Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training log Svavar Iceland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svavar Iceland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training log Svavar Iceland
    Posted: 8/11/13 at 8:06pm

Hello boys and girls:)

My name is Svavar Sigusteinsson strength sportaholic:)

I have been thinking about starting a training log to help me with my throws and I am really hoping you guys can give me some pointers on what I am doing wrong and what I am doing correct.

Background: I come from Iceland and have always been around people that are strong. I did some power lifting and competed in strongman in Iceland and did ok. There I trained with my buddy's Stefan Solvi Petursson and Benedikt Magnusson in Jon Pals old gym GYM 80 under the strong hand of Magnus Ver Magnusson. Don't get me wrong I am not anywhere close to their strength:)

Never thought about Highland games even though Petur Gudmundsson and Saemundur (WR holder on Weight over bar) worked out in my gym. I learned a lot from them in strongman and when I moved to USA I won some  LW strongman in Texas and Virginia.

After moving to Texas I trained in Metroflex gym Arlington and got introduced to Highland games and fell in love with the sport. But having no background in throwing my technique was bad and I never got better. The guys in Texas Mark Cannon and Duncan really helped me but I needed much more help and kinda gave up throwing because I never got any better. However being in the sport that short time I made some really good friends like Matt and Andy Vincent and Spencer Tyler. I have traveled many places in the world with my friends Stefan Solvi and Benedikt but taking Matt and Spencer to Iceland was awesome. Think I showed them a good time there at Peturs Games because Matt has been there now 3 years in a row and even got a tattoo of Iceland on his arm:)

I love strongman but it's just too hard on my little body and after tearing my patella tendon off and braking the bone I think I am done with strongman for some time. I have been dealing with that injury for 10 months now but I am soooo far away from being 100%. I have started to throw here in Cary NC and have a small group of people that come and throw. But again I am the most experienced thrower so I don't get a lot of corrections event though the people here help a lot. And it's hard to correct a guy that has to spin on a leg that doesn't work:) I have been sending videos to my buddy Matt Vincent and has that helped me a lot. I am going to do his training lab as soon as my knee is good enough to start that program. My whole purpose with this training log is to put on paper for myself what I am doing and hopefully get some replies from you guys how I can get better. And if someone has had the same injury I have please share your thoughts on what I should do better:)  

I am doing games in VA and NC in September and October just for fun and they are going to allow me to throw B class but when I did a game last time 3 years ago I was bottom of the class A. But I won't be doing heavy weight and Caber so I will just be there to try to get to know the throwers in this area.

Really looking forward to this and hope you guys can help me.

And yes I am a foreigner and if I don't like that I don't spell things correctly þá geturur bara hoppað uppí rassinn á þér:)

There is no reason to be alive if you cant do deadlift
Svavar Iceland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svavar Iceland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/13 at 2:23pm

Day one.

Did some throwing Saturday and felt good. I can't get in a lot  of throws because my leg just gives out but this Saturday was good. I think it's because of all the reps I have been doing.

Bramar. 5 throws as a warm up and then I try to get in 10-12 good throws thinking about my technique. I never did shot-put or anything so I am still finding my spot.

Then my worst anime LWFD. We haven't been friends since the first day I picked it up and did 60f + in the parking lot of Metroflex gym. Since then I have only once thrown over 60 but after all the pointers from Matt its going over that more often. Did 5 one spin and then 12 two spin or until I just couldn't stop myself with my leg.

Hammer felt good just need more time. 15 throws of that in the sun.

Then some weight over bar in the shade. I am a big believer in reps so I think I did about 20 reps and worked my way up. Surprisingly I haven't lost a lot of height on my WOB witch I think is funny because I can only jump on one leg.

Over all a great beginning of throwing but a lot that I have to fix.My knee after throwing.

chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/13 at 3:08pm
Your always welcome to come train here on the Outer Banks, which is about 3 hours from Cary..  I have a great facility and all the implements..
Good Luck
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svavar Iceland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/13 at 3:50pm
I will take you up on that offer Gene when my my knee gets better. Are you putting on some games this year for a guy like me?
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/13 at 4:25pm
No games this year...  Just let me know when your healed up!!
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svavar Iceland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/13 at 4:39pm
Thank you sirThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svavar Iceland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/13 at 1:24pm

Had a good day at the gym today.

Started with my one leg legpress  4x25 with a PR of 40lbs :) Getting better

Was going to do some squats but my knees didn't want to and as of know my knees are the boss. It's funny to me that I couldn't do lunges 5 weeks ago but I can deadlift. People say its funny to see me deadlift because it's all on one leg.

I did a lot of warm ups and then I did 5 sets of 5 with as much speed as I can do. If I start slowing down I take plates off. ALL ABOUT SPEED. Started with 405lbs for first set then the next 4 sets with 455lbs. Long way to go to get back to where I was but I am happy with it.

Andy Vincent recommended doing Pendley row so I did 4x8 with 225lbs and it was hard. It's really hard for me squatting down like that and pull the bar in but also soooo good for me:)

I am starting to do lunges with only bodyweight, 12 reps on each leg 4 sets. First time today that I could  put my good leg forward because I always hurt my bad knee when trying to bend it behind me on walking lunges.(if someone knows a good way to get that pain away led me know) Think next week I can start adding weight. Hoping to do walking lunges with bar above head for stronger shoulders and core.

I did superset between lunges and kettlebell swing, 55lbs 20reps per hand 4 sets. Hope it's going to get my weight over bar better.

TRX band. If you guys aren't using it then start using it now. Super good for throwers. I do glute and hamstring workouts in it and like it a lot.

Then I end on plank 1 min all 3 sides 2 sets before I spend 20 min on stretching and foam rolling. Going to the gym tonight again because the wife is out of town and me and my boys don't have anything better to do :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svavar Iceland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/13 at 1:11pm

Haven’t been able to throw this week but I am planning on throwing Saturday and Sunday. Been going hard in my training for the last 2 weeks and had a minor setback with my knee. It started to swell up so I just did some beauty training for the last 2 days. So I have been spending my free time on youtube learning how to throw :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svavar Iceland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/13 at 10:17am

Man this week has been super fun in the gym and throwing. My knee is always getting better (around %30 now)and I can throw more and longer time every time. Been going easy at the gym and throwing more because I have games coming up in 2 weeks in Iceland. Its just going to be for fun and don't think ill be doing all the events.

LWFD is my worst enemy and will continue being that for some time. Dont understand how I can throw 49f and then 64f and the throws feel the same. Ill keep working on it and might start taking videos so i can get people to help me.

In training i have been throwing Bramar 20+ throws

LWFD 20+ Throws

Hammer 20+ throws

then WOB or sheaf until my knee tells me to stop:)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic