Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

multiple sets or One big set?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Alabama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: multiple sets or One big set?
    Posted: 12/18/13 at 3:18pm
5 months ago I started with 5 sets of 5 on my lifts. I've progressed up to 2 or 3 hard work sets of 3.
I tried to go from 3 sets of 3 last week (deadlifting) to 2 sets of 5 yesterday.
Here's my work set.

my question is: would it be better to have tried for 10 flat out? Or does breaking down into multiple sets work better?

Jason Irvin - Alabama Home Gym - no gym no problem.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 3:28pm
I honestly don't think anyone is going to be able to make that decision for you.  Me?  Multiple sets, for sure.  But then I have buddies, some on here, who aren't any stronger than I am, that can bang out reps, at a good weight, that would flat out render me useless for a week or more.  You have to find your body's sweet spot.
...Josh
J Alabama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Alabama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 4:16pm
Thanks. I'm trying to learn to listen to my body. But i get overzealous at times.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 4:28pm
Yeah.   Me too.
...Josh
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/13 at 5:20pm
"who aren't any stronger than I am"

Not many are, you big dirty man you.

Jason, please read the following at your leisure...HR kinda talks about being overzealous.

The man in the arena.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 8:17am
As long as you can come back next time and do more it is working, when you can't then look for another path.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
ledfist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ledfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 9:10am
Love the gear, Jason.
J Alabama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Alabama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/13 at 11:00am
Duncan. Thanks for the Rollins read. That was great.
I usually end up pushing way over into overtrained. A good bit.
I've been able to avoid overtraining for the past 6 mos. That's a new record.
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/13 at 10:01pm
Just my opinion. Its all about the power, not just strength, you exert in the movement. Assuming that you are near your max and moving relatively slowly, training that heavy all the time trains your body to move slowly. If you are exploding upwards quickly, a la an Olympic lifter, then all is well.
J Alabama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Alabama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/14 at 8:36am
Mike, I hear what you are saying about training singles all the time. Personally,  my body will not let me do it that way for very long. I like to do multiple sets of "speed" work along with chopping down trees. But I usually am only able to train for very abbreviated amounts of time.My schedule restrictions almost force me to adapt to a more "caveman" simple type workout.
bwhite829 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwhite829 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/14 at 8:34am
Personally, my understanding of HG events(I'm looking to get started so no throwing experience yet) is it is all explosive(think olympic lifting type of explosive strength).  As you go further in a set, you lose the ability to lift explosively(even though every set should be done as explosively and as fast a tempo as possible for maximum power, no slow negatives for explosiveness).  1-5 rep ranges IMO are best for this and as mike landrich alluded to, heavy training is going to not be fast, regardless of how explosive you try to make it.  There are a few ways to get around this:

Look into dynamic effort(yes I realize it is for PL but the principals have merits across strength sport disciplines) basically 60-65%(you don't need bands) 1rm for 6x2-8x3, etc as fast as possible
Look into clusters(basically a version of a rest/pause set).  rather than just doing a set of 5 reps @ 80-85% 1rm, take a 10 sec break each rep(actually rack the weight) and focus on max power.  OLY lifters naturally do this when they drop the weight, gives them a few seconds between each rep so they aren't banging out reps as fast as possible.  

If you are wanting to put on mass, extended sets & overall volume and negatives are a good way to mix things up but for throwing, sprinting, jumping, olympic lifts(virtually anything that requires you to exert maximal force as quickly as possible) these can be(not always will be but they can) detrimental and reinforce the habit of lifting slowly.(basically I expounded on mike's post w/ some empirical evidence and evidence in my limited experience throughout my lifting lifetime)
bwhite829 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwhite829 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/14 at 8:43am
Originally posted by J Alabama J Alabama wrote:

Mike, I hear what you are saying about training singles all the time. Personally,  my body will not let me do it that way for very long. I like to do multiple sets of "speed" work along with chopping down trees. But I usually am only able to train for very abbreviated amounts of time.My schedule restrictions almost force me to adapt to a more "caveman" simple type workout.

Look into something like 5/3/1 or cube.  Sure you can spend alot of time in the gym w/ either of these but you don't have to.  With 5/3/1 currently my main lifts are done, with rep out on my 1 & 5/3/1 weeks and then I do a set of 2-3 singles @ 95%-100% TM(up to 90% of true 1rm) and then move to BBB.  You can knock out bbb and just a down set and be done.  Example:

squat or DL day:
(after warmup sets)
5/3/1 clean/snatch variation(just doing the minimum sets and doing down sets if time allows so on 5/3/1 week it'd look like the following)
5 reps @ 85% TM
3 reps @ 90% TM
1 rep @ 95% TM(if time allows go to)
3 reps @ 90% TM
5 reps @ 85% TM

Squat/DL:
(after a couple warm up sets)
5 reps @ 85% TM
3 reps @ 90% TM
1+ rep @ 95% TM(rep out as many as possible, leaving 1-2 reps in the tank, never go to failure)
If you are feeling strong this day do the following:
2-5 singles @ 97.5% TM
1-3 singles @ TM
If you aren't feeling good or you aren't up for singles just go for a PR at your 1+ rep @ 90% and call it a day or go for a final set @ 5(+) reps w/ 85% TM(first set last)

If you have time for assistance, you can do stiff leg deadlifts/kb swings, or other posterior chain/lowerbody assistance.  If not, you've had an excellent workout that focused on maximum strength AND explosive power and got some volume work in too.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic