Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

speed sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: speed sensor
    Posted: 1/30/14 at 7:27pm
http://www.sportssensors.com/

Has anyone used what is basically a radar gun to measure bar speed? I figure if you set this up at a specific height, you can measure bar speed as the bar passes the sensor.

and for $100, its a steal compared to those other units that they don't make anymore.
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/14 at 8:40pm
really?!?!?!?! no responses

I was wondering if this would be an effective training tool.
Josh Plumb
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 9:33am
The question is always going to be how pedantic you're going to get with your training. Are you seriously going to log the bar speed of every set you ever do? Does this unit have the kind of accuracy you're looking for? or would you be better served just mentally making sure you aren't grinding lifts?

Honestly, there was a reason those other units fell out of favour. Unless you've got a coach doing it for you or no real job and tons of time on your hands, setting up and logging this stuff gets old fast.

Training isn't nearly as complex as some would make it.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 9:45am
What Sean said.  

I'm also of the opinion that one's base strength needs to be really high to see the benefits of training that way.  I could be wrong there, but that's the way I feel about it. 
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 12:22pm
There are also simpler approaches to speed training for the throws. For example, use an underweight WOB implement and do repetition tosses over a bar of fixed height. You get stronger and faster in a very sport specific manner that is easy to measure. (But don't go too underweight since this changes your mechanics.)

There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view there is always the same.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
litlchiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote litlchiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 1:31pm
I have a Power Factor and love it. I use it about once a month just to make sure my bar speed is staying were it needs to be, so I don't have tons of logging info. as far as the radar gun, what type of sppeds does it give, I don't think MPH would be useful.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 2:05pm
I wouldn't use it everyday. Probably just as a testing day type of tool. The set up seems pretty easy. You basically put the sensor in front of where the bar is. Seems pretty simple to me.

I was wondering about the MPH, but I figure speed is speed regardless of how you measure it.

I was hoping that somebody had tried this before. Seems like a simple tool if it works. If it can measure the head speed of a golf club, I'm sure bar speed wouldn't be an issue.
Josh Plumb
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 2:35pm
Josh, I see no reason why it would not work.  I would personally try to mount it below or above the bar to monitor the change in velocity over the lift.  This is, of course, the definition of acceleration, so it would be a relevant metric for evaluation.  Of course if you mounted it below, make sure you don't drop the bar.  lol

As far as measuring in MPH...no biggie.  Just a unit conversion to m/s.  Just make sure that the unit can measure speeds that slow (1 m/s is ~2 mph).
www.sportkilt.com
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/14 at 9:51pm
I think you're missing the bigger picture. If it can measure the head speed of a golf club, can it measure the head speed of a hammer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/14 at 7:48am
Hmmm.... Hammer speed!!!! Thanks agm_

Might I could finally prove to my brain and body that long arms equal faster head speed.

Thanks Rob.
Josh Plumb
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/14 at 10:47am
Adam, you ask the important question here.

My brother is a golf pro who has a tool he uses with his clients that does this very thing, measures club head and ball speed off the club face.  We have talked about setting it up and doing some experiments with the hammer. 

I will report back if we ever actually get around to it.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/14 at 12:57pm
I just saw this thing today:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atlas-the-first-fitness-tracker-that-actually-tracks-your-workout

Supposedly can track speed/movement in all 3 planes, and has open-source capability to create custom tracking apps. If it works as advertised, it could be a pretty cool next-gen replacement for the power factor units. Also thinking if you wore it on a throwing arm you could probably get a graphical log of your form in all 3 axes. Not sure if that would be helpful or too much info, but seems interesting to think about.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/14 at 2:26pm
I still figure the time and money spent on this would be better spent on either getting better or getting stronger.

Or invested in a time machine to let you go back and pick better parents for throwing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/14 at 6:49pm
I know, I know....shut up and throw.
I was just asking if anybody had used this unit or a similar unit before. Sometimes, having more USEFUL information can be helpful. However, the KISS method works often also.
Josh Plumb
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/14 at 2:33pm
JP recently took a job coaching the throws at a local college and saw a lot of gadgets A-Z in training hall, no idea what half shit is for ... commented what's the circus in town. Take the 100 gas up the car and go spend the weekend lifting and throwing with the folks.

Go take the oly lifting club cert level 1 - you'll learn all about bar speed. It's offered by USA weightlifting.
I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic