Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dinnie Stones - No longer available for lifting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Dinnie Stones - No longer available for lifting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinnie Stones - No longer available for lifting
    Posted: 11/29/13 at 11:51am
  Some bad news from Scotland. The Dinnie Stones are no longer at the Potarch Hotel. The hotel is being renovated and this will take about a year and a half. The stones have been relocated to Aboyne and locked away. My understanding is that one man has control of them for now and they will be available for lifting at the Aboyne Highland Games only or at his discretion. But above all, they will not be in Potarch and they will not be available for anyone to go and lift. 

There are present efforts to make them available to the public again. I am told however that it does not look good. But, just as with the The Blue Stanes of Old Dailley and for a time the Stone of the Fianna, they are unavailable for lifting. 

Bill 

"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/13 at 1:51pm
That's a shame. While I would probably never be able to actually lift them, it would be nice to be able to try next September
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/13 at 7:22am
Just spoke to the Secretary of the Aboyne Games - Ian Scott.

The Aboyne Games Committee have agreed to be custodians of the Stones on behalf of the owners while the hotel is being refurbished.

They are currently looking to see what kind of insurance cover would be needed to enable the stones to make an appearance at their Games.

The stones are owned by Ballogie Estate Enterprises, Ballogie Estate Office, Aboyne, Aberdeenshire AB34 5DS with Malcolm Nichol being the contact there.

Ian understands  that one of the shackles appears to be weak and that it looks like it is going to be necessary for somebody to replace one of the bolts.

Because Donald Dinnie was a competitor at the Northern Meeting Games here in Inverness in 1863; (which probably explains the huge crowd that turned up that year and resulted in the building of Northern Meeting Park in 1864), I was wondering if we could get the stones over here for the MWC2014 competitiors to see.

However, the fact there is a question mark over one of the shackles is worrying.

I would hate to have them there and have MWC2014 competitiors unable to try to lift them. I imagine that would be irresistable.

I think I am going to have a think about this and speak to the owners. You never know..... 
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/13 at 6:16pm
That's fixable. It would be a bigger deal if it were one of the rings that needed changing, because they're a significant part of the challenge.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/13 at 8:58pm
As a welder I can say that a weak ring is easy to fix. Its the nice thing about metal, its easily repaired and reinforced

Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/13 at 5:07pm
Fix it Landrich.
The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/13 at 8:59pm
If they have a welder available next September or pay my airfare in the meantime, I'm there.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/14 at 7:46am
www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/dinnie-stanes-feat-of-strength-to-be-recreated-1-3303516

They are fixed!!!
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/14 at 8:01am
Good deal.
The man in the arena.
Sutherland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sutherland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/14 at 9:50am
Great news
Ali.G View Drop Down
World Champ - ’95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/14 at 4:07pm
Who was the guy that walked 19ft with them last year, I'm pretty sure he will be at Aboyne games walking with them, I might go and watch and maybe have a throw to showup some young pups lol. 
Aboyne is a great Games, it has a pair of hammers that are the hardest to throw on the circuit, the handles have remained the same since 100 years. Only about 4 people have thrown the heavy over 110ft and the light not many over 138ft maybe 3?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/14 at 9:36am
http://www.aboynegames.com/

2nd August 2014
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/14 at 9:37am
See you there.
The man in the arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic