FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 48>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/14 at 12:19pm
Thursday 4/3/14

I was not very strong today, and I still need to make foam rolling a daily habit to ease the stiffness that hits about this time of the week.

Squats in max sets of 8
  • 45x10, 75x10, 95x10 to warm up
  • Then continuing sets of 8 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215
  • Gassed early on these.

DB Rows

• 4x8 with 70s

I'll see if I can sneak in some throwing later.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/06/14 at 2:52pm
Friday 4/7/14

Bench Press in max sets of 8

• 45x10, 55x10, 65x10 to warm up
  • Then continuing sets of 8 with 75, 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, 135 (all with FatGripz)
  • I hit the pain threshold with my left shoulder and stopped here.

Lat Pulldowns

• 4x8 @ 135

Saturday 4/8/14

Landscape Conditioning -- Tis the season
  • Moved a few hundred pounds of soil onto the truck and off of the truck and up a hill.
  • Raked a hill and moved a big pile of leaves
  • Moved my trig to a less torn up patch of ground and painted new lines
  • Laid in this years garden -- beans, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, garlic, and onions.  Taters will go in soon.

Sunday 4/9/14

Landscape Conditioning - a.k.a. warming-up Myagi-style
  • Seeded and fertilized new grass
  • Spread 25 ft^3 of peat moss

20# stone
  • Toes to board x 6
  • Braemar x 10
  • Open x 5, trying to learn a spin that works for me

Caber
  • Pick practice x 5

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/14 at 12:14pm
Tuesday 4/8/14

Deads in max sets of 3
  • Then continuing sets of 3 with 115, 135 (up through here with FatGripz), 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295, 315, 335
  • I tried 355, but it was made of neutron star
  • Then 3x3 @ 90% = 300x3, 300x3, 300x3
  • It meant some thing to me that my scale-back work set weights still started with a 3
Done. 

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/14 at 2:45pm
Wednesday 4/9/14

Push Press in max sets of 3
  • Then continuing sets of 3 with 75, 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165

Rickshaw Shrugs

• 4x8 with 135/s
  • I really feel like these are making a difference in WFD stability.  Before I started doing them (and got my actual WFD technique sorted a bit better), practicing WFD used to be very painful.  Things are much better now.

Some bicep and tricep accessories

• 4x10 each

Going to get my shoulder adjusted again on Saturday morning.  I'm tired of it hurting.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Britton L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britton L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/14 at 5:53pm
Tom,

It is great to read about the progress you are making. All your lifts have increased drastically, but your deads are most impressive. Keep up the hard work!

Britton
Smooth Goes Far
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/14 at 8:03pm
Thanks Britton!  How is the little one?  Can she hold a sheaf fork yet?

PM Throws
I went out with every intention of doing a bit of WOBbery, but... the hammer... it called to me.

22# Hammer
  • 1 set of winds to try to get my shoulder to behave
  • 10 throws before it got too dark
  • I need to trust my blades more so I can lean back and keep the orbit long.
  • I need more speed.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/14 at 12:13pm
Thursday 4/10/14

Absolutely dreadful day at work due to stress and lack of sleep; however, "The Iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. -- Henry Rollins"

Squats in max sets of 3
  • Then continuing sets of 3 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 245, 255, 265, 275 (PR)
  • The last rep was a little hitchy, but by the gods it went up.

DB Rows

• 2x10 with 70s
  • It was supposed to be 4 sets, but I spent my extra time in the squat rack... as is it should be.

Tom

Edited by TomLawrence - 4/10/14 at 2:37pm
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 2:57pm
Friday 4/11/14

Bench Press in max sets of 3

• Then continuing sets of 3 with 75, 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185
  • I exceeded the pain threshold of my left shoulder and stopped here. 

Lat Pulldowns

• 4x6 @ 150

I'll get my shoulder adjusted in the morning and then try to let it actually recover.  I miss sheaf practice though.  Cry

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/11/14 at 4:09pm
Congrats on the squat PR!
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/14 at 10:31pm
Thanks Bill!  It felt good at the time, but I am still sore.

I got my shoulder put back in at the chiropractor today.  It's in worse shape than I thought, but still not too bad.  There is some tearing going on the tendons, and I have been ordered to kinesio-tape it for four weeks and to watch the inflammation.  Just need to monitor how much and in what ways I abuse it..

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 7:30am
Stop bench pressing and see how your shoulder feels. My shoulders got so bad I went 10 years without benching. Then after running a Marathon they were giving free massages. The instructor came over and did NMT on my shoulders and freed up all that scar tissue from years of heavy benching! Stopped running and got right back into powerlifting. Enrolled in massage class and learned NMT. Added a shoulder horn to my workout and band pull a parts. Shoulders don't throb anymore! When you do bench do inclines and use dumbbell s held like /     \ rather than -     -.
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 12:55pm
All that sounds sane.  My weightlifting coach is due to provide me input on the same later today, and we'll see what the corroboration is.  He is really sensitive to exacerbating injuries, so I'm betting it will all line up.

Bottom line though is that it's more of a nuisance injury than a debilitation.  The trick is to keep if from crossing that threshold.  My chiropractor actually suggested I get some NMT in two weeks, so I probably will.  We can rebuild it.  We have tape.

What caused it has nothing to do with lifting or throwing.  I was helping Duncan into his seat in the car, got him a little too far away from my body, and dislocated my shoulder.  He's not as little as he used to be, and that's a good thing.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 10:21pm
No pressing at all for the next two weeks while my shoulder heals, so I will have to get creative with my workouts.  "What a damn nuisance!" -- Prince Vultan

I made lunches for the week tonight like normal, but decided to go cheap and make "Pipe Bombs":
Enchiladas containing organic chicken, Spanish rice and peppers, vegetarian refried black beans, cheese, and habanero sauce.  It takes all of twenty minutes to make a dozen of them, which I freeze in pairs to take to work.  The habanero sauce is in there just in case they go missing.  That way I  know who did it.

Dead lifts tomorrow.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 12:17pm
Tuesday 4/15/14

Deads in max sets of 5
  • Then continuing sets of 5 with 115, 135 (up through here with FatGripz), 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295, 315, 335, 355 (PR)
  • Then 3x5 @ 90% = 320x5, 320x0, 320x0  Seriously... after 17 sets and a PR, there was just nothing left in the tank.
  • My coach is an evil man, and if I could afford to feed him, I'd adopt him as a third son.
Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 5:51am
Congrats on the PR!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 6:30am
Thanks Bill.  At this rate, I'm slowly approaching respectability.  Now to translate some of that oomph into a sheaf...

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 7:23am
I love it when a plan comes together.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 7:43am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

I made lunches for the week tonight like normal, but decided to go cheap and make "Pipe Bombs":
Enchiladas containing organic chicken, Spanish rice and peppers, vegetarian refried black beans, cheese, and habanero sauce.  It takes all of twenty minutes to make a dozen of them, which I freeze in pairs to take to work.  The habanero sauce is in there just in case they go missing.  That way I  know who did it.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a man with a plan.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 7:44am
On another side note, the shoulder horn is underrated for its usefulness in solidifying the rotators.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:10am
In general my rotator cuffs are degraded, so I should probably get one.  And start working on my sweet mustache, of course.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:12am
Like a jacked John Oates!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:47am
^^^ this.

Any recommendations for what kind/strength/type/whatevah of band to use for pullaparts?  It is another form of shoulder stabilizer thing that Bill has recommended more than once, and I trust him on this.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 8:59am
Dear Private Eyes,

Iron Woody (hehehehehe...Beavis you said 'Iron'"...hehehehehe) makes good bands.  Start with the reds; they're cheap and easy.  Build up if you feel like you want moar.

Love these as part of my pre-game.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 9:13am
Also between sets of pressing. You can never do enough upper back work.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 9:26am
Dig and dig.  Thank you very much.

I also found this, which looks like gold:
http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/band-pull-apart-super-series-for-healthy-shoulders/

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 5:57pm
Thanks for posting the shoulder links!
Highland Games 40+ Masters Competitor &
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Purple Belt
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 9:50pm
Wednesday 4/16/14

Push Press on hold for the next two weeks
Trap, bicep, and tricep accessories instead, a.k.a gunshow.

PM Throws -- the field had dried out a little, so I set up a halogen flood on the roof of the garage and it worked like a charm.  Dark is no longer an excuse.

20# stone -- focusing on keeping my chest up
  • Toes to board x 5
  • Right foot back x 5
  • Braemar x 5 -- I am trying to in corporate the techniques most recently discussed here, and I'm not quite getting the timing from the ground yet.

28# LWFD
  • Fulford throws x 5
  • Single turn x 5 -- complete waste, timing way off
  • Double turn x 10 -- it took until the fifth throw before I got my groove, but I did get it.

PM Rehab
I was all set to buy a red band, but it turns out that Amanda had one!  So I started the Band Pull-Apart Super Series that I posted the link to.  It's good... seriously good.  I finished up and had an immediate improvement in medial rotation and a lessening of pain.  I don't want to hype it too much after a single go at it, but it looks very promising.

Squats tomorrow so I can regain my dignity from taking an 'arm day'.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 5:34am
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 8:59pm
Thursday 4/17/14

Squats in max sets of 5
  • Then continuing sets of 5 with 115, 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 245, 255
  • Then three more @ 90% = 230x5, 230x5, 230x5

Band Pull-Apart Super Series again tonight for rehab.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/19/14 at 3:46pm
Friday 4/18/14

Bench Press on hold.

DB Rows
  • 4x8 with 70s
Lat Pulldowns
  • 4x8 @ 135
Band Pull-Apart Super Series in the PM.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 48>
  Share Topic