FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 48>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/13 at 10:10pm
Wednesday 4/3/13

Gym:
Dead Lift 135x5, 160x5, 190x3, 240x5, 270x3, 305x3, 160x10 for five more sets.  Good to be over 300.
Back Hyperextensions 3x15
Abs

Home:
Just a couple line drills with a 20# kettlebell.  Felt ok!  Controlled, pain free, and light on my feet.
55# kettlebell swings and goblet squats
Foam rolling.  Need to get back to more of this.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/13 at 4:09am
Thursday 4/4/13

Gym:
Bench Press 95x5, 115x5, 135x3, 170x5, 195x3, 215x4, 115x10 for five more sets
Kroc Rows 2x5, 1x20 @ 70 each hand
Abs

Home: 
Kettlebell work and foam rolling
Re-epoxied new old fork head to its handle.   The silicone stuff I had tried didn't cure.

Friday 4/5/13

Gym:
Squat 95x5, 115x5, 140x3, 175x5, 200x3, 225x4
Leg Extensions 3x10
Leg Curls 3x10
Abs

Home:
Kettlebell work and grip work
Taped up new old fork.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/13 at 10:23pm
Saturday 4/6/13
Child care and suffering asthma attacks from the pollen bloom.
Spent a few minutes finishing my new-old sheaf fork.  Turns out the head is pre-WWII.

Sunday 4/7/13
Hung my crossbar. 

Monday 4/8/13
Did some sheaf drills and throws.  I need to fix some hooking and to not step out as far from the bar, but I think I have the set up for better practices now.

Tuesday 4/9/13
Gym:
Deload week OHP - 45x5, 70x5, 85x5
Dips 2x10
HLR 2x5 (bicep did okay)
Chinups 1x5 (risky, but bicep did okay)
Rehab Curls 20x10, 30x10, 40x10 (no trouble)
Abs

Home:
Light Hammer -- first time ever throwing one for a real practice.  I  really liked it, and had a lot of fun.  Focusing on the orbit, keeping the body loose, and really opening into the sector on the release.  Each throw was better than the last, and by the time I had to stop, the best throw was at 56'.  Not too shabby for a first try.

Product Review for the Addidas Turf Hog LX after a couple of practices in them, rendered Dr. Seuss style:
I do not like these cleats at all
They are too narrow and make me fall
I do not like them one little bit
I declare these things a  piece of... shoe.

Back to throwing in my Hi-Tec hiking boots.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/13 at 10:55pm
Wednesday 4/10
Deload Dead Lift 135x5, 165x5, 195x5
Deload Squats 95x5, 115x5, 145x5
Abs
Got in, got it, got out

Thursday 4/11
Deload Bench Press 85x5, 115x5, 135x5
T-bars 3x10@50
Tricep PD 3x10@65
Abs

Friday  4/12 = Mini Throwing Clinic with Duncan McCallum (I was the 'mini' he was the 'clinic')

Light Hammer -- a few one winds, a lot of two winds
  • Identified problems with: low point of orbit, when the force and acceleration is applied to the hammer, not driving more with legs, tightening up in the upper body, not pulling all the way to release, and not releasing upward enough.  Then took simple steps at addressing each of those with minor adjustments.
  • Simply starting with the hammer head further behind me seemed to fixed several of things.
  • Not tightening up my chest pulling in my arms fixed a few more.
  • Getting my head back out of the way and pulling all the way to release fixed a couple more.
  • Homework = more reps, and after that... more reps.

Sheaf -- new old fork and the crossbar was set @13'.  I lost count of how many tosses I did.
  • Identified problems with: not squaring to the crossbar, how the sheaf was on the fork, being too tense in the swings before the drive, not driving to the right foot, not exploding enough / using my whole body, and not blocking consistently.  Then took simple steps at addressing each of those with minor adjustments.
  • Squaring with the crossbar fixed a lot of wasted energy.  The bag started dropping pretty much right behind me.
  • Relaxing and staying loose fixed a lot.  It's the old Bruce Lee concept of the one-inch-punch i.e. stay relaxed until the moment of action and then put your whole body into it.
  • Fixing the drive point, minor tweaks of alignment, and a proper block achieved a zen moment of a nearly silent release of the bag off the fork.  Behold Grasshopper, what is the sound of a proper sheaf toss?  Now I know.
  • Combining all these things and working on putting the ultraviolence in at the right moment had me clear the bar by some feet... seven times in a row. 
  • Homework = do all those things until I own them.  Then more reps.

