Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 48>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/13 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Monday 5/13

Nice setup,  Tom.  I'm enjoying the telephone pole uprights....just a tiny tad bit beefier than what I set up for our practice group!!
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/13 at 10:09pm
Thursday 5/16

Gym:
Kroc Rows 2x5@55 per arm, 2x15@70 per arm
Bench Press  95×5, 115×5, 140×3, 185×3, 200×3, 210×5, then 5x10@115 for speed
Abs

Throws:
Heavy Hammer = 2x 5wind warmups, 10 not-full-power throws, 3 full power throws
Sheaf = bunch of throws, no love.  Need to start over with some drills.

Alan -- I need a taller ladder and two eye bolts with toggles on them to move my rope guides up higher.  Of course, if I have another sheaf practice like tonight... grrr...

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/13 at 9:13am
Friday 5/17
Squats 95×5, 120×5, 145×3, 195×3, 205×3, 220×6
Rehab Curls 40x10, 50x10, 60x10
Leg Extensions 3x10 @ 70/s
Calf Ext 2x20 narrow then wide

No throwing.  Body trashed.

Saturday 5/18
Conditioning by assisting/carrying a 38 pound son for most of the day.
Duncan had three birthday parties to go to, the first of which was his own, which we had at the local gymnastics center.  The little guy is now 6.  Where does the time go?

Three generations:  me, Duncan, and Poppa.  Note the Team Dickens shirt!

Right bicep trashed by the end of the day.  Buggerall.

Sunday 5/19
Bicep more trashed than I realized.  Need to rehab it before next weekend's games.
Worked on sheaf fork a little, and planned a new piece of conditioning equipment.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/13 at 12:48pm
Mueller neoprene elbow sleeves will help. Wear them when you throw.
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/13 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by KiltBill KiltBill wrote:

Mueller neoprene elbow sleeves will help. Wear them when you throw.

I do!  I'm actually wearing one in the gym photo above.  I don't think I could get by without them. 

I have an old tendon injury that is taking forever to heal (like they do), but the old lacrosse ball, ice, TigerBalm treatment does wonders.  I restarted that today, and threw sheaf no problem.  More on that later.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/13 at 10:21pm
5/20/13

Sheaf!
After last Thursday's disappointment, I had an epiphany about the way I was blocking; so I went back out today and got my mojo back.  All it took was blocking a bit higher and staying relaxed until the point of explosion.  My bar is currently set at 15.5' and I cleared it ten times in a row, some of which were by multiple feet.  Considering my current PR is 18', I think I'm back on track.

Started with 5 bottom up drills, then twenty throws with alternating forks.  All good.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/13 at 9:49pm
5/21/13

Gym -- compressed workout, no volume sets
OHP 55×5, 70×5, 85×3, 110×5, 120×3, 135×5
Dead Lift  130×5, 165×5, 195×3, 245×5, 280×3, 315x3
Good strong day

Throwing
LH  2x5winds no release, 5x80%, 3x100%  Nice and easy
LWFD 3xsingle-turn, 10xfull-turn.  Ended up messy just due to fatigue.

Four days until the Greenville Scottish Games.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/22/13 at 9:34pm
5/22/13

Gym -- compressed workout, no volume sets
Bench Press 95×5, 115×5, 140×3, 175×5, 200×3, 220×2
Squat 95×5, 120×5, 145×3, 185×5, 205×3, 235×3
Last lifting day this week. 

No throwing.  I'm so sore from yesterday's combination of OHP, dead lifts, and throwing that I just need to give the body a break.

Three days until the Greenville Scottish Games.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/13 at 10:27pm
5/25/13  Greater Greenville Scottish Games and Highland Festival, Greenville, South Carolina
This was by far the largest Highland Games I have been to.  There was one group of As, two groups of Bs, two groups of Masters ('young' and 'old'), and one group of Women.  I threw in the 'young' Masters group, which was ages 40-49.  There were eight of us, and it was an extraordinarily fun group that included John Allen, Dave Fulford, and Randy McClure.  I also got to meet Eric Snow while I was there and to see Adriane and Joe Wilson again.  They are always fun.

Events in order of competition:
Heavy Hammer -- 50' 10" for 5th.  Not a PR but not far from it.
Light Hammer -- 68' 9" for 6th.  PR.
Braemar Stone (22#) -- 21' 10" for 6th.  Not bad, but not great.
Open Stone (16#) -- 27' 4" for 5th.  Also not bad, but not great.
HWFD (42#) -- 19' 4" for 7th. Weak, must work on this.
LWFD (28#) -- 29' 9" for 8th. 
Weak, must work on this.
Sheaf (16#) -- 16' for 7th.  Took three tries.  The next height was 19' which I missed.  I am throwing about 18.5' on average. 
WOB (42#) -- 10' for 7th.  It took three tries to clear 9', but finally Dave, Randy, and especially John, said, "Get your head out of the way and look up at the bar!"  Then I cleared 10' on the first try.  By the time we were throwing 11', I was out of gas and hit the rotation right that I was throwing with only one person between or right after myself.  I am throwing high enough, but I am throwing straight up, so it's not going over.  Still, I had never heighted in this event before, so this was a major accomplishment.
Caber (marked 18' 2" and 115#) -- 15 degrees for 6th.  This was an ugly piece of lumber.  It was pretty much all knots, and very top heavy.  The people with lots of experience were able to turn it.  Those of us with less, could not.  Nature of the beast.

This was a very professionally run game.  John and his crew were top notch, and since I followed Wheaton's Law, I hope to be welcomed back next year.

Photos --

Up was not clearly not the problem.  Over was the problem:

Ugly caber:

Duncan was practicing on the track (went 3/4 of a mile) while I was throwing stones and WFDs.  While he was there, he met a nice girl, but we understand she's already spoken for.  Little brother Roland playing in the long jump sand in the background:

Blairsville in two weeks!

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/13 at 6:16pm
A few things Tom:
First, You and your son are inspiring to me and many more here on NASGA so Keep it up.
Second, Take a step back on the WOB. I like to be almost directly under the bar. If you aren't careful you can develop a bad habit of trying to throw it behind you. Focus on throwing straight up this will put all of the energy into height. The slight natural curve of the throw will push it behind you. (same on sheaf)
Third, Big fat sticks move fast but want to turn really bad. When the timing is right it will turn easier than you think it should
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:02pm
Glenn -- I take it all as a learning experience!  Thanks for the word on the little guy.

5/28/13

Gym -- deload week
  • OHP 55×5, 70×5, 85×5
  • Dips 5 set of 10
  • HLR 3 sets
  • Abs

Throwing to Back in Black
  • Light Hammer = 80% throws with no rest, i.e. throw, shag, throw, etc.  Reps from "Hell's Bells" through "What Do You Do for Money Honey?"
  • HWFD = slow single turn drills to  try to get over my horrendous form.  Not much success.  Reps from "Let Me Put My Love Into You" through "Back In Black"
Still sore from Greenville, so I probably did too much.

Edited by TomLawrence - 5/29/13 at 3:54am
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/13 at 10:51pm
WFD video?
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/29/13 at 3:54am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

WFD video?

Will do.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/30/13 at 9:29pm
Wednesday 5/29/13
Gym -- deload week continues
  • Dead Lift 130×5, 165×5, 195×5
  • Muscle Snatches 3x10@65
  • Back Hyper-extensions set of 30
  • Abs

No throwing.

Thursday 5/30/13
Gym -- moar deload!
  • T-Bars 5x10@45
  • Bench Press 95×5, 115×5, 145×5
  • Abs

Throwing: LWFD Practice in the half hour right before dark with Dirty Deeds... Done Dirt Cheap
  • 3 x standing throw
  • 3 x single turn
  • 24 x full turns
  • Ye gods I am a slow and awkward man.

The obvious problem is that I'm very slow and that I'm throwing the weight flat at best.  If I can get the path to be closer to 45 degrees, I might get somewhere.

All right ladies and gentlemen... tear it up:

Aim high. Stay hungry.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/13 at 7:51am
+1 dirty deeds

lol @ #24 in the dark, I've been there plenty of times

overall this isn't as bad as you think. I was talking to Duncan last night and he asked me to peek in here and take a gander.

Here's a few things I see from start to finish, though not necessarily things that stuck out to me in that order.

1) you're early out of the back. As soon as the weight starts falling (when it's behind you, travelling to your right) you start turning. Don't do this. You can clearly tell you're jerking the weight and this is setting you up for failure. Allow the weight to fall back to it's low point (which should be right behind your right leg). Once the weight hits its low point (it will feel its heaviest) then you start turning.

2) you drive the weight, don't let the weight drive you. Your first turn is pretty solid. Can it be tweaked to be more efficient? Certainly, but for now, it's getting the job done. Pause the video and look at the position you're in when your left leg touches the ground after the first turn. You land 50/50 weight distribution on your right/left legs. Now go forward 1/4 a second and pause it again. Your weight isn't on your left leg until the weight is at approx 2:00 (the trig = 12:00). You're letting the weight pull you forward and dictate your sprint. Basically whatever force you're giving the weight on that first turn, is being used up on the second because you aren't CONTINUING to apply force to the weight. Now fast forward to when your left leg touches after the second turn. The weight is moving dreadfully slow and the orbit angle has dropped to being much flatter. As a result you're bending at the hips for a last chance attempt to get some power on the finish. Instead of bending at the hips, you need to keep your chest up and finish high. Bend at the knees, sink down and drive the weight up over the trig. As soon as your left foot lands you need to be shifting your weight onto it. Imagine your left leg is on the trig and you're doing a 6" step up. Use your left leg to push the weight into the field. It's not a pull, it's a push. Chest up, big push. Back to the sprint phase real quick before I finish. As soon as your left leg touches the ground, after the first turn, you need to shift your bodyweight forward onto it so you can push off your left. YOU are controlling the weight, not the other way around.

Hope that helps some.

oh, and solid playset in the background. I'm actually going to Costco this weekend to get one for my kids. Can't wait to spend 16 hours putting it together, SWEEEET!! lol
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/13 at 1:24pm
Jake,

Thanks for the technical breakdown.  It will take me while to unpack and process it, but having trigger points (do this here, do that next) seems to be what works for me.  I will let you know and hopefully post another video soon which shows immense progress.

Duncan also pointed out to me in slightly different language, that I'm hopping.  I'm making two circles rather than an initial switch and a true sprint.  The same things you pointed out, just different words on it.

You have my gratitude, sir.

On the playset -- do yourself a favor and deck stain the lumber before you assemble it.  It frustrated my wife that I insisted on that, but it makes it more durable in the end.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/13 at 7:59pm
Friday 5/31/13

Gym -- deload week conclusion
  • Squats 95×5, 125×5, 145×5
  • Calf Extensions 2x20 @210 narrow and wide
  • Abs - I have been adding a long set of twists while holding a plate to my normal ab protocols and I think I'm seeing the benefit in my throws.  Can't hurt anyway.
No throwing.

Saturday 6/1/13
Lots of conditioning, followed by throwing to '74 Jailbreak
  • HWFD - 3 x single turn drills, 3 x full turn drills, 3 x single turn drills.  The weight was overpowering me today, but the victory for the day was managing a couple of full turns without the weight throwing me out of the trig.
  • LWFD - aaaaand I owe Jake a rack of ribs.  I started by fixing just #1 from his post above and by the time I got to the end of '74 Jailbreak, I had a 3' PR for this up-hill trig.  Just fixing the cast got my orbit much higher, and even with sloppiness at the front of the trig, I was able to manage much better releases.  The weight started to hit and bounce once rather than hitting and scudding along the ground for ten feet.  I will start next time by repeating this to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and then move on to properly loading my left leg.  One thing at a time, but I'm seriously encouraged.  If I continue to improve, I will video it again.

Note:  so why all the AC/DC music?  I normally don't listen to music at all when working out or throwing, because as Bruce Lee used to advise (badly paraphrased), "If you are listening to music, you are not focusing fully on what you are doing.  Worse, it can force you into its rhythm, rather than you finding  your own correct rhythm."  However, AC/DC is always a good morale booster, and the FFFFF-ing cicadas are so thick up here in the trees that their noise is no longer a buzz.  It is a 100Hz howl so loud that (I verified today) you can hear it over a 2-stroke weed trimmer, and sounds like some kind Wookiee torture devised by the Empire.  AC/DC is enough to fix that.

Blairsville in one week.  I wish I had another month, but I will meet it where I am.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/03/13 at 9:21pm
Sunday 6/2/13
No train on Sunday; maybe be some come Monday.

Monday 6/3/13
No Gym

Throwing and High Voltage:
Super secret, secret stones drill.  By the end of practice I had tweaked a couple of things in my Braemar technique that made a measurable difference in the amount of power I was able to put behind the throw.  Need to translate that in to o-stone power position, but I think it will work there as well.

Also re-hung my crossbar earlier today.  I haven't run it all the way up yet, but I should be able to set it above 20' now.  I'll practice sheaf later this week and find out.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/04/13 at 10:11pm
Tuesday 6/4/13

Gym -- compressed workout, no volume sets:
  • OHP 60×5 75×5 90×3 110×5 120×5 125×5
  • Abs

Throwing:
  • WOB -- warmed up with a 40# kettle bell, threw the 56# about 8 times.  The bar was set at 9' and I didn't clear any of them, but all were close and didn't significantly degrade throughout the throws.  I'll get it.
  • Sheaf -- set the bar at 18' and threw about 15 times.  None went over, but I just tried to stay loose and have good technique.
  • Overall disappointing lack of power tonight.  Meh, tomorrow is another day.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/13 at 10:21pm
Wednesday 6/5/13
  • Dead Lift 135×5, 170×5, 205×3, 255×5, 270×5, 290×5
  • Abs

Slammatocious thunderstorm, so no throwing.  Probably for the best too.  I tweaked something in my back that seized up on the drive home and felt like people describe sciatica.  Fortunately, I yoga'd whatever it was back into place and the pain started to go away.

Thursday 6/6/13
  • Bench Press 95×5, 120×5, 145×3, 180×5, 190×5, 205×5
  • T-Bars 3x10@45
  • Abs

Throwing:
  • Light Hammer -- 2 x 5 winds for warm up, 10 throws @ 80%  Nice and easy.
  • HWFD -- 2 standing throws (these just don't do anything for me), 5 single turns, 6 full turns.  I managed 5 out of the six full turns to be fair and straight out from the trig.  Solid.
  • Got over-zealous and tried to throw some LWFD as well.  I shouldn't have bothered, because by that time I was fatigued and the trig was turning into slippery mud.  Chalk it up to an exercise in damage control and not getting injured.

Friday 6/7/13 -- no training, just resting.  Whatever I did to my back on Wednesday is fully resolved.  No issues.

The Blairsville Games start tomorrow with As and Masters throwing.  The B group (including me) and the Ladies' group will throw on Sunday.  We had more rain today so I expect the field will be interesting for the throwers tomorrow.  It may rain again on Sunday, so it may be more interesting for us Bs.

If you are traveling to the games, I'll see you tomorrow and Sunday.  We're easy to spot with Duncan in his red dragster or his walker, so come say high if you get the chance.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/13 at 4:58am
So how did you do?
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/13 at 10:32am
The short answer is great; however, there is a long answer as well.

Blairsville 2012 was my very first games, so Blairsville 2013 is my one year benchmark game.  Here is the year in review:

Sheaf

WOB

Open Stone

21.8#

Caber

22# Hammer

56# HWFD

28# LWFD

Blairsville 2012

N/H

N/H

21’ 4”

65 deg on

105# stick

45’ 0”

10’ 11”

24’ 10”

Blairsville 2013

16’

9’

PR

24’ 2.5”

PR for this stone

20 deg on

135# stick

52’ 1.5”

PR

15’ 3.5”

PR

35’ 10”

PR

Essentially I PR'd in everything except sheaf and caber!  How is that for a day?

On sheaf, I just couldn't seem to get the 'up' going.  I'll chalk it up to nerves, but there is no real excuse.  I should be hitting 20' by now, so I have work to do.

Caber was the same stick that Masters threw on Saturday. They had no turns, we had no turns.  I got two picks but couldn't hang onto it, so both were a quick dump for angle to get on the board.

The big news for the day was 9' in WOB.  I had never heighted in 56# WOB until yesterday.  I was so excited that I ran off the field to hug my wife.

Overall we had an excellent field of eight Bs.  My scores ranked me just above last for the field, but if you put my 2013 numbers into the 2012 field, I would have placed something like 5th.  All that to say, everybody did pretty well.  Two new guys (Kyle Davis and Zach Padgett) were the ringers of the group.  They have been working with Chris Cook some and are going to be lads to watch.  Kyle set four new field records, and it was his very first game.

I also got to throw with good friends - Andrew Cook, 'Big Daddy' Davis, Britton Leitch, and Jason Woods.  Rich Gideon was our judge and Butterbean filled in as a secondary judge.  I got to spend a little bit of time talking to K.C. Cummings and Joe Wilson came on field to do some coaching with us on stone and caber.  The third new guy, Tommy Robertson came all they way from Orlando, and did very well.  I hope it was worth his trip.

All in all, a fantastic example about how the best part of this sport is the people.

Tom

Edited by TomLawrence - 6/18/13 at 6:49am
Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/10/13 at 2:03pm
Congrats on the PR's!
Make a slosh pipe and train with it a couple times a week. Really builds the obliques and caber accessory muscles.
Bob Gourlay used to call me Dances With Caber before I started with the slosh pipe, now it's pick and go.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/13 at 8:56am
Slosh pipe now in the queue Bill:  http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Slosh-Pipe-and-Get-a-Killer-Core
Thanks brother.

I'm also going to build a prowler, just 'cause:  http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/04/27/how-to-make-a-diy-prowler-sled/

Tuesday 5/11/13
Gym:
  • OHP 60×5, 75×5, 90×3, 120×3, 125×3, 135×3, then 5x10@75 for volume sets
  • Tricep PD with rope 5x10
  • Abs
Second day soreness from the Blairsville Games hit this morning, so this workout was not fun.  Just got in, did the prescribed weight and hobbled back out.

No throwing.  Taking a short mental break to work on other things that need my attention.  Also posted Duncan's celebration video in the March of Dimes "Warrior Training" thread.   Go see it if you haven't.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/13 at 9:08am
Also just for humor's sake, two quotes from the boss lady regarding the Blairsville Games --
  1. Regarding my inability to remember sunscreen, "I love you no matter what color your neck is."
  2. Regarding Joe Wilson's observation that Britton and I were the only two throwers in the B division that didn't have beards, "Nah, it [growing one] wouldn't help."

Keepin' it real. Confused

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/13 at 12:24pm
Wednesday 5/12/13
Woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck.
Gym:
  • Muscle Snatches 3x5@65
  • Dead Lifts 135×5, 170×5, 205×3, 270×3, 290×3, 305×3  The three work sets were complete grinders.
  • Abs

Whoa... my back is a mess.  No gas in the tank at all.

Thursday 5/13/13
Apparently the same truck caught me coming the other way last night.
Gym:
  • Bench Press 95×5, 120×5, 145×3, 190×3, 205×3, 215×3, then 5x10@120 for volume.
  • Abs

Still no gas in the tank.  Back is still a mess, but better than last night.  Barbells fix everything.

Forgot to mention that some older gentleman in a Mercedes CLK-something backed into my Tacoma at the gym on Tuesday.  No damage, so no harm done;  but my games gear (chairs, EZ-up, fork, etc.) were still in the truck, and the impact dislodged things that were balanced here and there.  So I climb out of the truck to see who hit me and what it did... while holding a polished pitchfork.  At least I had the presence of mind to think, "Um.. this doesn't look good." and quickly stash it back before he got out of his car.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/13 at 6:47am
Catching up --

Friday 6/14/13
Gym:
  • Squats 100×5, 125×5, 150×3, 205×3, 215×3, 230×3
  • Rehab Curls 3 sets
  • Abs
  • Overall dreadful week.  Spent the whole time hurting from the hair down (props to Trob for that phrase, I love it). 
I planned to get back to some throwing over the weekend, but managed a mild concussion on Friday night.  I was letting my tractor down off a farm jack, when the jack slipped a notch and jerked the handle out of my hand.  Four feet of steel with a knurled plastic grip then whipped up and caught me a glancing blow in the left temple.  Whole lot of dark and a whole lot of blood, but not a whole lot of real damage.  I was very lucky to not catch it in the jaw or the eye.  Still I rested over the weekend instead of training.

Monday 6/17/13
Chiropractor fixed half a dozen spinal and sacral misalignments and gave me an exercise to do for a week to correct my whacked balance.  Concussion is slowly fading.  Going to deload a week early to get things back straight and then restart this 5/3/1 cycle next week.

Edited by TomLawrence - 6/18/13 at 8:26am
Aim high. Stay hungry.
jasgwoods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasgwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/13 at 8:15am

Keep up the good work Tom.. By the way, your dates are off by one month. I hope thats not a result of the concussion.. Smile

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/13 at 8:27am
Thanks Jason.  Fixed.  Clearly I need to go back to the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/19/13 at 9:30pm
Tuesday 6/18/13
Gym Deload
  • OHP 60×5, 75×5, 90×5
  • Dips 3x5
  • Leg Raises 3x10
  • Abs

Wednesday 6/19/13
Gym Deload

• Dead Lift 135×5, 170×5, 205×5, 3x10@135 sumo
  • GHR 3x10
  • Abs

Planned to throw a little tonight, but storms rolled through.  Still getting over chiropractic realignment and concussion nuisance.  Ready to be better.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 48>
  Share Topic