weighted Chins
   +50 x 8, 7, 6, 5

Grenade Chins
   BW x 10, 10, 10

Upper Back
Core
Arms

Protein shake and oatmeal - then straight on over to the field after lifting

LWFD - 15 total throws (no straps this time - even though the field was still swampy)

The majority of my throws today were between 68' and 72'. I'll take this a good sign because last year when I hit my season PR of 72', I was only throwing between 63' and 68' during practice.

I appreciate any and all comments/tips on my throws. 

My first comp is two weeks away. 

Tomorrow's plan is HWFD, Caber, and Hammer
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/13 at 10:23pm
Slower on the first turn, the speed it up into the second. You're faster in turn one than turn 2. Nice delivery though, keep that!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 5:30pm
Thanx Jeff,

I'll keep that in mind. I did notice that I didn't have much of a sprint. I kinda went from turn 1 to turn 2 without any significant acceleration.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 7:55pm
Sunday - 3/10/13

Throws Practice

HWFD - 12 total throws

Holy Hell this felt terrible. My timing was completely off and holding on to the weight was a real struggle. Yesterday was the first time I was able to throw without straps and by the end of practice today, my thumb was pretty much purple. I've got to recondition my thumb to handle the stress of the hook grip. I even tried to throw with my strap at the end of practice just to see how things would pan out and still, I threw like crap. This is very frustrating after such a great practice just a week ago.

Light Hammer - 15 throws (all 2 winds)

This was my first time throwing hammer since September of last year. I've done winds but haven't been able to throw. Things felt well but I have a lot of improving to do if I'm going to be competitive with the big boys. 

Practice Caber - 8 pick and walks
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/13 at 6:34am
They can't all be gems :)
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/13 at 8:25pm
Monday - 3/11/13

Lower Emphasis

Front Squat
   275 x 2
   315 x 2
   345 x 1
   (Add Belt)
   370 x 1
   345 x 5, 5, 5

Snatch (2 reps hip snatch - 3 reps high pull from below knee to chin)
   175 x 2/3
   195 x 2/3
   210 x 2/3
   220 x 2/3
   195 x 2/3, 2/3, 2/3

Paused Front Squat (No Belt) - (5 second pause)
   275 x 3, 3

These felt crazy in my core. It was really eye opening to feel my abs working while in the bottom position without a belt. I'm gonna stick with no belt for a while to continue to build a secure position in my front squat. I feel that if I can improve my core strength and keep from rounding over during heavier weights, then I am good for way more next time I go for a max.

Ghetto GHR
   BW x 8, 8
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/12/13 at 8:30pm
Tuesday - 3/12/13

Upper Emphasis

Open Stone Footwork
   Glide x 15

Exp Med Ball Press
   12 total reps

Incline Bench
   185 x 3
   225 x 3
   255 x 3
   280 x 3, 3, 3, 3

Standing Strict OHP
   220 x 4, 4
   190 x 10

Meadows Rows
   5 x 10

Rear Laterals
Arms
Grappler
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/13 at 8:31pm
Thursday - 3/14/13

Plan was to throw for an hour (lwfd and hammer) and then hit the weights. But oh how plans change...lol.

LWFD - 20 throws (67 - 72)

Although the distances were on par for my performance lately, I was very unhappy with how everything felt. Usually I can glide through and hit positions and feel good about my throws. Today I felt like I had to struggle to hit each position, even my cast felt awkward. So I forced myself to throw until I finally got my confidence back. 

So then I went a little more OCD on the LWFD and worked on some line drills. Nice and slow. Making sure everything was fluid. Did this for another 30 minutes. 

All in all I probably got over 30+ reps with the LWFD. 

Too many? yeah probably but by the end of my crap fest everything began to feel good again.

I wanted to hit some hammers but by now it was too dark and I still had to lift.

Feeling slightly worn down. Gee, I wonder why?

Speed Squats - 205 x 8 x 3
Snatch - Triples up to 220

Plan for tomorrow: Stones and some PWO Jameson style

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/13 at 2:07pm
Friday - 3/15/13

Standing Stone (16 indoor shot)
   Facing x 5
   Braemar x 10

Saturday - 3/16/13

Upper Emphasis

Line Drills
   HWFD x 5
   LWFD x 5

Open Stone Footwork
   Glide x 20

Push Press
   255 x 2
   275 x 2
   290 x 2
   (Add Belt)
   305 x 2
   315 x 2
   305 x 2

Speed Incline Bench w/ Chains (complete deload at bottom - 60 lbs at top)
   95 x 3
   115 x 3
   135 x 3
   Ran through wave 3 times (9 sets)

Grenade Ball Chins
   +25 x 5
   +35 x 5
   +45 x 5, 5

Fat Rope Chins
   BW x 8, 8, 8, 8

Blast Strap Triceps Extensions
Fat Bar Curls

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 9:22pm
Sunday - 3/17/13

Lower Emphasis

LH Winds x 10

LW Line Drills x 5

Bulgarian Split Squat Jumps
   BW x 10 total jumps each leg

Front Squat
   225 x 2
   275 x 2
   315 x 2
   335 x 2
   (add belt and loose wraps)
   360 x 5
   340 x 5, 5

Full Power Snatch
   190 x 2
   200 x 2
   210 x 2
   220 x 2, 2, 2

Paused Front Squat (no belt)
   275 x 3
   285 x 3, 3

Speed Deadlift (no belt)
   275 x 3
   315 x 3
   345 x 3
   365 x 3
   385 x 3

First comp of the year is coming up this Saturday 3/23.
Plan is to keep lifting and throwing on schedule and take Friday off. 
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 9:29pm
Good luck this weekend. I will see you at the reynoldsburg games. I will be in the masters but my son Andy will be competing with you.
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 10:00pm
Thanx Glenn.

BTW, I saw your post about your son on the GLSAA forum. No worries, he will be in good hands. I have found that most of the guys are more than willing to help the newer throwers. I'm sure he'll do great and have fun as well.

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/13 at 8:17pm
Tuesday - 3/19/13

Throws Practice

Stones (indoor shot)
   Stand Facing x 5
   Braemar No Reverse x 5
   Glide x 10
   Glide Footwork x 30

Line Drills
   HWFD x 6
   LWFD x 6

Lifting Upper Emphasis

Incline Bench
   225 x 3
   255 x 3
   280 x 4, 4, 3, 3

Standing Strict OHP
   225 x 4, 4
   135 x 5, 5, 5 (explosive)

DB Rows - 5 x 12
Blast Strap Rear Laterals - 3 x 10
Low Incline Bench - 80 x 1 x 20
Grappler - 30 x 8, 8
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/13 at 7:13pm
Thursday - 3/21/13

2 days out from season opener (Ohio Tundra Games).

It's snowing today and tomorrow all over Cleveland, especially on the east side where the games are being held. I am really hoping the weather is not so bad that it makes it too difficult to throw. I'll be bringing cleats but with an expected 6 to 12 inches of snow, it won't even matter.

Lower Emphasis

Full Power Snatch/ Hip Snatch (tried to catch all weights as high as possible - working on speed)
   175 x 1/1
   190 x 1/1
   205 x 1/1 (5 sets)

Speed SSB Front Squat with Chains
   185 x 8 x 3

Ghetto GHR
   BW x 6, 6

HH Winds x 5
HWFD Line Drills x 5
Open Stone Footwork (glide) x 10
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/13 at 3:08pm
Saturday - 3/23/13

Ohio Tundra Games (19 F - which fits nicely with the name of this comp - lol)

It was a complete suck fest as far as distances were concerned. While it was fun, the atmosphere resembled a crappy practice with friends more so than a competition. We all were throwing well under our norm and the field made matters worse.

All numbers were far below the norm. Especially my WFD (10 feet under!!!) and WOB. 

The field was under a few inches of snow to start the day and soon became a swampy and muddy mess once it warmed up. 

I wore cleats for all events except hammer and still slipped and slid all over the box.

Braemar (34+) - 1st - Did not get much leg drive and felt kinda blah. I have thrown 38 with this same stone so today was frustrating.

Open Stone (42++) - 1st - From the glide I was slipping after my initial drive. I probably would have done better if I just braemared the open stone. 

HWFD (29) - 1st - What the CUSS??? The distance events were a total crap shoot. There was no pivoting without slipping and you could completely forget about a sprint phase. Most people opted for just a 1 turn. 

LWFD (62+++) - 1st - Read above...Same story all day.

HH (74+) - 1st 

LH (99+) - 1st

Hammers will be the death of me. I wore blades today which probably helped considering the field conditions. I am seriously going to make hammers my focus this season. I'm gonna put some videos up soon b/c I need all the help I can get with hammer.

WOB (11) - 2nd (I guess).  HAHAHAHAHHAHA - the weight kept getting buried in the ground (literally the entire weight - handle and all) - so by the end there were no spots to stand. The platform to throw was more like quicksand. Although I've never thrown in quicksand I would assume my results would be about the same.

I know I shouldn't be upset about my performance due to the conditions but I can't help but get pissed. The entire drive home I just kept running through all the events in my mind and how I'm going to improve the next couple practices before I compete again. 

Next comp is Reynoldsburg Tartan Days (4/6/13). Should be a good one. My arch nemesis (Nate Parker) is gonna be there so we should be able to push each other for some nice pr's.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/13 at 5:06pm
Ahahaha! I love early season and crappy conditions :) You built character today Sean :)
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/13 at 7:20pm
Lets plan a PR party for April 6th, and also pray for nice weather.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/13 at 8:05pm
Sunday - 3/24/13

Lower Emphasis

Wasn't really feeling it today. Hit the important stuff and then called it early.

Front Squat (3x3 @ 85%, 2x5)
   275 x 3
   315 x 3
   335 x 3
   355 x 3, 3, 3
   325 x 5, 5

Hip Snatch
   175 x 3
   195 x 3
   210 x 3
   220 x 2, 2, 2

Hang Clean (catch high)
   245 x 3
   265 x 3
   275 x 3, 3, 3
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/13 at 8:11pm
Monday - 3/25/13

Upper and Throwing

Stones (16 lbs indoor shot)
   Facing x 5
   Braemar x 6 (40 - 43)
   Open Stone Glide x 8 (43 - 46...Kinda hard to measure, I throw in the gym where I teach and I was hitting the wall a few feet up, wall is about 43 ft from my throwing area)

I feel like I need to be more active with my left arm in the braemar. I feel like it just kinda hangs out for the ride. I need to really be violent and pull it around. 

Braemar

Open Stone

Incline Bench
   185 x 3
   225 x 3
   255 x 3
   280 x 5, 4, 3, 3, 3

Standing Strict OHP
   225 x 5, 4, 3, 3

DB Rows
   150 x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Blast Strap Rear Laterals
Blast Strap Tri Ext
Fat Bar Curls
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 6:34am
Try throwing in your gym at a diagonal. In HS I had a mini gym and when we threw dead on it would hit half way up the wall and it was 43' to the wall also. It helps when you are trying to measure. 

Also you do the same thing that I do with my left leg. You don't extend it all the way and this reduces your drive across the trig. Think about not just driving backwards but down also, loading your drive leg when you land. I do the same thing and I've been throwing for ages so if you can fix it now you're much better off! Your stand up looks solid though. Big tosses in the future!
Jeff Kaste

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/13 at 7:29pm
After watching vids of other glide shot putters, I see what you mean by not extending my left leg.

When you talk about driving down and loading my drive leg, should I think of getting my hips lower? 

I noticed some gliders drop their hips slightly as they begin the push. Should this be something to focus on as well? Maybe just a mental cue. 
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/13 at 7:41pm
Wednesday - 3/27/13

Lower Emphasis and Throws

HWFD x 10

I use an adjustable weight and decided to put some extra weight on for sh*ts and giggles. Weighed it after practice at 63 lbs. Any heavier and it would probably hinder my form but this was just enough. I may play with overweight and underweight implements a bit from time to time in practice and see how that goes. I'll be sure to keep the adjusted weight relatively close. No need to get too crazy Wink

Light Hammer x 10

Hammer broke so it was time to head back home. 

Met a lady at practice whose granddaughter competes in marathons in a wheel chair. She has competed in the Beijing and London Olympics and will be competing in the Boston marathon soon. It was pretty cool to hear what types of things people can do when faced with an obstacle.

Speed SSB Low Box Squats 
(decided to switch things up a bit and do some rear squats to a box)
   185 x 3, 3
   205 x 3, 3
   225 x 3, 3, 3
   245 x 3, 3, 3

Snatch High Pulls 
(pulled to broom stick set at nose height - continued to add weight until I could barely touch the stick)
   135 x 3
   155 x 3
   175 x 3
   195 x 3
   205 x 3
   215 x 3
   225 x 3
   235 x 2

Explosive SSB GoodMornings
   135 x 5
   155 x 5
   175 x 3, 3, 3

Lunges
Upper Back
Core
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/13 at 7:56pm
With regards to dropping your hips, I would be wary of dropping too low because that would in turn cause your drive leg, right leg, to bend more and theres only so much bend that benefits a glide.

That is hard to explain in words but I hope I got my point across. 

Also, what I was saying was to kick or drive your left leg down. Like when I kick, I think to point my toes down to the bottom of the toeboard/trig. Does it happen all the time? Nooooope. But it's a good mental cue. 
Jeff Kaste

SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/13 at 3:06pm
Cool, 

I'll be working on this the next couple days. Let's hope for improved distances.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/13 at 3:13pm
Thursday - 3/28/13

Caber
   Pick and Walks x 10

Friday - 3/29/13

Upper Emphasis and Throws

Push Press
   225 x 2
   255 x 2
   275 x 2
   295 x 1
   315 x 1 (just wanted to see what kind of numbers I could hit comfortably without a belt)
   (add belt)
   280 x 5, 5, 5

Speed Incline Bench
   185 x 3, 3
   200 x 3, 3
   215 x 2, 2, 2
   230 x 1, 1, 1

Weighted Chins
   +50 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
   BW x 10, 10

LWFD x 12 
   gotta remember to cast to 1:00 then turn - this made a big difference in my practice today

LH x 15+
   Decided to ditch the blades today as they have been very frustrating lately. 
   I'll probably put them on again in a few days but I just wanted to work on other things today (3 winds)
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/13 at 1:53pm
Saturday - 3/30/13

Lower Emphasis

Had to train in a commercial gym as I am visting the folks for the weekend. Only had one squat rack and signs everywhere stating "NO CHALK". whoops - I guess I must have overlooked that one slightly...lol

Front Squat
   225 x 2
   275 x 2
   315 x 2
   340 x 1
   365 x 1
   385 x 1
   405 x 1 (fast and easy)

Holy crap did this bar have some whip.

Hip Snatch
   135 x 3
   155 x 3
   185 x 2
   205 x 2
   220 x 2
   230 x 2
   240 x 1
   250 x 1 PR!!! (have video but will wait until I get back on my computer before posting)
   Shut it down at this point. I felt there was no need to keep pushing until I missed a lift. I was probably good for about 260 but I would rather stay fresh and hit that another day. 

Hang Clean (catch high)
   250 x 3
   275 x 3
   290 x 3

Ghetto GHR
   BW x 6, 6, 6

Leg Press
   1 x 20
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/13 at 8:23pm
No Chalk lol. Nice PR! Are you going to be in Reynoldsburg Friday?
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/13 at 2:09pm
Yeah, I'll be in Cbus Friday. Staying on my buddy's couch. 

What time are you getting in town?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/13 at 2:21pm
Not sure yet. I will probably get there before it gets dark out so I check out where we are throwing at. Have they told us yet where that is?
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/13 at 8:26pm
Monday - 4/1/13

Upper Lifting and Throws

Stones
   Braemar (non-reverse)
        16 x 5 (all 40+)
        23 x 5 (all 35+)
   Glide Footwork x 15 (working on full ext of left leg and getting it down as I drive)

HWFD x 6 (1@36, 2@37, 1@38)

LWFD x 6 (2@70, 1@71, 1@72)

Stones felt a little slow - no real pop.

Weights felt great. I made a few small modifications to my cast and noticed an immediate improvement. I will practice the weights once more this week and then I am competing on Saturday in Cbus, OH. Let's hope my progress continues through this weekend. 

Incline Bench
   225 x 3
   255 x 3
   275 x 3
   290 x 3, 3, 3
   260 x 3, 3, 3 (close grip)

Standing Strict OHP
   230 x 4, 3, 3, 3
   135 x 3, 3, 3 (speed)

DB Rows
   150 x 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8

Bast Strap Rear Laterals - 3 x8