FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: J.Goldthorp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: J.Goldthorp
    Posted: 2/09/13 at 3:01pm

Well I figured I would jump on board and start logging my training. I've been reading posts from other members for the past week and it's been motivational so why not join the cause?

First of all  I am 24 years old and I have been competing with a personal defibrillator inside my chest for about 4 years now. It held me back at first because I was very cautious of my heart condition and having a mechanical device implanted into such an important organ. It was also very hard to get used to the medications that were prescribed to me. A lot of days it felt like I was trying to run through water when it came to training. Once I got over the initial fear of dying on the throwing field with a caber in my hands, I was able to get back into heavy lifting and LOTS of throwing. I was able to compete with Matt V., Duncan, Spencer, Jon O and Nathan B in the World Amateur Championships along with a bunch of europe's best which was an awesome experience! Last year I turned professional and I'm very happy competing in such an amazing class of throwers. It has done nothing but improved my game. I have just moved to a new area and am now on the hunt for new games. I have only competed in the States twice in Estes park and Spokane so I'll be looking at my brothers and sisters in the south for more info haha. I just finished my leg day and it went like this:

Squats:

BarX10

135X20 For 2

225X15 For 2

315X10 For 2

Lunges:

135X10 For 4

Wall Sits:

1 minute X 5 with a 45lb plate

Weighted Box Jumps:

135lb X5 For 4

Finish with 30 Lengths in the pool

I look forward to keeping track of my training and discussing other training options with you guys!

Cheers from the Great White North!

"Crush your enemies,See them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!"
Kyle Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/13 at 12:09am
Nice to see you on here Josh!  Hope we see you in Alberta some time this year.

Kyle
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/13 at 9:36am
Shh. Don't talk to him, Kyle. He's from BC now. He's probably stoned ALL the time now.
TheThorpedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/13 at 6:08pm
Well at least we can rule it out as "Performance Enhancing" hahaha
"Crush your enemies,See them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women!"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/13 at 6:14pm

Olympic lifting day!

Hang cleans
Cleans
Push Press
Clean and Jerks
Circus Dumbell press (I actually found one! :D)

Followed by 10 minutes of skipping rope and 10 minutes of stairs! :D

One of my goals this year is to increase strength in my chest and shoulders to help me out with stone. Right now all of my strength is coming from my legs. Which isn't a bad thing but I need to finish the throw!

Happy lifting!
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/13 at 9:01pm
Add in some volume work with dumbells. Total bodybuilding fluffy stuff. You'll be surprised what it does to your overall strength.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/13 at 7:58pm

Seasonal Goals for 2013

Stone: 45+ Consistantly

Heavy Weight: 42+

Light weight: 77+

Light Hammer: 130+

Heavy hammer: 110+

WFH: 16'
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/13 at 9:17pm
Leg Day!

This season I'm more focused on speed and explosion so I lowered the weight and modified the workouts:

Today's workout consisted of:

Fast Squats= 225lb
Box jumps with 135lb bar
Sprints with 135lb bar
Prowler crawls

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/13 at 9:56am
So I've neverbeen a Bench Press kind of guy. I always thought that it wouldn't help my throwing. However, recent reading have me believing that I need to start doing it. So I did a Power lifting day yesterday and was very surprised at how well I faired! It's also the first time I've ever used Heavy wrist wraps for the bench as well. Gave me that little bit of confidence to start going heavy.

Bench PR- 315lb Felt very comfortable(Would have gone heavier but I hate asking for spotters in the gym when I'm not with a partner)

Deadlift- 455lb (Still recovering from a strained Glute)

Squat- 455lb ( Same excuse as above)
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/13 at 2:23pm
Do I want to even ask how you strained a glute? Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/13 at 8:44am
I thought about Edmonton and for some reason it just pulled itself! LOL
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/13 at 10:53am
You miss the cuddles. Admit it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/13 at 12:19pm

Maybe...........Embarrassed

Looks like I'll see you in Regina!
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/23/13 at 12:37pm
Awesome!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 4:42pm

Had a great throwing day yesterday! I've started working on the full spin in the shot circle. Finally starting to understand where the power comes from in the spin. I'm hitting 45 consistantly with little effort. Can't wait to start goin full speed!

As for Hammers I think I threw about 25 16lb yesterday. Consistantly hitting 125 without really pushing myself. Just going through the motions and making sure I'm hitting the correct positions.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/13 at 9:34am

Yesterday I had the privilage of working with Harold Willers. Harold was on Team Canada for track and field and at one point was one of Canada's top Olympic Hamer Throwers. He also happens to be Joel Thiessen's old coach!

The main focus of the day was shot put/stone. I've been working on using a full spin and with a few small tips from Harold in our first session I was able to put out 3 Personal Bests; nearly hitting 50 feet for the first time. I'm finally starting to understand where the power is supposed to come from.

Hopefully this transfers over to the stone as well as I hope it will!
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/13 at 9:36am
Thats Awesome!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/13 at 11:16am
Had a great throwing practive yesterday. Brought out a new thrower, Joe Pocock, to show him a thing or two on the field.
I ended up hitting consistant stone PR's around 45-48 feet so hopefully I can keep it together and put one of those out during a competition!

Joe is a very powerful athlete and will definitely give the Amateur A class a run for their money!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheThorpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/13 at 6:16pm
For some odd reason my hammers have been sucking ass this year. I think it's been because of a few factors:

1: My shoulders are a lot stronger this year so I think I've resorted to muscling the hammer as opposed to relaxing and letting my legs do the accelerating. Hard to get away from.

2: Because I'm muscling it my circle is much smaller

3: I'm more on my toes as opposed to finishing on my heels.

4: I've been training way too hard lately and I haven't fully recovered before tackling new hammer strategies.

So I have a lot to work on, but I find with the games that once you start training one event another starts falling. Stones have been my focus this year and I've been doing well but I've gotta even things out.

THROW FAR FRIENDS!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic