Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Don McKenzie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don McKenzie
    Posted: 2/27/14 at 5:20pm
I got a note from Jack Hillman saying that Don passed away yesterday, and I thought I'd share the news. I threw with Don at my first games back in 1989 and for several years after. He competed in Highland Games and power lifting into his seventies, and he was always the first one to offer advice and cheer on a fellow athlete. He'll be missed.
Ryan Vierra View Drop Down
World Champ - ’96, ’97, ’98, ’05, ’06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Vierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/14 at 2:50am
Don was a great Man! Our prayers go out to is family. He will be missed!

Highland Games Training Visit: www.IHGFTV.com
My email: ryanvierra@worldheavyevents.com
Ali.G View Drop Down
World Champ - ’95

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/14 at 5:27pm
Don was a great character, loved and hated his cabers at Bethlehem, RIP.
nesa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 11:04am
Sad news...Don taught me how to throw the sheaf when I first started out. Really nice guy and always willing to help. He'll be missed. My prayers to his family
Erik
Proud member of "Team Fulsterkur"
Jason Pauli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jason Pauli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 8:09pm
Every now and then we lose a piece of our history and it hurts like hell.

Each time I personally take a few moments to reflect and count myself lucky to be a part of all this.

I've too many memories of Don to list.

However my favorite is when we were just starting out as amateurs at Ligonier, he warned Kurt not to hurt himself in the WOB. Kurt, as only he can, didn't say a word to him, looked at me as if he was asking, "Jason who the heck is this guy?!?!", and proceeded to smoke us.

Don was a great sport and whenever we reminded him of it he exclaimed, "Can you blame me? You know how skinny he was!"

One thing a lot of folks may not know is that he was a fine woodworker. Mom and Dad had him make Diane and I a quilt rack for our wedding. I think of him every time I see it.

He was truly one of the best we had.

Jason
Team Pauli - You never walk alone
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/14 at 8:20pm
Very sorry to hear about Don. He truly cared about Highland Games and was very generous with his time and praise. It will be tough going to the Celtic Classic and not have Don there. Prayers for his family.
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/04/14 at 11:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic