FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 48>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/15 at 12:35pm
Wednesday 7/29/15

Dead Lift
  • 45x10, 75x10, 95x5, 115x5
  • Then singles with a pause at the top with 135, 55, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295, 315, 335, 355, 375, 395, 415 for a 10 pound PR.
  • I'll feel it tomorrow, but no injury.  Everything was solid.  Today was a good day.

For some reason the video won't embed, but here is the link:

https://youtu.be/U0-IhvP1w4k

Tom

Edited by TomLawrence - 7/29/15 at 7:38pm
Aim high. Stay hungry.
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/15 at 5:31pm
Nice lift, sir. 
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/15 at 7:40pm
Thank you Miss B.  It was exciting and a significant psychological victory if nothing else.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:47pm
Thursday 7/30/15

Push Press
  • 45x10, 65x10, 75x5, 85x5
  • Then singles with a 3 second pause at the top with 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195
  • I tried 205 and missed.  Still all good.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/15 at 7:44pm
Something so primitive as just picking the bar up off the ground and standing there, yet you get so much from it.  Changes the way you inhabit and walk the earth.  Hard to explain, but anyone who has done this and pushed themselves knows the hallowed ground of the pull.  Congrats on a PR.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/15 at 11:54am
Myles - I printed that out and put it on my bulletin board.  Thank you, sir.

Friday 7/31/15

Squats
  • Then singles with a pause at the bottom with 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295
  • Had to ease 315 down to the rails after the pause.  Still a good day's work, and my hips and back feel great.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/15 at 11:57am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

• 415 for a 10 pound PR

Boom.
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/15 at 3:40pm
Nice PR sir.   
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/15 at 10:57pm
Thank you gentlemen.  Still getting stronger a little at a time.

I also got on the scale this morning and my weight started with a 2 again. 

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 6:02am
Finished out the week with --

Bench Press
  • Then singles with a pause at the bottom with 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 215, 225.  Missed at 235, but pushed it up with a start from a spotter.

Then throwing:

28# LWFD
  • Hold the X drill
  • 5 x throws from the board
  • 5 x single turns
  • 10 x double turns
  • I need technical help on this one.  I made a change on the cast that has driven my speed way up going into both turns.  Now because of the increased force,  I find myself countering the weight and throwing while pulling against it - actually leaning back - by the time I get to the trig.  I don't have video, but I think this may be common enough that it is recognizable.  I'm pretty sure it's a footwork thing in the sprint, but I'd appreciate the input.  Advice on solving this?

22# Heavy Hammer
  • In blades
  • 2 x long sets of winds
  • 5 x single wind throws
  • 5 x two wind throws
  • 3 x three wind throws -- just out of gas at that point.
  • Not getting as much of a lift on the release as I wanted, but I can chalk this one up to just plain mobility and muscle building.  By the time I was done with hammer, my shoulders weren't crackling any more.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 6:27am
If you pulling away (left) from the weight it might be because your starting to pull before your left foot is down.   I like to try and look backwards when I am approaching the trig and try and drive the weight from the back to the front.  So im guessing your driving the weight too early before your left foot is down.
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 6:58am
If you get some video I can take a gander. My lizard brain needs to see it happening!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 10:05am
TROB's hypothesis sounds exactly right.  I'll see what I can do today if my shoulder can take it.  I think trouble will probably be obvious if I can get some film.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 10:39am
Lol....shouldnt be your shoulder hurting......knee and legs sure
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 12:27pm
Bench press, followed by LWFD, followed by heavy hammer yesterday... everything is sore, but the shoulders are the weak link.  I'm old.  And petite.  And balding.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 12:53pm
The holy trinity 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 10:46pm
Tony was right.  My right shoulder was not the limiting factor.  My hips were.  So, since a repeat of WFD would have been more baboon-like than usual, I followed through on my regular plan, and threw height events today.

56# WOB
  • Contrarian down-up drill, scored a couple of good gouges in my parking area figuring just how far I could sink on the weight.
  • Throws x 5.  All perfect.  Kept it at that for tonight, but I'm back on the WOB progression that DMcC put me on.. because it works.
  • What I fixed = pulling too early.  I cued in on something Mat$o said in one of his recent videos about a mistake he made pulling WOB and realized I was doing exactly that.

16# Sheaf
  • Throws x 20
  • Exactly as many misses.
  • Fortunately it was dark and nobody had to watch it.
  • My sheaf is in ribbons.  I need to make a new one.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Damien Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/15 at 12:27am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

• Contrarian down-up drill, scored a couple of good gouges in my parking area figuring just how far I could sink on the weight.

Hey Tom, could you describe this? Are you reaching back and dropping until the weight hits the ground?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/15 at 7:25am
Just swing the weight back and forth to your side (or between the legs) and work on feeling of reaching way back and then sinking with knees and hips to get it low.  
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/15 at 1:26pm
Damien,

I hit the ground a few times by sinking too low, but that is not the intent. 

It's what Tony described - basically the WOB setup without the big pull.  It's a timing exercise to teach the muscle memory where the drive comes from on the swing, how far the hips can go down to chase the weight before you pull, and where the low point should be.  I got it out of Mike and Mindy Pockoski's Contrarian Approach to Highland Games training materials.  It's a good warmup for me to get my body ready, and to find flaws like the one I just corrected with pulling too early.

By pulling too early I wasn't letting the weight fall far enough first, so I was pulling it out of its downward arc without getting any gain from it.  I also wasn't able to pull all the way through.  It's rookie stuff that you are probably way past.

Tom

Edited by TomLawrence - 8/04/15 at 10:09pm
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Damien Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/15 at 6:52pm
Makes sense, thanks. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/15 at 12:35pm
Wednesday 8/5/15

Dead Lift
  • Then sets of 4 with 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275
  • All there was in the tank that day.

Thursday 8/6/16

Push Press
  • Then sets of 4 with 95, 102, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155

Unweighted dips and cable curls followed.  Rehabbing my right elbow and left bicep a little.  Just wear and tear.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 12:31pm
Friday 8/7/15

Squats
  • Then 4s with 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275
  • Hitchy and slow, but got it done.

Duncan started 3rd grade today and The Destroyer started Kindergarten.  I swear, the older I get, the faster it happens.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 2:35pm
Pictures...or it didn't happen.

(Of the boys...I know you are working.)
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 3:13pm
A new chrome plated walker is on order but not here yet.  They made Duncan's classroom as accessible as possible and he get's a direct ramp from the car drop-off lane into his classroom.

Confirmed earlier this week at the pediatrician, Roland and Duncan are the same height.  Roland's adult height is currently projected to be 6'2", and he has already stated, "I want to learn to throw heavy things!"  Me too, buddy.  Me too.

They both had good first days, and there will be a celebratory Dairy Queen trip coming up tonight!

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 7:52pm
That's just great man. Please give them hi fives for me!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/15 at 7:07am
Damn you guys start school early!!  We dont start till after labor day!!  Been enjoying the pics the wife has been putting on the facebook man.  Keep up the good work.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 1:33pm
Ended up last week just feeling beat up.  My lower back had some rude inflammation going, and my SI joint was poppin' and lockin' like Turbo.  Apart from a Yoda hike on Saturday, I took the weekend to recover. 

Monday 8/10/15
Core and mobility work. 

Tuesday 8/11/15

Push Press
  • Then doubles with 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195
  • >200 will be there when it's time to try it again

The family and I looked at the rest of the games season now that my back seems more reliable.  Given Duncan's rehabilitation timeline and the boss lady's work and race schedule, it looks like I am done for the year having only done one games (NTKO which I threw injured).  I'm going to look at the positive side of this and say that's just more time to continue to get stronger and more technically proficient without a deadline any closer than early 2016 season Florida games.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 3:50pm
Keep loggin brother..... accountability
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/15 at 12:10pm
But of course.

Wednesday 8/12/15

Dead Lift
  • Then doubles with 135, 155, 175, 195, 215, 235, 255, 275, 295, 315, 335, 355
  • Called it there while the pull was still smooth
  • Avoiding overconfidence, or as I like to call it, "The ability to lose gains."

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 48>
  Share Topic