Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Justin Blatnik

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cormbread Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 8:03pm
That makes good sense. How long is your OHP block, before you switch to PP? I'm totally doing that this season.
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/17 at 10:25am
Originally posted by B_McCraw B_McCraw wrote:

Justin, I have had to the do something similar at various points in the past due to an AC joint separation.  Ever tried to sub the flat pressing out for incline?  I have always had better luck with that when my shoulders are bugging me.  

Bryce

yes but not ever too much help. and I suck at incline so that could be something. but i probably suck at OHP more. it's a work in process lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/17 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Cormbread Jenkins Cormbread Jenkins wrote:

That makes good sense. How long is your OHP block, before you switch to PP? I'm totally doing that this season.

Not sure. I do want and need to plan to bring push press back into my rotation. With my hecticness of life, schedule, and the new gym I am just taking things flying by the seat of my pants. Plan isn't quite a plan right now (which needs to not be the case). Without being able to find a lot of time to throw, here is the generalish plan for this week (which hopefully I can refine and actually "plan something" going forwards to set myself up for any possible success in the spring season.

Monday - Deadlift (catch up from missing last week), Power Snatch, Speed Front Squat
Tuesday - OHP, Power Clean, other blah - wasn't quite feeling it
Wednesday - Squat, Snatch Grip High Pull and accessorize around that
Thursday - Deadlift (normal plan), and who knows cuz im sore
Friday - ? Have fun
Saturday - ? Have fun
Sunday - off?

I may even still bench some. Cuz I'm a meathead and haven't been able to get away from the gym to throw. But only if it doesn't piss off my shoulder
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/17 at 8:47pm
Some unsolicited (and unqualified in my case) advice... 

Landmine presses may be a worthwhile addition. While the can't be loaded nearly as easily as military or push press, they are really easy on the joints. Especially during season. They can make a nice accessory. You can pretty much find a comfortable angle to press and there is wiggle room in the bar path. Also, the scapula is much more free to  move. I have had my share of shoulder issues, including 1 surgery so working my way around a somewhat bum shoulder is not unfamiliar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/17 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by AndrewK51 AndrewK51 wrote:

Some unsolicited (and unqualified in my case) advice... 

Landmine presses may be a worthwhile addition.

Thanks Andrew. Might wiggle them into some accessory movements. Haven't done them in a while. Might be time to bring them back

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/17 at 2:26pm
3/8

Sled Drags
1-Arm Farmers
45-Degree Back Extensions
Different handle Lat Pulldowns

OHP 5x3
Squat 3x5 @345lbs on buffalo bar. Ugh this felt like crap today.
Snatch Grip High Pulls 5x5 from the hang/hip

3/9

Morning Circuit:
Chaos Bench 40lbs 3x10
DB Pullover 50lb 4x10
Belt Squat 3x20 w/ BFR w/ 145
Fat Bell Bicep and Tricep - pump, no specific reps/sets. Just alternated until it hurt

Night:
Lots of solid prep work.

OHP x 1,2,3,4,5,6 @72kg
Speed Front Squats 6x2 @ 95kg
Deads - double at 170kg beltless and double overhand
200kg and 227kg for doubles
8x3 w/ 180kg from slight deficit speed work

Pooped so did a few sets of banded leg curls and reverse hyper both super easy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/17 at 8:32am
3/10/17

Snatch Doubles - up to 100kg
Clean Doubles - up to 130kg
OHP - waves 3/1/3/1/3/1
Bent Rows w/ cambered bar - 4x8

3/11/17
OHP - 3 waves of 1,2,3
can't remember what else...

After podcasting at night...
Sumo Deads in power pants - worked up to 545 for a single. Fun to throw on some gear just for the hell of it. Hook grip PR

3/12/17
OHP - 4x5, 1x10
Lat Pulldown w/ fat bar 4x15
Belt Squat 5x5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/17 at 7:00pm
3/13/17

Lat Pulldowns 2x30
Face Pulls 2x20
Forgot to add that I've been doing the "ShoulderRok"...well my homemade version. Jury is still out.

OHP x 5,5,3,3,3,1,1,1,1

Power Snatch 4x3 @ 40,45,50,55kg - felt slooow

Snatch EMOM (after 90kg moved to every 1:30)
60,70,75,80,85,90,95,100,105,110,115 PR!
then attempted 120 - pumped up that I put it over my head, but it then came down and crashed on the back of my head. all good though. Not hurt at all (not even a bruise) and it's on video!

Buffalo Bar Back Squats 4x5 @ 355lbs

Pumped to just crush 115 and lifted without thinking tonight. Even more pumped with attempting 120 and believing in myself to actually get under it. Then squats were rough but got them done!
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/17 at 12:46pm
When do you recover?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/17 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Jeremy Robinson Jeremy Robinson wrote:

When do you recover?!

When I sleep? lol I train 5-6 days/week but things are a lot less on each day. Eating lots helps too. And when I take days down I still do a little something.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/15/17 at 3:08pm
3/14/17

Prep - lots of different stuff. Took around 30 mins with various stretches, exercises, etc. Felt pretty good.

OHP 8x2

Clean from Blocks below knee - worked up to 100kg
then did EMOM from 100kg to 140kg with 5kg jumps, no misses.
gave myself 1:30 and then hit 145kg

Shut it down. Solid day and pumped to hit cleans that solid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/16/17 at 7:36pm
3/15 - complete off day. and glad it went that way.

3/16
Mid-day - OHP work. lots of sets of 1-2 up to 80%ish

Night:
Front Squats 6x2 @95kg
Deads - up to 208 and 233kg (512lbs) for doubles
Speed Deads from 1.5" Deficit - 180kg for 10x3 (ugh)

As Jeremy noted, I need more recovery this week. I blame daylight savings time

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/17 at 8:51am
3/17
Trained and ate some good sushi. Hit a lower circuit of Belt Squats, GHR, 1-Leg Reverse Hypers, and easy 4x4 OHP.

3/18
Weightlifting movements- Snatch and Clean up to 90% with no misses (104/137kg)
OHP 7x2
Chaos Bench 3x15
Pullups 10x3

Then later that night after podcasting I hit a quick pump
TRX Inv Rows 3x10
OH Tricep Cable Ext 3x20
Fatbell Curl 3x15
Fatbell Side Delts 3x15

Slingshot Pushups 2xfailure
Banded Rear Delts 2xfailure

4x:
Prowler Sprint - down and back
Battle Ropes x 20sec

3/19 - 20min on Airdyne easy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/17 at 6:38pm
3/20

Morning - Forgot to hit my OHP yesterday so made it up real quick

Night: Followed the "Spring Cleaning" workout posted by Aaron Ausmus on the @penandpaperstrengthapp IG account. It was a good one. Then added my OHP at the end

Hang Power Cleans 3x3
Cleans 4x2
Clean Pulls 3x3
Front Squats 4x4 (these were tough. my low back was spent)

Tri-Set: 3X
Grenade Pullups x3
DB Pullover x5
RDL x5

OHP 5x3, 2x1

Got better today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/22/17 at 3:22pm
3/21 - threw for a little over 2 hours, but low back was beat up from Monday's lift (mainly front squats). LWFD, Light Hammer, and some shot puts. Nothing special, just happy to find a way/time to throw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/17 at 9:49am
3/22 - Took it easy, just did some little stuff. Was feeling pretty beat up (especially low back)

3/23
Morning:
OHP work
Front quats 6x2 @95kg
Deload Deads - triples up to 200kg

Night:
GHR 3x10
Reverse Hyper 3x10
Lat Pulldown 6x10
Farmers Walks - 100' with turn at 50', 3 sets
115/hand, 165, 215
Prowler "Sprints" - 100' with turn at 50', 5 sets
empty first time, then add 20kg each set

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/24/17 at 6:20pm
3/24

OHP Work
Snatch - up to 106kg (92%)
Clean and Jerk - up to 120kg
Clean - 130 and 140kg (92%)

Shut it down. Just a little run down. Need to recoop.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/17 at 6:23am
3/25 - worked and coached at a local weightlifting meet. That was a TON of fun. Got me a little motivated

3/26 - podcasted then hit a quick training session

OHP Work
Belt Squats - 10's at 135, 185, 225, 275, 315
Snatch - work up
Triple at 81kg (70%)
Double at 92kg (80%)
Single at 103kg (90%)
Clean & Jerk - work up
1CL + 3J at 105kg (75%)
1CL + 2J at 112kg (80%)
1CL + 1J at 119kg (85%)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/28/17 at 2:03pm
3/27

Various Warmup Stuff
OHP Work
Snatch Complex - Snatch + Drop Snatch + OH Squat
10kg jumps from 50kg up to 100kg. Happy with that 100kg set
Power Clean Doubles - worked up to 110kg for 2, then 2 singles at 120kg (literally stopped because I was going to rip my palms off)
"Speed" Squats - 120kg (264 American units) for 6x3...felt like poo poo. Should have had the Tendo out for these cuz they felt so awful.

Night - 4x12 rep Circuit
Lat Pulldowns
BB Curls
Face Pulls
Tricep Pushdowns
Lateral Delt Raises

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/17 at 9:37am
Various training leading into the weekend. I can only really remember what I did on the 30th.

3/30 Birthday Lift
6x2 Speed SQuats - felt slow
Deads - up to 530x2, slow
"speed deads" 5x3, slowish

4/1/17 Tartan Day South Games
O-Stone 35'3"
HWFD 30'1"
LWFD 60'8"
Braemar 31'9"
HHammer 92'8"
Caber - 3 turns, event win
16lb Sheaf 30'
WOB 14'
Overall - 5th

Not a terrible day by any means for no real practice over the past 4 months. Just goes to show that life/business can take you away from it. But this is motivating to push myself to try and find more/better ways to practice. I had fun. That was bottom line of the day and the goal. My brother threw awesome. I have found my stones are the fastest "to suck" when they are inconsistent in practice, and I felt "lost" 2-turning the weights. Hammer felt pretty good so hope to build on that next week. Caber was a lot of fun as my bro put the pressure on me to have to turn better than a 1:00 on my last attempt to take the event win. Sheaf was inconsistent but happy I can still yank 30' on just about any day. AND WHAT UP WOB! hopefully this becomes a consistent thing and getting stronger helps this event.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/17 at 10:54am
Great work man! I'm jealous, there is still a bunch of snow on the ground here

Sadness 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/17 at 9:26am
Holy Crap! It's been since April since I've update. I'm such a slacker...well here goes a couple big posts to catch up on the last few weeks...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/17 at 9:34am
Well just to preface these couple of longer posts, I have for those that may not know dropped some LBs and I have thrown a few lightweight games. Literally went from 237 Jan 1st to around 217 without really trying over 3 months (trick is to open a gym and force yourself to bring food every meal and practically live at the gym.) I fell like an ass saying that "I haven't really tried" but I still cheated plenty and was just more aware of my eating if anything. So I got to a point and said well if I clean it up I can make a water cut down. And here we are. So goals are to make LW Nationals and have some fun while bodyweight is down. And hey, I look better! Right?! Haha well that has always been something on my heart and that is not being a fat slob hypocrite telling my clients how to lean up. So that's major motivation too.

Set the training plan after the East TN Games to lead into Nats, first is a 5 week block lifting 6 days per week, with days being:

Light Bench/Upper
Moderate DL, Speed Squat, Lower
Light Oly Lifts Volume
Light/Moderate OHP/Speed Bench/Upper
More Light Oly Lifts Volume
Heavy Squat, Speed DL Lower

Goals are to re-introduce jumping by taking up box jump volume slowly, not destroy the shoulders, build the strength in the deadlift, high volume legs, begin incorporating some speed lifts, and just have some fun. Been trying out and really working on improving my recovery in all aspects too.

Throwing right now is volume working on fixing the suck any days I get a chance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/17 at 9:40am

5/27/2017 East TN Games

Braemar – 25’8”

Open Stone – 36’4”

42 HWFD – 41’9”

LWFD – 63’10”

H.Hammer – 87’5”

L.Hammer – 108’7”

Caber 12:00

16lb Sheaf – 24/27’

42 WOB – 16’ Stand

Not the best day but improved my ranking in the weights and got in marks in the open stone and heavy hammer. Stones have felt like complete crap as of late. Constantly felt like I was going to fall backwards in the hammers. WOB was easy to 16 then fell apart.

5/28/17

Dry Needling

Lots or shoulder warmup and prep, rotator cuff work

41” Box Jumps 6x1

A1 - Bench Press 4x6 245lbs

A2 - TRX Inv Rows 4x10

A3 - Planks 4x30s

B1 - Dips 4x10

B2 - Fat Bar Lat Pulldowns 4x10

B3 - Push/Pull Lunge Abs

Spring Gripper Work

Wasn’t supposed to push too much on the same day as the dry-needling but the body felt ok. Obviously would have preferred to take today off, but scheduling deemed otherwise. Followed this session up with a cookout with some gym members as well. Just starting the plan off right! Smooth day and moderate weights on everything. This day is meant to be a low-moderate intensity day for this first 5 weeks of the training cycle. No major focus and in coming weeks will probably be a heavier throwing day.

5/29/17

P1 - Reverse Hyper 2x20 90lb

P2 - 1-Arm Farmers 2x 85lbs

P3 - 1-arm OH Carry 2x 24kg

P4 - Dead Bugs 2x8 mini

Cambered Bar Speed Squats to Box

225 for 8x2 w/ 2 chains

Deads 4x6 @ 405lbs

A1 - RFESS w/ SSB 125x5, 175x5x2

A2 - GHR 3x10

A3 - Tree Trunks 3x10 5kg

A4 - Reverse Hyper 4x15 110#

Various Med Ball Throws

Today felt pretty solid, but this was a marathon session. Threw for a good while before this as well. From some of the coaching I have gotten lately, today’s throwing were stone put focused. Right now, the majority of my volume is in non-reverse throws. Took about 15 throws each standing and MSA, but all non-reverse. Lately, my feelings and thoughts have been “technique” and “throws are throws” and “volume is key” for my progress even when he distances may not be at their best right now. Throwing session came before the marathon lifting session, but the lifting session was great to feel that much volume and survive.

5/30/17

Box Jumps 8x1

Snatch 4x3

Clean and Jerk 4x3

A1 - Cambered Bar Bent Rows 4x8

A2 - Cable Bicep Rope Curl 3x20

A3 - V-Bar Tricep Pushdown 3x20

A4 – Plate Rotations 3x10

Throwing session today was about the same as yesterday with the stone, except a lot faster paced than yesterday as rain was coming. Also snuck in 10 1-turns with the lightweight for distance. Focus on these was the sprint and drive to the trig. After video, I am finding a fault in that I am spending too much time in the air and that I need to keep my left foot lower to the ground (it’s really high) and that I need to get all the way around at the finish and get down faster. Learning to love the weightlifting volume in this session. Weights aren’t very heavy, but I am not used to the volume. But it felt good to move smoothly with those movements again.

5/31/17

Throws – 10-15ish WOB Pulls with the 42 around 15-16 feet

Reverse Hyper 2x20 90lbs

Strict OHP 3x8

Side Planks 3x30s each side

Axle Speed Bench Press 9x3 135lbs + short mini bands

A1 - Fat Gripz Close Grip Pulldowns 4x15

A2 – DB Rear/Side Delt Raises 3x10 each

A3 – Landmine Abs 3x10

A4 – Reverse Hyper 4x15 110lbs

Was wanting to go get in some more stone practice today but had mega thunderstorm come through. WOB was ok, because really any WOB practice for me (compared to the past of none) is good WOB practice. Another smooth upper lift. Really excited about planned progressions with everything.

6/1/17

No throws today. Just listened to the body and took the day off from that.

Box Jumps 4x1

Snatch 5x3

2 Clean + 1 Jerk 5 sets

Split the session due to a client. Finished:

A1 – Pullup Variations 4x5

A2 – Pallof Variations

B1 – DB Fat Gripz Incline Skullcrusher 3x15

B2 – Fat Gripz DB Curls 3x15

Common theme has been a “smooth” week. I will be really happy to keep that theme through training as body will respond well and feel good. Gearing up for big day tomorrow!

6/2/17

12 Light Hammer Throws

8 42# 1-turns

20 28# cast and drop

10 28# 1-turn

14 28# 2-turn

Speed DL 285 + light bands 10x1

Cambered Bar Squats 350x3

Belt Squats 3x12

A1 – BB 1-Leg RDLs 3x8

A2 – Walking Lunges, 3 trips

B1 – Suitcase KB Swings 3x10

B2 – Ab Wheel 3x10

Murder Day! Low back was not feeling nice but gutted out this long and grueling day. Feel very accomplished. Throws weren’t big but with this being week 1 and a ton of new volume I am not letting it get to my head. Low back sucked right out of the gate with the hammers and fought through some of the heat and humidity. Long throws session. Rested up, ate a little, got in a 32oz Gatorade and laid on a heat pack and smashed the legs. Back felt ok with the speed pulls but didn’t like the squats so next week if it is feeling better the squats should go a lot better. Then definitely not used to the leg volume. Should be good and trashed tomorrow. Those BB 1-leg RDLs should get me right real quick.

6/3/17

Completed the Warrior Dash today (a 5k Obstacle Course Race) with my girlfriend and some gym members. The easiest race we have done and wasn’t bad even the day after leg day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/17 at 2:51pm

6/4/17

A1 - Bench Press 4x6 250lbs

A2 - TRX Inv Rows 4x11 + 1 chain

A3 - Planks 4x30s 10kg

B1 - Dips 4x11 + 1 chain

B2 - Fat Bar Lat Pulldowns 4x11

B3 - Push/Pull Lunge Abs 4x10

Back to Bench Day on a Sunday and everything felt pretty smooth. Nothing much else to report. Meal prep again for the week to stick to the plan and prepare for wedding this coming weekend.

6/5/17

Box Jumps 6x2

240/235 for 10x2 w/ 2 chains

Deads 4x6 @ 410lbs

A1 - RFESS w/ SSB 3x5 185lbs

A2 - GHR 3x12

A3 - Tree Trunks/Plate Rotations 3x10 10kg

Just wasn’t feeling it today. Things were moving slow and it was tough mentally to get through this session. Nothing special to report.

6/6/17

Throws Session

Weights For Distance

*Can’t remember all of what I threw. Obviously nothing too major but a decent volume so skipped some rotational ab work in the later training session.

Box Jumps 8x2

Snatch 4x3

Clean and Jerk 4x3

Volume in Oly Lifts suck. That is all.

6/7/17

Strict OHP 3x8

Side Planks 3x30s each side 10lbs

A2 – DB Rear/Side Delt Raises 3x11 each 18lb Fatbells

A3 – Landmine Abs 3x8

A4 – Reverse Hyper 5x20 140lbs

Shot Put Practice

Stand Non-Reverse x 9

Stand w/ Reverse x 6

Middle Spin Non-Reverse x 6

MSA Non-Reverse x 6

MSA Full w/ Reverse x 3

Things are coming back a little bit. Balance still off with the spins which is frustrating but reps are reps. Push feels more normal again. Lifting wise, today was a smooth day. Progress is progress.

6/8/17

Box Jumps 4x2

Power Snatch 5x3

2 Power Clean + 1 Jerk 5 sets

A1 – Pullup Variations 4x6

Rain kept me from throws today. Knees were feeling rough so hit powers in the weightlifting movements. These felt pretty good and even threw in some power jerks just because.

6/9/17

Throws Practice

Shot Put

LWFD

Threw with/after coaching a high school thrower that I train. Stone/shot mojo coming back and feeling good. Weights were another session of drills and smooth throws. Nothing special.

6/10/17

Speed Deadlift 10x1 295+ light bands

Cambered Bar Back Squat – top triple at 355lbs

Belt Squat 4x12

A1 – BB 1-Leg RDL 3x8/leg

A2 – Walking Lunges 3x gym length

B1 – Ab Wheel 3x12

B2 – Double KB Suitcase Swings 3x10

Wow. This session got rough! About got the pukes during the lunges/1-leg RDLs. But felt good to murder this session. This was a morning session too which is not my best time to train, but headed to Raleigh for the day for a wedding. While in Raleigh, checked out 3 breweries and also got some BBQ from the Famous “the Pit” in Raleigh. Had a really really fun time at the wedding as well and the food was out of sight too!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/17 at 6:21pm
Hey man, glad to see you back posting!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/17 at 3:33pm
Damn I suck at staying up to date...working on catching up and will post a bigger post either tonight or tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/17 at 9:48pm

6/11/17

Got in a 30 minute walk this evening as it was the day back from a wedding and I was still in full on recovery-mode. To be honest, I don’t think I’ve been that hungover in 2 years. Just too dehydrated from the day before. Got in a solid meal prep to get everything back on track though.

6/12/17

A1 - Bench Press 4x6 255lbs

A2 - TRX Inv Rows 4x12 w/ 2 chains

A3 - Planks 4x30s

B1 - Dips 4x12

B2 - Fat Bar Lat Pulldowns 4x12

B3 - Push/Pull Lunge Ab 4x10 (2 each)

C1 – DB Curl w/ Fat Gripz 3x15

C2 – DB Fat Gripz Incline Skullcrusher 3x15

1-Turn LWFD x 20 reps

2-Turn LWFD x 12 reps

Middle Spin 16lb Shot x 9 reps

MSA Shot Put x 6 reps

Huge number of reps in the throws today. Really just put the head down and pushed through them. Worked on acceleration in different positions. Felt a little more finish and push and had some bigger throws without much effort.  Got the shot put mojo back a little putting some throws back over the 40’ mark for the first time in a while. Conditioning seems to be coming up as this lifting session added a little more on the end yet I still felt fine. Recovery is going well.

6/13/17

Box Jumps 6x3

240 for 12x2 w/ 2 chains

Deads 4x6 @ 415lbs

A1 - RFESS w/ SSB 3x5 195lbs

A2 - GHR 3x14

A3 - Tree Trunks/Plate Rotations 3x10

Shorter lifting session today and some knee pain was there the whole day (probably from the tons of throws the day before). So also stayed away from throwing today. Speed squats felt MUCH better this week and moved faster with more weight so that’s promising. I still hate more than singles in the deadlift, which probably means it’s good for me. But overall once again managed well through this session so it seems that recovery and adaptation are going well.

6/14/17

Throws

42 HWFD 1-Turn x 10

42 HWFD 2-Turn x 6

LWFD 1-Turn x 8

LWFD 2-Turn x 6

Box Jumps 8x3

Snatch 4x3 57, 62,67,72kg

Clean and Jerk 4x3 73,73,80,80kg

Reverse Hypers 2x20, 4x15

It was HOT during that mid-day throwing session. Fouled “on purpose” to work push into the field. Slowly getting it. And I still hate triples in the clean and jerk and snatch.

6/15/17

Strict OHP 3x8 130lbs

A2 – Reverse Hyper 100 reps

A3 – Pullups 4x7

WOB Throws – took these pre-training. Nothing special. Getting in work.

6/16/17

Had a quick morning throws session of some stone and light hammer before heading down to Columbia, SC for the day for the Refelxive Performance Reset (RPR) Certification. This is some pretty awesome stuff that I will be implementing immediately into my training.

6/17/17

Speed Deadlift 10x1 305+ light bands

Cambered Bar Back Squat – top triple at 360lbs

Belt Squat 5x12 295

B1 – Ab Wheel 3x14

This day still sucked but went much smoother than last weeks. Maybe I was just more mentally prepared for it. But the speed deads felt super fast today.

6/18/17

A1 - Bench Press 4x6 260lbs

A2 - TRX Inv Rows 4x13 w/ 3 chains

A3 - Planks 4x30s

B1 - Dips 4x12

B3 - Push/Pull Lunge Abs 2x10 (2 each)

C1 – Farmers Carry 2X

C2 – Reverse Hyper 3x20

Box Jumps 4x3

Quick Sunday lift. Very solid day overall with the increases in loads with not as much volume increase on this day from last week.

6/19/17

Long Monday and took it off training and throwing with a big lift day planned tomorrow.

6/20/17

245 for 14x2 w/ 2 chains

Then drove to a different gym to train with some other people and they have some different equipment.

Deads 4x6 @ 420lbs

A1 - RFESS w/ SSB 3x5/leg 200lbs

A2 – Back Attack 3x10

No throwing today as schedule didn’t allow and had a big lift day planned. Always good to get a change of scenery and get after it with some different people. Still a battle today.

6/21/17

Box Jumps 6x4

Snatch 4x3 59, 64, 69, 74kg

Clean and Jerk 4x3 76, 76, 80, 80kg

Reverse Hypers 4x15

Just back on the grind. And remembering that I hate triples in the Snatch and Clean and Jerk. It’s just like cardio.

6/22/17

Box Jump 8x4

Strict OHP 3x8 135lbs

A1 - Fat Gripz Close Grip Pulldowns 2x15

A2 – Reverse Hyper 5x20

A3 – Pullups 4x8

A4 – DB Side/Rear Delt Raises w/ 18lb Fatbells 3x12

6/23/17

Power Snatch 5x3 74kg

2 Power Clean + 1 Jerk 5 sets 88kg

A1 – Fat CG Pulldown 2x15

A2 – Landmine Abs 3x6/side

Once again, as I continue to echo – I hate triples in the weightlifting movements.

6/24/17

Speed Deadlift 10x1 315+ light bands

Cambered Bar Back Squat – top triple at 365lbs

Belt Squat 6x12

B1 – Ab Wheel 3x16

BAM! Crushing this day as much as it is crushing me! Feeling really good especially with how good this day is going.

6/25/17

A1 - Bench Press 4x6 265lbs

A2 - TRX Inv Rows 4x14 w/ 20lb vest +2 chains

A3 - Planks 4x30s

B1 - Dips 4x12

B3 - Push/Pull Lunge Abs 2x10 (2 each)

C1 – Reverse Hyper 3x20

Top bench day of the cycle and things continued to go smoothly. Really happy that pretty much every lift here continued to improve and feel strong.

6/26/17

It seems like Mondays have become a really good day off for me. Just with a busy work schedule and hectic weekends I guess it just lines up.

6/27/17

Morning: 42lb WFD Throws…Not a great day. But hey, reps are reps.

Box Jumps 6x5

250 for 16x2 w/ 2 chains

Deads 4x6 @ 425lbs

A1 - RFESS w/ SSB 2x5 215lbs

A2 - GHR 2x16

Welp…this session ended abruptly with me fighting off hamstring cramps and the voms. Just was not feeling it although I have been hydrating well. Maybe food and sleep not with it. But I felt like crap for a solid 30 mins after that last set of GHRs.

6/28/17

Snatch 4x3 61, 66, 71, 76kg

Clean and Jerk 4x3 80,80, 84, 84kg

A1 - Cambered Bar Bent Rows 3x20 95/105/115

A2 - Cable Bicep Rope Curl 3x20 light

A3 - V-Bar Tricep Pushdown 3x20 light

So I think I somehow strained my left bicep on what I am thinking was the Fat bar Lat Pulldowns from 2 training sessions prior. Ugh. Well, at least it’s left side. But rain has also been killing throwing lately. Just have to stay after it as much as I can.

6/29/17

Morning Throws:

Worked the Glide technique on a whim with the shot put. Just seeing what maybe could come out of it.

42WFD Cast drills, followed by some 1-turns and fulls and let’s just say things went pretty well!

Strict OHP 3x8 140lbs

Reverse Hyper 2x20

Just did some random stuff after this and cut it short to nurse the bicep.

6/30/17

Box Jump 8x4

Snatch – worked up to some moderately heavy singles at 90kg

Clean and Jerk – worked up to something moderately heavy at 120kg

Another day of shutting it down early with accessories. Just nursing the arm. Catching multiple reps in the WL movements was hurting the bicep some but dropping the singles was fine. And just wanted to feel out a little tester and feel some heavier weight.

7/1/17

Speed Deadlift 10x1 325+ light bands

Cambered Bar Back Squat – top triple at 370lbs

Belt Squat 7x12

Took it easy after these main lifts as a big of a deload to end the cycle. Was pretty gassed after all the squats as well. Had Stacy Burr and crew drop into the gym. She is one of the top Powerlifters in the world and placed 2nd overall at the CETC US Open. Cool chick, and strong as hell!

7/2/17

Bench Press 3x8 @ 255lbs

A1 – Band Facepulls 3x20 w/ monster band

A2 – Band Pullaparts lying on bench 3x20 w/ monster band

Box Jumps 4x5

3x20 Reverse Hyper

5x5 Hi Hang Cleans

Had a packed house in the gym this Sunday with multiple training crews in lifting so I just jumped in and mixed and matched things to stay out of the way and have some fun.

7/3/17

Took today as an “off day” to just get some rest in. Just overall things weren’t feeling the best and mentally couldn’t get up for it.

7/4/17

Seated Box Jumps 5x1

SSB Speed Box Squats – 12x2 w/ 195lbs against light and mini bands, best avg. vel. 0.81m/s

Deadlifts 6x4 @ 430lbs

A1 – 6sec Eccentric SSB Goodmornings 4x6 w/ 110lbs

A2 – 6sec Eccentric SSB RFE Split Squat 4x4/leg w/ 110lbs

***NOTE: THIS WAS HELL!!!

B1 - Reverse Hyper 2x20, 4x15

B2 – 3x10 22lb Hammer Winds each side

This session was BRUTAL!!!! Took a good while and missed the 4th of July Parade down the street but relaxed at the pool after. This starts a mini tri-phasic wave with these 2 accessory lifts – interested to see how I end up feeling. It was hot today too!

7/5/17

Seated Box Jumps  7x1

Snatch 5x2 @ 70kg, best peak vel. @ 2.69m/s

Clean and Jerk 5x2 @ 90kg, best peak vel. @ 2.39m/s for the clean and 2.11m/s for the jerk

Front Squat 5x2 @ 90kg, best avg. vel. @ 0.9m/s

Found out that I “officially” made the invite to LW Nationals in September. Pumped. Doubles are way more fun than triples. Felt strong in the lifts and tracked peak velocities just for fun to see where they may end up.

7/6/17

Seated Box Jumps 3x1

Push Press 4x6

Speed Bench 9x3 on Axle – 135 + Short Monster Bands

A1 – DB Hammer Curls 3x10

A2 – Rope Tricep Pushdown + OH Extension 3x10 each

A3 – Cable Upright Row 3x15 light

Lighter day overall. Push press was a new monster, bench speeds were very good.

7/7/17

SSB Squats – doubles up to 375

A1 – Belt Squats 3x10 325lbs

A2 – Reverse Hyper 5x20

A3 – Snatch Grip High Hang High Pulls 5x5

B1 – Step Ups 3x6/leg

B2 – Weighted Ab Wheel 3x10 w/ 10kg

Today was a pretty exciting day to bring the new stuff into this block of training. Squats felt strong and definitely left some in the tank. Step Ups were a fun change that I haven’t done in forever. Concert this evening after this added to leg day standing the whole time. Wanted to sleep during tailgate haha

7/8/17

Off day to travel to plan to coach but ended up judging the Liftmas in July Weightlifting Meet at Crossfit Hickory. My girlfriend and her training partner competed and did awesome! Amanda went 6/6 with a 46kg snatch and 60kg clean and jerk and Bre went 3/6 with a 62kg snatch and a 82kg clean and jerk.

7/9/17

Throws Morning: Goal today was to get after some throws like “mini-comp”

Shot  - Some Stands followed by around 10 MSA with the 16lb shot

56lb WFD – threw 5 full throws

42lb WFD – Took 6ish Full Throws

28lb WFD – Took 5ish Full Throws

Bench Press 3x8 @ 260lbs

A1 – Band Facepulls 3x20 w/ monster band

A2 – Band Pullaparts lying on bench 3x20 w/ monster band

B1 - Cambered Bar Bentover Rows 3x10

B2 – Lateral Shoulder Raises 3x10

B3 – Front Delt Raises 3x10

Awesome throws session today. Feeling really good! Cruised through the lift today. Putting in work. Found out I got into Dublin Irish Fest in Ohio in August. Big games so excited to compete again!

7/10/17

Morning Throws:

10 Light Hammer McKim Slam Drills

10 Light Hammer Throws – felt much better than last hammer session

42lb WOB – Bunch of Pulls

Seated Box Jumps 5x2

SSB Speed Box Squats – 10x2 w/ 205lbs against light and mini bands, best avg. vel. 0.83m/s

Deadlifts 6x4 @ 440lbs

A1 – 6sec Eccentric SSB Goodmornings 4x6 w/ 150lbs

A2 – 6sec Eccentric SSB RFE Split Squat 4x4/leg w/ 150lbs

***NOTE: THIS WAS STILL HELL!!!

B1 - Reverse Hyper 2x25

These eccentrics were really tough tonight. Deads went smooth but the push on these eccentrics was a whole new level with the higher loads than last week. Going to be so sore. But speed squats moved faster this week with more weight – which is a huge positive.

7/11/17

Morning Throws:

Lots of Shot Drills – 1,2 drills, Braemars, and wheel drills

2 1-turns with the 14 – that was kinda fun

Around 15 cast and drop with the 42

Around 10 cast and push with the 42

Snatch 5x2 @ 75kg, best peak vel. @ 2.56m/s

Clean and Jerk 5x2 @ 95kg, best peak vel. @ 2.36m/s for the clean and 1.98m/s for the jerk

Front Squat 5x2 @ 95kg, best avg. vel. @ 0.79m/s

Was feeling beat to hell from yesterday’s session but gutted through this one and got it done quicker than normal as well.

7/12/17

Seated Box Jumps  7x2

SSB Squats – doubles up to 380

A1 – Belt Squats 4x10

A2 – Reverse Hyper 5x20

A3 – Snatch Grip High Hang High Pulls 5x5

B1 – Step Ups 3x6/leg

B2 – Weighted Ab Wheel 3x10 w/ 15kg

Had Chiro early this morning and I am beat up sore from Monday’s eccentrics, but with travel this upcoming weekend I knew I had to change things up and get today in. Was rough but moved smooth and got through it in the heat today. Excited to be feeling this good and things moving this well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/17 at 12:38pm

7/13/17

Off day. Had clients in the morning and some stuff to deal with before heading out of town.

7/14/17

Morning Throws

Stands w/ 20lb shot x some

MSA’s with 16lb shot x more

42lb WFD x 4 cast and push

42lb WFD 1-turn x2

42lb WFD Full Throws x 6

16lb Hammer McKIm Drill x 4

16lb Hammer Full Throw x8

Stone throws went ok. 42lb for distance felt really good and went well. Hammer was feeling pretty good today too but blades are pretty much done for and sweat was killing the tacky as well. But all in all a very good day of throws. Ended up in town a day later than expected and was really glad to get this in.

7/15/17

Out of town – off day

7/16/17

Out of town – off day

Aaron George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/17 at 5:25pm
your face had an off day.

burn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 24>
  Share Topic