Everything else was discussion of techniques until the boss lady put the big guy to work sorting Team Duncan t-shirts, which he did with the skill of an experienced AD.

Friday PM was Conditioning
  • Shouted motivation at a crowd.
  • Walked four miles for the March of Dimes.
  • Pushed a huge pile of donations their direction.
  • Missed dinner entirely.
  • Ate cottage pie and home baked bread at 11pm.
  • Fell down.

Saturday 4/13

Took my sons to the Kiwanis County Fair as a reward for their perseverance the night before.  Little Duncan got to ride the super slide.

Sunday 4/14

Conditioning through landscaping -- moved soil, sectioned up a blown down tree, carried logs, split firewood.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/13 at 11:00pm
Monday 4/15

LWFD (climbing back up to zero)

20# kettle bell:  throws from the board x3, single turns x6, doubles x 6ish.
-- Focusing on positions, making the orbit high on the side toward the sector, trying to stay relaxed.
-- Did ok.  Normal stretch.  No bicep or trapezius trouble.  Huh... relaxing helped.

28# weight:  throws from the board x3 (these just suck), single turns x2 (suck worse), doubles x 6ish.
-- Same as before:  focusing on positions, making the orbit high on the side toward the sector, trying to stay relaxed.
-- Started to feel better.  Staying relaxed is definitely the key for me.  When I tighten up it appears to be the main contributor to ganking everything up from the feet to the brain.
-- It isn't pretty and it isn't far, but my new zero is much better than my old zero.  I only fouled once, and I didn't get hurt.
-- I also beat my old PR by over a foot.  Huh....  I may be onto something here.

Things to fix next after thinking about it lot and reviewing other's videos:
-- Get my hand over so my thumb rather than my palm faces the sector.  I think this will help me keep from bicep-ing it around and relying on already damaged musculature before I pick the 56# back up.
-- Get a better sense of each position and where the pull is in each case.  This will just take reps.
-- More reps.

Conditioning -- walked with a horse around a training ring for an hour while safety spotting Duncan for hippotherapy.

Edited by TomLawrence - 4/16/13 at 4:20am
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/13 at 4:09am
Tuesday 4/16

Heavy Hammer
3 x one wind
3 x two winds
3 x three winds
3 x two winds
Working on applying the technique refinements from my LH session on Friday.  Distances were average for me, so I'm not there yet.   Two wind throws still seem to be the way to go.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/13 at 9:57pm
Wednesday 4/17 - compressed workout, no volume sets
Dead Lift 130×5, 165×5, 195×3, 245×5, 265×5, 280×5
Back Hyperextensions 2x15
Hanging Leg Raises 2x8

Thursday 4/18 - compressed workout, no volume sets
Bench Press 95×5, 115×5, 140×3, 175×5, 185×5, 200×5
OHP 55×5, 70×5, 85×3, 110×5, 115×5, 120×5

Throwing in the few minutes before dark, putting in the time to get the reps --

LWFD single turn drills a la Gene Flynn http:////www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeAZhEWKpxE
with a 20# kettle bell.  Not bad.  I have to keep reminding myself to sloooowwww down.  Hit the positions.  Work on being smooth.  Far will follow.  I did a bunch of these.

WOB drills with a 20# kettle bell.  Just working on the position and motor planning.  Trying to be smooth until it's time to be explosive.  Put it over the bar.  Pick it back up.  Repeat.  I did a bunch of these until it got too dark to be safe.

Nine days until the Triad Highland Games in Greensboro, NC. 

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/13 at 12:05pm
Friday 4/19 - compressed workout, no volume sets
Squats 95×5, 120×5, 145×3, 185×5, 195×5, 205×5
Rehab Curls (straight bar) 20x10, 40x10, 50x10  Not bad.
Abs

Also, a good 28# and 56# set of WFD weights arrived today from Mike Landrich.  He was kind enough to paint them bright yellow for me, because I have been known to wing my throwing implements off in the woods. One step closer to "real" equipment.

Saturday 4/20 - woodworking.

Sunday 4/21 - my throwing area is eight inches deep in clover, so I finally took the snow blade off the garden tractor and got it ready to mow the field instead -- in other words, did conditioning by moving big pieces of steel around.

Conditioning -- toddler prowlers for 1 mile.

Seven days until the Triad Highland Games in Greensboro, NC. 
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/13 at 10:22pm
Monday 4/22
Celebrated Earth Day by mowing down a bunch of clover.  Good mulch for the fallow garden, and now I have my throwing field back and my kids can get to the swing set without a map.

Evening throwing after dark
:

Light Hammer
3 x multiple winds with no release
10 x 2 wind throws at about 80%.
Just putting in the reps.  Distances were respectable for me.  Felt good.

HWFD
Three casts from the board.
Six or so single turn throws (a la previously mentioned Gene Flynn video).  Getting over my fear of the 56#.

I forget who posted it, but somebody mentioned working primarily the 56# WFD because it won't let you cheat.  You have to stick the positions, and because it's slower, you have time watch yourself do just that.  I can see that now.

Anyway, beat my distance from the 2012 Blairsville Games by almost two feet.  Moar reps!

Also it was just a great feeling practice.  Orion on one side, rising gibbous moon on the other, Polaris straight out from the trig.  Nice and cool outside and plenty of moonlight to be safe.  Righteous.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/13 at 9:28pm
Tuesday 4/23

Gym - compressed workout, no volume sets
Deadlift 130×5, 165×5, 195×3, 265×3, 280×3, 295×3
Good Mornings 3x10@95
HLR 1x10, 1x5  all the bicep would take
Abs

More throws by moonlight

WOB
20# kettle bell x 5 for warmup
56# x 6 all "no heights" with the bar at 9'
Am I discouraged?  Hell no.  The last time I practiced WOB, I strained my trapezius.  No trouble this time.
20# kettle bell a few more times just working on form.  Determined that I need to get my head further back to get the right path on the weight.  Good to know.

Stones
16# Braemar x 3
16# Open x 10
20# Braemar x3
20# Open x 5
Spins are a no-go right now.  Glides are barely functional.  I'm going to stick with the Hebert Hop.  It works every time.  Otherwise working on the components of good form.  Everything felt good.

Four days until Triad Highland Games in Greensboro, NC.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/13 at 8:16am
Wednesday 4/24 - compressed workout, no volume sets. 
Last gym day this week.
Bench Press 95×5, 115×5, 140×3, 185×3, 200×3, 210×3
OHP 55×5, 70×5, 85×3, 115×3, 120×3, 130×3
Abs

No throwing this night because it was raining, so there was no moon.

Thursday 4/25
Lifted a large Subway turkey on wheat.  Reps got easier the longer I went.

Throws
22# Hammer
3 x wind ups with no release
3 x 1 wind throws
3 x 2 wind throws
Felt good

28# WFD
3 x standing throws
3 x single turn throws
5 x full throws.
Still not pretty, but much better than it was.

Friday 4/26
Going to sheaf a little this morning after it warms up, then pack up and head to NC. 

Triad HG start in the morning.  It will by my first games of the season and only my second games ever.  Regardless of how I do in the pool of athletes, I feel so much more prepared than I did at last year's Blairsville games. 

One of the things Duncan McCallum talked to me about when he came to visit for the March for Babies, was (badly paraphrased), "Practice until you are at home in the trig.  That way when you get to competition and there are crowds and music and funnel cakes, you will still feel like you are in a comfortable and familiar place."  I'm going to keep that in mind and have fun.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/13 at 9:37am
Go for the diet funnel cakes! Throw high and far. Good luck!
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/13 at 4:00pm
Okay Okay How did you do? Hurry post something. Smile
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/13 at 5:08pm
Back from Triad HG - long drive home in the rain with my sons bored in the back seat, but home safely.

The Games were fun and the weather cooperated, so good news there.  They ran the As and the Women together, three women (one of which was Adriane Wilson), and I don't know how many As, but I'm going to guess ten or twelve.  The B group where I was had 10.

My events in order:
  • Sheaf -- 18'  PR.  They opened for the other novice and me at 16' which I cleared.  Regular opening height was 18' which I also cleared.  Missed at 20'.  Very happy with this. 
  • WOB -- no height.  Missed the opening height at 10', but a friend of mine int he group spotted what I was doing wrong on m second attempt.  In his words, "Tom, you gotta finish the throw."  D'oh!  I was releasing at about chin level.  I hung onto the weight longer for my third, and it looked much better, but didn't clear.  Still happy.  I'll get it.
  • 22# Hammer -- 51' 8"  BOOM!  over a 6' PR and that was on my third throw with each going farther than the previous.  I have broken the 50' barrier.   60' will be next.
  • 16# Open Stone -- 29' 9.5" which was a PR by about 4' I think, and actually pretty good for the group and the wonky stone.
  • 56# HWFD -- 12' 10"  on a single turn throw.  PR - as sad as that may sound.  I only in the last month got it to the point that it doesn't throw me.  This was good.
  • 28# LWFD -- 33' 0.5" PR.  I finally slowed down (imagine that) on my third attempt and hit the positions.  That felt good.
  • Caber -- no turn.  20' and 70#.  Three successful picks, but only got my hands right on the last try and got a good pull.  Didn't turn it though, and they scored it at 20 degrees I think.  I believe only three guys got it turned in the group, but I will have to verify.
  • 22# Braemar (old skool style) -- 19' 9.5".  We originally skipped Braemar due to schedule pressure after lunch, but we accelerated through the o-stone and weights so fast that we came back to it at the end; however, it would not count toward score.  The judge had us throw toes-to-board with strict foul no-moving-until-the-stone-lands rules.  I had three successful throws at 19' +/- inches.  The first was the longest.  I was pretty ragged by then.

I call a complete hat trick for the games:  1) didn't get hurt, 2) had fun, 3) did well.  I have no idea where I placed in the field, but if they key it into the database, I will post an update.  I'm pretty sure I wasn't last.

I also got to meet Adriane Wilson and Wes Kiser while I was there, so bonus on that.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/13 at 10:36am
5 PR's wow Tom way to go.
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/13 at 9:15pm
Thanks Glenn.  I have a long way to go, but that doesn't take away at all from how far I've come.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/13 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Thanks Glenn.  I have a long way to go, but that doesn't take away at all from how far I've come.

Tom

EXACTLY.

Well done, Tom!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/13 at 8:11pm
Monday 4/29
Very sore from Triad.  Went to get beat up by large blonde woman... er.. put back in line by chiropractor.  Nothing major out of whack = right on.  However, the muscles in my back were so tight she couldn't adjust me, so we had to do massage first... pity that. Embarrassed  Then she made me pay.  Censored

Tuesday 4/30
Gym:
OHP  55×5, 70×5, 85×3, 110×5, 120×3, 135×2, then 5x10@70 for speed.
HLR 8, 8, 5  bicep giving out.
Abs

Throwing:
20# stone -- toes to board x3, Braemar x3, Open (hop) x 3.  Best open was 22'
28# stone -- toes to board x3, Braemar x3.  Best Braemar was 15' 3"
I'm still throwing too much forward and not enough up.  Need to get my chest up and a good 45 degree push going. 
Beautiful sunset up in the field.  Free show.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/13 at 10:34pm
Some pictures from Triad

WOB (the one good release)

Heavy Hammer (how's that for height?)

Caber (I look much more impressive than I was)

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/13 at 6:28am
Pretty much lost the rest of last week between work schedule, weather, and the plague that has been going around.  I'm going to chalk it up to a mental health break and hit it hard back in the gym today. 

If it would stop raining for five minutes, I'd be able to throw!  Even if it doesn't it's bordering on warm enough to throw height events in the rain.  We'll see.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/13 at 6:42am
Monday 5/6
Gym (repeating last cycle due to liftus interruptus):
OHP 55×5, 70×5, 85×3, 110×5, 115×5, 120×7, then 5x10@70 for speed, but only got 7 on the last two sets.  Not as strong as I had hoped, but I think I'm still getting over being ill.
Abs

Throwing:
Sheaf -- trying out a new fork with longer tines, a longer handle, and 25% or so less weight.  Gotta find the  new rhythm, but the bag was going up.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/13 at 9:11pm
Tuesday 5/7
Gym:
Muscle Snatches 45x5, 65x5, 75x5
High Pulls 75x5, 85x5, 95x5
Brand new to both muscle snatches and high pulls.  I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot learning the movements, but hey...  I moved the dang weight.
Deadlifts 130×5, 165×5, 195×3, 245×5, 265×5, 280×7

Throwing:
Light Hammer
3 x 5winds with no release
A dozen or so two winds at about 85% - 90%  working on position, staying loose, speed of the head, and proper release.
3 x two winds at 100%  last one dropped at about 54' which I believe is a PR for the conditions in my sector.  These are getting better all the time.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/13 at 8:21pm
Wednesday 5/8
No gym today.

Throwing:
WOB practice with the bar set at the 10' opening height I missed at Triad HG
5 x 20# kettlebell.  All cleared easily.
5 x 40# kettlebell.  None cleared, but I hit the bar three times.
Pull just wasn't really there tonight.  No biggie; tomorrow is another day.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/13 at 9:29pm
Thursday 5/9
Reverse of yesterday -- all gym, no throwing.
Bench Press 95×5, 115×5, 140×3, 175×5, 185×5, 200×5
Kroc Rows 2x5@55 per side, 1x20@65 per side
Abs

A little yoga tonight.  Feeling beat-up from WOB practice last night.  I'll take that to mean I worked hard and am getting stronger.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/13 at 11:04pm
Friday 5/10
Squats 95×5, 120×5, 145×3, 185×5, 195×5, 205×7
Rehab Curls 40X10, 50x10, 60x10  Not bad.
Abs
Body just worn down this week.  Lots of time on the road making me hurt.  Need to rest over the weekend.

Saturday 5/11 and Sunday 5/12
Dodging rain, playing with kids, honoring my wife for Mothers' Day, and resting the body.
Also got the back field mowed and a new trig placed and lined.  This one is a little flatter and less beat up than the one I was using, so I hope to have a better time with the WFDs.
Back to throwing tomorrow.
13 days until Gallabrae in Greenville.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/13 at 8:54pm
Monday 5/13

Pic of the new set up -- the distance from the trig to the woods is 75', so a near term LH goal is to hit the trees!  The cone and dark stripe of earth is at 12' from the trig.  Everything from the trig forward is up slightly up hill.  My sheaf/WOB standards and bar is to the left.  Right now it has a max height of about 15' so I need to mount the ropes higher.

Throwing today:
Light Hammer
  • 3 x 5 wind no release
  • 5 x 3 winds @ not full power.
  • 2 x 2 winds @ not full power and they both went farther than all the three winds.  Settled -- sticking with 2.
  • 7 x 2 winds @ full power.  I was going to stop at three, but the third throw sucked.  The next four were better but still not as good as my second fully power throw. 
  • Best distance was 54' 4".  I did the math and the 'not full power throws' came in at 93% of the best distance.  I take that to mean that i can back down on those and just not worry about power while I nail some technique tweaks.

HWFD
  • 3 x standing throws from the board.  Working on position and each was a little better.
  • 5 x single turn.  Only one abort, all about 12'.  You can see the dug up earth around the cone in the photo.  Need to get the release much higher.  I am basically throwing flat.  Need a lot of work.
  • 5 x double turns.  Only one successful.  All the others were a mess.  Right now double turns are only a fast way to get tired and hurt.  I'll be sticking with single turns for a while to work out technique.

Sheaf
  • Several bottom up drills and many full tosses.  Trying to figure out a new fork that has a longer handle, longer tines, and is lighter than my other.  By the time I was done, I was throwing equally well with both.  Just need to get more power into the bag.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/13 at 10:05pm
Tuesday 5/14
Really abbreviated gym time.  Got in, got it, got out.
OHP 55×5, 70×5, 85×3, 115×3, 120×3, 130×5
Abs

Throwing Stones:
16#
Braemar x 5 best was 20' 3"
Hop x 5 best was 23' 5"
Single turn x 5, best was approx 20'.  Looked like a whiskey drunk fairy.

20#
Braemar x 5 best was 21' 8"
Hop x 3 best was 22"
Ran out of daylight at that point.

Did all these throws in rapid succession with no real rest between other than shagging the stone.  Not the best session but I'm getting better loft and trying to hit the 45 degree push more consistently.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/13 at 5:24am
Keep working that technique Tom. Distance and speed will come.

Noddin my head like yeah...
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/13 at 6:04am
^^^
Duncan sighting!

Thanks man. Thumbs Up
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/13 at 10:05pm
Wednesday 5/15
Lots of stress going on at work and at home.  Sooo... we pull.

Muscle Snatches 65x5, 75x5, 85x5  Still getting the technique and motor planning on these.
Dead Lifts 135×5, 165×5, 195×3, 265×3, 280×3, 295×5  Yeah.
Good Mornings 3x10 @ 115
Abs
Barbells fix everything.

Not throwing tonight.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 48>
  Share Topic