FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 48>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 9:36pm
Thanks Glenn.  The hammer plates were (heavily) JB Welded together and so far they've held.

I spotted exactly the same things you did on hammer, so that is good corroboration.  I'll also keep the left arm in mind on sheaf.  As soon as my 16# bag arrives from Jason, I'll be able to drop a bit lower and keep the plane of the swing closer to my legs as well.

I appreciate the feedback brother,

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 9:49pm
Found this on page 9 of youtube after searching sheaf toss tutorial. It should be on page 1
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 10:02pm
Ok, I watched this video last fall and have based most of my sheaf off of it . I went from 20 feet with a 16# to now 25 feet. I quote him all of the time "this is a violet event" "between to panes of glass". I had no idea who Duncan was then. Took me forever to find this video again but glad I did.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 10:03pm
Hope these videos help Tom. Keep up the hard work
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 11:12pm
I had seen the Spidersheaf video, but not the other.  Thanks again!

I didn't clear the bar at my local games last year, and it was because I hadn't taken the event seriously.  This season I am on a mission to become a Sheafasaurus.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/11/13 at 8:49pm
Monday 3/11

This is going to be a weird week.  My bride is headed out town so I will be close to home to take care of the wild monkeys my sons.  That means I'll only get one gym day this week.  All that means is more throwing and some good old dinosaur training (logs, sandbags, water keg, etc.).

Today was Ashtanga Yoga primary series full session and shortly before that I went back out to the trig to try to get some of my cool back.  I managed about ten throws with LWFD and only fouled one of them.  I still didn't throw squat for distance, but at least I threw.  Afterward I checked back in Throwing Lab and think I figured out my problem.  I'm casting and pushing with my arm, not my body.  In Matt's words, "do not use your arm to muscle the weight. You will lose."

Well there's my problem.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/13 at 6:58pm
Tuesday 3/12
Beach muscles workout just to keep things moving
Bench 5x5@135
Incline Bench 5x5@95
Kroc Rows 2x5@60, 1x20@60 each hand
I did something else too, but I can't remember what it was.

Wednesday 3/13
Finished welding my 56#
Glued and screwed a 16' training caber (see Throwing Lab pg.49)
Ashtanga Surynamaskara set
Got word from Jason Clevenger that my 16# sheaf is on the way.   Me = stoked.

Thursday 3/14
Ashtanga Surynamaskara set.
Shaped and sanded the new caber and applied three coats of Bullseye shellac to make it sexy.  Photo below.

O-stone Practice
16# 3xBraemar, best was 22'4"
16# 10xhop/glide, best was 25'
20# 5xhop/glide, best was 24"
Precision was great if not the distances, to that point that I was landing successive throws on the marker stone from the previous throw.

HWFD (a.k.a. current nemesis)
5 or 6 double turns, best throw was 10' 8"
The technique troubles I'm having with LWFD are doubled.  Go figure.  This one just makes me feel weak, so I need to find my way into it and own it.

New practice caber here:

I will weigh it tomorrow.  I will also weld up a light hammer tomorrow to start throwing.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/13 at 5:08pm
Friday 3/15
Moved 21 bags of topsoil up and down steps for a landscaping project.
Welded a new Light Hammer head.
Entertained In-Laws

Saturday 3/16 = good, bad, and ugly

The good -- I finished my new light hammer, including painting it orange, so that I will be able to find it should I accidentally wing it into the woods here.  My new Clevenger sheaf also came today, so I know what I'm doing tomorrow if I am able.

The bad -- threw WOB today and it was awful.  I scored a 4GB FlipVideo off eBay this week so I was able to film the throws for technical review.  The short version is that it is clear that I'm throwing with my arm and not my legs and back.  In the process, I really strained my right trapezius from the point of origin at my shoulder all the way up to my ear.  I don't think anything tore, but it sure is burning.

The ugly -- after the trapezius injury, for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to practice caber with my new 16'.  I weighed it at 80#, so piece of cake right?  Unfortunately, I found out why you don't practice caber on high ground in March.  It was really windy up in the garden and a gust caught it as soon as I tried to make the first pick, and I stupidly tried to save it.  It went sideways from my right shoulder across the back of the neck (right over the same trapezius), and when the top end hit, the bottom third rebounded and caught me across the back of the skull. My whole right arm when numb and everything went yellow for a second.  I figured that was a good time to end the practice.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/13 at 10:21pm
Hope you are okay Tom. When are your first games of 2013?

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 4:59am
I think I'll be fine.  Just very sore.  We'll see how long it take to stop hurting.

My first games should be the Triad Highland Games on April 27 in Greensboro, NC.  One of my sisters lives there.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 8:02pm
Sunday 3/17

Conditioning
  • Toddler Prowlers = load up 60 pounds of sons into a Graco double stroller and push them through my neighborhood.  If this sounds easy let me remind you that I live in Appalachia -- we have to create flat ground here to put houses on.  I only went 3/4 of a mile tonight, but will work back up to a 2.1 mile circuit that we have worked out.  I'll take the GPS next time to actually measure the elevation changes.
  • 100# Sandbag = loaded it off an on the truck tailgate from the ground a bunch and did a couple hill carries with it.

Sheaf
Threw my new Clevenger bag until I got tired.  It was dark outside and I have no idea how high it was going.  I was just working on putting it up with good technique.

Back to normal yoga and weights staring tomorrow.  It will be good to be back on my normal program. 

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/13 at 5:30am
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=478024032250911&set=a.123339171052734.32318.109293189123999&type=1&ref=nf

Tom,
Your prowler work rocks, course the Prowler Flu could come from you or the prowler!
Slow and steady on the training, don't want no concussions or torn muscles.
Great work.
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/13 at 11:15am
Thanks Bill.

Chiropractor today said that I'm okay apart from being foolish. 
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/13 at 12:13pm
Good work Tom...stay at it!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/13 at 7:39pm
Monday 3/18
Took the day off everything to let my trapezius heal a little bit more, to recover from my chiropractic adjustment, and to clear my head.  I think I did have a very mild concussion -- fatigue out of nowhere, difficulty focusing, etc.

Also won the HAN Golden Scoop contest, so free HAN for six months =

Tuesday 3/19
Surya Namaskara A morning yoga.
OHP 55x5, 75x5, 85x3, 105x5, 110x5, 120x7, 5x10@75
Hanging Leg Raises 3x5 (bicep is now able to support me hanging for all three sets)
Dips 3x10
Abs
All signs of head fuzziness are gone.  Barbells fix everything! Heart

Wednesday 3/20
Deadlift 125x5, 160x5, 190x3, 240x5, 255x5, 270x6, 3x10@160 then ran out of gas and time.
Abs

I also think I have a plan to put up my own crossbar for WOB and sheaf for very cheap.  Standby for the proof in photos if I can pull it off.

Tom

Edited by TomLawrence - 3/22/13 at 12:03pm
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/13 at 12:01pm
Thursday 3/21 (Happy Spring North America!)
Bench Press 95x5, 115x5, 135x3, 170x5, 185x5, 195x7, 5x10@115  Feeling a pinch in my right wrist.
Plate Wrist Curls 4x10 each hand with a 10. Aforementioned pinch gone now.
Kroc Rows 2x5@70, 1x11@70  per hand.  Can't really call this Kroc Rows at those low reps.  Will step back to 65.
Abs
Trap still bugging me, so I passed on yoga.

Friday 3/22 (Snowed again this morning... Screw Spring North America!)
Squats 95x5, 115x5, 140x3, 175x5, 185x5, 200x10.  Felt real wobbly after this for some reason so I skipped the BBB sets and did assistance work that allowed me to sit down.
Leg Extensions 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Rehab Curls 3x10 with a 40# straight bar.  Didn't suck!  I think those tendons are really getting better.
Abs

Going to try to eat better and sleep more this weekend to get rebalanced for lifting next week.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 7:51am
Nothing too exciting.

Saturday 3/23

Raining sideways so no throwing.
Re-welded my 56# again.  Fixed it good this time by preheating the steel with MAPP gas first.

Sunday 3/24
Snowing sideways so no throwing.
Full Ashtanga session in the evening.

Monday 3/25
Snowing sideways again so no throwing.
56# kettlebell swings x 40
Grip work.

Update on my Sheaf / WOB standards and crossbar master plan:
I have the bar made.  10" PVC with eyebolts at the end for mounting, an eyebolt in the center to hang a measuring rope, all silicone sealed to keep out the wasps, sand filled to dampen swinging, and duct taped fluorescent green so I can see it in film.

Step 2 will be hanging it here:

This is a TVA power line run in my back field.  If I already have giant steel poles, why not use them?

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 8:00am
You want the power engineer answer to that? Tongue
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 9:30am
I cleared it with the EMC, but if you see an imminent danger please let me know!

FWIW -- There are brackets part way up, so I won't be putting anything near the wires themselves.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 9:36am
Nah, I'm just FFFFFing with you. The poles themselves are fine, grounded and insulated from the lines.

I wouldn't toss sheaf over them, but WOB over a pole between them? Perfect :)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 10:45am
Thanks Sean!  Had me worried for a minute.

Incidentally I saved a 140 pound section and a 160 pound section of the old wood poles that used to be there and use them for farmer's carry.  Waste not...
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/13 at 8:20pm
Tuesday 3/26 - Friday 3/29

Absolute BASTAGE of a week!

It was the 3 week of the standard 5/3/1 cycle.  Apart from being pressed for time due to work, all went well and I set a couple PRs, in dead lift and bench if I remember correctly.  My workout log is in my gym bag in my office about 100 miles from here...

Also did my regular yoga and started doing a short kettle bell session each night with swings and goblet squats. 

No throwing at all due to snow, rain, and dark.  I was so frustrated by this that I tried just throwing in the dark Wednesday night.  Ended up losing my 16# and 20# stones in the woods and really proving that line drills in the dark are a bad idea.  Can't get the time back, so I'll just have to work harder this week.  I did recover the 16# and 20# later in the week.

As anyone interested in my novice ramblings has seen by now, if conditions are not right to throw, then I still try to do something related -- usually working on my homemade equipment.  Gotta keep the hands and the brain occupied.  So... I scored an antique three-tine fork head off eBay last week and used some of the bad weather and dark time to recondition, sharpen, smooth, and polish it.  If possible I'll mount it to a new handle tomorrow and get the taping started.  I'm thinking about naming it "Serenity" = from old and rusty to high-flying and shiny.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/13 at 10:43pm
Monday 4/1
Chiropractor says everything is top notch.  Right on.
Got the kids to bed  and had about thirty minutes to go throw before it got dark!  Hallelujah!

LWFD
Three throws from power position = abyssmal.  Nearly dislocated my shoulder.
Six full movement throws = one foul, two no-releases due to loss of control, one fair throw, two that I actually succeeded in throwing myself to the ground.
WTF!!!  I clearly have some kind of fundamental errors in the gross motor department, and now it has got in my head

Time to start completely over.  Picking up a 15 pound kettle bell tomorrow to work on line drills until I no longer have to think about it.  If that doesn't work, I'll step down to a 10 pound kettle bell.  Reviewing a lot of Jake Sullivan vids as well.

Heavy Hammer
Felt very stiff, but actually successful.  Threw until I got tired and lost the light.  Mostly just working on form and whether to go with two or three winds.  Tonight two was winning.

Acceleration Therapy
Went on a two hour motorcycle ride in the dark and the cold to clear my head and to pick up a Team Duncan donation from two counties over.  Came back with the reminder that this is supposed to be fun.  If it isn't fun, then I have two choices:  quit now or bring it back to a place where it is fun again.  Choosing the latter.

Back to the gym tomorrow.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 8:10am
Take it easy on those "power position" throws you can tear something real easy. Treat it more like a drill rather than a throw.
When you say full throw I assume you mean 2 turns. If I were you I would work more on a single turn. Driving to the trig hard. I heard somewhere that 90% of the throw is in the second turn. Master it then move on to the double turn.
Be careful! Don't fall and hurt your wrist like I did. It still hurts and makes training very difficult. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 8:14am
Thanks Glenn.  I absorbed the impact of both falls with my a$$.  Embarrassing but not injurious.

I'm correcting my attitude first -- then my form.  Distance will follow.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 8:16am
We will.fix.it.Friday.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

We will.fix.it.Friday.

You have your work cut out for you sir.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 8:22am
Wondering when Duncan is coming to Indiana to fix my WFD?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 11:22am
I've had the best teachers Tom...I'll give you the gospel.

I'll fix Tom and then Tom can help you W.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 8:11pm
Tuesday 4/2

Gym:
OHP 55x5, 70x5, 85x3, 105x5, 120x3, 130x3, 70x10 for five more sets
HLR 3x8
Dips 3x10
Tacos x3 mmmmm...

Home:
Braemar 16# x 5
Glide 16# x 5
Braemar 20# x5

Finished machining tang on antique fork head and mounted it to a new fork handle.  Waiting for silicone adhesive to cure before taping.  Sheaf is nervous.  I can tell.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 48>
  Share Topic