Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Brian Ely

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/14 at 12:25pm
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Throws Training - HWFD, LWFD

HWFD - I have all the grace and proprioception of an elephant wearing roller skates on the ice....
About 18 throws, 5-6 of which were either fouls or falls.  Finally started getting things figured out.  I am moving into the turn too fast and not waiting on the weight.  Once I started slowing down, things began coming around.  I need to remember these cues.

LWFD - was better, but still need lots of work.  I am definitely going to have to start videoing these so I can get a better idea of what I am doing.  The WFDs are the most frustrating for me.
Brian Ely
"Well, throwing harder didn't work" - T. Brazewell
celtuckian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/22/14 at 1:11pm
Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I have not logged this week.  This week is a de-load week...of the NO LOAD variety.  I am feeling pretty beat up by last weekend, with the PL meet on Saturday and the Smoky Mountain Games on Sunday.

I did, however, go out last night to practice the WFD.  I am taking a new approach to practice for the weights.  Rather than go out and just get in a bunch of throws, I am going to start taking a more systematic approach to practice.

I started off doing footwork drills (no weight) for the 1st turn, trying to ensure that I get my foot placement correct on the landing.  Did about 8-10 of these.  Then, I moved on to doing one-turns, figuring out where my feet should land and how to get them there.  Again, just footwork drills, no weight.  About ten of these.

Next, I moved on to first-turns again, this time with the 28#.  I didn't see any sense in trying to improve my footwork while heaving against a weight that would impede this.  Again, about 8 of these just to reinforce that I am actually starting to get these and don't have to think so much about them.

After that, I did about 12-15 one-turns with the weight.  Here is where I need to concentrate my efforts.  The first several turns were horrendous, until I figured out that I wasn't waiting on the weight, but instead trying to make the turn way too soon which had the effect of not allowing me to get my feet far enough around because the weight wasn't far enough in front.  Turning too soon meant the weight was holding me back.  So after that little epiphany (that foot placement relative to the position of the weight in it's orbit [timing] is a factor), I started having a little more success on the drive to the trig.

I still have a lot of work to do here, but at least I now know what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to correct it.  Hopefully, I am right and with stupid amounts of reps, improvement will be the result. 
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/14 at 2:26pm
Today is 9 weeks post-op since having a rather large bone spur and several loose bodies (bone fragments) removed from my right elbow.  Also, there was work done to re-attach/repair a partially-ruptured triceps tendon.  It has also been essentially twelve weeks since any kind of workout since my right arm was in a flexion-limiting exo-skeletal brace.

I did get back in the gym this week since I am out of the brace and can finally touch my right shoulder with my right hand.  Takes a little effort to accomplish, though.

Anyway.....
Monday, August 11, 2014
SQ - Highback
135 x 10 x 3 sets

Leg Press/Calf extensions
270 x 8 x 2 sets

Leg Curl
3 sets of 10

Leg Extension
3 sets of 10

Tuesday, August 12
I can't yet do pressing (overhead or otherwise) as I am on pretty strict orders right now not to.

Bent-over barbell rows
100 x 10 x 3 sets

High Row Lat Pull-down Machine
3 sets of 10

Shrugs
190 x 10 x 3 sets

Delt Lateral Raises
10 x 20 x 3 sets

Delt Front Raises
10 x 20 x 3 sets

Curls
10 x 10 x 3 sets

I did do some cable triceps pushdowns for 3 sets of 20 @ 20lbs.  Not sure if I should have, but not doing anything was killing me.

It sucks that everything is so light, but recovery now takes longer and at my age there is less time available for a second round if I screw it up.

Brian Ely
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/14 at 3:15pm
Sounds like the surgery was a success...  Thumbs Up
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/14 at 10:16pm
Good to see you back Brian.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/14 at 9:25am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Sounds like the surgery was a success...  Thumbs Up

I sure hope so!  My concern now is how to proceed from here.  I am still very leery about any kind of pressing (overhead or otherwise).

My thoughts are to go VERY light with any kind of active extension with very light weights and progress slowly.  Kind of feeling my way in the dark...
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/14 at 9:26am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Good to see you back Brian.

Thanks, Tom!

Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/14 at 9:28am
Thursday, August 14, 2014

Deadlift
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 10
245 x 10

Rear Foot Elevated Split Squats (RFESS)
3 sets of 10

DB Shrugs
90/hand x 10
95/hand x 10
100/hand x 10

Seated Rows
135 x 10 x 3 sets
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/14 at 12:35pm
Friday, August 15, 2014

Having recognized a need to get in some kind of conditioning work, and needing to shed some post-surgery-convalescence-induced bodyfat, which, unfortunately, replaced the atrophied muscle, I decided to start including some "complex" work as per M & M P's "Contrarian Approach..."

So I chose to do Complex A (see below), from page 42 of the book.  I decided to use 55 lbs. (bar + 5#/side), since Mike stated that he started with 65# and I am no Mike Pockoski.

55 lbs., 10 reps each movement, 3 sets

Row / Clean / Front Squat / Military Press / Back Squat / Good Mornings

Even though I wasn't moving massive amounts of iron, I was exchanging tons of CFM of air.  I think I saw the walls of the gym collapsing and expanding with each breath.  I was concerned about the Military Press section of this complex because of the elbow tendon, but it actually went much better than I expected.

I followed that up with:
Decline sit-ups
Regular on-the-floor sit-ups
Side crunches
DB Triceps Roll-backs 3 sets of 20 reps with 8 lbs.

Today's takeaway:  I am woefully out of shape as far as work capacity goes.  And maybe the elbow is going to be okay - as long as I don't do too much, too soon.

Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 12:40pm
Monday, August 18, 2014
Squat (High back)
135 x 10
145 x 10
155 x 10

Leg Press/Calves
280 x 8 x 3 sets

Leg Curl
75 x 10 x 3 sets

Leg Extension
105 x 10 x 3 sets

Back stretches/abs

I am embarrassed by the low level of weight I am handling right now.  My brain knows it is because I am being cautious about not overdoing it and ending up even further behind in my rehab, but my ego is screaming "PUSSY"!!!!!
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 12:44pm
Tuesday, August 19, 2014
DB Incline Press
25 ea. hand x 20 reps x 3 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press
20 ea. hand x 15 reps x 3 sets

Triceps Cable Pushdowns
20 x 20 x 3 sets

DB Curls
15 x 10 x 3 sets

Upright Row with Curl Bar
10#/side x 10 x 3 sets

See last comment from Monday.  As an indication of how far I have back-slid, I was only able to do 3 pull-ups; whereas, prior to the injury I was doing 14.  PUSSY!!!!!
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/14 at 3:12pm
Thursday, August 21, 2014

DL
135 x 10
185 x 10
235 x 10
255 x 10

RFESS (Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat)
3 x 10 with 15# ea. hand

Bent-over Barbell Row
105 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Shrugs
95 x 10
95 x 10
100 x 10

That's it.  The elbow was a little unhappy with me yesterday from all the work it got on Tuesday.  Achy more than anything.  No real pain, though, and that is good.

Brian Ely
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 8:32am
Nice to see you back at it Brian. When do I get to throw with you again?
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/14 at 8:22am
Originally posted by wsciscoe wsciscoe wrote:

Nice to see you back at it Brian. When do I get to throw with you again?

Probably not until the spring.  I want to make sure that I don't rush back and tear everything up again.
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/14 at 8:39am
Missed my Friday workout because I left work at noon to go home and clean up some storm damage.  One of the pecan trees in my backyard dropped a huge branch, 55' long and 32" circumference at the base.  By the time I got done cutting, moving and stacking, I didn't feel so bad about missing the workout.  I'm sure I worked harder than what I would have in the gym.

Monday, August 25, 2014
 Squat (high-back, ass-to-grass)
135 x 10
145 x 10
155 x 10
165 x 10

Leg Press/Calves
290 x 8 x 3 sets

Leg Curls
75 x 10 x 3

Leg Extension
110 x 10 x 3 sets

Pull-ups 

Back Stretches/Abs
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 2:09pm
Wednesday, I went to the park and while my daughter had softball practice I took the opportunity to 'throw' (to be interpreted with the loosest definition possible).  Mostly worked on LH winds and footwork for the WFD's.  Testing the elbow.  Everything went fine. No pain (but then again was NOT cranking on it).  Happy with the progress. Win.

Thursday, August 28, 2014.
DL
135 x 10
185 x 10
235 x 10
265 x 10

Split Squat (probably more of a split lunge...)
20# ea. hand, 10 reps x 3 sets

Bent-over Barbell Row
115 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Shrugs (# per hand)
95 x 10
95 x 10
100 x 10
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 12:39pm
Friday, August 29, 2014

Another round of Complex A  (row, clean, Frt SQ, Standing Press, back SQ)
60#  10 reps each movement x 3 sets
12 min.  Finishing HR - 160.  More cartoonish billowing of the building as I gasped for life-giving oxygen.

Bench (first time benching since surgery.  went VERY light)
95 x 15 x 3 sets

Hammer Incline machine
50 x 15 x 3 sets

Hammer Decline machine
40 x 20 x 3 sets

Hammer Shoulder Press machine
30 x 20 x 3 sets

Just call me MC, 'cause evidently it was Hammer time...

DB Rollbacks
10 x 20 x 3 sets

Cable Overhead extension
30 x 20 x 3 sets
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 12:41pm
Tuesday, September 2, 2014
SQ (highback, ATG)
135 x 10
155 x 10
165 x 10
175 x 10

Leg Press/Calves
300 x 8 x 3 sets

Leg Curls, single leg (standing machine)
35 x 10
30 x 10 x 2 sets

Leg Extension
115 x 10 x 3 sets

Edited by celtuckian - 9/04/14 at 8:03am
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/14 at 8:07am
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 (after work)

DB Incline Press 30# ea. hand x 20 x 3 sets
DB Standing Press 25# ea. hand x 15 x 3 sets
Triceps Pushdowns 25# x 20 x 3 sets
DB Curls 25# x 10 x 3 sets
Upright Rows w/curl bar 15#/side x 10 x 3 sets
Barbell Close-grip Incline 60 x 20 x 3 sets
Pull-ups 6
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/14 at 9:26am
Thursday, September 4,2014

DL
135 x 10
185 x 10
235 x 10
275 x 10

Split Squat
25# ea. hand x 10 x 3 sets

Bent-over barbell row
125 x 10 x 3 sets

DB Shrugs
95# x 10 x 3 sets

Pull-ups 
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/14 at 9:30am
Friday, September 5, 2014

Complex (rows, cleans, front squats, presses, back squats, good mornings)  10 reps x 3 sets @ 75#
BP 100 x 15 x 3 sets
Hammer Incline machine 50 x 15 x 3 sets
Hammer Decline machine 45 x 20 x 3 sets
Hammer Shoulder Press 40 x 20 x 3 sets
DB Rollbacks 15 x 20 x 3 sets
Cable Overhead extension 35 x 20 x 3 sets
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/14 at 12:18pm
This week has been a de-load week.  Judging from these last four weeks, I can start to ramp up the weight and back off a little on the reps.  The elbow seems to be holding up pretty well.

Still bummed about this week, though, since I was supposed to fly out Tuesday for Scotland for MWC 2014. Meh. I'm a Cubs fan - there's always next year.

Monday, September 8, 2014
SQ 90 x 10 x 3 sets
Leg Press/Calves 150 x 10 x 3 sets
Pull-ups 7

Tuesday, September 9, 2014
DB Incline Press 15 x 40
DB Standing Press 10 x 40
Triceps Pushdowns 12½ x 50
DB Curls 10 x 40
Pull-ups 7

Thursday, September 11, 2014
DL 135 x 10 x 3 sets
Lat Pulldowns 120 x 10 x 3 sets
DB Rows 35 x 10 x 3 sets
Pull-ups 7

One more de-load workout tomorrow.
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 12:17pm
Monday, September 15, 2014

SQ
135 x 10
185 x 10
230 x 8 x 3 sets

Pull-ups

I am surprised at how difficult it is to rebound at the age of 52.  I'm not going to lie - the 3 work sets kind of got to me.  And I should have smoked them pretty easily.  I have the next 20 weeks' workouts planned.  We'll see how soon I can get back into a well-greased groove.
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 8:16am
Tuesday, September 16, 2014

BP
95 x 10
120 x 10
140 x 8 x 3 sets

DB Incline Press
45s x 10 x 3 sets

Seated Military Press
95 x 8

Standing DB Press
40s x 6
35 x 8 x 2

Dips
7, 6, 6

Pull-ups 

This was the first 'real' pressing workout since the surgery.  Things went pretty well, although there is pain in the joint; however, this seems to be joint pain and not triceps tendon, which is what I am really worried about.  The surgeon said that arthritis was really bad in the elbow with almost no cartilage left.  Since the surgery, this seems to have gotten much worse.  All the junk he cleaned out must have been providing a little cushioning.  The arthritic pain is something I am going to have to learn to deal with and manage.

The joint pain mentioned above was the reason for the one set of seated military press.  This was causing too much discomfort, so I switched to the DB presses.  This was corrective action #1 on the journey of "dammit-am-I-ever-going-to-get-back-to-where-I-was".
Brian Ely
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 9:47am
I see a lot of hard work here Brian.I can tell that that you will be back where you were and even better.I look forward to throwing with you again and can't wait for mwc2015
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 10:20am
What Glenn said.

Besides, I didn't get a chance to meet you at Gallabrae this year.  You'll have to come back next year so I can remedy that.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/14 at 3:16pm
Thanks, Glenn and Tom!  I appreciate the encouragement.

Hopefully, the progress will happen sooner than it seems it will happen. Beer
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 9:23am
Went home after work and did a little HWD, LWD.  Man, it has been a long time since the I tried the 42.  I think it threw ME on the first couple warm-ups.  Got about 7 throws in and decided to move to the 28.  This went much better; of course, it helped that I was already warmed up.

Neither session was worthy of note, but just getting back out and throwing felt good.  I still have lots of distance to achieve, but the added incentive is St. Louis.

*Side note:  I am definitely going to have to seek out professional knowledge in regards to the treatment/management of arthritis.  The elbow, both hips and the left knee refused to let me sleep last night.  It seems like the 13+ weeks of doing nothing allowed my body to attack itself.  Meh.  Just another obstacle.
Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/14 at 12:19pm
Thursday, September 18, 2014

DL
135 x 10
185 x 10
235 x 8 x 3 sets

Pull-ups 8
DB Rows 45# x 10 x 3 sets
DB Shrugs 95# x 10 x 3 sets

Brian Ely

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celtuckian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/14 at 2:05pm
Tuesday, September 23, 2014

SQ
135 x 10
195 x 10
240 x 6 x 4 sets

Pull-ups 9
Brian Ely
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic