Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/14 at 11:48am
This is in the top 0.01% of all workouts in the universe.  Back work is one area where more is more.
...Josh
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/19/14 at 11:59am
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

This is in the top 0.01% of all workouts in the universe.  Back work is one area where more is more.

I agree. I loved it! There were some movements where my weakness in the abs really came in and that's all I'm feeling right now but overall I'm very excited to see where this takes me. I really like the coach, he's in your neck of the woods somewhere in Mad during the week too. He's strong and doesn't have a ton of hang ups like I've noticed with a couple of other BB'rs. Takes it all in stride and pushes me. It's good having a coach again, I would have no clue how to incorporate all this stuff.

See you Sat, save travels eh?

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/14 at 10:50pm
3/22

Shamrock Games, Springfield Il

MANY highlights today. Of course throwing at the Shammies again, last year was the first time I threw a full games. Seeing so many Highland peeps after a (very) long winter was great. Mark McVey ran our group extremely efficiently and fairly. He was a huge help to me and made the day so much fun. Meeting Kevin Rogers was a great treat! I even got to shake his Dad's hand on the way out and catch a couple awesome stories. Watching some amazing Sheaf toss' including a 37' throw; hearing Nathan Parker's WOB yell as he went for a WOB PR; throwing for the first time with Margaret (the prettier half of one of the most awesome Highland Games couples;) on her return to the games; throwing a heavy hammer PR; getting amazing prizes from Clevenger and laughing so hard at the post games meal that I thought I gave myself a hernia. True story.

As for the throwing, some ups and some downs.

Sheaf: 17' We started at 15' thinking it was 14. It took me two tries on that one, got 17 on the first toss and missed 19' in various fashion. Got some help from Jason afterwards that gives me something to practice here at home.

WOB: 14' Made each throw from 11 up on first try. Went for PR of 14'6" and missed all three tries but it was close. This is coming along fine. I think I could of got a bigger pull on my last couple of throws. Will keep practicing. 

Caber: 1:00 Got some great advice from Margaret that she got from a Burchett (forgot which one.) It was helpful. My goal today was to pick each one and just hold it and get set and THEN go instead of panic when I pick it and not know what to do with it. It was good practice. Here's the turn (by the way, I'm raising my hands in happiness of actually turning a caber, not expecting a 12:00) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFYBUNbyeMg&feature=youtu.be

Heavy Hammer: 57' and change. Big PR. My first two throws had good swings but the release was too far over to the left. On my last throw, I choked up a bit on the handle and put my weight more in my heels than the balls of my feet. The swings felt good and my release was money. I have lots of work to do but feel like I'm on the right track. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brRtWpkzIuY&list=UU-lWnQtx0wBK3T_pFI47Thw

HWD (28#): 30' and maybe change. I struggled with distance weights today and overall went pretty flat at this point. Talking with Matt on the way home, I think my food (or lack thereof) had something to do with that. I should have ate something to get my energy back up. Lesson learned. Overall, my warm up throw was far better than any of my attempts. I'm disappointed but whatev. 

LWD: 50' and maybe change. The train left the track at this point. Things I never do was going on and thankfully the master's men were right next to me and Armstrong yelled at me to get my eyes up. That helped but I didn't hit 55'+ until my 3rd extra throw. Ugh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eko34m-onJ8&list=UU-lWnQtx0wBK3T_pFI47Thw

Lunch (SO Ono, thanks so much Ancient Athletics!!)

Stones were left. Completely unremarkable.

Open (I didn't catch the weight, will have to wait until the numbers come out.): 29' and change. Struggled putting feet and arm together. Felt off and flat overall.

Braemar (16# and change): Last throw was 21'9" Meh. This was heavy but I've thrown a 21# shot over 21' so should have been able to throw this one further. 

So, keep practicing and watch my food at a full games. I took first overall but would have preferred to have thrown better. But we had a blast including dinner the night before at D'arcy's Pint (where Matt had a Horseshoe) with my first Highland Games friend Rick Kraemar and his honey bunny, Shelly. Big picture, we had a blast, I had some highlights and low lights, and have to practice. 

Thanks so much to Merl and the entire Ancient Athletics crew for taking such good care of us; feeding us; entertaining us, and even the big white cooler contents. Thanks to many who gave me a quick cue that helped my next throw: Jeff, CHAD, Jason, and Mark.  Hope everyone has made it home safely!

Cheers!!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/14 at 5:51pm
3/24

A little active rest day.

Press:
Up to 3x5 (one each) @40, 42, 50

Sheaf:
Worked a bit on the block and my timing. Felt good but without standards (or a tree branch) who knows. Feeling more normal though so that's good. I appreciate Jason's help (he's trying to make me a better Sheaf tosser in spite of myself.) Confused

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/14 at 12:50pm
3/25

Legzzzzzzz Day

Stretch and barbell roll out my right leg, was still pretty tight from Saturday.

We did many reps on different machine thingys that I have no idea of their names. Worked on Hamstrings (no curls, I'm not a fan of laying down and throwing my knee's into overextension for a machine that doesn't love me), glutes, hip flexors, adductors (the naughty machine, I felt rediculous but had already put up a fight with the hammy curls), and was rewarded at the end of the session with squats. 
Did 1x8@45 (pounds, training in pounds is weird)
1x8@95
1x8@115
1x6@135
1x6@155

That was it. It was fun. Different. Legs are mostly smoked right now. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/14 at 1:51pm
Are you speaking of the Good Girl/Bad Girl machines?
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/25/14 at 1:54pm

Are you speaking of the Good Girl/Bad Girl machines?

Them's the one. It even came with an old guy staring at me when I got on...until I say loudly, "What's up dude?!" in the sweetest little gfy voice I own. Heh.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/14 at 12:22pm
3/26

Braemer: Went and threw for about 30 minutes to work on "keeping the X" better. Had a great session, threw the 14# consistently in the 24'+ range. I'll take it. 

3/27

I think it's called back day, still learning.

Warm ups with the band

Lat pull (do love me a lat pull)
Rows-2 different kinds
Straight arm pull down
Different kind of lat pulldown
Plank/Abz stuff

Lots'O reps, heavier than before.

Ready for a rest day or two. It's supposed to be sunny and in the 50's on Sunday so we'll go throw. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/14 at 7:27pm
3/30

Throwing Day

50's and Sunny. Finally threw in the grass without snow. Took the distance weights and threw my little heart out.

21# HWD: After warming up, I really focused on staying low at the first turn. It's helped but I'm still not getting any kind of push off the right side. At least not much of one. Here's vid of my best of the day, 51': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRb77rX3TYI 

14# LWD: Same. Had my first 60' throws and I'm very happy with that but I'm still not finishing well. I think if I can pull off a better sprint to the end and work on my finish, I'll improve. Here's vid of 60.5': http://youtu.be/pGSDYK7FN8c

Practiced some WOB (Matt building me uprights per Tom Lawrence's plans-thank you for posting those!!) I was told by a couple of folks at the Shammies that I "Zolk" the release by throwing my arm to the right instead of staying in front. Dunno, it's what I do and a few folks have tried to get me to keep my arm in front but I don't for long. Since I guess it works for him (heh) I scoped out some video. The main thing I noticed is that I should wait another second or two before I jump and start the release. So I'll practice that. 

Overall a great day throwing in warm sun. Thanks to my guy for the vid's and to the Oz man for shagging.

jp

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/14 at 8:48pm
Let me know how the WOB rig turns out, and if y'all spot any obvious improvements.

Solid throws!

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/14 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Let me know how the WOB rig turns out, and if y'all spot any obvious improvements.

Solid throws!

Tom

Will do Tom, he has the supplies, now just needs some time. I think he'll be putting them together this weekend. Thanks again!!

4/1

Legs are shmoked.

Stretch warm up
Hamstring machine thingy: 5x12 up to 150
RDL's: Emtpy Bar x 8, 95#x6, 5x5@135#
Multi-something machine (hips and glutes/hammies):8x12 @ something
Squat: 1x8@EB, 1x6@95, 1x6@135, 5x5@155 (I think I wrote 155 last week, that was wrong, we did 135.)

A weee bit tired. Throwing hammer in the mists tomorrow and hopefully sheaf if the rain holds off.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/14 at 1:36pm
4/2

Light Hammer Throws: Not great. Swings were off and release was off. Will be working releases with Brian this weekend up in MinneSNOWta (supposed to be 7" of snow.) Yup, I'm tired of the snow.

4/3

Arm/Back Day (or something like that)

Bands warm up and stretch
Lat pulls 5x10
DB Rows 8x10 
Kroc Rows 4x10
Stiff Arm pull downs 4x10 (I think, may have only been 3)
One arm'd stiff arm pulls (4x10, 2 on each side)
More lat pulls (MOAR!) 4x10
Planks-a few at 40 sec. It seems my ab is getting a wee bit stronger. Ya buddy.

I'm up to 140g of carbs on training days and losing weight. CARBS!!!!!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/07/14 at 9:00pm
4/5

Throwing with Brian Hare in Minnesnowta. We stayed in due to the 5+ fresh inches of snow still on the ground.

Worked on hammer drills and release. As always, came away with a far better understanding of what I was doing wrong and things to work on. Also worked on release drills and I'm excited to work on this the next couple of months and hopefully see some improvements. Hopefully.

This is a games week so will get my BBing on Tuesday, throw a little bit Wed and rest going into Saturday.

Ya buddy.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/10/14 at 8:53am
4/8

BB Day

Hamstrings were very tight and ouchie so spent about 15 minutes just stretching out. It felt good and loosened stuff up a bit. Went to some hip multi-use machine (I have no idea what else it's called) and worked hammies and hips and did worked up to 1x6 RDL's @ 165. Did some abz work after that and called it a day.

4/9

Throwing Day

Warmed up with Sheaf. Feeling pretty good about that one. Went to hammer and first throw was PR. The release is feeling much better but I wasn't getting my hips as involved as I should. 

Did 3-4 throws on rest of events. Nothing to write home about. Pretty rough distance and open stone throws. We'll see what happens Saturday at Clevenger's backyard games. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/14 at 7:56pm
4/12

Rockford Backyard Games

After getting excited about the forecast of 75 and sunny and throwing in some good weather, we drove into a ginormous storm (just missed 1/2" hail) as we hit Rockford. Awesome. But the skies cleared and the sun came out, along with gale force winds from the south. Got to throw with Matt for the first time this season (for the first event anyway before he had to jet off.) He did great (of course) and is excited to hit more games as the season goes on.

WOB (21#): I thought my former PR was 15' but I guess it was 16 from Kirksville. I hit 16'2 today and narrowly missed 16'9. Overall I think I'm on the right track but need to tweak a couple things for improvement. So I got a 2" PR. 

Light Hammer (12#): First throw was PR of 74'4" I think. Felt good but need more speed. Overall I'm happy with upward movement and will just keep practicing the things Brian gave me last weekend.

Caber: Our caber was nice and light and an easy pick but the winds pushed it right off. No one turned.

Braemar (13.5#): Best throw was 24'. Meh.

LWD: Best was 60'6". Finally hit 60' in comp and I'm extremely pleased with that. Realized something I was doing wrong and tried to apply it. Excited to keep practicing and improving.

HWD (21#): Jason let us hang oot afterwards and throw the heavy but it was for fun. First throw was 44' and that's a good start. Have a lot more with this one.

Overall: an absolutely amazing day. Even though we're cheeseheads, I really consider this Illinois crew our Highland home base and a day on the field with them is a very good day. As always, Jason Clevenger provided us with the absolute best equipment and field and Jane and Jasmine made sure we all had water (and tons of fun.) SO many people stepped up to give me a quick,  helpful cue; Rick, CHAD, Jon, Jason, Sue and Ruth, Rhett. Our post games Potluck was tons of fun and again, thank you Jasmine for cooking up my pork chops!!

Next up will be our 'tosa home games on June 7 so I have some time to practice, get married, hang in Budapest a bit and keep gettin' my BB on. Yo!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 1:04pm
4/14

My hamstrings continue to be tight enough to be a distraction. Looking back, I realized that since I've started by BB, I haven't pulled or squat'd any significant volume (to his credit, my BB coach has eased me into this thing with two Games in between the weeks so we've done what we could.) So I wanted to pull today a bit and we'll get more volume in on the squats starting tomorrow.

Power Snatch: 5@35kg, 3@45, 3@50
Power Clean/Power Jerk: 5@45, 3@55, 3@60
Snatch grip deadlift: up to 1@100kg

Feeling good, Louis.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/15/14 at 1:10pm
4/15

Got my legz day on YO!

Stretch warm up
Squat: something resembling 
8@EB
8@95
8@135
6@155
5@185
3@195, 215, 225

Hip type machine thing gettin' my hammies on. Lots of stuff @12's

Abz. 

Talked food, food, food. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 5:54pm
4/16

Throwing Day

Stones: 

Standing Only. Worked on keeping weight back, holding the X, and turning my feet. The release is a mess but the first part is coming along nicely.

Distance (28 & 14)
These are starting to feel much better thanks to Mindy's coaching and drills she's given me. Staying low and sprinting forward instead of up. Heavy throws in mid 30's and light in 57-61 range consistently. I'll take it. 

Legs are a bit sh'moked meow.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 1:22pm
4/17

Back DayYO!

Band Warm ups...uh oh, fatigued just from this.
Lat pull down 4x10
Barbell rows: supine grip, total of 4x10 (last two sets at 85#)
Kroc Rows: 2x10@30, 4x10@35
Straight arm standing pull downs: I think 4x10 but it may be 3x10.
Moar Lat pulls (different style): 4x10 (soooooo tired)
Abz stuff

It's been a great training week but I'm absolutely shot. I'm glad I brought some food with me to the gym because I just sat in the car and ate before I could even think of driving the 10 minutes home. Got home, ate again. SOOOOO HUNGY!

Off day tomorrow. Maybe a little Sheaf and WOB Saturday, we'll see what the weather man says.

Hoping the Godiva Easter Bunny is good to all. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/21/14 at 8:35am
4/20

High 70's and Sunny means throwing in between Holiday meals.

Stones: Took all three with me and threw the 6,9, and 14 pounders. Things are coming along nicely. I put a couple of things together and it was a good session. Thanks to those who gave input on the 'high elbow' question. There were a couple of interesting answers that were helpful in thinking things through. At the end of the day, I want to understand the complete throw and the most efficient and effective way to transfer force from the ground all the way through to the last flick of the hand to get every possible inch. I do believe the arm angle is a piece of that (after all, if the arms didn't matter all of our Pro's would be walking around looking like Track Cyclists and wouldn't care at all about that heavy Press;) 

Hammer: Worked on speed. I probably start off too fast so slowed it down and gave myself a chance to hurry thangs up. Good session, threw consistently 2-4' further than usual and if I can keep inching up those numbers I'll be happy. 

Overall, good reps all around. I do believe I got a bit carried away in the sun. By the time I realized I was uber tired, an hour and a half had gone by and I'm so very ouchie this morning. 

So very.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 1:47pm
4/22

Back Day (FoSho!)

RDL: 1x8@45, 135, 155
DL: 1x8@155, 185; 1x6@205; 1x4@225; 1x3@245 (In my world, this was crazy volume)

Lat Pulls: 4 or 5x10
Straight arm pull downs: 4x10
Other Lat Pulls: 4x10

Abz

Qdoba Burrito Bowl, soooooo my favorite.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:08pm
4/25

I had a lot of lower back pain from the high volume of deadlifts the other day. In the Sacrum area, the same spot that went bad last spring after some halting deadlifts that put my back into a funk all summer and fall. So no more high volume deadlifts, no matter how light. I had no back pain running 531 all these months so will keep to that style (low volume, hitting a heavyish single or triple.)  Stretched and did some deadlift triples at 40kg yesterday to work the hammies and back. Today felt good enough to get moving but I watched it. 

Squat:
1x10@20kg, 40, 60; 1x6@80; 1x5@90; 1x6@60

Prowler sprints w/bb curls (5@20kg)
1 empty, 1@20kg, 4@30kg

Back feels fatigued now but not in pain. I'll take it. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

DL: 1x8@155, 185; 1x6@205; 1x4@225; 1x3@245 (In my world, this was crazy volume)

I had to go back and read this after your latest post.  It was a shot of perspective. 

My coach has had me doing high volume for the last six months, and by high volume I mean like this week I did seventeen sets of dead lifts.  However, that was all he had me do that day, because that is where I am in terms of age, strength, and body type. 

I look at the number of total exercises you are doing, and think 'Good grief she's doing a lot of stuff in her workouts, I couldn't do that.'  Different side to the same coin.  Clearly it's working for you.  Thumbs Up

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 2:15pm
Ever thought of timed singles on the deadlift?
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

I had to go back and read this after your latest post.  It was a shot of perspective. 

My coach has had me doing high volume for the last six months, and by high volume I mean like this week I did seventeen sets of dead lifts.  However, that was all he had me do that day, because that is where I am in terms of age, strength, and body type. 

I look at the number of total exercises you are doing, and think 'Good grief she's doing a lot of stuff in her workouts, I couldn't do that.'  Different side to the same coin.  Clearly it's working for you.  Thumbs Up

Tom

17 sets of deadlifts would destroy me. This was the most volume I've probably ever done and I learned that it's too much. I can do high volume of anything else and be just fine, but not deadlifts. I am enjoying the BB gig and all the exercises and I agree, it's a bunch'o work!

Josh- I do timed pulls with my Snatch and Clean/Jerk. I like those. I could do singles on the deadlift too, good idea. GraCias.

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:09pm
Meemember that you can just do the concentric portion then drop thems, too.
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:11pm

Meemember that you can just do the concentric portion then drop thems, too.

No. I can't. If I pull a deadlift, I put it down. Approve

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:49pm
Muy macho. 
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 3:56pm

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 4:17pm
Honestly, there is a real reason to sometime limit eccentric work.  
...Josh
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
  Share Topic