FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Nutrition Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nutrition Advice
    Posted: 2/18/14 at 3:04pm
I'm starting this thread so as Sean put it help along The guys and ladies who either what a little more meat on them and less trimming lol or in general more meat for those looking to get bigger.I guess the best way to start this is set it up to open up for questions and i'll advise and answer the questions as they come thru.Also I can answer and advise on supplements as well.I've been a nutritionist and diet coach for athletes since 01. So I guess let the questions begin! Also anyone looking for a customized plan can pm me with questions as well.   Hope I can help all achieve there goals!! 

Chad
Intensity Is Everything
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/14 at 3:14pm
What kind of athletes have you worked with?  Professionals?
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/14 at 3:24pm
Yes pro and am athletes in bodybuilding,fitness,figure,strongman,powerlifting,highland games,football, baseball,mma fighters you name it. I've been nutritionist for bodybuilding IFBB pro Charles Dixon since 08.and i'm currently the strength&conditioning coach as well as nutritionist for The Kennel MMA where we have multiple pro fighters.
Intensity Is Everything
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/14 at 7:53am
Ha! Dude, I thought you were just going to be laying down some general guidelines, timing, tips, etc. Now you've just opened the flood gates.

I may have to formulate real questions!
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/14 at 8:51am
Lol well Sean I guess since you put it that way I may have. I just find it's easier to answer questions due to people having different schedules and times they eat and workout and work and all. 
Intensity Is Everything
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/14 at 2:19pm
The answer to all highland games nutrition questions is just two words - MORE PUDDING!
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/14 at 5:09pm
Unless the question is how do you get less pudding around the middle!! 
Intensity Is Everything
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/14 at 8:25pm
What do you recommend for the over 50 athletes that are sore all the time from working out. The older I get the more soreness I have.
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/14 at 8:41pm
Bill I recommend glucosamine&chondroitin with msm everyday and on training days a teaspoon of glutamine immediately following your workout.
Intensity Is Everything
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/14 at 11:19am
And pudding.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
feefiefofeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feefiefofeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/14 at 12:15pm
I have a general-ish question. How might someone who eats a relatively low-carb diet (for weight loss purposes) get enough carbohydrates to sustain herself?

Here's the situation: For example, about a year ago, I began a "Cutting" regimen, very low carb compared to what I was doing before (around 100 per day, and 150-200 g of protein a day), with the goal of only losing about 10lbs and leaning out a bit. I lost about 20 lbs, and have since then slowly and gradually gained back about 10. The routine just became impossible to maintain - I felt foggy often, and was tired all the time, but I did feel faster when I competed. Now I'm struggling. I switched to a higher carb regimen, but am feeling a bit "puffy" as it were. Haha. My lifts have exploded, and I feel stronger than ever, but it's scary to see that number creep back up. What do you think? Other factors to explore?
Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond all reason the opinions of others.
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/14 at 2:36pm
Well i'd say you dropped your carbs a bit to low.however when you say you upped your carbs how high did you up the carbs too? And i'm gonna say when you lowered your carbs you didn't up your essential fats which will keep you feeling full and give you more energy at the same time burning fat. 
Intensity Is Everything
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/14 at 12:16pm
Here's a question--and I'll PM you if it needs to be more specific.  I'm hypoglycemic and have tried a number of ways pre-game/during games to fend off the crashes.  What would you say is a good pre games meal and what would be smart snack foods and spacing throughout the day?  I can be on the field 8-9 hours and lunch breaks can be quick and made up from whatever we have on hand.
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/14 at 2:28pm
Pete here are 3 options. 2 are pretty much the same lol 1) use 100% whole wheat sandwich thins,all natural peanut butter&no sugar added jam or jelly and make up some pbj's b4 u got to the event. And grab on or a half of one as u can thru the games.(a lot of my strongman guys do that and love it) 2) pretty much same concept but use rice cakes instead of bread.(loved by bodybuilders everywhere backstage) 3) make up some oatmeal in containers b4 hand with a bit of protein powder mixed in and some raisins. Grab a spoon full or 2 as u can between events. As long as u don't mind cold oats it isn't bad. I hope that is somewhat of a help. All those options will kkeep your energy and strength up insulin levels balanced and no real bloated feeling.
Intensity Is Everything
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/14 at 4:24pm
Thanks!  I bounced around trying a bit of everything--and nothing.  Best I felt was when by accident, my wife gave me a penutbutter/banana/honey sandwich.  I tried it again, tossed back some gulcerna (I get it for free) kept the gatorade going and had three of those sandwiches throughout the day.  I really appreciate your input--it is SO not cool to get the shakes and fighting to keep from passing out during a HG event.
schaive79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schaive79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/14 at 4:45pm
Yeah that's never a good feeling! I've used all of those methods thru the years and have always worked for me and my athletes. Let me know how it works out for you please. 
Intensity Is Everything
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic