Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Contrarian Approach to the Highland Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Top 10 in the USA - '09-'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pockoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contrarian Approach to the Highland Games
    Posted: 9/23/13 at 1:42pm
Very happy to announce that Mindy and I have finally finished making a book and DVD on everything we know about training, throwing, lifting, drills, competing, eating, sleeping, and living the highland games.

Please check it out at http://hgcontrarianapproach.com/

It's literally everything we know and everything we used to train and compete over our careers.  The DVD is in HD and was professionally filmed, edited, and mastered.  It goes through each event with interview style descriptions, slow motion, screen text, still pictures, and lots of angles to show technical cues. Check out the site for a short sample.

The book contains everything else we couldn't fit into the DVD - how to practice, how to compete, lifting, nutrition, and everything else that we learned the hard way.  There's a short sample of the book on the site too.

The DVD is at the replicator now and should be ready to ship in a week or so.  The book is at the printer and will be ready at the same time.  You can pre-order from the site, and we'll ship immediately when they are ready.

We really hope you like it!

Mike Pockoski

feefiefofeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feefiefofeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 4:04pm
This is super cool. I can't wait!!
Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond all reason the opinions of others.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 4:07pm
Just watched the teaser. Really awesome looking stuff here! I am tempted...
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 4:41pm
For the record, this is the best training tool that I've seen.  

The DVD is fantastic, and the book compliments it perfectly.  

It's not just a do, but a why.

If I had these tools when I was still practicing, I guarantee that I would throw/have thrown farther.  
MAT$O View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAT$O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 5:31pm
really great stuff Mike.  

For those of you that have read my stuff this is a completely different and 100% valid tool for any thrower.  It will give the background by two of the best technicians and throwers that the games have had.  

Enjoy and I recommend to everyone again.  Congrats Mike and Mindy.
USPlabs
Conquest Nutrition
SPORT KILT
Clevenger Sheaves

Training LAB ebook "Strength Training for The Highland Games
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 7:33pm
Sold!!
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 8:32pm
very cool.  production value looks great, too.
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/13 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Shawn Baker Shawn Baker wrote:

Sold!!

+1! I've missed being able to observe Mindy's great technique over the last few seasons as I've worked to improve. This will be a great resource!
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/13 at 8:30am
Awesome, Mike!!  Looks great.
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
bax7889 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bax7889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/13 at 9:12am
Looks very well done.  Working Matt's Training Lab right now and loving it.  I will definitely take his advice and look into this as well.  I am going into my second year throwing, in February, so I am looking for as much knowledge as possible from the best in the game.
Bert Sorin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bert Sorin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/13 at 9:52am
Read over most of it this AM. Cannot overemphasize how good this is. Actually great regardless of sport. Concepts of the complete package are spot on. Thanks Mike for waiting to write this book till after I'm hurt and retired. Jerk. :)

In Strength and Throws,
Bert
Andy Vincent View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/13 at 10:12am
Ordered.
DowneyClan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DowneyClan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/13 at 11:39am
As a complete noob to all of this (no track experience and just beginning training for my first competitions) I think I am going to add this to my ever extending list of things I need to buy (including weights and hammers).

Have loved these forums and all the information here.  I know I will find what will work for me and help me get the most out of my throws.

Great looking video!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/13 at 12:36pm
I've had several questions come in to me.  

Yes, I've watched the DVD and read the book.  I've had it for a few weeks now.  I'm special.  

Yes, it's worth it and yes, you should buy it. 
Kerry Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kerry Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/13 at 12:46pm

My order is in.  This is just what I’ve been looking for.  The web site is great. 

Kerry

mike pockoski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pockoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/13 at 9:44am
Really appreciate all the support here.  Thanks everyone!
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/13 at 9:49am
Take my money!
The man in the arena.
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/13 at 9:53am
It goes without saying that Mike and Mindy know their stuff.  They have trained with the best in the world, and became the best in the world in the highland games. The video alone is worth your money, as it goes through every event, step by step with some amazing tips and drills for throwers, especially those just starting out.  

They're great throwers, great people and great coaches.  Awesome stuff, guys.  Well done.  
Megan Melham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Megan Melham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/13 at 1:38pm

Do you have a method for becoming a taller athlete? That would help a lot! Wink

I'm looking forward to reading the drills and seeing how I can improve my technique this winter!
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/13 at 4:25pm
Mike talked about this during an interminable limo ride to Loon.
I love it when NCAA studs can find a way to explain the essence of the effortless bomb to us.
This is exactly what I need...to finally learn to throw like a NCAA stud.
My winter off season just got directionClap

Cause ....I got into this goofy sport 'cause I like to throw things...not do deadlifts.
Sorry assorted deadheads.
Wheeee!
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/13 at 7:34pm
Even if you guys were not two of the best throwers in the game I would have purchased it anyway you guys are such good people you got my support.

ordered and cant wait!!

Leroy
Leroy McDonough
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/13 at 8:01am
Just ordered mine. Thanks Mike and Mindy!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
The Jayster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Jayster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/13 at 12:36am
No Secrets kept! Mike n Mindy lay it all out there for ya! Awesome how too,from two of the best in the sport!
please keep robbin, the Conway Family and Frank Henry
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/13 at 8:30am
Well I got mine and it is really good.  The DVD has so much info and really good teaching on what to do.  A lot of positive cues on throwing.  It will help me be a better thrower. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pockoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/13 at 2:04pm
Thanks Myles & Jay!  Glad you like it.
Jim Glover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/13 at 11:35pm

Edited by Jim Glover - 10/15/13 at 1:37am
"A single one of us can defeat your whole army. If you do not believe it, you may try, only please order your army to stop shooting with firearms." - Mameluke Chieftain Kurtbay
Jim Glover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Glover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/13 at 11:45pm
Well I went ahead and ordered it.  Maybe I'll actually practice next year.
"A single one of us can defeat your whole army. If you do not believe it, you may try, only please order your army to stop shooting with firearms." - Mameluke Chieftain Kurtbay
buckcali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckcali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/13 at 1:02pm

First off yes I have watch the DVD, received it 2 days ago and I think I have watch it 3 or 4 time already J and read the book.

Can’t say enough good things about what Mike and Mindy have put together with this DVD and book.

Everyone wanting to excel in this sport, you need to learn from people who know what they are talking about and have PROVEN IT. It’s an amazing training tool to help any thrower with what we should be doing but also what we shouldn’t and why.

Congrads to both Mike and Mindy for an amazing product… 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike pockoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/13 at 10:03am
thx Buck.  Really appreciate the kind words.  Embarrassed
jhbucy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/13 at 10:49am
Ordered, now to out throw the rest of the old farts!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic