FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log Glenn Sciscoe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 5:01am
Always seems to happen that way.  We get spun up (no pun intended) right before competition and do things we shouldn't.  I hope you heal quickly brother.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 7:02am
If I threw the LW 30x in one session, I wouldn't be able to feel my hand.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/17/13 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

If I threw the LW 30x in one session, I wouldn't be able to feel my hand.

Good thing is I suck so bad I don't put any serious force on my arm. No, really I knew better. I was getting tired and I think that's what made me fall.
Lesson learned!
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/13 at 9:15pm
Ok third day after my fall my wrist still hurts but I thought i would throw a little to test it out.
I started with the wifes LW and threw it.
no turn 3 times
1 turn   3 times
2 turns 3 times
only using about 60-70% and it felt pretty good so i grabbed up my LW
no turn 3 times
1 turn  3 times
2 turns 3 times @ 60%
2 turns 2 times @ 90%
Wrist is a little sore tonight but not bad.
I think with some tape I will be ok on Saturday.
I worry a little about HWFD, WOB cause I will be throwing the 56# and the braemar cause I can't bend my wrist back as far as I need.

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 6:51pm

So Ancient Athletics doesn't have it on the NASGA database yet but here is how C class went down at the Shammies (first comp 2013)
As you can see it was real close.
I tied my son for 2nd at WOB
then I took first in sheaf, Hvy hammer, and caber.
these were all game PR's for me and the biggest caber I have ever turned 105# 14'8" I think. I turned a 11:00 on my second try then one of the other guys turned a 11:30 so I had to get a 12:00 on my last try and some how did.
Then things went down hill as we started in to my worst events stones and WFD. Somehow I still pulled out a first place win.
I feel kinda bad for my son cause he didn't place. Talk about close .5 point between 2nd 3rd and 4th
So as promised on to masters.
I will be in reynoldsburg OH in 2 weeks then back to IL for the May games in 6 weeks.
I also want to mention that my wife won 1st in the women's class this is her 3rd 1st place finish in a row. I am so proud of her and my son. I couldn't think of anyone I would rather be doing this with.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/13 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by wsciscoe wsciscoe wrote:

Competition goals:  Win a C class! Beat my 16 year old son that took third in Indy.

Check and check.  What's next brother?

Congratulations to all three of y'all.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/13 at 8:15am
Tom,
Next would have to be win a masters class games of course. It's not going to be easy I will have to get a lot stronger and practice practice practice.

My son has beat me once and I beat him once so guess what? Tie breaker! In May I will join B class with him and have a showdown.

Threw a little wfd last night and realized how stiff I have gotten so I need to get back in the gym and work on some yoga
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/13 at 1:46pm
Friday:
Gym: tons of box jumps. seated, jumping off one onto another, springing off right leg landing on box with left and jumping over. (working on transforming my body into a Tigger)
Medicine ball work, jumping and throwing and springing off the right leg and throwing.
Kettle bell work. kinda like swing but more like a snatch up to the chin and jump at the top.
I really need to learn the names of these so I don't sound ignorant.
Sunday:
eat candy.
Gym: strict OH press 65 x 7
                                      75 x 7
                                      85 x 7
Kroc rows 3 x 70 x 10 each arm
hammer curls 30# x 10
                      35# x 10
                      40# x 10
                      each arm

Eat more candy
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/13 at 9:29am
Originally posted by wsciscoe wsciscoe wrote:

Threw a little wfd last night and realized how stiff I have gotten so I need to get back in the gym and work on some yoga

My question is always this: What do you do to warm your body up before you throw? If it's "grab an implement", you need to adjust a little :)
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/13 at 6:54pm
Sean, I usually warm up on the treadmill or bike and some stretches and jumps to get my old hips moving. Ok fine sometimes I just grab and throw.
I think I was so stiff this week cause we competed on Saturday and didn't do squat for a couple days. Next week after we compete in Reynoldsburg I will definatly do some active recovery.

BTW what is the best way to warm up before games (no treadmill or bike)

Sunday night: light hammer 3 warm up throws and 5 full throws
Monday: WOB 42# 3 @ 12, 2 @ 13, 2 @14
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/13 at 6:14pm
Glenn, 

I have noticed warm-ups vary among competitors. Some guys will foam roll, others do some sort of stretching, dynamic warm-ups, or stretch bands, while others do nothing at all. 

Find what works best for you and make it your routine at each comp.

BTW, my warm-up in the gym or practice usually involves walking to the field or loading 45's on the bar. I probably should do something more but I get lazy.
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/13 at 8:17pm
Thanks Sean. I definitely need a foam roller I hear they are great.
Good job at the Tartan day games in Ohio. Sorry my son broke the black widow.

Reynoldsburg Tartan days (first time in masters)
I had the opportunity to throw with some great guys that treated me and my family wonderfully.

Braemar stone 22# I always feel nervous and a little stiff but was able to pull out 3rd and a PR Smile
                                 The stone was real slick so I was surprised I did so well.

Open stone               Great stone that flew pretty well for me another PR and 3rd place.

HWFD                        First time throwing on loose sandy surface and first time with the 42#
                                  throw felt good but I was not confident enough to try a double turn.
                                 because it was my first time with the 42 it was a PR as well and got me 3rd

LWFD                        Couple good throws with one turn PR and 3rd

HH                            My 3rd throw was a PR and another broken hammer. That's 2 hammers
                                 broken in 2 games Ouch

LH                             Horrible! I threw 73 feet. That is a games PR for me but about 6  feet                           shorter than practice. I was very stiff

Caber                       18' caber in 15-20 mph wind sucks some how I turned a 12: on my first try.
                                 That makes 3 games now and 3 12:00's look out Dan Mckim

Sheaf
                       I don't even want to talk about. The field record was 24' and I
                                 choked big time and hooked it 3 times in a row trying to hit 24'
                                 I could kick myself cause I can hit 26' in practice. I was honored
                                 to be beat by my new friend Richard Mclain and happy he didn't 
                                 set it higher for next year        

WOB                         Kick me again! This was the one I wanted to set a field record at
                                It was 14' I say was because Mark Ludwig raised it to 15'6"
                                Good job Mark. I hit 14' which tied the old field record. That makes me
                                Happy Happy Happy         PR baby!

All in all a very good day.
My son took 5th in amateur and my wife took 1st in women. I settled for a very happy 3rd

By the way my son is very sorry for killing the caber they call the Black Widow.     

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/13 at 9:01pm
Excellent work Glenn!
Aim high. Stay hungry.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/08/13 at 9:11pm
No worries Glenn. Cabers break. 

I was quite impressed with your son. He is way ahead of where I was with the same experience. I couldn't pick a caber for the life of me for most of my first year. He picked a beast of a caber without a struggle. You should be proud of your son. 

BTW, I especially liked your cheering section when your son was doing caber.
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/13 at 6:17pm
Thanks Sean. He takes after his mom.

Tom, I have a ton of work to do. Have you seen how good these masters are?

Monday Few light throws to stay loose while heeling from the beating I got saturday.

Tuesday
1 hand snatch with the 42#er 40 with each hand
              10 push ups (hurt my wrist so I stopped) and I hate push ups (truth)
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/13 at 7:27pm
Saturday: walk/jogged a 5k mostly walked got it done in 50 minutes.
worked in the yard cause the weather has bean awesome.

Sunday: worked in the yard. not real hard work but stayed active all day.
Mowed 1/4 acre front yard with push mower.

Threw 42# wob 12 times full throws.

Tired and ready to go back to work for a break.

Back to the gym tomorrow  
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/13 at 11:41am
Quote (first time in masters)
I had the opportunity to throw with some great guys that treated me and my family wonderfully.

Imagine that.
Glad it went well.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/13 at 6:13pm
sunday night: Sheaf 5 botton up drills
                                 15 full throws
Monday: WOB 12 full throws

Tuesday: LWFD 6 1 turn throws
               HH 10 Throws
               ran up and down a total of 180 bleacher steps at the high school
               played around on the monkey bar type thing
               5 sprint starts
               Multiple foot speed drills and jumps
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/13 at 5:09pm
What Glenn hasn't been training! His last log was 4-16! What has he been doing?

Well, training of course.
My internet was down for a week and I have been working "the job" so i got a little lazy with my log.
Gym work: I have been doing some squats 5x2's at about 90% of 1rm cause I didn't have a comp coming up I wanted to add some strength. Also working my rendition of a low pull with about 80% of 1rm, hammer curls 40# dumbbell 3 x 10 each arm.
Don't ask how many times Ive been to the gym. I can't remember all I know is probably not enough.
My wife is addicted to running and hopping up and down the bleachers at the high school so we do that a lot.
Throwing: Mostly WOB and sheaf cause my standards are right out side my front door. still no new pr's which is kinda disappointing. Oh well I'll wait till games to set PR's I guess.
Throwing some stone and wfd too. I finaly got my double turn back it's slow but there. So no more falling on my face. I just need to speed it up now.
For some reason my hammer is hitting the ground and I can't seem to stretch out my arms. I know part of the problem is I don't have blades yet. Gotta fix that!
Wrist is still sore Grrrr! It has slowed me down a ton but it is slowly getting better.

The showdown between me and my son is comming up on May 18th. I think he is more ready for it than I am. I'm a little scared. Cry
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/13 at 8:15pm
Back's been jacked up for the past couple days so I have rested and stretched only.

Today  I threw some HH
What better thing than that to stretch out a lower back and get the hips popped back into place?
9 or 10 full throws after warm up of coarse.

Then I went home and sheafed a little
6 bottom up drills
3 throws at what I think my opening height should be. (made them all by a foot)
then I went up in 2 foot increments and failed at 26' 5"  because I wasn't measuring each height I got off by 5" oops!
I don't think I would have hit 26 anyway even though I threw at it about 10 times
Total throws about 18-20
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/13 at 8:19pm
Well I really suck I haven't been posting very much lately. I'm going to try to write down my training at lunch each day so I can remember what I'm doing. Today we did a mock games And I set pr's in light hammer and Braemar stone. I am throwing pretty good in spite of my SI joints hurting like crazy I really wish I could figure out a way to make them stop hurting. Springfield Illinois Highland Games coming up on the 18th and I am ready other than the pain in my lower back. Any advice, I would love to hear it thanks
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/13 at 10:47am
I have a breakdown on yesterdays games in springfield IL.
I know I said I was done with C class but my son made me do it one more time. You see he beat me in Indy last year and I beat him at the Shamrock games so we had to have a tie breaker.
Open stone: not very good. 28' something 4th place I think
Braemar: A little better. 24' something 3rd place
LWFD: 42' PR my son hit 52 wow  I got 3rd place
HWFD: I have no Idea but I think I got 3rd ( see a trend here)

At this point my son is kicking my but and there is a beast of a man named Justin that is killing us.

Caber: ah sweet revenge. son 1:00,12:00,12:00
                                      justin 12:00,12:00,11:45
                                          me 12:00,12:00,12:00
The caber was too light but it worked out and I took 1st
WOB: 12' pr     2nd place
Sheaf: 24' pr     2nd place wow I was exited to get this. I knew I could do it I just had to keep my mind clear.

HH: Not sure whats up with it but I only hit about 57'     2nd place  (1" passed my son)
LH: 84" and change PR    really getting layed back with this hammer and getting a lot more speed.

Close one right?
Come to find out I beat him by 1/2 a point.

Justin took 1st
I took 2nd and Andy my son took 3rd
I can't say how proud I am of him. He is an amazing competitor that pushes this old may to the brink every time.
So after the awards they had a farmers walk were he put the smack down on me.
So we called the whole day a draw. No hard feelings and I get to go the Masters for good.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/13 at 11:48am
.Clap.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/13 at 3:40pm
Ok it's been eight days sense the last games. I've thrown some but not as much as I'd like and I have yet to make it to the gym.
I have been doing a lot of physical work around the house cutting wood, mowing, cleaning so I am burning calories but I am not getting stronger. Cry
When I say "thrown some" this is what I mean.
Tuesday
wife's LWFD about 6 throws
Thursday
light hammer 2 throws
Saturday
28' Wob 5 times
42' wob 4 times
(Explanation)
coaching my wife, my 15 year old son and my 13 year old son.

One of these days I will find time to train myself.

I don't compete again till July 19th so I have been focusing on my wife's training. She will be competing at the Bonnie Brae in New Jersey on June 1st. She is majorly stressed out cause there is some pretty stiff competition there.

When we get Home we will be hitting the gym hard for some serious strength training. 

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/13 at 2:52pm
Ok back from NJ a day or two early. Anita (wife) tore up her knee stepping in a divot with a huge caber in her hands. Surgery maybe. She had an MRI today so I'll post results as soon as I can.

I said I was not going to compete but the urge was too strong and I had to give in. Good thing I did cause it was my first masters class win WOOOOO HOOOOOO
I'll do a breakdown later when I have # but here is a preview.
The mans caber 16' probably 85 pound broke on the first guy to try it. So what do we do? We move on to the 18' caber that is about 150# no one turned it so the AD cut 1' off WOW what a difference. Ha! Still no one turned it but I managed to pull out what the judges called a 75 deg (more like 60) but good enough to win that event.
Also PR'ed in Sheaf big time with a 25'6"
and WOB with a 14'6"
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/13 at 4:47pm
excellent games, was great to meet ya!
jammin on the one.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/13 at 6:46pm
Hey, nice to meet you too. Hope to throw with you again soon.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/13 at 10:05pm
Congrats Glenn!
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/13 at 8:42am
gym last night:
strict oh press- 45 x 10, 55 x 10, 65 x 10, 75x 10
sitting on bench twisting with 45 plate held in front- 3 sets of 20
bench press- 45 x 10, 135 x 3 x 5
hammer curls- 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 5
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/13 at 7:51am
Wow! The last time I posted was the 9th I have been really sucky at this lately.
Anita had knee surgery on Thursday so I have been taking care of her all weekend. She had 2 splits in the cartilage that they had to fix. She has a lot of hard work ahead of her to get back to where she was. Prayers please. Not to mention she has missed a ton of work and can't go back till the 10th. So with that and medical bills it has been rough.
I have been throwing some but not near as much as I need to.
Mainly doing LWFD with my son who is competing for his first time on the 20th of July.
I really need to get back at it and hit the gym as well there's just so much going on it makes it hard.
Ok enough winingCry my next post will be about how awesome my wife is doing in PT and how I have been throwing like crazy Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic